76 replies to this topic

#21 grendeldog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 340 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:02 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 03 February 2016 - 06:41 PM, said:

Yes, i posted a thread like this for the marauder too.
Some people said that the prices are just high because those are the unseen and they may need the cash in case any legal issues happen.

That reason does not hold for the Kodiak though.

Well. I guess we all have different opinions on this matter.

I retract my point about the Marauder then.

That said, my main point remains: what causes you to object to the choice to pay extra to subsidize the game for people such as yourself who choose - and the choice is valid because it is an individual's decision - to wait for the C-bill releases?

In effect I'm paying to keep the game going so you don't have to. That's how I've viewed all my MWO purchases. I've put enough money into ephemeral digital game objects that one day will cease to exist when the servers are turned off to be considered a whale I suppose. I think I've gotten my money's worth many times over in the fun I've had passing this game. I should think that would be a plus for those who cannot afford such purchases, no?

I will say I prefer the multi-mech packs. But the model has gone from MC mastery packs to dollar multi-mech packs to individual mech packs, that's just how PGI is running it. It's not a big enough deal to me to get upset about.

#22 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:05 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 03 February 2016 - 05:35 PM, said:

20$ for the basic pack is ok... and it has good contents.

yet for an additional 20$ you only get a re-skin of a variant that you already have and thats it...
does this sound reasonable to you?

Wouldn't call it a trap, but have always felt it should be $10, and be a "token" that you can put on your Variant of Choice (one time, then permanent).

The collectors model are the one part of the MotM formula I don't like.

#23 Ratpoison

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 851 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:07 PM

As someone without a whole lot of money to spend on this game, I can easily say that the paid content system has drastically improved in value. I probably get at least twice as much for $20 as I did 3 years ago.

#24 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,339 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:12 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 03 February 2016 - 05:41 PM, said:

because... super expensive prem time is one of the biggest traps in this games (and it constantly runs)

Actually, it banks, as someone who's constantly picked up packs over the years, the recent packs, [meaning the unseen which is the new model they're focusing on] has banked my days every time. Not that I care, I activate it instantly, but the point is, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Also how does this effect you in any way? This is actually not that big of a deal next to when they tried to sell single prime variants of Clan wave 1 with a gold skin for 500usd. [they backpedaled when we freaked out and slapped the entirety of the clan package on, which means the gold skin is only a little over 200usd tacked onto the full price of the wave one pack to get a gold prime variant mech.]

Edited by CMDR Sunset Shimmer, 03 February 2016 - 08:13 PM.

#25 Hexenhammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:14 PM

Its not a very good trap if you know exactly what you're getting.

#26 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:16 PM

View PostDaZur, on 03 February 2016 - 07:56 PM, said:

DS3 eh?

I had concerns over your grip on reality to begin with... This confirms it. Posted Image

I watched my kid play Dark Souls. That shizzle is hard yo!

In a gaming world where companies advertise the finest of Champagnes but give you Coors light mixed with 7up in a fancy looking bottle.... Dark Souls is the finest of scotches Posted Image

I'm preparing now... almost finished my revisiting of Demon's souls, next up is DS1 then 2 Posted Image With a sprinkling of MWO in there of course Posted Image

Edited by cSand, 03 February 2016 - 08:18 PM.

#27 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,254 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:23 PM

well then... different points of view on "value" then

because... super expensive prem time is one of the biggest traps in this games (and it constantly runs)

And you forgot to mention 6 more IDENTICAL cockpit items

I think the bottom line is:

If you don't want it, you have the right to not buy it.

#28 Chuck Jager

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:39 PM

View PostKhobai, on 03 February 2016 - 07:55 PM, said:

the collectors pack has always been a trap.

it would make way more sense if they just threw in the hero variant for free instead of the duplicate variant.

for $20 you should get 3 variants with nothing special, option to add on hero variant later for $15

-OR-

for $40 you should get 3 variants, one with the cbill booster, and the hero variant (also with a cbill booster) plus the extra month of premium

that would make sense... but PGI did it the stupid way. who wants to pay for duplicate variants of mechs? not me.

Saying PGI is stupid does not help your case with PGI.

At my work place, I would get in trouble (and should) if you said this and I tried to take your case to the higher ups. Basically, price is only looked at if the company is not making sales. Those folks who complain about price are the ones whose business you do not need.

Are the folks whining the new steam players who saw the word Free when they selected the game?

#29 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:46 PM

View PostChuck Jager, on 03 February 2016 - 08:39 PM, said:

At my work place, I would get in trouble (and should) if you said this and I tried to take your case to the higher ups. Basically, price is only looked at if the company is not making sales. Those folks who complain about price are the ones whose business you do not need.

Are the folks whining the new steam players who saw the word Free when they selected the game?

PGI have been setting the standard with clan waves , resistance , origins , and phoenix.
I bought them all top packs and not a single regret.

Living through those... you know something is not right when they try to offer you minimum content with maximum price.

#30 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,254 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 03 February 2016 - 08:48 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 03 February 2016 - 08:46 PM, said:

PGI have been setting the standard with clan waves , resistance , origins , and phoenix.

Living through those... you know something is not right when they try to offer you minimum content with maximum price.

People need to get more "pro Wave 4" then instead of saying things like "I don't want DOA omnis"

#31 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:09 PM

fortunately im not looking to improve my case with PGI

I have no intention of buy their $40 pack

#32 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:39 PM

well then... different points of view on "value" then

And you forgot to mention 6 more IDENTICAL cockpit items

Constantly runs......in 30 day blocks AFTER you activated the stuff that BANKS and waits to be used. Only Premium Time acquired from Promos are used immediately. You are very wrong or at least very vague.

View PostNavid A1, on 03 February 2016 - 08:46 PM, said:

What are you talking about? PGI stated months ago they were changing how they released mechs for many reason. Show me one way in which this pack is a WORSE VALUE then any other pack released thus far.

Edited by Revis Volek, 03 February 2016 - 09:41 PM.

#33 Nauht

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:44 PM

Is it expensive? Is it good value?

Don't care.

I get to live out my boyhood fantasies. Now if someone would point me to the other fps BT game that I can spend money on so that I can live out my imagination of being a MW piloting MADs, WHMs and soon Kodiaks, I'll be there with my wallet too.

#34 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:49 PM

View PostRevis Volek, on 03 February 2016 - 09:39 PM, said:

Show me one way in which this pack is a WORSE VALUE then any other pack released thus far.

Please, please don't.

Kodiak full pack at 70$ is about 66,000 MC worth of content (+18M Cbills in the shape of modules)

Origins full pack at 80$ is about 141,200 MC worth of content. (stuff that you can not get with C-bills)

lets just keep it at that... i won't tell anybody that you even thought about this comparison.

Edited by Navid A1, 03 February 2016 - 09:56 PM.

#35 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:54 PM

The 40 dollar pack being higher prices makes my 20 dollar pack cheaper. I thank the people willing the buy the 40 dollar pack.

#36 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:04 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 03 February 2016 - 09:49 PM, said:

Please, please don't.

Kodiak full pack at 70$ is about 66,000 MC worth of content (+18M Cbills in the shape of modules)

Origins full pack at 80$ is about 141,200 MC worth of content.

lets just keep it at that... i won't tell anybody that you even thought about this comparison.

Worth of useless **** you mean? I will rephrase, how is the pack any worse then any of the RECENT packs because the wave packs are when i stopped buying excpet for the IIC wave pack which was junk IMO.

There is no value in anything outside the Premium time and mechs, yes you got more mechs but what were they? Certainly not 7 Assaults mech worth of Equipment and engines right?

Im not saying they havent all been that great latley, im was saying how is this one THAT MUCH worse then others. They are all pretty bad and not worth it IMO. $80 dollars for some junky unquirked mechs and 60 days of prem time was never a good deal to begin with.

The Kodiak is not really any worse or any better in my o pinon and the trinkets have no real value to me, they are nothing that helps in the game nor are they anything i would pay for ever.

SO you upset you get like half the amount of trinkets and doo dads? and half the amount of mechs for $10 less dollars.

#37 Lord0fHats

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 619 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:27 PM

The Kodiak is a 100 ton mech. For MC 1 will cost over about $20, the hero probably around $25.The Hero at $15 is a steal even factoring the minimum $20 you have to spend to be able to buy it and those mechs come with premium time that'll be worth about $13. So basically your buying premium time, getting a hero mech at a great discount, and some mechs on top for $7. The Collector has another $13 of premium time, 1 special mech at $7, and then some more items. Not counting the cockpit items and titles/badges, which are probably worth $10-$15 total.

We can talk about getting things we don't really want, but that's what the pack comes out to and money wise it's a good deal (not quite as good as the 4 mech packs, but there's advantages).

While the 4 mech packs are better deals in terms of value, they also come a significant cavat; you have to buy lower levels to get higher levels, or you're stuck with the really crappy ala carte option which actually is a rip off unless you're getting the assault mech.

EDIT: It's also probably worth noting all the Kodiaks come stock with XL400s, DHS, and Endo-steel frames, so their MC value is likely to be closer to the Dire than the Atlas. and Dires run around $35.

Edited by Lord0fHats, 03 February 2016 - 10:31 PM.

#38 SkaerKrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 258 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:41 PM

While I respect the OP's points, value is in the eye of the purchaser. For me, I don't mind shelling out $20 more on another month of premium time, a faux hero (with a sweet, sweet paint scheme), and some extra doo-dads for my cockpit. I also wouldn't fault a single person for turning their nose up at that same $20 offering.

#39 GreyNovember

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:45 PM

40USD

> 2000ish PHP

> Is about equivalent to a day out Karting, or XCOM 2 when it comes out here, or an all you can eat buffet for two.

Value wise, I'd STILL Probably just play MWO because that's what I've been doing for the past 2 years now when I have a stable connection. Unfortunately I already kind of have my 100 tonner Cbill bonus, so not interested. Neat, but I don't need a larger Nova.

#40 Mech Jager

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 122 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:45 PM

I am partially disabled and work a 20 hour work week. These prices are very fair compared to the rest of life. Think about it min wage in US is $7.50-$10 per hour making these packs 2-3 hours at the lowest legal pay rate (give or take a couple of bucks in change and taxes). I did figure lowest pay rate gets the lowest pack.

I only buy good OP/META mechs and I thought the 4 mech packs were a bit off, and again I have zero intention of buying mechs to have them all. Only buying 1 out of every 5 mechs is a lot cheaper compared to buying them all at a 10-20% savings.

If these prices are too much, folks maybe need to reevaluate priorities and give up other things. Ride a bike for transportation you can buy all the mechs you want (rain does su**).

Edited by Mech Jager, 03 February 2016 - 10:58 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users