40$ Kodiak Collector's Is A Trap

76 replies to this topic

#61 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,924 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:46 AM

whats 20 bucks, i cant even get whiskey for that anymore.

#62 Idealsuspect

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:59 AM

View PostNavid A1, on 03 February 2016 - 05:35 PM, said:

20$ for the basic pack is ok... and it has good contents.

yet for an additional 20$ you only get a re-skin of a variant that you already have and thats it...
does this sound reasonable to you?

I think its time for PGI to lower theirs price about news mechs.

Most of big whales have left the game and if 20 dollars could be a honest price for 3 variants of a new assault mech i guess 20 dollars more for get ONE super cbills farming variant is really TOO much.

Or just sell the kodiak 3 variants + Cbills variant at 20 dollars, you will sell 200% more packages at every new mech release and be happy...

#63 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,924 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:10 AM

the collectors packs and hero/ bonus mechs are all whale bait. i kind of like the new system in that i can be cheap and still come out with good stuff.

#64 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:16 AM

Their new pack system isn't worth it, IMO.

Origins was the last pack I spent money on. And if this is the newest way to sell things, I may be entirely done spending money on this game.

With the old pack system like Phoenix, Res1, Res2, and Origins you drop $80 for 12 mechs, 4 of which are CBill booster mechs. With this system you need to drop $40 to get the Cbill booster mech.

The rest of that garbage be damned, I rarely mess with cockpit items and premium time isn't worth it.

#65 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:29 AM

View PostSaint Scarlett Johan, on 26 February 2016 - 11:16 AM, said:

Origins was the last pack I spent money on. And if this is the newest way to sell things, I may be entirely done spending money on this game.

With the old pack system like Phoenix, Res1, Res2, and Origins you drop $80 for 12 mechs, 4 of which are CBill booster mechs. With this system you need to drop $40 to get the Cbill booster mech.

The rest of that garbage be damned, I rarely mess with cockpit items and premium time isn't worth it.

While in need of tuning, I don't see how they are any worse than jumbo packs.

Both models need refinement, imo.

#66 RockmachinE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:29 AM

View PostMechaBattler, on 03 February 2016 - 06:08 PM, said:

It's smart. They have the $20 for the more reasonable spenders. And then the $40 for the people with money to spend on extra goodies that don't amount to quite as much.

Reasonable spenders play for free :).

#67 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:32 AM

View PostLouis Brofist, on 26 February 2016 - 11:29 AM, said:

Reasonable spenders play for free :).

Reasonable is subjective, based on the size of one's bank acct. Bet you most of the people on here who cry about mech prices, don't think twice when they drop $5 on their morning Starbucks, $6 on their pack of smokes, etc.

#68 Lugh

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:36 AM

View PostIdealsuspect, on 26 February 2016 - 10:59 AM, said:

Most of big whales have left the game and if 20 dollars could be a honest price for 3 variants of a new assault mech i guess 20 dollars more for get ONE super cbills farming variant is really TOO much.

Or just sell the kodiak 3 variants + Cbills variant at 20 dollars, you will sell 200% more packages at every new mech release and be happy...

I'm a big whale. I 'm still here.

View PostBishop Steiner, on 26 February 2016 - 11:32 AM, said:

Reasonable is subjective, based on the size of one's bank acct. Bet you most of the people on here who cry about mech prices, don't think twice when they drop $5 on their morning Starbucks, $6 on their pack of smokes, etc.

Which I think is better spent on Mechs here, 'cause I actually enjoy those. I wouldn't those other two things...

#69 Widowmaker1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:38 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 26 February 2016 - 10:07 AM, said:

Can be hard calling which is"best", though, In fairness. When I begged Russ into changing the Zeus to the 6S, ballistic still was a big part of the meta. By the time it came out, meta was full bore laser vomit, and Mann did whine because it wasn't the meta model. Now, ballistics are getting mixed with the meta again......

See the issue?

Yes, although that doesnt excuse the Enforcer and Grasshopper, since those ones are worst regardless of meta. Unless we get an LBX10 meta one day, lol.

But thats my (and your) point. Give the players a token and it takes away their 'right' to moan at PGI about it, because they made the choice.

#70 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:40 AM

No-one is forcing you to buy it. It's not a trap. If you don't see value in it, don't buy it. Simple.

I happen to see value in the +$20 package, but that is my opinion and I'm not going to force it on you.

#71 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:43 AM

View PostSaint Scarlett Johan, on 26 February 2016 - 11:16 AM, said:

View PostBishop Steiner, on 26 February 2016 - 11:29 AM, said:

Well if you are more of a collector and bought the top end pack the old system was much better in particular when the early adopter reward included a fourth variant for each of the four mechs for a total of 16. The new system is great for the people only interested in certain mechs, but it is pretty far off the mark value wise when compared to the old system and buying all of the mechs. I think they need a few more options for purchase that brings the two versions a little closer together.

Edited by WarHippy, 26 February 2016 - 11:44 AM.

#72 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:43 AM

View Postcdlord, on 26 February 2016 - 11:40 AM, said:

No-one is forcing you to buy it. It's not a trap. If you don't see value in it, don't buy it. Simple.

I happen to see value in the +$20 package, but that is my opinion and I'm not going to force it on you.

Dude stop repressing me with your opinions!

#73 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:48 AM

View PostNavid A1, on 03 February 2016 - 06:41 PM, said:

Yes, i posted a thread like this for the marauder too.
Some people said that the prices are just high because those are the unseen and they may need the cash in case any legal issues happen.

That reason does not hold for the Kodiak though.

Well. I guess we all have different opinions on this matter.

Yes. I think it comes down to just a difference of opinion ... and many don't share your opinion though some do.

Those who want it will pay the $40 and those who don't won't.

Some will pay $20 and others likely feel that it isn't worth buying at all.

I don't plan to get it because I don't need another clan mech. I have lots. I also prefer heavies and lights in general ... I don't play assaults much .. so very little appeal. Others have a very different opinion.

People who will get more enjoyment out of the playing the mech they receive for the $20 increment than they would going to a movie with a drink and popcorn (which is done in 3 hours) ... will likely think it worthwhile. Someone who would rather spend the $20 on a movie ... won't think it worthwhile. ($20 is probably also about 3 beers at a bar on a Saturday night).

If folks are spending their $20 on food to feed their kids .. it isn't worthwhile spending $20 on MWO. If they are spending the $20 on Monday/Wednesday/Friday lattes at lunch then giving up lattes for a week might be worth the content for them.

PGI has always received complaints about pricing. However, their prices are completely in line with games line World of Tanks, Star Citizan of Shroud of the Avatar. Many of the folks complaining haven't done the math either. Would a 50% reduction of price ($10 vs $20 for the extras) result in a doubling of sales? If you don't double the sales ... you LOSE money when you reduce the price and in this price range I don't think the difference between $10 and $20 is going to double sales. So drop it to $1? ... but that then requires TWENTY times the sales to break even ... and I doubt there are enough players in the game to generate 20 times the sales since we probably already have more than 5% of the players buying in.

PGI has all the numbers. They have chosen their pricing model for a reason. So far it seems to work despite the complaints that they they aren't "good value" or aren't "worth buying" ... all of which are simply the opinion of the person making the statement and in no way any kind of objective fact.

P.S. I spent $20 on the Marauder and thought it was worth it ... even though most of those mechs are either available or soon to be available for cbills.

Edited by Mawai, 26 February 2016 - 11:49 AM.

#74 Torgun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:52 AM

This thread was doomed from the get-go, I mean just think about it: discussing value in a forum filled with whales?

#75 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 26 February 2016 - 12:10 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 26 February 2016 - 11:29 AM, said:

For me it's a value per dollar spent. For the Kodiak, $20 for non-Cbill boosters is of little value when I can simply wait and get the same thing. But $40 option adds something of value, it's just not worth doubling the price for it.

The old bulk packs I'd get 12 mechs for $6.67 a mech with four of those being CBill boosters. In the new system, I'm paying $6.67 a mech for the $20 option but not getting any CBill boosting. If I want the CBill boost I need to up the cost of one of those variants to $26.67. And that's not appealing to me personally.

Which is why I don't really see myself buying anything under the current plan.

#76 Idealsuspect

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 08:05 PM

View PostIdealsuspect, on 26 February 2016 - 10:59 AM, said:

Most of big whales have left the game

View PostLugh, on 26 February 2016 - 11:36 AM, said:

I'm a big whale. I 'm still here.

Yep most of bigs whales have left the game,
some big whales are still there and decided to still play without put money anymore,
some big whales are still there and keep put money into...

Yea Lugh, one of 68700 originals founders, you are still there maybe you keep put money into mwo or not .. it's your choice i have nothing to say about this.

Edited by Idealsuspect, 26 February 2016 - 08:09 PM.

#77 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 09:37 PM

View PostLouis Brofist, on 26 February 2016 - 11:29 AM, said:

Reasonable spenders play for free Posted Image.

Yeah if you don't mind grinding. More power to you. Or waiting a few months. But the $20 is pretty decent deal. Especially if you think about how much 30 days of premium time costs. It's pretty much $15, with 500 MC leftover. For 5 more bucks you get the mechs and 30 days premium time. If you get impatient like me. It's a steal.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users