56 replies to this topic

#21 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 06 February 2016 - 04:33 PM

Ive found great success on the ebj with 3 LRM 15s and 3 ER lasers.

#22 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 708 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 07 February 2016 - 11:21 AM

View PostLeone, on 06 February 2016 - 11:45 AM, said:

If you want three lrm 15s I find the Stormcrow works better for more speed, or the Timberwolf for better backup weaponry.

Like so?
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ccbbfc1add686e2

P. S. Actually, 4xLRM 10 seems to be tad better DPS-wise...
And 2x20 + 1x15 is better yet.

Edited by DavidStarr, 07 February 2016 - 11:27 AM.

#23 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 708 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 07 February 2016 - 02:19 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 06 February 2016 - 10:43 AM, said:

You're not wrong. It's just that the weapon system won't synergize with your missiles -when you're using both weapon systems-, as mentioned in my above post. Thus affecting your mech's overall sustained DPS.

You're right, but I still love UAC + LRM combo. I just played another random battle with Ebon Jaguar and got 660 dmg. That's assault-level damage for me, and I didn't even hit my LRMs well at all. I like the fact that I can both sit back and support my team with artillery fire, and rush in and melt faces when I have to. Besides, these clan LRMs have pretty flat trajectory so using them at mid and even close range is no problem.

Edited by DavidStarr, 07 February 2016 - 02:20 PM.

#24 PaxMacharia

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 02:26 PM

If you have to I would say CPT C4 with two 20alrm and two 5almr (for testing if you actually hit your target or saving ammo on finishers // also I like symmetric builds) and 2ML (more symmetry) XL 255 and a metric shitton of ammo

P.S. please don't boat, Lurmaggedon is bad enough as it is...

Edited by PaxMacharia, 07 February 2016 - 02:31 PM.

#25 Katus

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationTucson AZ

Posted 08 February 2016 - 05:16 AM

My ping is nearly always horrible so I tend towards guided weapons, LRMs and SSRMs. Days when my ping isn't too bad I LOVE AC-5s and UAC-5s as well as SRM 4s. Since it is rare that I have good ping I try to be the best Lurmer that I can.

Hands down the best LRM platform I own is a Mal-1R "R" with its LRM 15 quirk and LRM 15 cool down and range module. 60 tubes with Artemis, 2790 rounds of ammo and a pair of med lasers for close encounters rounds out the unit. People will complain about "wasting an Assault" by not being a brawling build, but I figure that if I can get 1200+ damage with 10 or so assists and 3-5 kills most damage then I am positively affecting the match for the blue team.

What I watch for is a blue team pilot getting ganged up on, if I can force a red team 'Mech to seek cover and NOT shoot at a team mate because he's getting a LRM 15 salvo every .75 seconds then I am doing it right. I try to watch blue team's health and provide cover fire for those that are getting chewed up, also since I don't care about kill/death ratio I tend to peel an enemy, wreck a few weapons then move on to the next enemy heavy or assault 'Mech leaving the real pilots to claim the kills. My goal is to keep the blue team alive by forcing the red team to do things rather then reacting to what the red team is up to, so get a lot of "Protected X" and savior kills which makes me C-Bills. Even if some team mates do appreciate what I do, especially if we lose, it is nice to see the C-Bills at the end of the match.

BTW, when I refer to Brawlers as the "real pilots" of the match it is with no sarcasm. I would love nothing better then to wade into the middle of a red team murder ball and hand out SRM and AC volleys but with my ping being as bad as it is normally all I see from my POV is people rubber banding about. It turns into a an exercise in frustration when you empty 4 SRM6es into the back of an enemy Hunchy that is walking straight away from you impact and he only shows 2% damage.

#26 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 February 2016 - 05:20 AM

View PostDavidStarr, on 07 February 2016 - 02:19 PM, said:

You're right, but I still love UAC + LRM combo. I just played another random battle with Ebon Jaguar and got 660 dmg. That's assault-level damage for me, and I didn't even hit my LRMs well at all. I like the fact that I can both sit back and support my team with artillery fire, and rush in and melt faces when I have to. Besides, these clan LRMs have pretty flat trajectory so using them at mid and even close range is no problem.

If it works for you, then run it. What's really important is enjoying your build. I've ran non-meta "terrible" mechs, and builds, and did wonderfully in them, because they are the designs that most compliment my mentality.

#27 epikt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 06:28 AM

View PostPaxMacharia, on 07 February 2016 - 02:26 PM, said:

If you have to I would say CPT C4 with two 20alrm and two 5almr (for testing if you actually hit your target or saving ammo on finishers // also I like symmetric builds) and 2ML (more symmetry) XL 255 and a metric shitton of ammo

That sound awful.
First: an LRM boat without a TAG is a bad build, period.
Second: 2 LRM20 + 2LRM5 = shitload of ghost heat for no benefit. And there is absolutely no point of testing if your salvos are hitting because you're supposed to look at your target and tag it when you shoot.

I think the C4 is a bad chassis for LRMs.
Only 2 energy hardpoints (so only one offensive laser) forbids you any effective additional weapon system, and since it's on the CT you can't even mount a large pulse.
The two only options left are 4 LRM10s and 2 ALRM20 (4 ALRM10 are very heavy). Another option would be 2 ALMR20 and a NARC, but again, very heavy (=> slow and.or not a lot of ammo).

In the other hand, the C4 makes a good splatcat (4 ASMR6 and 2 MPLas)

View PostKatus, on 08 February 2016 - 05:16 AM, said:

People will complain about "wasting an Assault"

And they're right.
On a Mauler-1R you can mount 4 UAC/5s with a 15% cooldown quirk, it is a freaking monster expected to be on the front line. (but, well, with 20% cooldown quirk at least it's probably the less worst assault LRM boat)

Also, from what I can deduct from your post, your build is ridiculous. 2790 rounds makes no sense at all (except maybe in CW, I don't play CW) and if you say "a pair of med lasers" I understand you have no TAG. An LRM boat without a TAG is a bad build, period.
Lower the ammo count, boost up the engine and cooling.

In my opinion there is only one legitimate assault LRM-boat: the Awesome-8R. 10 tons lighter, -30% cooldown and -15% heat gen. And since LRM is the only reasonable build on the mech there is no confusion possible. If you want to be the best lurmer you can, please try this mech (like this, or like this).

Edited by epikt, 08 February 2016 - 06:31 AM.

#28 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 708 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 08 February 2016 - 09:13 AM

View PostKatus, on 08 February 2016 - 05:16 AM, said:

Hands down the best LRM platform I own is a Mal-1R "R" with its LRM 15 quirk and LRM 15 cool down

Interesting, that's one mech I did not consider! Like so?
Could equip Artemis if downgrade lasers to SPLs, but so far I'm finding Artemis useless for me.

#29 Douglas grizzly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 321 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 10:26 AM

my fave was the pult with 2 lrm 20 and 2 small lasers. after endo and ff i put in 2 med pulse instead of the small lasers and now i have some back up weapons that light mechs have been taught to fear. I very nearly also took down a KC with those pulse after the pilot panicked and overheated. granted i went down but the KC ct was stripped bare making him easy meat.

#30 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 February 2016 - 11:19 AM

View Postepikt, on 08 February 2016 - 06:28 AM, said:

That sound awful.
First: an LRM boat without a TAG is a bad build, period.
Second: 2 LRM20 + 2LRM5 = shitload of ghost heat for no benefit. And there is absolutely no point of testing if your salvos are hitting because you're supposed to look at your target and tag it when you shoot.

I think the C4 is a bad chassis for LRMs.
Only 2 energy hardpoints (so only one offensive laser) forbids you any effective additional weapon system, and since it's on the CT you can't even mount a large pulse.
The two only options left are 4 LRM10s and 2 ALRM20 (4 ALRM10 are very heavy). Another option would be 2 ALMR20 and a NARC, but again, very heavy (=> slow and.or not a lot of ammo).

In the other hand, the C4 makes a good splatcat (4 ASMR6 and 2 MPLas)

And they're right.
On a Mauler-1R you can mount 4 UAC/5s with a 15% cooldown quirk, it is a freaking monster expected to be on the front line. (but, well, with 20% cooldown quirk at least it's probably the less worst assault LRM boat)

Also, from what I can deduct from your post, your build is ridiculous. 2790 rounds makes no sense at all (except maybe in CW, I don't play CW) and if you say "a pair of med lasers" I understand you have no TAG. An LRM boat without a TAG is a bad build, period.
Lower the ammo count, boost up the engine and cooling.

In my opinion there is only one legitimate assault LRM-boat: the Awesome-8R. 10 tons lighter, -30% cooldown and -15% heat gen. And since LRM is the only reasonable build on the mech there is no confusion possible. If you want to be the best lurmer you can, please try this mech (like this, or like this).

I like this post, but I have to disagree on some things. If you are an indirect fire assault LRM mech, basically an artillery mech. TAG is useless for most of the match anyways.

My BLR-1S carried almost 2500 rounds, 2 LRM 15s, 2 LRM 10s, and 4MLs. Hands down one of the most effective LRM builds I've ever seen, or used, and yes, I've seen some seriously good ones.

I have not used the Mauler though, so I can't make any personal judgement on it's effectiveness, but it can definitely be a good LRM platform. It has the hardpoints, and tonnage.

#31 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 708 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 08 February 2016 - 11:45 AM

I won't ever run a TAG laser (and probably no Artemis, too, at least not on these LRM 15 assaults). Instead, I'd put active probe on. Either way AWS-8R does indeed look more attractive than MAL-1R: higher DPS, higher speed with the XL engine (which I have trouble fitting on MAL).

#32 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 08 February 2016 - 12:01 PM

For the most part I don't like running LRMs. That said, for the sake of variety I run a single LRM equiped mech in each weight class (though I admit I gave up trying to run a 2 LRM 5 Locust).

Assault: Mauler 3 LRM+A 15s a bunch of ammo and 2 large lasers plus Beagle and AMS running an XL280. I tried 2 LPL and 2 LRM+A 15s but the LRM throw felt too slow. Occasionally will take on a CW defense but only when we are screwing around and only on certain maps.

Heavy: The Warhammer 7S. Mastered the mech the first weekend with 5MLs, Tag, 3 LRM-10+A, Beagle and AMS running an XL 300. Works great, though I haven't touched it since I mastered it. Could probably drop the Tag and the Artemis but whatever...this mech was only created because I just couldn't make a satisfying PPC build and use all the a hardpoints. This was a creation of "I can't think of anything for this thing" rather than a desire to make a great LRM mech, but it does work really well.

Medium: Griffin 1s. XL275 4ML (RA), 2 LRM10+A (both on the left) and Beagle and AMS. Had a Tag (minus 1 ML) but found I was on the move so much that the Tag rarely was on target for more than a second on any given mech. Really gotta watch the heat when ya get in close.

#33 Vlad Striker

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 08 February 2016 - 01:59 PM

Best clan's heavy LRM mech is Mad Dog.

#34 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 02:30 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 08 February 2016 - 11:19 AM, said:

If you are an indirect fire assault LRM mech

Then you are doing it wrong.

View PostDavidStarr, on 08 February 2016 - 11:45 AM, said:

I won't ever run a TAG laser (and probably no Artemis, too, at least not on these LRM 15 assaults). Instead, I'd put active probe on.

I used to mount a BAP too. Not anymore.

Let's list the effects of the BAP:
  • counters enemy ECM. It used to be the main purpose of the BAP on an LRM-boat, since ECM prevents you to guide your missiles. But now that the ECM range is 90m, that never happens as long as your positionning is correct.
  • speeds up targeting data. Almost useless. Beware, it does NOT speed up lock acquisition.
  • increase sensor range. Almost useless. LRMs are mid-range weapons that are better used between 200 and 500 meters.
  • reveal shut-down mechs at close range. Useless.

Edited by epikt, 08 February 2016 - 02:30 PM.

#35 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 08 February 2016 - 03:49 PM

Im a big proponent of using TAG on lrm boats, but it really depends on the mech.

However it depends on the mech. The 1R mauler for example only has 2 energy hardpoints. The sacrifice there does not make sense, especially since using balistics as a backup isnt horribly viable either.
Not to mention, the Mauler is going to be slow as hell no matter what, so your ability to tag your own targets isnt always there.

#36 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 February 2016 - 04:25 PM

View Postepikt, on 08 February 2016 - 02:30 PM, said:

Then you are doing it wrong.

That's where you and I will disagree. I see nothing wrong with running an indirect firing LRM mech at 400-600 meters. What's the point of me exposing myself to get shot, when half my mech is combustible ammo?

Edited by IraqiWalker, 08 February 2016 - 04:25 PM.

#37 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 08 February 2016 - 04:47 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 08 February 2016 - 04:25 PM, said:

That's where you and I will disagree. I see nothing wrong with running an indirect firing LRM mech at 400-600 meters. What's the point of me exposing myself to get shot, when half my mech is combustible ammo?

When people get dogmatic about the use of a tool then I really question their understanding of said tool. Or at the very least wonder about their ability to understand that they themselves are not an archetype.

I think Im just going to dump all my tag lasers and put on BAP on all my LRM boats. I will post results later.

#38 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 February 2016 - 04:59 PM

View PostBoogie138, on 08 February 2016 - 04:47 PM, said:

When people get dogmatic about the use of a tool then I really question their understanding of said tool. Or at the very least wonder about their ability to understand that they themselves are not an archetype.

I think Im just going to dump all my tag lasers and put on BAP on all my LRM boats. I will post results later.

If you do not adjust your playstyle accordingly, you will suffer negative results.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying TAG is bad on a LRM boat, just that if you're playing an indirect fire mech, you're spending the majority of your time not having enemy mechs in your actual line of sight, which renders the TAG almost useless.

Now if you like using TAG a lot, on a LRM boat, then you're going to be exposing yourself a lot. If you decide to stop using it all of a sudden, but maintain the playstyle of a direct fire LRM boat, you're gonna be in for a world of hurt.

#39 Drollzy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPerth

Posted 08 February 2016 - 05:24 PM

lol packing a mech with LRMS and calling yourself an aggressive player is contradictory. Im not a LRM pilot but there are a few other cheap options to LRMing if you cannot yet afford a catapult. The Trebuchet 7m is a good example it has "aggresive" Lrm 15 quirks runs at 90kph and has jumpjets. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0d514c067f7e4a0
Personally I think you are weakening your team when converting an EBJ into a LRM boat the EBJ is a squishy mech and relies on its firepower to stay alive. Weaken that firepower by squeezing LRMS on it and it is easily destroyed when cornered. Believe me good players WILL corner it. LRMS have a place on the battlefield however they only work when you have strong direct fire mechs on your team a role usually filled by heavy mechs. If all your Heavy mechs end up being LRM boats then autolose.

#40 Gorgo7

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 08 February 2016 - 05:30 PM

I rather like the MAD-5D, 2x ALRM15, 1x TAG, 2x LLasers, 7 tons of ammo, 300XL

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users