87 replies to this topic

#21 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 10 February 2016 - 06:14 AM

There is also definitely a correlation between the number of people who issue cheery greetings on your team, and an impending loss. (I guess new players tend to more friendly?)

#22 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 10 February 2016 - 06:15 AM

I look at two things:
  • how many Founder tags (to a lesser degree, other package tags)
    • Why this matters: these people spent real money on this game, chances are good they're invested in the game enough to learn how to play well.
    • In the case of founders (and early package tags), these are people who have been playing this game for three years - even if there's not a lot of communication with these players, the odds are good they'll just instinctively know what they're doing, even if they aren't talking.
  • How many Unit tags
    • This one's not as reliable as Founder tags, but generally players who are in a unit, especially one of the big and/or good units (-MS-, 228, SROT, NKVA, etc), will know how to play in a team.
Generally? If the other team has more unit tags, and ESPECIALLY more Founder tags, you're going to lose. If things are more even? Should be a close game.

#23 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 10 February 2016 - 06:42 AM

I normally gauge by the amount of antisocial, I'm listening to music and turn off all forms of in game communication and can't be bothered gitz.
I notice at the beginning of a match.
I especially love when I'm suggesting a course of action some git ask in chat how do I mute.
Then I know this match is a loss.
I had a screenshot of 0 and 12 loss.
With only communication being how can I mute this **********.
Now the ghetto side of me wanted to give him a verbal arse kicking.
However the refined side of me won out.
I promptly charge the first enemy mech I saw fired a few rounds then just sat there.
Sadly I still had the highest score.
Antisocial gits, gotta find that screenie.

Edited by Novakaine, 10 February 2016 - 06:48 AM.

#24 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 10 February 2016 - 06:44 AM

View PostDavid Sumner, on 10 February 2016 - 02:11 AM, said:

1. Start the match.
2. Ask if anyone has TAG or LRM
3. If you get noob abuse, you will probably lose
4. If no one says anything at al, you will probably lose
5. If people actually say Yes, or No, or heaven forbid, get more detailed, you have a good chance of winning

My criteria for an incoming loss is if someone says:
"I have LRMs, locks please!"

#25 MechWarrior5152251

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 06:59 AM

If someone asks if you have Tag or LRM you will probably lose....

#26 QuantumButler

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,534 posts
  • LocationTaiwan, One True China

Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:08 AM

The team with the most lrms typically loses.

Especially if it's in the format of Atlas S's with 4x alrm5s and AC10s.

Edited by QuantumButler, 10 February 2016 - 07:09 AM.

#27 Thorqemada

• 6,377 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:11 AM

The Team with most Gausses and Pulse Lasers wins...

#28 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:18 AM

View PostDawnstealer, on 10 February 2016 - 06:15 AM, said:

I look at two things:
    • Why this matters: these people spent real money on this game, chances are good they're invested in the game enough to learn how to play well.
    • In the case of founders (and early package tags), these are people who have been playing this game for three years - even if there's not a lot of communication with these players, the odds are good they'll just instinctively know what they're doing, even if they aren't talking.
  • How many Unit tags
    • This one's not as reliable as Founder tags, but generally players who are in a unit, especially one of the big and/or good units (-MS-, 228, SROT, NKVA, etc), will know how to play in a team.
Generally? If the other team has more unit tags, and ESPECIALLY more Founder tags, you're going to lose. If things are more even? Should be a close game.

Yep this is what I look for. If my team is full of founders and early clan tags I know we have people who have played for years.

#29 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:21 AM

View PostTexAce, on 10 February 2016 - 05:48 AM, said:

I'm tier 2 and using LRMs pretty successfully.

Same, have done surprisingly well running an LRM WHK for about 3 weeks. I always struggled to find a WHK build I liked and finally decided to load it up with lurms and see how it went. Some maps are a lot harder than others to do well but if I fight from the second line, tag, and call focus targets it works very well.

#30 MechWarrior5152251

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:24 AM

Usually the last mech standing is someone in a raven with tag and narc who only starts tagging and narcing after all the LRM boats are dead...

#31 Macksheen

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationNorth Cackalacky

Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:25 AM

View PostDawnstealer, on 10 February 2016 - 06:15 AM, said:

I look at two things:
  • How many Unit tags

He who drops with the most toys wins.

#32 xTrident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 655 posts
  • LocationWork or Home

Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:29 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 10 February 2016 - 04:28 AM, said:

Lack of communication early is always a fairly bad sign, no matter what is being talked about. The absolute worst situation is this:

"So do we go upper or lower, guys?"
<SILENCE>
"Looks like they're going upper."
<SILENCE>

At that point, you may as well prepare your colon.

Through two matches that I've gotten to play with you on the same team - I just automatically assume we're going to win and will continue to. Both games were pretty heavily in our favor.

As for those times Alistair isn't around communication doesn't seem to have much of an impact to me. Granted I don't wear my headset all that much so I can't hear what others are saying over voip. For me it's all about where the triangles are going on the map. If we're spread way out, or lose someone within the first 30 seconds to a minute I figure the match is going to be a loss.

I've had some really good matches where comms were silent and I've had some really bad matches where there was a lot of communication.

#33 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 10 February 2016 - 01:55 PM

View PostxTrident, on 10 February 2016 - 07:29 AM, said:

Through two matches that I've gotten to play with you on the same team - I just automatically assume we're going to win and will continue to. Both games were pretty heavily in our favor.
As for those times Alistair isn't around communication doesn't seem to have much of an impact to me. Granted I don't wear my headset all that much so I can't hear what others are saying over voip. For me it's all about where the triangles are going on the map. If we're spread way out, or lose someone within the first 30 seconds to a minute I figure the match is going to be a loss.
I've had some really good matches where comms were silent and I've had some really bad matches where there was a lot of communication.

Thanks! I don't always have the patience to be a positive influence in team chat, so I'm happy you happened to see that both times.

There are a few people who are always a positive factor on their team, win or lose. PanzierMagier (sp?) is one of those guys. He's always active on VOIP, and also hilarious. I always have a good time when he drops on my team in the solo queue.

#34 Salticidae

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 248 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 02:00 PM

View PostMrMadguy, on 10 February 2016 - 03:11 AM, said:

This test won't work for me, cuz I have shut all chats off. There is nothing useful, other players can say to me via chat in pug queue, there is nothing useful I can say to them too.

And with team work like that, you will never be able to show your tier rating.

#35 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts
  • LocationDown the street from the MWO server

Posted 10 February 2016 - 03:12 PM

My favourite is this one:

"Alrighty guys whats the plan?"

(Silence) = Generally the go-to response on the Euro Server

or
"Kill people till they're dead"
or
"Not die" etc.

The more imbecilic the response the greater the lack of teamwork I find.

#36 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 10 February 2016 - 03:13 PM

I count clan mechs and lights.

More clan lowers the chance of winning, and more lights increases the chance of winning (especially in Conquest).

#37 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 10 February 2016 - 03:30 PM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 10 February 2016 - 03:27 AM, said:

I find that a better "barometer" than silence over chat.

I also do this, If my team runs away from each other like boys from girls in grade school with cooties...

GG Clothes.

But the exact opposite the OP sees for me, if i see "hold locks" and "LRM80 need TAG" (No backup weapons) i usually just figure we have 2 or 3 pilots that may be 100% ineffective before the fight even starts. so again...

GG Clothes

Edited by Revis Volek, 10 February 2016 - 03:32 PM.

#38 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 03:36 PM

View Postrolly, on 10 February 2016 - 03:12 PM, said:

My favourite is this one:

"Alrighty guys whats the plan?"

(Silence) = Generally the go-to response on the Euro Server

or
"Kill people till they're dead"
or
"Not die" etc.

The more imbecilic the response the greater the lack of teamwork I find.

Well i love teamwork, use it a lot and i often reply to these with the most idiotic thing i can think or (or just silence). The plan has been laid out by PGI already. Ball up and complete the game mode or die, its pretty self explanatory at this point in the game for most of us which i think is where the silence comes from. Repeating the matches is bad enough, having to explain it each time can get annoying as well.

#39 SQW

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 04:02 PM

I look at how many trial King Crabs we have in Charlie lance. Posted Image

These days, I mostly run a moduled NARC RVN-3L so it's a good match for me if my team has a few LRM boats. I don't get why the hate on LRM as I can count on 2 hands the number of occasions that I was seriously threatened by them out of several hundred matches.

I do see a lot of mechs continue to poke their heads out of cover to trade shots with the entire opposite team worth of LRMs though. It's like glutton for punishment or watching some latent masochistic tendencies unfolding....

#40 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 04:05 PM

View PostSQW, on 10 February 2016 - 04:02 PM, said:

I look at how many trial King Crabs we have in Charlie lance. Posted Image

These days, I mostly run a moduled NARC RVN-3L so it's a good match for me if my team has a few LRM boats. I don't get why the hate on LRM as I can count on 2 hands the number of occasions that I was seriously threatened by them out of several hundred matches.

I do see a lot of mechs continue to poke their heads out of cover to trade shots with the entire opposite team worth of LRMs though. It's like glutton for punishment or watching some latent masochistic tendencies unfolding....

IF you have good cover, direct fire weapons and about 600 meters in between you and the LRM boat. Most quirked mechs can actually do their dmg and get back into cover before the LRMS are anywhere near to hurt you.

MY favorite thing to do on Tourmaline is find a ridge that LRMS cant get under and just let the direct fire do its job.

Edited by Revis Volek, 10 February 2016 - 04:06 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users