Raiding Missions and the need for Hand Actuators...

44 replies to this topic

#41 Jaxwen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 162 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:19 PM

View PostBallSabre, on 13 July 2012 - 11:03 AM, said:

Capture the flag has been seen so many times that the idea of it is making my head hurt.

How to make this really work is to have a "vehicle" that transports item X from point A to B and the commander can choose what pre-made route it is going to take and maybe even something like "stop" and "go". Leaving the team to protect it and scout the routes for ambushes. A win would be the item arriving safely at point B.

Now the other team would start from the SIDE and they would win if the item X was taken to their base at the side of the map. This would leave the team to set up ambushes and guerilla tactics.

To me this sounds like fun DIFFERENT and challenging game play

Example.
Team 1 starts from the North end of the map and they have to get the Item to the South side of the map.
Team 2 starts from the East side of the map and because of this could deploy quickly at any point on the map where the convoy could come through.
Team 1 would send scouts ahead and the leader would decide the route they are taking while Team 2 sends their own scouts to try to find what route the convoy is taking and then set up an ambush by powering down near choke points to take Team 1 by surprice. (works well for suspence as well)

Team 1 could go right past Team 2 by using a different route and it could end before any contact is made but its more likely that it would end up as an epic ambus and some seriously fun game play. Not to mention how much of a bigger role the scouts would play while even the assaults could be usefull by just going with the transporting "vehicle" and protecting it.

Can team 1 win if the "vehicle" is destroyed?
yes it can, just grab the item and take it to the desicnated point. (of course Team 1 would not be able to damage this vehicle to prevent "hacksing")

More easily implimented would be to replace "vehicle" in your suggestion with mechs including hand actuator(s). The object being to move supplies from point A to point B. Could even take it a step further that both teams have the mission to move supplies from their respective point "A"s to their respective point "B"s. The teams would have to choose between focuses of accomplishing their primary objective and secondarily preventing the other team from accomplishing their transport operation. The moveable materials could be armor, weapons, ammo, tools, generators, food, water, whatever.

Edited by Jaxwen, 13 July 2012 - 03:20 PM.

#42 Foxmoan

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 77 posts
  • LocationKansas City, Missouri

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:48 PM

Im all for this, all of these ideas. As many different game modes the better I say, keeps the game varied and therefore keeps players interested in the game longer. That may not be soo important for all of us now, who have been waiting years for this, but it can be paramount for keeping any other new players new to the franchise after public launch, the basic idea being that there would be a game mode for everyone, no matter what your play style is.

Basically, more game modes = more players = more money for PGI.

Also, I hope the find a way to balance melee combat and implent it, ripping an I beam out of a nearby building and whacking a hunchie upside the head just sounds soo fun, and could be the best defense agenst that AC20 he's got o.o

*EDIT* fixed some of my own typing, damn phone keyboard lol

Edited by Foxmoan, 13 July 2012 - 03:49 PM.

#43 Yarin Korza

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 15 posts
  • LocationOromocto N.B.

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:04 PM

"Its a sad comment on urban living when you see a Battlemaster mug a Pheonix Hawk in a blind alley" - City Tech Box Set :(

#44 Kien Allard Liao

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • LocationTerra Australis

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:08 PM

View PostMajor Tom, on 13 July 2012 - 07:07 AM, said:

• I don't think we need a special game type to justify hand actuators any more than a special game type to justify jump jets, or bipedal mechs.
  • At its core Mechwarrior/Battletech is about giant robot armored combat, not a footrace, which is ultimately what capture the flag becomes. The idea is not to make battles exclude certain chassis and tonnage, the idea is for all mechs to serve a battlefield role. Which is why 'capture and hold' missions work, but 'capture and run' do not.

How is this excluding mech types? If anything it provides an added role for light/medium mechs that straight out combat does not. It makes manueverability paramount, It means there is a game type where you will really have to think about balancing speed and firepower, instead of jumping into the biggest mech you can afford. Also it plays right into creating great missions for the overall campaign. Imagine fighting over Lostech caches, with the winning faction getting access to better weapons/tech/mech designs, which can be researched and then made available for the rest of your Faction.

Also you still nead Heavies/Assaults to defend the carrier as they retreat!

#45 Monolith

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 134 posts
  • LocationWest Tennessee, USA

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:06 AM

I think a mech should have to crouch to pick something up, making it momentarily vulnerable.

Also, I don't think it should render the arm ineffective unless what you picked up blocks a weapons barrel, but it should throw off the balance of the mech, making a gyro overload more likely hence you are more likely to get knocked over with a big hit.

21 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 21 guests, 0 anonymous users