#221 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts
  • LocationDown the street from the MWO server

Posted 16 February 2016 - 05:52 AM

View Postpyrocomp, on 14 February 2016 - 10:16 AM, said:

Whin of the player base is their main source of income. If not the playerbase whim to play this setting this game wouldn't have even existed.

You sir are incorrect. If that were the case we'd have an exact copy of the Battletech TT game. Which is a model that does not work. What is profitable and what a player whim demands is two different things. There are multiple competing whims of the player base, its up to PGI as a business to decide the best profitable course of action. Not what you desire.

#222 ScarecrowES

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 16 February 2016 - 06:08 AM

View PostGRiPSViGiL, on 16 February 2016 - 12:15 AM, said:

As far as the pilot suit goes many have went over that. Something about a vest and bare legs.

And of course it's been shown here that this is not true to the source, which shows various configurations for pilot cooling, with the whole "bare legs" thing not being terribly common... and of course it wouldn't apply at all to clan pilots.

#223 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 16 February 2016 - 06:22 AM

View PostScarecrowES, on 16 February 2016 - 06:08 AM, said:

And of course it's been shown here that this is not true to the source, which shows various configurations for pilot cooling, with the whole "bare legs" thing not being terribly common... and of course it wouldn't apply at all to clan pilots.

It's funny you say that, because my MechWarrior 2 strategy guide has artwork that specifically shows a Clan mech pilot wearing shorts and a cooling vest lol. So yeah, at one time, that applied to Clanners as well. :)

Now I don't have a problem with full body cooling suits. As time changes, I don't mind things like that changing with it. I just wanted to point the above out though :).

#224 pyrocomp

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 06:25 AM

View Postrolly, on 16 February 2016 - 05:52 AM, said:

You sir are incorrect. If that were the case we'd have an exact copy of the Battletech TT game. Which is a model that does not work. What is profitable and what a player whim demands is two different things. There are multiple competing whims of the player base, its up to PGI as a business to decide the best profitable course of action. Not what you desire.

Nope, if PGI will go against most players whim he game might end badly. Many examples out there. The buisness is to be on top and a little ahead of the players whim.

#225 Ratpoison

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 851 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 07:11 AM

View PostCMDR Sunset Shimmer, on 15 February 2016 - 06:12 PM, said:

What is needed of a fictional universe: A fictional universe must adhere to the rules it sets forth for itself.

Battletech does this, if you can accept 30+ foot tall, 100ton walking death machines, in a future that's ******** it'self in places that's lower tech wise than what we had in the 80's. with weaponry that we right now, can outrange and out damage... then you can put up with one little tiny issue such as the coolant vest issue.

Goddess, you seriously need to adjust your priority's if this is the biggest issue you have with Battletech on the "it doesn't make sense" scale.

Or you need to learn to accept that people can come to different conclusions than you do, and stop trying to bully me into agreeing with badly written lore. It is not a "tiny" issue, it's a flagrant disregard for logical sense, and with Battletech gaining more popularity than it ever has in the past, it's time to redact some of these mistakes that FASA made 30 years ago. Now that we have 3 companies pushing new canonical content and HG is on the defensive, this is absolutely the right time to update some of the sloppier parts of the lore.

You can think whatever you want about it, but stop trying to convince me to change my mind on something I decided years ago. It wont happen.

View PostScarecrowES, on 15 February 2016 - 07:46 PM, said:

Whatever solution HBS comes up with will already likely fit canon... as long as they don't try to explicitly override the source material

That's always going to be a possibility, but considering who's working on it and that they're collaborating with Catalyst, they actually can do whatever changes they want. If Catalyst were to be on board with changing this part of the lore, the next print of sourcebooks would reflect it. That's why I say it's the perfect time, because now all of the major players in Battletech canon are involved, and all the previous legal holdups are gone.

Edited by tortuousGoddess, 16 February 2016 - 07:19 AM.

#226 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,341 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 16 February 2016 - 07:57 AM

View PosttortuousGoddess, on 16 February 2016 - 07:11 AM, said:

Or you need to learn to accept that people can come to different conclusions than you do, and stop trying to bully me into agreeing with badly written lore. It is not a "tiny" issue, it's a flagrant disregard for logical sense, and with Battletech gaining more popularity than it ever has in the past, it's time to redact some of these mistakes that FASA made 30 years ago. Now that we have 3 companies pushing new canonical content and HG is on the defensive, this is absolutely the right time to update some of the sloppier parts of the lore.

You can think whatever you want about it, but stop trying to convince me to change my mind on something I decided years ago. It wont happen.

Ok fine, 30 years of content says you're in the minority on this.

#227 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 16 February 2016 - 02:08 PM

View PosttortuousGoddess, on 16 February 2016 - 07:11 AM, said:

That's always going to be a possibility, but considering who's working on it and that they're collaborating with Catalyst, they actually can do whatever changes they want. If Catalyst were to be on board with changing this part of the lore, the next print of sourcebooks would reflect it. That's why I say it's the perfect time, because now all of the major players in Battletech canon are involved, and all the previous legal holdups are gone.

Couldnt be more right.

Speaking of being right. This is just out today, from a game that was making a big deal of going procedural/open world.

Smartest move they made yet.

Not that their goals of having a space sim with trading, bounty hunting, pirating and all sorts of cool ideas was wrong.

Both Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen have the big problem of not providing large scale battles like Mechwarrior does, and they have to resort to meaningless Blue vrs Red TDM to do it..... I can keep going on from here but its mostly common sense.

If MechWarrior ever does go into space with Aerotech and there are battles above planets between the Houses and Clans to clear attack lanes, then players will see how its supposed to be done.(player cap ships I hope. And not worth 500 dollars each for a ship that isn't even a proper capital ship) Trading and all that isn't even entirely impossible.

Edited by Johnny Z, 16 February 2016 - 02:52 PM.

#228 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 16 February 2016 - 02:45 PM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 16 February 2016 - 06:22 AM, said:

It's funny you say that, because my MechWarrior 2 strategy guide has artwork that specifically shows a Clan mech pilot wearing shorts and a cooling vest lol. So yeah, at one time, that applied to Clanners as well. :)

Now I don't have a problem with full body cooling suits. As time changes, I don't mind things like that changing with it. I just wanted to point the above out though :).

Just remember that any products that offshoot from the Battletech source books exist at a lower tier in the hierarchy than the source books themselves. So if MW2 conflicts with the source books on a given topic, MW2 loses.

But again, the source books allow for a wide range of takes on pilot garb.

#229 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 16 February 2016 - 02:55 PM

View PosttortuousGoddess, on 14 February 2016 - 02:20 AM, said:

"cooling vests" are nonsensical BS and need to be thrown out. What's the point of putting on protective gear at all if you're going to leave half your skin exposed to burn from the conditions? That isn't how effective cooling and insulation works, and I don't honestly understand how the people at FASA thought it made any sense. I'm perfectly fine with redacting that part of the lore, it needs a rewrite.

It might be this way in the game but it not practical in the real world, Clothing is used as protection from heat, i used to work at a Argrucutural place where tey used STEAM to clean the houses and get rid of bacteria and mold. They would use the steam to heat the house to 140 degrees and keep it there for 24 hours. If the sensor died in the house, i had to WALK INTO the HOT room at 140 degrees, if you had ANY bare skin showing it was getting a first degree burn within seconds, if you walked too fast the it burned you worse.

All it took to STOP from being burned was a big sweatshirt, some winter gloves and a hat and goggles. But again, any part of your skin that came in contact with that air was burned pretty bad. I find it hard to believe that MechWarrirors could survive in their battlemechs WHILE NAKED and not be burned to all hell. This is just another part of lore we can throw away, its pointless stupid and more then likely was done because sex sells, Nudity is more exciting then clothed and i bet it was first done with a CHICK characters because the author thought it was "BORING".

Edited by Revis Volek, 16 February 2016 - 02:55 PM.

#230 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 02:58 PM

View PostScarecrowES, on 16 February 2016 - 02:45 PM, said:

Just remember that any products that offshoot from the Battletech source books exist at a lower tier in the hierarchy than the source books themselves. So if MW2 conflicts with the source books on a given topic, MW2 loses.

But again, the source books allow for a wide range of takes on pilot garb.

Totally. Let pilots wear what they want!

View PostRevis Volek, on 16 February 2016 - 02:55 PM, said:

It might be this way in the game but it not practical in the real world, Clothing is used as protection from heat, i used to work at a Argrucutural place where tey used STEAM to clean the houses and get rid of bacteria and mold. They would use the steam to heat the house to 140 degrees and keep it there for 24 hours. If the sensor died in the house, i had to WALK INTO the HOT room at 140 degrees, if you had ANY bare skin showing it was getting a first degree burn within seconds, if you walked too fast the it burned you worse.

All it took to STOP from being burned was a big sweatshirt, some winter gloves and a hat and goggles. But again, any part of your skin that came in contact with that air was burned pretty bad. I find it hard to believe that MechWarrirors could survive in their battlemechs WHILE NAKED and not be burned to all hell. This is just another part of lore we can throw away, its pointless stupid and more then likely was done because sex sells, Nudity is more exciting then clothed and i bet it was first done with a CHICK characters because the author thought it was "BORING".

Ok fine, whos to say what the temperature inside a mech cockpit is? A question for the next podcast? Since there isnt a shread of info in game on almost anything. :) Also don't point me to a third party source. Couldn't care less. Really.

In my job I had sweat running off my head like a faucet, constant stream. Its possible really. Even I was surprised when it happened. Working in a very large sky light in fairly nice house in the summer during the day. My dad said to do it in the morning before it got hot, didn't listen. :) Less clothes = better in that situation....People can shead a lot of heat via sweating and clothes hinders that.

Edited by Johnny Z, 16 February 2016 - 03:15 PM.

#231 Big Tin Man

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 03:01 PM

View PostRevis Volek, on 16 February 2016 - 02:55 PM, said:

Yup. Clothing is insulation. Insulation is a barrier to temperature and it works both ways.

#232 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 16 February 2016 - 03:08 PM

I would not put much faith in sourcebooks that say BattleMech Machineguns are like 20mm cannons while also saying they have a 90m range.

Name one 20mm automatic weapon system that has a 90m range.

I call BS.

Also, what does a smart person wear in the cockpit of a battlefield combat vehicle that gets very hot? An aramid-fiber full-body suit that's plumbed to the cockpit chair. That gives you constantly-circulating coolant in the tubes that are laced throughout your suit that keeps you cooler than a naked person, and you are protected from the spall/debris that gets generated inside your cockpit when your vehicle is hit by fire.

And when you have to bail, you are already wearing soft armor that will keep you safe from injury and warm... You can discard it if needed to stay cool on a hot planet.

Naked Pilots are stupid Pilots.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 16 February 2016 - 03:10 PM.

#233 LegendaryArticuno

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 664 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 03:12 PM

Here's an idea... the pilot uniform is based on what faction you are aligned with (same suit just different colours).

#234 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 16 February 2016 - 03:37 PM

View PostLegendaryArticuno, on 16 February 2016 - 03:12 PM, said:

Here's an idea... the pilot uniform is based on what faction you are aligned with (same suit just different colours).

Yup, plenty of people have suggested monetizing the pilot model (spending MC to prettify yourself). Faction suits are a great first step.

#235 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 04:04 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 16 February 2016 - 03:08 PM, said:

I would not put much faith in sourcebooks that say BattleMech Machineguns are like 20mm cannons while also saying they have a 90m range.

Name one 20mm automatic weapon system that has a 90m range.

I call BS.

While I agree with you...you can actually say that the armor is so good that you have to be within 90 m for your 20 mm cannon to be doing damage to it at all.

It's not all about the gun.

#236 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 16 February 2016 - 04:09 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 16 February 2016 - 04:04 PM, said:

While I agree with you...you can actually say that the armor is so good that you have to be within 90 m for your 20 mm cannon to be doing damage to it at all.

It's not all about the gun.

It is absolutely all about the gun. What kind of derpy 20mm cannon round are you using that loses so much velocity in 90m that it can no longer inflict damage on armor?

And what about internals? Are internal components so tough that they can deflect cannon rounds past 90m too?

#237 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 05:03 PM

View Postpyrocomp, on 16 February 2016 - 06:25 AM, said:

Nope, if PGI will go against most players whim he game might end badly. Many examples out there. The buisness is to be on top and a little ahead of the players whim.

My god. I can't wait to read your business plan or your mission statement. You mistake "whim" for demographic "demand". The two are entirely different.

View PostProsperity Park, on 16 February 2016 - 03:37 PM, said:

Yup, plenty of people have suggested monetizing the pilot model (spending MC to prettify yourself). Faction suits are a great first step.

Bonus MC if you can put Enhanced Imaging Tattoos on your face! :D

#238 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 05:04 PM

I assumed the pilot model would be in this update. I was wrong. Again. :)

#239 Jables McBarty

• 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 16 February 2016 - 05:07 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 12 February 2016 - 05:13 PM, said:

Hey, I've seen some sh*t, but I still wouldn't be wearing underwear to war. Ever burn your naked thighs on leather seats in the summer? Not to mention that mechwarriors, like tank crews, are sometimes forced to leave their vehicle. In that situation, a bullet-proof thong isn't going to help that much!

Wait, so the Norwegian cavalry are all going commando? o.O

Without underwear, what am I supposed to s*** when I see the enemy?

View PostTexAce, on 13 February 2016 - 02:02 AM, said:

I would love a new mech Bay. One where we could pan around to see all our mechs. Or even a 3D one.

Different people, different expectations of what makes a game good.

Go play the new Grey box maps they'll add next patch. Looks like that's what you are wanting.

I just want the number on the MechBay to change when I switch 'mechs. Not every single one of my 'mechs is in Bay #4!!!

Edited by Jables McBarty, 16 February 2016 - 05:08 PM.

#240 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 05:08 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 16 February 2016 - 03:08 PM, said:

Naked Pilots are stupid Pilots.

True but, naked pilots especially female naked pilots help with nerd fantasty driven sales. Ie. Natasha Kerensky art, Cassiopeia Suthorn etc., etc...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users