#181 ScarecrowES

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 14 February 2016 - 11:15 AM

View Postpyrocomp, on 14 February 2016 - 11:13 AM, said:

Then each write a letter to Russ with promise of hard cash for uniforms. If the proposed sum (integrally) will be worth artists time you will have it.

If you think PGI hasn't already figured out that they have a huge revenue stream in purely cosmetic items, you haven't been paying attention. ;)

#182 Tiamat of the Sea

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 11:17 AM

View PostHit the Deck, on 12 February 2016 - 04:24 PM, said:

Aren't they supposed to be "half naked" inside the cockpit to mitigate the heat?

Open quote

The eighties.

Close quote.

#183 pyrocomp

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 11:18 AM

View PostScarecrowES, on 14 February 2016 - 11:15 AM, said:

If you think PGI hasn't already figured out that they have a huge revenue stream in purely cosmetic items, you haven't been paying attention. Posted Image

I paid attention to that, but the idea to sell custom geometry (like different Atlas skulls) for MCs or hard cash didn't come to frution. So I'm not so optimistic on prospects to have different pilot skins (of even models) as of now.

#184 Thunder Lips Express

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 905 posts
  • LocationFrom parts unknown

Posted 14 February 2016 - 11:23 AM

View PostCMDR Sunset Shimmer, on 14 February 2016 - 04:39 AM, said:

Jesus H Fing Christ... it's not a "Physics Defying Excuse" THE GOD DAMNED MEDICAL FIELD TELLS US THAT REGULATING CORE BODY TEMP IS FAR MORE IMPORTANT THAN REGULATING THE TEMP OF EXTREMITIES.

If you keep the core body temperature at a proper temperature, the body's natural circulatory system helps keep the rest of the body cool. This is proven, medical FACT.

Also generally, the decision to go half naked, was often the pilots, as many could wear a modified flight suit, but they tended to find Trunks and a cooling vest + web belt, boots and holster for side arm, more comfortable due to evaporative cooling on their extremities, than wearing a flight suit.

This entire damn argument, has been discussed IN THE LORE, and the reasons have been given, there is 0 reason to change it. None, it's an established fact of BATTLETECH on the whole. And many pilots that have access to full cooling suits don't even like them because they tend to be more restrictive in battle due to stiffness!
lol get at him dawg!

#185 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 14 February 2016 - 12:53 PM

The whole subject of more in game content and customizations and cosmetics is a good one. I'm not sure how much this pilot model could effects things. But that would be great if it did in some way like they are going to put more effort in this direction and that sort of thing.

#186 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,341 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 14 February 2016 - 02:36 PM

Stop trying to apply real world logic to Battletech Goddess, please.

Battletech has Battletech logic, not real world logic, if battletech worked on real world logic, we wouldn't have Battlemechs.

#187 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 03:16 PM

Is it different? I don't even know what the current model looks like, can't recall ever seeing any of it unless I'm looking for the kill count monitor in-between rounds in CW.

#188 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,341 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 14 February 2016 - 05:49 PM

View Postsycocys, on 14 February 2016 - 03:16 PM, said:

Is it different? I don't even know what the current model looks like, can't recall ever seeing any of it unless I'm looking for the kill count monitor in-between rounds in CW.

The original is a shiny, green-blue suit. The coming new one it seems is more a traditional fight suit with a cooling vest.

I believe somewhere in the thread is a comparison shot.

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 13 February 2016 - 01:35 AM, said:

A comparison for general interest...

Posted Image

old on the right, new on the left. For reference.

#189 Tickdoff Tank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,647 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:49 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 12 February 2016 - 04:49 PM, said:

Do you think tank crews strip down to their underwear and go to war wearing only boots?

Well, according to some of the 19Kilo guys I know, the Marines may actually prefer it like that. Of course, I would expect nothing less from the Jarheads :) HOOAH!

#190 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 09:11 PM

View PostKodyn, on 12 February 2016 - 10:19 PM, said:

^This. PGI makes no money off of this improvement, we gain nothing as players off of this improvement. Except for the few, very vocal people who are super excited.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for you guys, I bet you're also real cheap dates and a blast to take out drinking on $2 pitcher night, but I guess some of us are harder to please. Posted Image

this can make PGI Money, just like Camos, once they have the New Pilot out, its only the start,
one of the Dev Streams they sad they where working on 2 new Models one Male & one Female,
so if 2 are beign worked on we can assume we will be able to change them, if so,

1) Faction Suits(Suits in the Colors of your Faction)
2) Limited Edition Suits(Special Suits that are like Event Rewards)
3) Unique Suits(Pirate, hairy leg man, Bathing Suit Girl, Ect)

PGI can make money on this just as Cockpit Items, :)

#191 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 14 February 2016 - 09:14 PM

View PostAndi Nagasia, on 14 February 2016 - 09:11 PM, said:

this can make PGI Money, just like Camos, once they have the New Pilot out, its only the start,
one of the Dev Streams they sad they where working on 2 new Models one Male & one Female,
so if 2 are beign worked on we can assume we will be able to change them, if so,

PGI can make money on this just as Cockpit Items, :)

Relying on mechs only for so long I was convinced this game had an aversion to money. This year could still get very interesting even if it did start off a bit slow.

#192 Mech Jager

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 122 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 09:16 PM

View PostKaeb Odellas, on 12 February 2016 - 04:48 PM, said:

One of the sillier aspects of Battletech lore.

Exposed skin in a cramped cockpit covered in hot surfaces is a very, very bad idea.

Not as bad as cooking Bacon naked - so I have heard.

#193 Zibmo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • 488 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 10:34 PM

View PostCion, on 12 February 2016 - 04:20 PM, said:

https://www.instagra...chwarrioronline

Posted Image

I think it's an improvement

Probably the best game balance change they could possibly make. Glad they spent resources on this - we were in dire need.

#194 Ulris Ventis

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 02:31 AM

Wow, now that is a load of problems with something so minor in terms of resources as a MechWarrior model.
To clarify, a modeler takes an old model, upgrades it by adding more polys and fixing the model itself, then he adds updated textures. Done.
This is no big deal to upgrade an existing model for something more appropriate in 2016.

The old green model (a placeholder I believe) was ugly when I first saw MWO a long time ago (In the end of 2013), and it looked as ugly when I got back in MWO after a while. This ugly thing have no reason to exist in the game at all. The start up sequence is totally messed up due to the boxy hands that model has.

Edited by Ulris Ventis, 15 February 2016 - 02:33 AM.

#195 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 15 February 2016 - 02:40 AM

View PostZibmo, on 14 February 2016 - 10:34 PM, said:

Probably the best game balance change they could possibly make. Glad they spent resources on this - we were in dire need.

Yes, dude... Because texture and model artists are responsible for the game's balance...

#196 Ratpoison

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 851 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 04:41 AM

View PostCMDR Sunset Shimmer, on 14 February 2016 - 02:36 PM, said:

Stop trying to apply real world logic to Battletech Goddess, please.

Battletech has Battletech logic, not real world logic, if battletech worked on real world logic, we wouldn't have Battlemechs.

I can't accept that as an excuse for bad, lazily written science fiction. No one is stopping you or anyone else from keeping whatever nonsense fluff you want, it is a tabletop universe after all, but it's 2016 and concepts like that need to be left behind if Battletech wants to continue gaining popularity.

#197 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 15 February 2016 - 05:10 AM

View PostAndi Nagasia, on 14 February 2016 - 09:11 PM, said:

PGI can make money on this just as Cockpit Items, Posted Image

If this is true, I hope they modelled the helmet as well. Then we could actually see our avatar (i.e. mechwarrior) in the Mechbay, standing next to technicians. It would incentivize buying new textures.

#198 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 15 February 2016 - 05:21 AM

View PostZibmo, on 14 February 2016 - 10:34 PM, said:

Every time an art asset is updated the guy that does balance had nothing to do with it. Keep that in mind...

I'll just leave this here...

http://mwomercs.com/...-down-the-road/

#199 Ulris Ventis

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 05:33 AM

View PosttortuousGoddess, on 15 February 2016 - 04:41 AM, said:

I can't accept that as an excuse for bad, lazily written science fiction. No one is stopping you or anyone else from keeping whatever nonsense fluff you want, it is a tabletop universe after all, but it's 2016 and concepts like that need to be left behind if Battletech wants to continue gaining popularity.

I actually agree with this statement. It might be a bit harsh however, but in the 80's some specific design choices were all right back then even if those lack logic put behind it and were purely aesthetic and atmospheric. I believe most people know that those living in desert areas usually wear quite "warm" protective cloth completely sealing their body from the external heat since early medieval ages. This is no rocket science for sure.

I believe however that it still better be optional appealing to a wide audience from those knowing only MW series with no idea about the BT behind it and to hardcore BT fans that enjoy every aspect of the universe. I've no problem with that.

#200 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 15 February 2016 - 05:41 AM

View PostTarogato, on 12 February 2016 - 10:01 PM, said:

There's a difference between polish that you get to see every match (and purchasable content) and polish that you never see. I seriously never see the pilot model, and I run a higher than default FoV.

How can you not see it?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users