250 replies to this topic

#41 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 February 2016 - 09:29 PM

Personally I don't see the point in this. Seems like a waste of resources to me. Nobody ever gets to see the player model. Am I delusional here?

#42 Sable

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 924 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 09:29 PM

The inner sphere pilots often dressed down with a cooling vest. The more money you had the better cooling equipment you could get. Full blown comstar pilots had nice cooling suits while clan mechs ran cool enough to not really need them (true double heat sinks). And the pilot model is about going back and improving on the shortcuts they originally took. And i believe he said in the town hall that people have their main tasks they are assigned too and they have side projects they work on when they have time. This is one of those side projects. Why do you think it took so long to come out?

Edited by Sable, 12 February 2016 - 09:31 PM.

#43 Surn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Kurita
  • Hero of Kurita
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 12 February 2016 - 09:31 PM

I am waiting to see a cockpit with a mouse control

#44 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 12 February 2016 - 09:42 PM

View PostTarogato, on 12 February 2016 - 09:29 PM, said:

Personally I don't see the point in this. Seems like a waste of resources to me. Nobody ever gets to see the player model. Am I delusional here?

Well, you get to see it during the pre-game animation and you can also use free-look to take a peek during the match.

In terms of productivity, I would hope that it's not the same people who are supposed to be handling weapons/quirks/etc...

#45 MoonUnitBeta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 12 February 2016 - 09:58 PM

Why not complain about the new pheonix cockpit items then? Only you see cockpit items.... the difference is that PGI isn't charging you for the new model. I don't know why people are complaining about PGI doing some much needed polish to their game...

#46 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:01 PM

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 12 February 2016 - 09:58 PM, said:

Why not complain about the new pheonix cockpit items then? Only you see cockpit items.... the difference is that PGI isn't charging you for the new model. I don't know why people are complaining about PGI doing some much needed polish to their game...

There's a difference between polish that you get to see every match (and purchasable content) and polish that you never see. I seriously never see the pilot model, and I run a higher than default FoV.

#47 Chuck Jager

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:19 PM

View PostKaeb Odellas, on 12 February 2016 - 04:48 PM, said:

One of the sillier aspects of Battletech lore.

Exposed skin in a cramped cockpit covered in hot surfaces is a very, very bad idea.

I grew up in the southern US. Nothing worse than jumping in a vw with vinyl seats in 100 degree weather in shorts. OK there are worse things, but it is against the TOS to talk about them on the forums.

#48 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:19 PM

View PostTarogato, on 12 February 2016 - 10:01 PM, said:

There's a difference between polish that you get to see every match (and purchasable content) and polish that you never see. I seriously never see the pilot model, and I run a higher than default FoV.

^This. PGI makes no money off of this improvement, we gain nothing as players off of this improvement. Except for the few, very vocal people who are super excited.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for you guys, I bet you're also real cheap dates and a blast to take out drinking on $2 pitcher night, but I guess some of us are harder to please. ;)

#49 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:22 PM

View PostTarogato, on 12 February 2016 - 10:01 PM, said:

As fup pointed out, it's seen during the start up sequence, which is seen at the start of every match by everybody. I think that's a pretty good excuse to warrant the investment towards a decent looking pilot model. Since it's seen so often, it is only going to help the game look more polished. I don't see it as a bad thing and it brings the old assets up to standard of a AAA game. And, who knows, maybe they're putting this much work into a pilot model for customizable suits? Maybe it'll be used in more than just the pilot...

And now, if those weren't good enough reasons, here's one that is: Just because you don't see it now - what about later? Russ is very interested in VR and wants to get on board... A lot of people will be exploring the cockpit and seeing a lot more of the pilot model then.

View PostKodyn, on 12 February 2016 - 10:19 PM, said:

^This. PGI makes no money off of this improvement, we gain nothing as players off of this improvement. Except for the few, very vocal people who are super excited.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for you guys, I bet you're also real cheap dates and a blast to take out drinking on $2 pitcher night, but I guess some of us are harder to please. Posted Image

see above.

Edit:
Not to mention, but the art department was never really a bottle neck... They're taking on redoing maps... talking on rescaling mechs... and if they can do all that and still reskin the pilot model, then why not? We're not exactly missing out on anything. Most of the things we need/want are largely code based...

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 12 February 2016 - 10:29 PM.

#50 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:33 PM

I could literally debate this for hours, and in the end it's going to keep coming down to the fact that I, and some others, are going to keep thinking there's better things to be done with PGI's time and our money than "X", "Y", or "Z" item.

I personally have spent a certain amount on the game, and am done spending, indefinitely, until I see PGI start to use it's income in ways that I feel will actually improve the game. It's everyone's own choice and preference what those things are that actually constitute improvements, and therefore how to vote with their wallets.

If PGI consistently made good choices with their time and our money, and had a proven track record of adding great features, timely fixes, smooth gameplay, etc, I would likely be a lot more trusting of their ability to manage their own time and resources, but....reality is a thing, and they do not have this track record, so I see a lot of the things they are proud of as a severe waste of time and effort.

As I said, I'm happy that some of you are happy, I'm not against other people getting things they want in the game, so long as those things don't hurt the overall game, but I simply cannot agree nor get excited myself. It's just one of those situations where there are two sides to this fence, and there will always be some of us on either side, no matter how much we debate it.

Everyone has different values, needs and wants.

#51 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 12 February 2016 - 11:12 PM

I see it at the beginning of every match, and it looks like 2000 era unreal tournament crap.

So yeah, I'm glad it's getting addressed. I hope some of the cockpit get remapped and textures too, thanks.

#52 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 12 February 2016 - 11:14 PM

Oh maaan, i was hoping to be able to see my hairy legs Posted Image

#53 Rorvik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 230 posts
  • LocationYYZ

Posted 12 February 2016 - 11:22 PM

View PostKodyn, on 12 February 2016 - 09:03 PM, said:

Artists for PGI do indeed do map design, since they lack a dedicated coder. They have been fairly transparent about this fact for a good while now.

What do coders have to do with map / gameplay designers? Posted Image

View PostKodyn, on 12 February 2016 - 10:33 PM, said:

I could literally debate this for hours, and in the end it's going to keep coming down to the fact that I, and some others, are going to keep thinking there's better things to be done with PGI's time and our money

It's a free-to-play game. You buy Mechs and colours and camos and Premium Time and that's about it. There's no option to pay for certain features you feel are worthwhile.

Edited by Rorvik, 12 February 2016 - 11:23 PM.

#54 NextGame

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationHaggis Country

Posted 12 February 2016 - 11:29 PM

View PostSuko, on 12 February 2016 - 04:40 PM, said:

I was expecting something a bit different.

Posted Image

thats right, we need dinosaurs

#55 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 12 February 2016 - 11:32 PM

Coders and artists are generally both needed for map design, in PGI's case, they have one, but not the other...not sure why this point is so confusing, it's something they've actually come out and admitted in the past, that they've literally had the guys that make the trees having to code the maps because no one could decipher what the old coder had left them with. Not like I just made it up, some digging and I'm sure someone could find the posts if they wished.

As far as what you're paying for with a free-to-play, that's again open for debate. I'd say we're paying for PGI to continue to supply a fun and interesting experience, otherwise, why play, and more importantly for them, why pay? If all some people want is cockpit items and skins, then great, MWO is a wild success for them. PGI however has repeatedly asked for player feedback, and in some cases, acted on it. Therefore, we, as a community, have ideas and suggest them. More often than not, we all completely disagree with each other on nearly every idea, feature, and suggestion.

If PGI decides all they want to do is keep making stuff pretty, and not actually fix the core game, CW, bugs, etc, that's their business. I feel like that would be bad business however, and I don't think that's PGI's plan, they're just very slow and haphazard about how they implement things. I feel like eventually they will fix the things I want to see fixed, just as a lot of people complained about the pilot model for years, and now it's been improved.

How long do you want to keep going back and forth on this, or can we agree that we don't have to agree on this one? I don't think the world's going to explode if everyone's not equally pleased with a new pilot model.

#56 TheUncle

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 96 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 01:13 AM

Great, happy they change it. The old model has really low res textures and bad texture seams.

I also have a high FOV, which immerses me a lot in the game and I like to hold CTRL and look around in my cockpit when marching towards the action

#57 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 01:35 AM

A comparison for general interest...

Posted Image

#58 Ratpoison

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 851 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 01:48 AM

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 13 February 2016 - 01:35 AM, said:

A comparison for general interest...

Posted Image

Can't understand how people are complaining, I've thought that old model has looked ugly for years. This was a long time coming, though I'm glad the PGI hate train is still dumb enough to think that the artist who worked on this should have been doing some coding task they aren't trained for instead. Stay classy.

Although on the topic of "cooling vests", I've personally always handwaved that nonsense, and I'm glad PGI went with a full body suit instead. Exposed skin only REDUCES the effectiveness of a bodily cooling system, especially in a boiling hot mech cockpit. Full body insulation increases the potential to keep heat down drastically, it's just nonsense to believe that any "cooling vests" and other such half naked protective equipment would have ever even been developed for MechWarriors. It's a part of the lore that needs to be trashed and forgotten.

#59 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 February 2016 - 02:02 AM

View PostGRiPSViGiL, on 12 February 2016 - 07:59 PM, said:

Ya seriously. What is next a redo of the mech bay. Things that have no bearing on gameplay being worked on just seems pointless.

I would love a new mech Bay. One where we could pan around to see all our mechs. Or even a 3D one.

Different people, different expectations of what makes a game good.

Go play the new Grey box maps they'll add next patch. Looks like that's what you are wanting.

Edited by TexAce, 13 February 2016 - 02:03 AM.

#60 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 02:36 AM

This thread has been an absolute joy to read so far.

My 2 cents is I'm glad.

When I came back to mechwarrior last spring, I almost busted out laughing during the start up animation. It was that ugly. IT was that out of place. We're all used to it and I am guessing most admit that it looks kind of ugly, but man, when I first started playing again and I saw that, it was HORRENDOUS. The current pilot model looks like it has 800x600 textures and about 100 polys. It had to happen sooner or later, and honestly working on little things like this might seem trivial now, but imagine if they just kept on doing this with whatever the worst looking thing in-game was, eventually it starts contributing to the overall polish.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users