New Pilot Model In Instagram

250 replies to this topic

#61 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 13 February 2016 - 02:47 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 12 February 2016 - 04:51 PM, said:

Boba Fett? ........... Boba Fett!

lol that's what I thought as soon as I saw it Posted Image

View PostHit the Deck, on 12 February 2016 - 05:20 PM, said:

Posted Image

Omg that is so sexy. Would look better if that woman wasn't standing in front of it though.

#62 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 13 February 2016 - 02:56 AM

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 12 February 2016 - 10:22 PM, said:

As fup pointed out, it's seen during the start up sequence, which is seen at the start of every match by everybody.

Except for those players (including me) that rarely see the start up sequence because of a bug that's been around for years.
What I usually see is the area in front of my mech and maybe a teammate in my lance. When the match actually starts BB starts her dialogue and the cockpit appears when/if I move the mouse.

#63 Kyle Travis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 210 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 04:09 AM

Any customisation in this area is welcomed - I'd like to have a very different pilot model in Natasha's or Lori's cockpit than in Greyson's!

#64 GRiPSViGiL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 13 February 2016 - 09:05 AM

View PostTexAce, on 13 February 2016 - 02:02 AM, said:

I would love a new mech Bay. One where we could pan around to see all our mechs. Or even a 3D one.

Different people, different expectations of what makes a game good.

Go play the new Grey box maps they'll add next patch. Looks like that's what you are wanting.

Maps not fleshed out would be stupid and hinder gameplay. Nothing I said could lead anyone with any common sense to believe I would think that is good in any way. Maps textures at least have a purpose in gameplay seeing your mechs sitting motionless in the mech bay does not. Acting like that is comparable to some novelty people might do one time and never again is asinine. Panning around a mechbay is just as pointless. How often would you say you would admire your mechs? I am sure you say a lot but that answer wouldn't be a solid reason for PGI to waste time doing it. You might get it though, they seems to do things that are unnecessary and pointless regularly so there is hope.

#65 GRiPSViGiL

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 13 February 2016 - 09:14 AM

This is a clear indication the change is pointless. The old model was acceptable. The new one is no better or no worse considering it is the equivalent to watching the bar fill of a loading screen until you can control your mech. Without more artists that coders though it makes sense we primarily receive inconsequential things like this that do absolutely nothing for gameplay.

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 13 February 2016 - 01:35 AM, said:

A comparison for general interest...

Posted Image

#66 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 13 February 2016 - 09:30 AM

I want to be impressed but I'm not. I know exactly how difficult it is to replace textures.

I wont be impressed until I can get out of my mech!

#67 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 09:45 AM

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 12 February 2016 - 09:58 PM, said:

Why not complain about the new pheonix cockpit items then? Only you see cockpit items.... the difference is that PGI isn't charging you for the new model. I don't know why people are complaining about PGI doing some much needed polish to their game...

Good point. Complaining isn't correct though. Even this upcoming update looks amazing but the fact remains that pilots are mech bound and that's lame. Star Citizen has FPS mode, just imagine if Star Citizen pilots couldn't exit or move around their ships. I really hope MechWarrior Online isn't taking a fall so Star Citizen looks better than it is.

Its not a big deal to have pilots be able to move around the mechbay. It would be a big deal if it was really in depth and a huge part of the game, but basic movement around the mechbay should be doable.

MechWarrior Online doesn't needs a fps shooter mode, its the best already. What it needs is some more coolness factor. Being able to exit the mechs and be able to walk around the mechbay would be a great start from 100 really good reasons starting with giving mechs some scale.

Seriously anyone know where the hype level would be for Star Citizen if their pilots were ship bound? Actually that's easy to answer, it would be the same hype that Elite Dangerous is getting.

Edited by Johnny Z, 13 February 2016 - 09:54 AM.

#68 GRiPSViGiL

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 13 February 2016 - 09:52 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 13 February 2016 - 09:45 AM, said:

Good point. Complaining isn't correct though. Even this upcoming update looks amazing but the fact remains that pilots are mech bound and that's lame. Star Citizen has FPS mode, just imagine if Star Citizen pilots couldn't exit or move around their ships. I really hope MechWarrior Online isn't taking a fall so Star Citizen looks better than it is.

Its not a big deal to have pilots be able to move around the mechbay. It would be a big deal if it was really in depth and a huge part of the game, but basic movement around the mechbay should be doable.

MechWarrior Online doesn't needs a fps shooter mode, its the best already. What it needs is some more coolness factor. Being able to exit the mechs and be able to walk around the mechbay would be a great start from 100 really good reasons starting with giving mechs some scale.

Moving around the mech bay to provide scale? That is less a reason that most of thrown out. If this lead to FPS mode with our pilots I would be behind it but there is no good reason for it. If it is some hollow part of gameplay like nothing more than walking around looking at your stuff it is utterly pointless. People seem to like stuff like that so it may well happen. I would never waste my time looking at my stuff. Same as I don't watch the start up sequence since I have seen it once and that was more than enough.

#69 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 09:58 AM

View PostGRiPSViGiL, on 13 February 2016 - 09:52 AM, said:

Moving around the mech bay to provide scale? That is less a reason that most of thrown out. If this lead to FPS mode with our pilots I would be behind it but there is no good reason for it. If it is some hollow part of gameplay like nothing more than walking around looking at your stuff it is utterly pointless. People seem to like stuff like that so it may well happen. I would never waste my time looking at my stuff. Same as I don't watch the start up sequence since I have seen it once and that was more than enough.

I bet you never read a book in your life? :)

The start up animation is the coolest thing about MechWarrior Online to this day. A proper eject animation would be just as cool as well as other in cockpit animations, maybe being able to give the other team the finger and it play on comms in the top corner of the screen, via a comm wheel. :)

That's just some in cockpit improvements they could make. Out of cockpit game play is whats missing in a big way though.

Down playing Battle and Omni mech scale? are you serious? :)

MechWarrior is way cooler that the competition if they ever get around to getting some of this stuff done. Star Citizen can have its working in cockpit displays to a level that really isn't going to help game play. MechWarrior Online can put the MechWarrior in the game.

Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous cant do what MechWarrior Online can do. Maybe EA using Mass Effect series going Online could.(they wont if they are smart, if they are smart they will stick to the one title that will actually make them money) Aside from that MechWarrior is untouchable because SC and ED listened to idiots that said "Open World" is where its at. Maybe in 20 years but for now load screens are needed to have a proper level of detail.

MechWarrior Online is using a similar system to the Mass Effect system, not the open world system. Its better. If anyone didn't catch that.

All the games will be using this system and the loading areas and amount of players will grow with technology rather than saying "Derp, Open World, Derp".

Edited by Johnny Z, 13 February 2016 - 10:14 AM.

#70 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 10:29 AM

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 12 February 2016 - 08:33 PM, said:

Like, why have visual fx at all, man, or like textures, or reflections, or glows. why bother with making trees look like trees? from a gameplay perspective all we need is cylindrical grey shapes as obsticales, just imagine what kind of game we would have today if artists didn't spend their time doodling and actually programmed something AMIRITE?

... Sometimes, it's not always about gameplay. Sometimes it's just nice to be surrounded in a beautiful environment to kill each other in, both inside and outside the cockpit.

This is exactly why having your game allow an advantage at lower visual settings is scummy.

#71 TheSilken

• 1,492 posts
  • LocationLost in The Warp

Posted 13 February 2016 - 10:38 AM

View PostHit the Deck, on 12 February 2016 - 05:28 PM, said:

I could be wrong but I think that's a Stone Rhino Posted Image

It is a Stone Rhino. Note the Clan Ghost Bear emblem.

Posted Image

#72 Triordinant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 13 February 2016 - 10:49 AM

No female version with just a cooling vest and hot pants?

#73 KHETTI

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationIn transit to 1 of 4 possible planets

Posted 13 February 2016 - 11:03 AM

I'm liking the new pilot skin, massive improvement, design makes sense and conveys a bit more polish to the game, GJ PGI.

#74 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 13 February 2016 - 11:10 AM

I'm all for the new pilot model. This has been on the agenda since before the initial beta ended, and I'm glad to finally see it done.

For those complaining it's a waste of company resources to produce this kind of change... try to remember how PGI is divided up. The groups working on maps, mech models, gameplay fixes, and small stuff like this are all seperate entities. It's not as though the person building the new pilot model could just be ported over to making map improvements or fixing gameplay bugs. So while there are higher priority things we'd like to see in general, there are likely no higher priority items for the person (or team) working on the pilot model to tackle.

There can't be any arguement here against the need to update the model. The original is aweful. And considering every single player sees this model in action at the beginning of every match, it's a bigger part of the MWO experience than some folks are willing to admit. I for one am glad to see the change.

I'm wondering if we'll see multiple pilot models... maybe male/female models, clan/IS models... or (my personal wish) model skins that reflect a player's chosen faction. Imagine being able to see a real difference between a Female Ghost Bear pilot and a male DC pilot.

Also, I'd love to see some expanded cockpit interaction from the pilot with the controls. Like in a racing game when the driver switches gears and you can see him actually shift, I'd like to see the pilot actually hit a button when we switch ECM from disrupt to counter mode, or open our launch doors, or switch vision modes, etc. That would be pretty cool.

#75 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 13 February 2016 - 11:21 AM

I see they spent lots of time and resources getting it totally wrong again, mech pilots don't wear trousers in a cockpit its to damn hot

#76 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 13 February 2016 - 11:24 AM

View PostCathy, on 13 February 2016 - 11:21 AM, said:

I see they spent lots of time and resources getting it totally wrong again, mech pilots don't wear trousers in a cockpit its to damn hot

Clan pilots do, i'm pretty sure.

IS pilots go in boxer briefs and vests Posted Image

#77 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 13 February 2016 - 11:28 AM

As I already stated, everyone's not going to agree with this. It's nice to see I was able to stay mature and keep it light, while those of you arguing for the model are basically calling those of us against it idiots, even after I explained to you why I feel how I do.

Good job, stay classy. Further proof of why I should be glad no one actually uses Voip in this game, would likely drop my IQ to listen to it.

#78 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 13 February 2016 - 11:52 AM

View PostKodyn, on 13 February 2016 - 11:28 AM, said:

As I already stated, everyone's not going to agree with this. It's nice to see I was able to stay mature and keep it light, while those of you arguing for the model are basically calling those of us against it idiots, even after I explained to you why I feel how I do.

Good job, stay classy. Further proof of why I should be glad no one actually uses Voip in this game, would likely drop my IQ to listen to it.

I've read your posts on the matter. You've largely been a jerk on the matter and have shown a total ignorance to the actual process of developing these changes and the make-up of PGI's teams. Changing the pilot model is in no way taking away resources necessary to make any of the improvements you might have placed a higher priority on than the pilot model. Those other things you might want are still in the pipeline and being handled by completely different groups of people.

You could argue, for instance, that you'd rather PGI fire the artist or team handling small items like the pilot model and instead hire a coder (or team) to handle background gameplay issues. But PGI already has a team doing that. Or you could argue that you might prefer the team handling things like the pilot model work on maps instead. But they already have a team doing that. UI issues? They have people on that. New or improved mech models? They've got it covered.

Getting a new pilot model is not preventing us from getting other things we might want more.

#79 GRiPSViGiL

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 13 February 2016 - 12:18 PM

View PostKHETTI, on 13 February 2016 - 11:03 AM, said:

I'm liking the new pilot skin, massive improvement, design makes sense and conveys a bit more polish to the game, GJ PGI.

May as well praise them for inconsequential improvements because we rarely if at all get actual gameplay ones. PGI has the expectations bar so low people give them props for such, it is comical in an understated way of course.

#80 GRiPSViGiL

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 13 February 2016 - 12:22 PM

View PostScarecrowES, on 13 February 2016 - 11:52 AM, said:

Getting a new pilot model is not preventing us from getting other things we might want more.

It certainly is...it is a priority thing that people seem to not get. Yet here we are PGI fixes something not actually broken that adds essential NOTHING to gameplay nor immersion for those that think watching the same start up sequence a kajillion times is immersive. Like many have said they didn't even put the proper outfit on the pilot.

Edited by GRiPSViGiL, 13 February 2016 - 12:22 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users