#21 MeanFacedJohnny

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 87 posts
  • LocationA flooded ass basement.

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:41 AM

View PosttortuousGoddess, on 14 February 2016 - 08:13 AM, said:

It's not a bad build, it lets you engage decently well at both long and short ranges. However, since you've got 3 missile hardpoints on that D-DC, you should consider taking out the LRM20 for two LRM10s, as they come with a lower cooldown and tighter grouping. The heat will be very slightly higher, but the damage should apply itself much better, and faster.

Went ahead and got the modules for the lrm 10's. Cost me the rest of my XP and money lol. I do like the idea of it though.

#22 Aetes Nakatomi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 571 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire, England

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:43 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 14 February 2016 - 08:31 AM, said:

what i dont like now is metamechs. not because they are good or pro elite. part of the fun in the game is trying new builds and seeing which perform better when meshed with your skill set. i dont want someone to give me an optimal build that is so honed to perfection that it is the pinnacle of any chassis and further alteration is pointless. id rather come to that conclusion myself. also what is optimal for pilot a is not going to be optimal for pilot b. for example im terrible at ranged combat. its taken me awhile to get my aim good enough to hit targets at 750+ reliably. so im not very effitient with long range campy builds. i also am a bit aggressive so i tend to prefer brawlers and i love ballistic mechs. so it only goes to figure i run a lot of ballistic boats and srm brawlers because im really good with them.

I will admit most of builds end up as Meta or close to Meta. But I find my way there the hard way through building a Mech then testing in battle, tweaking and testing and tweaking and testing until it either feels like hard punching death machine or alternatively is a lot of fun.

Anyone tells me how to build my Mechs I just laugh at them. Who the hell are they? Some dude that copied a build from a website LOLZ!

#23 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:44 AM

View PostxXBagheeraXx, on 14 February 2016 - 08:00 AM, said:

Lrm 20s on an atlas is a bad idea because you dont have enough tubes to effectively use all those LRMS...its just a BAD build...

yeah its YOUR mech i get that but you gimp your team by carrying such sub optimal weapons...

I remember when I rolled out in my D-DC the first time years ago with what is now the 'standard' build (LLs, SRM6s, AC20, ECM) and people said it was "sub-optimal" because it didn't have enough range and SRM hitreg was awful. Eventually, people started to see how good the build could be with a decent pilot and stopped complaining.

"Gimping the team" doesn't fall on the build as much as it does the pilot in most cases. Meta builds aren't the greatest things ever. Deal with it.

#24 pyrocomp

• Philanthropist
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:44 AM

View PostChoppah, on 14 February 2016 - 08:34 AM, said:

The main problem is I believe most players have with this is the ECM on the DDC is far better utilized near the front of the battlefield. LRMs give away your position and spoil any chance of surprise, this setup simply has too great a contrast of roles. Atlas do not work well with LRMs, the King Crab has plenty of tubes and is way better at fully utilizing LRMs, but if you think you get a lot of hate in a LRM atlas...

As if the position of a team may be kept unknown for more than 30 seconds on any map except the Polar (and all those shooting in the air 'to check the weapons'). And usually people are negatively surprised to find out that those 'LRM-boats in that trench' have AC20 for offenders (as the build description goes). And, to be honest, when the team brings LRMs, just by a single LRM5 rack per mech, it has quite an advantage before going close (seen that from the other end, didn't like it even with AMS).

#25 Aetes Nakatomi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 571 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:45 AM

View PostxXBagheeraXx, on 14 February 2016 - 08:41 AM, said:

I have 0 respect for an atlas when i see lrms on it...if i saw that in a pub match, bumrush you, straight for your AC20 then you are pretty much a walking EXP piniata....if you where packing SRMS however Id treat you with much more caution...sorry OP Bad build is bad.......Now however, 2 er large a gauss rifle and 3 lrm5's? thats a good alternative..its actually a dangerous long range harraser.

Sounds like you need to be in group queue. Although I do agree if I see a bad build on the enemy team I rush them to take them out fast and grab some easy cash (does go wrong sometimes though).

Edited by Aetes Nakatomi, 14 February 2016 - 08:47 AM.

#26 TheCharlatan

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:46 AM

Let's put it like this:
You are entitled to take anything you like.
But we are entitled to at least take a friendly jab at your build, beacause it IS kinda bad.
Offensive behaviour? Report that.
But you have to steel yourself to a bit of tease.
It's like when you come to a friendly match of *insert favourite sport here* with a old pair of pants. You might find them comfy, but the others have the right to tease you a bit about them (again, it's cool as long as it's not too aggressive).

Edited by TheCharlatan, 14 February 2016 - 08:46 AM.

#27 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:47 AM

View PostxWiredx, on 14 February 2016 - 08:44 AM, said:

I remember when I rolled out in my D-DC the first time years ago with what is now the 'standard' build (LLs, SRM6s, AC20, ECM) and people said it was "sub-optimal" because it didn't have enough range and SRM hitreg was awful. Eventually, people started to see how good the build could be with a decent pilot and stopped complaining.

"Gimping the team" doesn't fall on the build as much as it does the pilot in most cases. Meta builds aren't the greatest things ever. Deal with it.

The reason that the Atlas brawl build is viable is because the meta has shifted to shorter ranged engagements, because several Atlas variants have tremendous quirks to allow them to both deal and absorb huge punishment.

And because this build with a good pilot will pretty much wreck just about any other mech in the game at close range.

#28 Burke IV

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:47 AM

I seen a king crab with 3 lrm 10s 4 medium lasers and more than 3000 lrm ammo. When i started taking the mickey he went mental, started ranting about how dare i critise his build.

#29 pyrocomp

• Philanthropist
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:50 AM

Same was for the twin-gauss DWFs at the beginning. Dakka was supposed to be supreme, seen only 1, maximum 2 gauss mechs in the match. Later it became gauss-laser meta. And no major buffs/nerfs. Seems it's more of a.. ahem... fashion. This seasons fashion is to bring LRMs (which were not buffed but suddenly people equip them even as polar is not that a usual map).

#30 Nerdboard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 226 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:52 AM

You're 100% right.

Anyone going on about how you 'cripple' the team: Quick Play is not a competitive gamemode. It's for fun. For trying out whatever build you want.

Don't get me wrong. If I am in teamspeak with friends or other people from the unit and I got only LRM assaults and we lose because we cant push anywhere... then yes I am 'raging' on teamspeak about these ******** idiots ruining my game. But this is what I say in the heat of the moment. It's when I want to do super awesome games for myself. I do not go ahead and write to my LRM assaults or insult them in voice.

And that Atlas build - while surely not being perfect - is far from griefing.

Enjoy the game.

#31 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:52 AM

I try never to tell anyone their build is hurting the team . I will recommend improvements to their builds maybe a better laser like the lpl other than the ers in this case.

But the truth is a 100ton mechs with 50% of the weapons in lrms is hurting the team. I would bet he would double his normal damage with a overquirked medium lrm boat.

#32 Aetes Nakatomi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 571 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:54 AM

View PostNerdboard, on 14 February 2016 - 08:52 AM, said:

You're 100% right.

Anyone going on about how you 'cripple' the team: Quick Play is not a competitive gamemode. It's for fun. For trying out whatever build you want.

Don't get me wrong. If I am in teamspeak with friends or other people from the unit and I got only LRM assaults and we lose because we cant push anywhere... then yes I am 'raging' on teamspeak about these ******** idiots ruining my game. But this is what I say in the heat of the moment. It's when I want to do super awesome games for myself. I do not go ahead and write to my LRM assaults or insult them in voice.

And that Atlas build - while surely not being perfect - is far from griefing.

Enjoy the game.

This.

#33 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:55 AM

View PostUltimax, on 14 February 2016 - 08:39 AM, said:

1) Yes, it's your mech.
2) It's OUR team, not your team, our team.

So when someone brings an Atlas that isn't even properly using their tubes, and the mech is literally incapable of fulfilling the one role that an Atlas is built for (Wrecking ball tank leading pushes) - while you might feel you "did fine" everyone else needs to play around the fact that they have one of their assaults in the back of the team safely lobbing LRMs.

So feel free to play whatever you want, but your team mates will probably feel equally as free to let you know when your personal choices directly affect them as well.

Its a two way street.

This here.. Was the end of the topic.

Edited by DV McKenna, 14 February 2016 - 08:55 AM.

#34 pyrocomp

• Philanthropist
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:56 AM

View PostBurke IV, on 14 February 2016 - 08:47 AM, said:

I seen a king crab with 3 lrm 10s 4 medium lasers and more than 3000 lrm ammo. When i started taking the mickey he went mental, started ranting about how dare i critise his build.

Should I show you my 4xLRM10+4ML KGC? Performes well, ends with one or two (or three if there was a good scout out there) solo kills and lots of damage, good for tearing those arms and ST off anything heavier than 50 tons. Not so good to spook lights, but... well, speed shield is still viable.

#35 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:59 AM

View PostMeanFacedJohnny, on 14 February 2016 - 07:59 AM, said:

Please Stop Telling Me How To Build.

But, but, but, there is only One True Build. The One True Way "experts" in this game say so. All non-believers are heretics that must be burned at the stake.

<Do as you wish. Ignore these no-life basement-dwellers.>

#36 Burke IV

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 09:00 AM

View Postpyrocomp, on 14 February 2016 - 08:56 AM, said:

Should I show you my 4xLRM10+4ML KGC? Performes well, ends with one or two (or three if there was a good scout out there) solo kills and lots of damage, good for tearing those arms and ST off anything heavier than 50 tons. Not so good to spook lights, but... well, speed shield is still viable.

Its a crab that wants to be a stalker. You dont walk round with all your locations packed with lrm ammo do you?

#37 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 14 February 2016 - 09:01 AM

View PostxXBagheeraXx, on 14 February 2016 - 08:00 AM, said:

Lrm 20s on an atlas is a bad idea because you dont have enough tubes to effectively use all those LRMS...its just a BAD build...

Does that mean Clanner LRMs should be made not to stream?

#38 Piney II

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 09:03 AM

To each, their own.

If you can make a build work for you, it's a good build. Build them as you see fit and have fun.

#39 pyrocomp

• Philanthropist
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 09:03 AM

View PostBurke IV, on 14 February 2016 - 09:00 AM, said:

Its a crab that wants to be a stalker. You dont walk round with all your locations packed with lrm ammo do you?

To be literraly on a self-destruct timer? No, way. 6 or 8 tons of ammo (depending on the mood) and the rest are heat sinks.

#40 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 09:04 AM

View PostUltimax, on 14 February 2016 - 08:47 AM, said:

The reason that the Atlas brawl build is viable is because the meta has shifted to shorter ranged engagements, because several Atlas variants have tremendous quirks to allow them to both deal and absorb huge punishment.

And because this build with a good pilot will pretty much wreck just about any other mech in the game at close range.

This was before you were even playing this game. Quirks didn't exist, SRM hitreg was absolutely horrid, and the meta was PPC+gauss then. The short-range D-DC build was viable then, and it certainly wasn't because any crap pilot could derp around while winding up with 1000 dmg.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users