Academy Tutorial Needs Anti-Lrm Training.

gameplay

64 replies to this topic

#61 VoodooLou Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 595 posts
  • LocationMember #2618

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:48 AM

View PostChound, on 10 January 2017 - 01:36 PM, said:

It wouldhelp if we knew which way to go. As a noob once the incoming missle goes off I have no idea which way to turn to get to cover. You need to be able to operate solo as well

Replay the tutorial get a feel on what your mech(s) weapons do heat wise as well as damage. Follow the blue n green dots. The learning curve is a bit harsh.
Life no one gets out alive.

#62 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:20 PM

View PostChound, on 10 January 2017 - 01:36 PM, said:

It wouldhelp if we knew which way to go.

Well, this is where map awareness and positioning come in. LRMs hitting you means someone has a lock on you, which means direct line of sight.

Break that line of sight. its either gooing to be the shooter, his spotter, or a UAV.

Ideally, you should be poking from cover anyways, unless part of a organized push.(newbs dont understand pushes - a good push multiplies firepower AND presents MORE targets to the enemy to have to choose to fire back at. Safety in numbers-type of thing.

Maps like Polar you basically want to move along the 'trenches'. Keep your head down unless you plan on shooting.

Newbs need to understand you not only look out in the field but also need to constantly glance at your RADAR for red doritos.
You learn how to guestimate the enemy moving even without seeing them because in Solo: they spawn opposite you on the map. They generally either herd to the center, or 'NASCAR' to their Right.

Group play will be different because of Comms usage, a commander can call out where to move units and get them to advantageous spots if so inclined/skilled.

But back to being LuRMed:

If you are in the open getting bombed, look to where the missiles are coming from and if you see the mech shooting them they likely have a direct lock.
Shoot them(many lrm boats flinch because they have XL engines and are walking ammo explosions waiting to happen). They flinch, they lose their lock.

If you dont see the shooting mech then someone else is holding their lock OR an enemy UAV is up overhead(look up repeatedly.
Similarly, shoot the spotter. No one wants to risk losing a component to hold a lock for some scrub LuRMer.
And they are scrubs. GOOD LRM pilots use TAG and get their own locks at 300-400m away from the action to concentrate damage on the CT(TAG usage) and reduce missile flight time giving the target less time to react. They also take hits for their team.

Bad LuRMers sit in the back 'supporting' their team by not contributing armor, begging for locks, and spreading damage all over because they dont TAG.

Every now and then a light Scout mech will run off to get locks/NARC for teammates. SHOOT THEIR LEGS. Look behind you. They will try to be sneaky because they dont want to get hit.

Conversely, want revenge on those lazy lurm boats?

Buy a Locust E, S, or 1V. Hang with the team until mid match. Sneak to the enemy backfield where the bad LuRMers are and backstab them to death. Listen to them bemoan their team for not 'supporting' them. Be sure to run if a friend of theirs shows up, you dont want a fair fight.

Hope this makes sense. But in a nutshell: if its early to mid match and you are getting bombed with nowhere to run, you put yourself in a bad spot to begin with. ECM/AMS/radar Derp wont help all that much.

Anyone who says to use AMS has no concept. I never use AMS, rarely get LRM'd to death, and am only a half decent pilot. If i do get LRM'd to death i know i made a positioning error. Its really that simple. you just have to pay attention to positioning.

#63 Carbon Guardian

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 43 posts
  • LocationVancouver Area

Posted 12 November 2017 - 02:16 AM

and teach all players how to look for UAV's and scout mechs when getting lrm'd, this unfortunately is a veteran problem to the game not limited to new players. Match after match I hear "it's the map", "there's a UAV above us!" but no one will shoot it down smh

#64 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:35 PM

hahaha thats coz veterans mostly run torso weapons that cant reach UAV's when close.

And the news guys with arm mounted weapons dont know what a UAV is.

Perfect storm. Are UAV's in tutorial? Been a while since I done it.

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 13 November 2017 - 11:36 PM.

#65 Mighty Spike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,589 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHoly Beer City of Munich

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:18 AM

When you explore Academy, go in the Combat zone. The KI mechs there are launching UAVs and spam you with enough Lurms to traine how to use terrain. The Combat zone is a good thing, even for veterans it´s not easy. Mostly getting killed when moving back to r&r

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users