Wrong Forum To Ask Q's About Mwo, But Here Goes

33 replies to this topic

#1 WazOfOz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 177 posts
  • Locationnot the arse hole of the world, but I can see it from here

Posted 23 February 2016 - 12:38 AM

Twitter, apparently is the right place to ask questions about MWO, but I'll be bugga'ed before I'll make Twitter account.

my question is "knock down" are we ever gunna get it back into the game or not ? hello, hello is there anybody out there from PGI ? Tina ? Russ ? Paul ? even the tea lady will do.

Oh and those that choose to flame my question, can stick there heads into where the sun don't shine. my question is not aimed at you.

#2 Dirk Le Daring

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 February 2016 - 12:57 AM

We do need knockdown, or proper damage models for lights.

Seriously, how the hell can a light hug the legs of a much heavier mech with impunity, totally crappy mechanic.

PGI, get your **** together and re-implement knockdown or do something to dynamically adjust collision damage.

I am not bitching about lights, but the fact that they can hug an assaults legs and suffer no consequences is outright stupidity.

Consider a mech that cannot even see that low, did you even do that, or did the NGNG crew tell you it was 'not a problem, don't worry about it' ? Like Phil said about being able to customise paintjobs on clan invasion (I) mechs, yes, I remember that statement. It was total crap.

The game is going in the right direction, but this is a major flaw.

For you flamers, no I am not butthurt, just bewildered that such a mechanic that is needed is ignored.

Maybe you could make knockdown / collision damage proportional, you know, like medium crashing into a heavy equals damage, medium crashing into an assault equals medium falling down ?

How hard can it be ????

#3 Digital Pseudonym

• PipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 76 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 12:58 AM

gentle bump....opps knocked you down...sorry

#4 Sergeant Random

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 462 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:10 AM

Rubberbanding and teleporting happen because we can't have a perfect network with player-users using high spec hardware. That seems to be the nature of the problem. The absence of knockdowns is a compromise solution.

#5 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:15 AM

View PostSergeant Random, on 23 February 2016 - 01:10 AM, said:

Rubberbanding and teleporting happen because we can't have a perfect network with player-users using high spec hardware. That seems to be the nature of the problem. The absence of knockdowns is a compromise solution.

Basically this. We're probably never going to get knockdown back, at least not until we get to a point where there's never client-server disagreements about where players are. HSR fixes shots, but imagine being knocked down because you walked near BUT DIDNT HIT another mech? Except, according to the server, you did. Oops.

So, yeah, just assume it's never gonna happen.

#6 YakkSlapper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 175 posts
  • Locationoregon city

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:16 AM

Ask the "light' that was stupid enough to try to hug my extremely slow (40 something kph) battlemasters legs (or was it thunderbolts?), my arm mount ac 5 KILLED his ***, just 'aim'allthe way down till you cant see targeting cursor, and fire, any idiot can guesstimate the speed its moving around you as its not compleatly hidden under you all the time, know your weapon, know its shots speed and fire whare you THINK (with good guess) and fire BLAMO dead light (was a locust)

or the one that was 11-11 score, my atlas with ONLY its gauss left, guess who died? (hint, wasnt me) was long back on tourmaline map, you only need a split second to see it even slightly, adjust your movement/twist and for fks sake DONT try n follow it, youll lose that circle, change direction and turn opposite way round to meet it, 12-11 win and everyone watching before kill said "well gg its over no way atlas gonna live' and other such crap, guess once again i was right and everyone else was WRONG.
and yes i DO want a cookie (inb4 torll)

yes BTW, I DO 'hero worship' ZatoIchi, you CAN hit what you cant see if you know how things move/preform, not always but hell one kill in 20 is better then 'gg' when its just down to the last 2 ppl still playing and a light is 'under' you learn to shoot whare something might be/be going, not just dead on, sheesh

Edited by YakkSlapper, 23 February 2016 - 01:19 AM.

#7 Sergeant Random

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 462 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:25 AM

View PostSergeant Random, on 23 February 2016 - 01:10 AM, said:

View PostWintersdark, on 23 February 2016 - 01:15 AM, said:

Basically this. We're probably never going to get knockdown back, at least not until we get to a point where there's never client-server disagreements about where players are. HSR fixes shots, but imagine being knocked down because you walked near BUT DIDNT HIT another mech? Except, according to the server, you did. Oops.

So, yeah, just assume it's never gonna happen.

Collision damage, however, is already implemented -- question is, how much do we want, how much will we tolerate?

#8 WazOfOz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 177 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 02:04 AM

digital- how about light-medium - heavy mechs being a little more situationally aware and stop through their through their larger brothers rather than around. reducing the assaults speed with little consequence to itself, its difficult enough to keep up with the heard in an assault as it is.

Random- its in TT, MW2,3 &4 and worked just fine if people choose not to be situationally aware or refuse to be, let them suffer some sort of consequence for their action. rather than loosing a little bit of paint. ever seen what happens when a jeep ploughs into a tank ?

#9 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 23 February 2016 - 02:35 AM

I would be okay with some real collision damage, but knockdowns are ****.

#10 WazOfOz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 177 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 03:14 AM

Pjwned - sure down grade knock down to some reasonable amount of damage, that will hopefully bring about some situational awareness. hopefully, just thought I would say it again hopefully.

and yes it is a video game, a long, long way from real life.... but that being said, why bother introducing physics that attempts to emulate real life physics in the first place ?....... how about we just go back to early Mario Bothers physics then ? or lack of.

Edited by WazOfOz, 23 February 2016 - 03:20 AM.

#11 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 23 February 2016 - 03:59 AM

Just doing damage is just as bad.

As per my post above: latency and server-client disagreement as to mech location isn't a problem for shooting, because of HSR, but movement? You want to be taking collision damage in your light for skating close to, but not in to a friendly assault? Because, oops, the server thinks that assault is a meter closer to you than what you see.

Or, leaving technical issues aside: In almost every single freaking match i play, a random heavy will simply walk into me.

I do NOT want to be taking a lot of damage from friendly mechs bumping into me.

And seriously, if my armor can withstand weapons fire, it can withstand a Timberwolf ineptly bumping me.

I get that you folks find it offensive that little bitty lights tear around your assaults being all hard to hit, but collisions/knockdown/damage from that doesn't lead to fun gameplay - particularly not with the vast bulk of pilots about these days. It's going to cause you a lot more hard to be taking damage from collisions than that ever did.

Edited by Wintersdark, 23 February 2016 - 04:01 AM.

#12 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 23 February 2016 - 04:05 AM

They should start by doing knockdowns like in MW4. If you take x amounts of burst damage from projectiles, your mech falls down. You get blasted by 2xLBX20 in the face at short range? Your mech falls down. Your light mech gets gaussed in the leg in mid-air? Your mech falls down.

Then implement more damage from collisions, preferably to multiple components instead of just legs every time.

Finally, experiment with knockdowns from collisions on public test servers. It's been 4 years since they tried it. With some proper balancing, it would be a lot of fun to see it again. Obviously nobody wants mechs to fall down every time someone rubs against their leg.

#13 Steinar Bergstol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 February 2016 - 04:25 AM

If we can't have knockdown or collision damage then at least give me the ability to punt the little crotch-huggers when they glomp onto my leg like an overly excited puppy.

#14 DrxAbstract

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 23 February 2016 - 04:48 AM

View PostDirk Le Daring, on 23 February 2016 - 12:57 AM, said:

We do need knockdown, or proper damage models for lights.

Seriously, how the hell can a light hug the legs of a much heavier mech with impunity, totally crappy mechanic.

PGI, get your **** together and re-implement knockdown or do something to dynamically adjust collision damage.

I am not bitching about lights, but the fact that they can hug an assaults legs and suffer no consequences is outright stupidity.

Consider a mech that cannot even see that low, did you even do that, or did the NGNG crew tell you it was 'not a problem, don't worry about it' ? Like Phil said about being able to customise paintjobs on clan invasion (I) mechs, yes, I remember that statement. It was total crap.

The game is going in the right direction, but this is a major flaw.

For you flamers, no I am not butthurt, just bewildered that such a mechanic that is needed is ignored.

Maybe you could make knockdown / collision damage proportional, you know, like medium crashing into a heavy equals damage, medium crashing into an assault equals medium falling down ?

How hard can it be ????

You know...

Knockdowns go both ways. People that get all nostalgic about 'the good ol knockdown days' when it comes to Lights humping their legs but conveniently forget it was entirely possible for a Jenner to put an Atlas on its a** back then so is that really something you would like - To have a 3-4 fleet of Lights flying through the air with their d**ks aimed right at your assault's face and sending it into the dirt as their team pushes? Because it happened "back in the day" and it will certainly start happening again.

#15 WazOfOz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 177 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:00 AM

winter - I'm not so much I'm worried about an enemy light - medium getting behind and ****** me in an assault, I expect the enemy to use every thing within its arsenal to destroy me and my team, including exploits, if available.

what irks me,is the more mobile friendly's that choose to run through my mech rather than around, use me as a meat shield leaving no way to reverse, blocking ramps, exits & entrance ways etc.

what I seek is for people (friendly. more so than the enemy) to be more coherent,more situationally aware, even if that lesson must be learnt the hard way.

#16 Doman Hugin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 197 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:05 AM

Yup, I remember when we had knockdowns, I also remember with chagrine when it was canceled.

It didn't take long for people to start running around like jerks blocking mech's that out massed them 50-75 tonnes, bouncing off enemy and freindly mech's because there was no consequence any more, you could now rubberband through mech's in tight spaces and everyone forgot how to safely drive a mech.

That's still what we have.

Am I right in thinking that when Colisions got removed, we were told it was just going to be for a couple of months?

#17 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:26 AM

I remember the days of Dragon Bowling... I think Russ does too. I agree we need it back, but with better mechanics.

#18 Lugh

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 06:15 AM

View PostPjwned, on 23 February 2016 - 02:35 AM, said:

I would be okay with some real collision damage, but knockdowns are ****.

Knockdowns are the bees knees. The pilots that suffer from them are terribad and should be shot while standing up.

View Postcdlord, on 23 February 2016 - 05:26 AM, said:

I remember the days of Dragon Bowling... I think Russ does too. I agree we need it back, but with better mechanics.

Sadly I think poor Paul is still a little butthurt over what Kong did to him over the course of 10+ minutes of a match (they killed his whole team and then just chain knocked him down).

This despite the fact that Paul got at least one kill while they were doing this had knockdowns disappear in the next patch.

#19 Almond Brown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:49 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 23 February 2016 - 04:05 AM, said:

They should start by doing knockdowns like in MW4. If you take x amounts of burst damage from projectiles, your mech falls down. You get blasted by 2xLBX20 in the face at short range? Your mech falls down. Your light mech gets gaussed in the leg in mid-air? Your mech falls down.

Then implement more damage from collisions, preferably to multiple components instead of just legs every time.

Finally, experiment with knockdowns from collisions on public test servers. It's been 4 years since they tried it. With some proper balancing, it would be a lot of fun to see it again. Obviously nobody wants Mechs to fall down every time someone rubs against their leg.

I like it. When the I.S. get LB-20-X AC cannons to mount, I say we go for it... Oh and for further shits and giggles, you have exactly 3.99s to get back up and run off before AW's 2 x LB-20-X AC cannons officially kills you after you go down, but aren't quite dead yet btw. LOL! Blooming Brilliant... Posted Image

Edited by Almond Brown, 23 February 2016 - 08:51 AM.

#20 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:55 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 23 February 2016 - 04:05 AM, said:

Finally, experiment with knockdowns from collisions on public test servers. It's been 4 years since they tried it. With some proper balancing, it would be a lot of fun to see it again. Obviously nobody wants mechs to fall down every time someone rubs against their leg.

Here's what I don't get.

Why is it, this seems to be the only game in the 21st century that can't seem to handle physics very well, especially when it comes to collisions.

View PostLugh, on 23 February 2016 - 06:15 AM, said:

Sadly I think poor Paul is still a little butthurt over what Kong did to him over the course of 10+ minutes of a match (they killed his whole team and then just chain knocked him down).

This despite the fact that Paul got at least one kill while they were doing this had knockdowns disappear in the next patch.

and anyone that was here for it knows.

This is the actual reason collisions went away. Paul got publicly embarrassed by Kong over the issue and they were immediately removed.
Not fixed
Not worked on
They were just removed, that same day IIRC

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users