44 replies to this topic

#1 4rcs1ne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 474 posts
  • LocationKnoxville,TN

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:49 AM

I'm getting sick and tired of greedy lights (And sometimes mediums) destroying my ability to back up often causing me take a lot more damage than normal. I've even died because of this sort of crap.

So, here's a suggestion:

If an assault or heavy is trying to back up and a light is blocking, the light's leg armor will rip off and serious internal damage will ensue. If the light does it again, the leg will blow off.

You might say that this penalty is harsh. Welp, it's supposed to be harsh. You're job as a light is to scout and harass, not get in other people's way (Specifically assaults and heavies).

Let me know what you think of this suggestion. Also, feel free to add any other suggestions or improvements to this one. :)

Thanks,
Matthew

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:36 AM

The AssaultWarrior Syndrome™ is strong with this one...

How about when a heavy or assault cockblocks a teammate, do they get any penalty? Don't try to pretend that this is a light-only thing.

#3 Darian DelFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:39 AM

View PostMatt2496, on 24 February 2016 - 08:49 AM, said:

I'm getting sick and tired of greedy lights (And sometimes mediums) destroying my ability to back up often causing me take a lot more damage than normal. I've even died because of this sort of crap.

So, here's a suggestion:

If an assault or heavy is trying to back up and a light is blocking, the light's leg armor will rip off and serious internal damage will ensue. If the light does it again, the leg will blow off.

You might say that this penalty is harsh. Welp, it's supposed to be harsh. You're job as a light is to scout and harass, not get in other people's way (Specifically assaults and heavies).

Let me know what you think of this suggestion. Also, feel free to add any other suggestions or improvements to this one. Posted Image

Thanks,
Matthew

Or when a light is at a corner doing his thing and then an assault comes in front of him realizes OH ****!!!! and tries to back up knowing full well the light is there and probably won't move because the assault was a dumb ***.

Cut in front of me, good luck backing up, I won't move.

View PostMatt2496, on 24 February 2016 - 08:49 AM, said:

You're job as a light is to scout and harass, not get in other people's way (Specifically assaults and heavies).

Show us on the paper doll where the light mech touched you

Its funny, I usually out damage most assaults in my Jenner. Whose job is what again?

#4 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:41 AM

View PostDarian DelFord, on 24 February 2016 - 09:39 AM, said:

Show us on the paper doll where the light mech touched you

Posted Image

#5 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:52 AM

Here's my guide on how to not be ignorant about MWO:
  • Play both Inner Sphere and Clans
  • Play all 4 weight classes regularly
  • Play different types of builds and roles
If you're not doing this, you should admit to yourself that you're probably more biased than most MWO players who do. You may have silly views, such as saying that the job for all light mechs is to scout and harass, regardless of what light mech they're playing or what build they have.

View PostDarian DelFord, on 24 February 2016 - 09:39 AM, said:

Its funny, I usually out damage most assaults in my Jenner. Whose job is what again?

You're doing it wrong, bruh. You're supposed to stand on mountain tops and scout, waiting for the assaults to call upon you if they come under attack. You're not the hero of the show, they are.

Edited by Alistair Winter, 24 February 2016 - 09:51 AM.

#6 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:58 AM

View PostFupDup, on 24 February 2016 - 09:36 AM, said:

How about when a heavy or assault cockblocks a teammate, do they get any penalty? Don't try to pretend that this is a light-only thing.

Yeah, if an assault Mech blocks a medium or a heavy from backing up because he wants to "Push like he's supposed to" into a trap, then the Assault gets flipped on its back and has to skill-check roll to stand back up again...

*facepalm*

Edited by Prosperity Park, 24 February 2016 - 09:59 AM.

#7 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:59 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 24 February 2016 - 09:52 AM, said:

You're doing it wrong, bruh. You're supposed to stand on mountain tops and scout, waiting for the assaults to call upon you if they come under attack. You're not the hero of the show, they are.

If you don't have TAG or Narc, and BAP... you're a terrible light pilot. You should also have Adv Sensors and Adv Target Decay to support your team. You should also own a copy of both modules for every light mech that you pilot and they should always be installed.

#8 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 10:02 AM

Yeah, lights that get 5 kills and deal 800 damage are terrible players if you are not using TAG and spotting for your LRM Assaults.

Get with the program, people!

#9 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 24 February 2016 - 10:09 AM

How about we just ask them to move and if they don't just shoot them with a small or medium lasers once or twice, they usually get the point then ;)

#10 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 24 February 2016 - 10:11 AM

View PostTarogato, on 24 February 2016 - 09:59 AM, said:

If you don't have TAG or Narc, and BAP... you're a terrible light pilot. You should also have Adv Sensors and Adv Target Decay to support your team. You should also own a copy of both modules for every light mech that you pilot and they should always be installed.

I actually once saw a guy in the solo queue who ran straight towards the enemy in a TAG Raven, tagging wildly around him before he was gunned down and smashed two minutes into the fight. The whole team was like "..."

Then he gets on team chat and says "****, they got me. Oh well, at least I managed to TAG the whole team before I died." And he disconnected.

Best damn light mech pilot I ever saw.

#11 Idealsuspect

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 10:13 AM

View PostFupDup, on 24 February 2016 - 09:36 AM, said:

The penalty should be to nascar more and let them behind more and moaar :)

#12 KodiakGW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 24 February 2016 - 10:16 AM

Bring back knock down and things will change. I'll take a Dragon every solo PUG game. Chicken players will learn quickly not to use me as their meat shield when they are trying to get back up while THEY are being focus fired.

OP has probably seen what I do. Poking in and out of one of 20 viable firing lanes, when someone else decides that it is their firing lane. When you give it up, they follow you to your next firing lane and do the same thing. There have been too many games where I have had to stop and watch a friendly mech for 15-30 seconds. They are usually hesitating on which way they are going to go next because their meat shield figured out what they were doing.

#13 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,470 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 10:18 AM

Derailing the sass train for a moment...

Matt: when people see assault 'Mechs go in, they will often tend to try and follow, as Following The Fatbros On The Push is drilled mercilessly into heads around here. While most assault drivers down here in Puglandia will back their derpy selves up if they see two Spiders with machine guns on the other side of the hill because they spent a lot of money on all that fancy-painted armor…the rest of us are looking to exploit the breaches that assault ‘Mechs can punch in enemy formations.

Watching your fratbros pouring on the reverse after sacrificing a bunch of armor for what amounts to no gain at all is as frustrating as…not being able to back up because someone was following close behind you to support what they were hoping was a push forward.

Gotta go both ways, man.

#14 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 10:28 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 24 February 2016 - 10:11 AM, said:

I actually once saw a guy in the solo queue who ran straight towards the enemy in a TAG Raven, tagging wildly around him before he was gunned down and smashed two minutes into the fight. The whole team was like "..."

Then he gets on team chat and says "****, they got me. Oh well, at least I managed to TAG the whole team before I died." And he disconnected.

Best damn light mech pilot I ever saw.

Meanwhile his team's all like:
Posted Image

#15 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 24 February 2016 - 10:41 AM

View Post1453 R, on 24 February 2016 - 10:18 AM, said:

Derailing the sass train for a moment...

Matt: when people see assault 'Mechs go in, they will often tend to try and follow, as Following The Fatbros On The Push is drilled mercilessly into heads around here. While most assault drivers down here in Puglandia will back their derpy selves up if they see two Spiders with machine guns on the other side of the hill because they spent a lot of money on all that fancy-painted armor…the rest of us are looking to exploit the breaches that assault ‘Mechs can punch in enemy formations.

Watching your fratbros pouring on the reverse after sacrificing a bunch of armor for what amounts to no gain at all is as frustrating as…not being able to back up because someone was following close behind you to support what they were hoping was a push forward.

Gotta go both ways, man.

^^

One thing I always tell my assaults and heavies if I'm drop leading, "Do not stop until you are ready to set up firing lines because as soon as you big guys stop, that's where the rest of the team is going to set up"

I can't count the number of times I'm moving in behind a teammate and we've got a clump of 5+ mechs moving forward and all of a sudden that 100 ton assault mech pilot hits the brakes and goes full reverse because they got raked with a medium laser or two at 600 meters.

#16 Jack Booted Thug

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 549 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 24 February 2016 - 10:51 AM

View PostIdealsuspect, on 24 February 2016 - 10:13 AM, said:

The penalty should be to nascar more and let them behind more and moaar Posted Image

Listen to this guy ^^^^. He is a pro, always has 3 mechs left in CW at the end of the match. Always last to die in solo que, if he dies even on a loss... usually just hides until time runs out.

#17 Lugh

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 11:02 AM

Knockdowns solve all this.

Lights will stay away from dogpiling on teammates as they are the most likely to be knocked down.
Mediums same deal
Heavies same deal
Assaults meh if you are getting knocked down by a 69kph assault you are doing it wrong.

Further this is solved by training yourselves to not play peek and poke warrior online.

I am always saddened to see a deathball end up formed because of people backing away from the tiniest amount of return fire. That ball shrinks in on itself with only a few brave souls attempting to hold the line until its all over.

The least aggressive team mostly loses.

You might spend some time studying armored warfare treatises written in the second world war to learn the value of armored mobility.

Knockdowns for life. Knockdowns for victory. Knockdowns for Peace.

#18 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 24 February 2016 - 11:05 AM

Only time this is an issue is when a push is called and the assault either don't move or move up and then stop and backpedal.

If you're an assault and a push is called, recognize the pivotal role your assault mech plays in that push and get your fat arse moving! :)

Not saying this is your problem, but this is my experience.

#19 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 11:07 AM

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

and the lol of the day goes to: Matt2496!
Posted Image

Just think about this ridiculous idea, you want to shoot a teammate into the leg if he blocks you, be it in the back or in front. And you want to shoot him automatically, a specific component. And a shot that always hits, costs no ammo nor heat. And you don't want to get team damage for it.

And all this only because you can't position yourself right, blocking the rest of the team.

Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by 627, 24 February 2016 - 11:07 AM.

#20 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 11:09 AM

Assault mechs should be able to step on light mechs and crush them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users