• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 February 2016 - 12:26 AM

View PostOzealot, on 25 February 2016 - 09:17 PM, said:

Wat?

I assume PP means pinpoint? Care to elaborate how you achieve this 94 pinpoint alpha? Enlighten me. Please.

Pinpoint in MWO means that all damage can be applied without any spread, pinpoint accuracy.

FLD is when damage is applied in one wallop to a section.

My build is the one designed by Vassago, 2 Gauss + 2xERLLs + 6x ERMLs

That's why my build is PP, not PP FLD.

only 30+ of that damage is PP FLD.

#22 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 February 2016 - 12:36 AM

View PostFox With A Shotgun, on 25 February 2016 - 05:35 PM, said:

DWF-W
Fixed that for you. Now its even more broken :P

#23 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 26 February 2016 - 01:35 AM

I like how this turned into who can build a slightly less worse DWF..

#24 Chocowolf Sradac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 306 posts
  • LocationStar Colonel, Clan Wolf, 4th Wolf guard, Alpha Galaxy

Posted 08 March 2016 - 08:23 PM

View PostBoogie138, on 26 February 2016 - 01:35 AM, said:

I like how this turned into who can build a slightly less worse DWF..

True but if you thought max ppcs were bad go All Flamers and 2 guass because left over tonnage!!!

Edited by Chocowolf, 08 March 2016 - 08:23 PM.

#25 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 08 March 2016 - 08:50 PM

View PostNightshade24, on 25 February 2016 - 11:27 AM, said:

Let's cover the first base first. a "Deathstar" in the MW: O slang is a mech (typically assault) with 6+ PPC's which was first popular on the stalker before ghost heat was added (penalty heat for firing more than x weapons)

A direstar is a give all or nothing approach with a direwolf having 10-14 Clan ER PPC's... it often 1 shot kills any enemy with a well placed shot HOWEVER the heat penalty forces you to power down and take internal damage. This means you got 4 alpha strikes (firing all weapons at once) before you are well... a toaster on fire in the pits or Mordor after global warming in the middle of summer in a lava lake.

It's more or less a troll build and not practical

a few things to comment on
1. It does not necesarily have to be PPCs, I own a 14 MPL Direstar and that thing is absolutely horriffic if it gets in range, and is actually halfway usable if you don´t alpha all the time. 15 erll is also possible, and AFAIK currently the "second highest" alpha in the game with 165 pts up to 750M,It´s actually the same as the highest, but has a slightly lower range.. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...dee8e1bdc3eb754

2. Not even a dire wolf completely stripped of armor can mount more than 11 PPCs, becasue you need at least 1 S side torso to get more tha 9 on (assumoing you´re using a B or W CT, otherwise the limit is 8 with 2 DW-Prime arms), and that S side torso forces you to take a jumpjet. you get 1.5 tons of armor with that setup. But it has the highest alpha in teh game currently with 165 pts. @810m http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d4eba36e5ef4159

Yes, you can get a hint more by adding 1-2 MGs or a missile rack, but for ex. Fox with a Shotgun´s "broke the damage scale" build cannot be done. you may be able to build it, physically, but the game has a weapons hardcap at 16 weapons and won´t let you drop with more, no matter how many hardpoints you have

3. AFAIK a 6ppc stalker was always a 6ppc stalker, I cannot remember ever hearing the term "deathstar" applied to that mech in the last 5 years.... but Swaybacks (9ML hunchback-p) were sometimnes referred to as such during Open Beta... And of course there´s teh BattleStars...

View PostInfinite Freedom, on 25 February 2016 - 11:30 AM, said:

Understood and thank you. I'm probably not going to run it then if it shuts you down after every shot.

For the record, they force you to shut down after every ALPHA STRIKE, not every shot... major difference... with some fire discipline you can put out quite a bit of damage before you start wrecking people´s day with alphas Posted ImagePosted Image

View PostSister RAbbi, on 25 February 2016 - 08:02 PM, said:

Now, a certain combination of omnipods makes the Dire Wolf the king of the stars! (Though I suspect the Kodiak will have its version, perhaps the NorthStar or something, that will roll 9x ERPPC.

Kodiaks are not Omnimechs, we already know exactly wht the hardpoints will be. A kdk 5 can theoretically mount 11 (though only 9 if we´re talking PPCs or LPL, because while it has 5 hardpoints /arm and 1 ct, it also has lower arm and hand actuators that Omnimechs lose when PPCs or ACs are equipped taking up 2 crit slots /arm). A Kdk- 1 can also mount 9 (4 HP /arm and 1 ct)

View PostChocowolf, on 08 March 2016 - 08:23 PM, said:

True but if you thought max ppcs were bad go All Flamers and 2 guass because left over tonnage!!!

Or 14 ML+ 2UAC10, muahahaha

Edited by Zerberus, 08 March 2016 - 09:27 PM.

#26 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 08 March 2016 - 10:57 PM

Yup. I'm fully aware, as I was at that time, that the KDK is NOT an omnimech chassis. Never stated or implied otherwise.

And yeah, I get the limitations. I read the layouts before committing to buying the thing. JUST like you pointed out (and I was, oddly, VERY specific about this), the KDK will be limited to NINE PPCs. Sorry if I didn't spell it out, that having a lower arm and hand actuator left 8 critical slots per arm, 2 of which are taken up by each CERPPC, meaning a max of FOUR per arm.

Still number two in the _______Star competition, sure. The naming convention is more what I was after with that comment; that each version has been a [something]Star. There was DeathStar, BattleStar, DireStar.

So, I'm calling it. 9x cERPPC KDK will be the NorthStar. Aka- Polaris. Aka- bad idea, but funny A. F.

#27 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:45 AM

View PostZerberus, on 08 March 2016 - 08:50 PM, said:

a few things to comment on
1. It does not necesarily have to be PPCs, I own a 14 MPL Direstar and that thing is absolutely horriffic if it gets in range, and is actually halfway usable if you don´t alpha all the time. 15 erll is also possible, and AFAIK currently the "second highest" alpha in the game with 165 pts up to 750M,It´s actually the same as the highest, but has a slightly lower range.. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...dee8e1bdc3eb754

2. Not even a dire wolf completely stripped of armor can mount more than 11 PPCs, becasue you need at least 1 S side torso to get more tha 9 on (assumoing you´re using a B or W CT, otherwise the limit is 8 with 2 DW-Prime arms), and that S side torso forces you to take a jumpjet. you get 1.5 tons of armor with that setup. But it has the highest alpha in teh game currently with 165 pts. @810m http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d4eba36e5ef4159

Yes, you can get a hint more by adding 1-2 MGs or a missile rack, but for ex. Fox with a Shotgun´s "broke the damage scale" build cannot be done. you may be able to build it, physically, but the game has a weapons hardcap at 16 weapons and won´t let you drop with more, no matter how many hardpoints you have

3. AFAIK a 6ppc stalker was always a 6ppc stalker, I cannot remember ever hearing the term "deathstar" applied to that mech in the last 5 years.... but Swaybacks (9ML hunchback-p) were sometimnes referred to as such during Open Beta... And of course there´s teh BattleStars...

1) Ever sense the Stalkers the term 'deathstar' specifically means PPC's en masse due to the visual effects mirroring partly the deathstars "you're dead now" cycle, slightly. However end resault being about the same. Deathstars before this were considered anything of an extreme boating, Such as a 4 large pulse laser Atlas. 6 LRM 10 catapult, etc. However half the times a more catchy name is applied (6 SRM 6 catapult = splat cat. 2 Gauss [extreme back before the age of jagermech] catapult= Gaussapult, etc...

Deathstar ended up as the catchy name for PPC boating en masse and it stuck ever sense. All future PPC spammage builds are reffered to as a deathstar or a variation of the name (ie Direstar).
I would give you links of pages about death stars but sadly the name was popularised at the end of it's terror, People looking for more effecient 6 large laser stalkers and stuff reffered to them as the "Counter/improved deathstar" or stating it was inspired from one. However not really any post about a PPC stalker as a deathstar is common on reddit/ forums in those days. However it is mentioned in a TheB33F video and is called out specifically in one of MacksCorner videos. [I miss this guy... it was the only MW: O player I enjoyed watching on youtube...].

However not every sub community in MW: O got updated with the idea that a death star is a PPC boat and this is prevalent in some of the language sub forums in MW: O that hasn't really updated or cared to update.
To a degree it's hard to lable and say this in MW: O means 100% this... because many people for eg use the term ridge peaker no matter if it was horizontal or vertically done... or the term poptarter apparently not applying to mechs using missiles or lasers.
To me a non PPC mech is not a deathstar/ direstar. However something temms me the Krakens arival may bring in the idea of a 'deathstar' with a 6-8 UAC 5 build or UAC 5 UAC 2 mixed build or what have you... If this is ever added... maybe "dakkagedon" could fill the name instead.

2) My bad... quantities was mixed up with the ER large laser spaming direwolf which can do much more than 10. Sorry.

3) Swaybacks was a term for the hunchback-P as it is a 'canon' nick name to it. the Hunchback IIC 2 (energy boat) was also dubbed a swayback but more specifically a "Swayback IIC". This differs to the Death Star as this is not a battletech name or theme. However it is evident in culture.
I do believe this if the first time it was refferenced as a deathstar, 2nd post.
http://mwomercs.com/...re-overpowered/
which also sums up how the deathstar got it's name... due to deathstar levels of destructive power.

#28 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 09 March 2016 - 03:35 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 25 February 2016 - 11:27 AM, said:

Let's cover the first base first. a "Deathstar" in the MW: O slang is a mech (typically assault) with 6+ PPC's which was first popular on the stalker before ghost heat was added (penalty heat for firing more than x weapons)

A direstar is a give all or nothing approach with a direwolf having 10-14 Clan ER PPC's... it often 1 shot kills any enemy with a well placed shot HOWEVER the heat penalty forces you to power down and take internal damage. This means you got 4 alpha strikes (firing all weapons at once) before you are well... a toaster on fire in the pits or Mordor after global warming in the middle of summer in a lava lake.

It's more or less a troll build and not practical

And even that 6 ppc stalker wasn't tenable. Even before ghost heat, the thing would shut down on one alpha, you just didn't take internal damage for it in those days. Like the Direstar, it was a pure lol/trollbuild.

#29 Kyynele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 973 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 04:42 AM

View PostDawnstealer, on 09 March 2016 - 03:35 AM, said:

And even that 6 ppc stalker wasn't tenable. Even before ghost heat, the thing would shut down on one alpha, you just didn't take internal damage for it in those days. Like the Direstar, it was a pure lol/trollbuild.

Actually, before the sep 3 2013 patch, PPC heat was 9 points, and I'm pretty sure you could build a Stalker with high enough heat cap to fire all 6 without shutting down. Of course, 6 PPCs forced you to so many compromises that it wasn't really a competitive build, but it was far more viable (and actually even punishingly good against passive teams) than the current joke Direstars.

Anyway, talking about troll builds in the new player help section seems pretty irresponsible. Troll builds are generally ineffective, lead to bad kill and win ratios, and typically require high level of skill to be even minimally viable. Ie, if you use 80-100 tons of your team's mass to get one shot, and can't shoot well enough to get a kill with it, it's pretty much your fault if your team loses.

#30 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 09 March 2016 - 05:19 AM

While the Direstar and several other Builds just do not work because using them is at least trolling or more like suiciding, there are builds out there with ridiculously high and concentrated Alphas that actually work pretty well and easy.

The pulse Knight: A Black Knight with 3LPLas and 5 med pulse lasers. Thats a 63 Alpha.
Sure its not the hillarious 165 Alpha of the direstar but you won't shut down or die from it and you will be able to fire two of them before going into red heat Level --> 126 damage with just two pulls of the Trigger.

#31 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 09 March 2016 - 05:21 AM

View PostKyynele, on 09 March 2016 - 04:42 AM, said:

Anyway, talking about troll builds in the new player help section seems pretty irresponsible. Troll builds are generally ineffective, lead to bad kill and win ratios, and typically require high level of skill to be even minimally viable. Ie, if you use 80-100 tons of your team's mass to get one shot, and can't shoot well enough to get a kill with it, it's pretty much your fault if your team loses.

On the other hand, When a new player themself asks for info specifically about a trollbuild, you can either discuss it with them /educate them, or you blow him off and basically say "Ask that question when you know more"... this thread is the former, as teh latter is kind of a **** move. Posted Image

Edited by Zerberus, 09 March 2016 - 05:22 AM.

#32 Kyynele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 973 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 06:18 AM

View PostZerberus, on 09 March 2016 - 05:21 AM, said:

On the other hand, When a new player themself asks for info specifically about a trollbuild, you can either discuss it with them /educate them, or you blow him off and basically say "Ask that question when you know more"... this thread is the former, as teh latter is kind of a **** move. Posted Image

Yeah, I was more pointing towards the (albeit interesting) discussion that moved on to various kinds of trollbuilds AFTER the OP got the answers he wanted for his question.

#33 Rascula

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWord of Blake Protectorate, Epsilon Eridani.

Posted 09 March 2016 - 07:23 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 09 March 2016 - 01:45 AM, said:

is called out specifically in one of MacksCorner videos. [I miss this guy... it was the only MW: O player I enjoyed watching on youtube...].

I know right! I still watch his video's from time to time, no-one else comes close to Macks sense of humour...

#34 Zephonarch II

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 328 posts
  • LocationBack in the MWO and... its fun, but Nascar steamrolls still lame.

Posted 09 March 2016 - 08:02 AM

View PostRascula, on 09 March 2016 - 07:23 AM, said:

I know right! I still watch his video's from time to time, no-one else comes close to Macks sense of humour...

Yeah, his viewers sometimes ask him to come back to MechWarrior but he's too aware of the idiocy of the community that he won't bloody dare do that anymore. Nerfs, boosts... a lot of bandaid activity has happened in this game... I don't know. I mean I wish this game had only been IS-mech based and given players mechs we've never seen....
I feel his pity at how a great game like this can slap the customer so much with all the changes they implemented. It changed a lot of times, driving people away. He got gifted a marauder... no video. Why? He'd probably say cookie-cutter builds plague this game. Whatever it is, this game is just about mech-based death-matches.

And whenever he says, "Hey guys, want to play some MechWarrior Online???" Whenever he feels like escaping in the middle of a horror game, I feel he's trolling MWO. Cause he doesn't come back. Usually in new videos when he says it, he doesn't.
I mean he inspired me with Dakka-madness in his Jagermech-DD video. He should come back with a bulky Dakka-Mauler or King Crab video seriously.

I'm sorry for derailing this thread. Yeah, B33f made this Direstar thing viral. It's insane. I wouldn't do it. But do it, if you want to laugh.

#35 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 March 2016 - 08:20 AM

BTW, I'd like to correct something about the origins of the build. First off, it's an upgrade of the Noisy Cricket. The first noisy cricket was back in beta (4 ERPPC Cicada), named so in honor of the tiny gun with the massive kick from MIB, I presume. I don't remember what the MKII was (possibly the 6 ERPPC version), but the MK III was the BLR-1G the day the phoenix mechs were released, with 7 ERPPCs, since that was the most any mech could ever mount, at the time.

Spoiler

The builds basically centered around mounting the max amount of ERPPCs on a mech, and firing them in a glorious Wave Motion Cannon-esque manner, hopefully scoring a kill, and driving your heat gauge to the max.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 09 March 2016 - 08:24 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users