• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 February 2016 - 04:34 AM

View PostSandpit, on 27 February 2016 - 02:35 AM, said:

I dunno guys, like I said, it just didn't sound like a Power Draw system and he kept being a stickler about how he and Paul have discussed the heat scale issue.

So many questions. I wish Russ would have given more information so players could troubleshoot the system.

1. If they are removing Ghost Heat, but are still balancing using heat...doesn't that make it ghost heat 2.0?

2. Will this new system take the different kinds of damage into consideration? I would much rather be hit by 3 LRM15s than by 4 LPL, even if the LPL does 1 less damage Posted Image .

#82 theta123

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 04:44 AM

As long as we dont get 4x LL PPC & LPL builds, i'm fine by it

The reason why ghost heat was added in the first place was because the stalkers dominated everything with their insane unrealistic builds

#83 happy mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 04:59 AM

View Posttheta123, on 27 February 2016 - 04:44 AM, said:

As long as we dont get 4x LL PPC & LPL builds, i'm fine by it

The reason why ghost heat was added in the first place was because the stalkers dominated everything with their insane unrealistic builds

because of high heat cap

#84 Sir Roland MXIII

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:03 AM

View PostDavers, on 27 February 2016 - 04:34 AM, said:

So many questions. I wish Russ would have given more information so players could troubleshoot the system.

1. If they are removing Ghost Heat, but are still balancing using heat...doesn't that make it ghost heat 2.0?

2. Will this new system take the different kinds of damage into consideration? I would much rather be hit by 3 LRM15s than by 4 LPL, even if the LPL does 1 less damage Posted Image .

He said it'snot finished on paper even, that means little to no coding yet. WAAAAYY too early to put details out there, especially given how doing exactly what you wish has seriously bit them really hard in the rear before.

#85 Chados

• 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:47 AM

From what he said it seems that the idea is to scale it so those blasting big alphas suffer more. He explicitly said that a 54-point alpha won't be able to be fired more than once or twice in a match and that those shooting 30-point alphas would be able to reel off more than the big-alpha mechs.

I like it if it really does do this, it will be big help for mechs like the Victor that got lost in the overall power creep.

#86 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 06:39 AM

Instead of Ghost Heat there will be Ghost Sync. Now all your weapons will magically fire at different times.

#87 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:50 AM

View PostSir Roland MXIII, on 27 February 2016 - 02:08 AM, said:

Fair point. And honestly as I began to think on that general idea, the more problematic it seemed to become. Regulating power from engine based on rating vs weight of mech, standard engine vs xl.... yeah, I really don't think that's feasible, at least not with the paradigm as set by the lore.

Power Capacity as a system might've worked if the game had been designed for it from the start, but having given it some thought I really don't see that being an option now.

ACs are self-limiting by the slots, tonnage, and ammo they require. Missiles are self-limiting by spread, ammo, and extreme range profiles (short or long). Both are also beholden to the impacts projectile velocity has on their utility.

One of the things I've seen on these forums is a disappointment that bracket builds are so crap when in lore almost everything was a bracket build. While I don't care for lore, making only the lasers, PPCs, Gauss, and other electrically intense weapons be the only ones dependent upon the power draw means you have to bring other classes of weapons to get the DPS up. In other words, you have to make a bracket build.

So, basically, what I'm saying is that ballistics and missiles need not apply toward this "power pool."

#88 LegendaryArticuno

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 664 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:53 AM

New heat system = every weapon must be chainfired.

#89 MiniFish

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:56 AM

View PostDestoroyah, on 27 February 2016 - 03:45 AM, said:

I like the concept of a Capacitor where every weapon drains energy from the capacitor with larger weapons drawing more then smaller ones. The capacitor recharges constantly and rapidly(like 3-4 secs from 0%to 100%) so chainfiring isn't really effecting the capacitor but alphas do. If you overtax the capacitor you can't fire any weapons till the capacitor reaches 50% and the greater you overtax the capacitor the slower the capacitor recharges to get to 50% reset. So the greater the alpha the greater the penalty.

also they could make the different weight classes have different sizes of capacitors so lights will also have to worry about there capacitor management and assaults would have slightly larger capacitors so they can bring more of there considerable firepower to bare as they were built for.

sounds like the energy system from the pre 4 armored core. your engine has max EN cap and EN regen. most actions would drain EN. completely burn it out and you're stuck to walking until it completely recharges again. but then armored cores cant alphastrike 3 thousand lasers at once or have 50 million different weapons loaded at the same time so, well on paper it sounds good but i'd assume people would run into EN troubles more often than heat troubles if they do implement something like this

#90 Triordinant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:01 AM

We will no longer be able to fire weapons simultaneously (chain fire will still be possible) but there will be a new Alpha Strike consumable to get around that -and since you can only bring two it'll realize Russ' "perfect" setup where you only Alpha once or twice per match. Posted Image

#91 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:06 PM

View PostMystere, on 27 February 2016 - 02:48 AM, said:

Global cool downs, yay! Posted Image

no, he never mentioned anything like that. Just the way he described it, it doesn't sound anything like what some are speculating at. It really sounded like they're delving into an actual heat scale and system based on that

View PostDavers, on 27 February 2016 - 04:34 AM, said:

not to me it doesn't. Ghost heat was a mechanic designed to curb boating (which is actually what creates these high alphas most times) and it just didn't sound like that's the route they're going. One of the concernse discussed was the difficulties in getting new players past the learning curve of complicated mechanics such as ghost heat.

I would imagine so. He was very specific to mention and discuss that they are really looking into a system that makes alphas less frequent like they were in lore. Last-ditch options in case of emergency only type situations.

#92 Idealsuspect

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:09 PM

Cool a new fail system and cool 2 more year for balance this fail system and in fine find another new one Posted Image
ggclose

View Postsycocys, on 27 February 2016 - 06:39 AM, said:

Instead of Ghost Heat there will be Ghost Sync. Now all your weapons will magically fire at different times.

I would prefer Ghost Convergence. Now all your weapons will spread like failing fireworks.

Edited by Idealsuspect, 27 February 2016 - 01:13 PM.

#93 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:16 PM

Maybe the amount of damage your Alpha does (whether it hits or not) x5 is the number of seconds that must pass before you can Alpha again? Posted Image

Maybe I should start an outlandish ghost heat replacement speculation thread...

#94 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:17 PM

View PostTriordinant, on 27 February 2016 - 01:16 PM, said:

Maybe the amount of damage your Alpha does (whether it hits or not) x5 is the number of seconds that must pass before you can Alpha again? Posted Image

Spider 5D: 3 Medium Pulse Lasers
Alpha Strike: 18 damage (3 * 6)
18 damage * 5 = 90 seconds = 1.5 minutes

Lol

Edited by FupDup, 27 February 2016 - 07:46 PM.

#95 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:20 PM

View PostFupDup, on 27 February 2016 - 01:17 PM, said:

Spider 5V: 3 Medium Pulse Lasers
Alpha Strike: 18 damage (3 * 6)
18 damage * 5 = 90 seconds = 1.5 minutes

Lol

...and it'll satisfy Russ' "standard" from last night of 1 or 2 Alphas only per match! Posted Image

#96 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:26 PM

View PostTriordinant, on 27 February 2016 - 01:16 PM, said:

maybe you should find another thread to troll with the wit and sarcasm ;)

I understand the apathy and cynicism, but there are plenty of troll threads and clickbait threads out there for you to do that in :D

Let's keep this one as constructive and on-topic as possible please :)

#97 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:31 PM

View PostSandpit, on 27 February 2016 - 01:26 PM, said:

maybe you should find another thread to troll with the wit and sarcasm Posted Image

I understand the apathy and cynicism, but there are plenty of troll threads and clickbait threads out there for you to do that in Posted Image

Let's keep this one as constructive and on-topic as possible please Posted Image

To be honest, there's a little bit of seriousness. If Russ' goal (as he stated last night) is to limit Alphas to 1 or 2 per match and do it in a way that doesn't confuse newbies, then something simple like limiting all grouped weapons to chain fire could do that with very little effort while using a mechanic that's already in the game. They could do it in a day and at $0 cost! Posted Image

EDIT: then they can add the consumable.

Edited by Triordinant, 27 February 2016 - 01:37 PM.

#98 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 02:24 PM

If they're smart, and you know how that goes, I'm betting what it will be is not a power draw mechanism but something in the way of an inverse of the TT rule where you had to make a piloting skill check when you took over 20 damage in one sitting. In other words, if you do more than X amount of heat in 1-2 seconds, you get some sort of effect that is detrimental to your engine and, as such, causes your weapon recycle to slow and the overall speed and responsiveness of your mech to decrease. I'm all for that.

#99 Signal27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 02:48 PM

View PostTrauglodyte, on 27 February 2016 - 02:24 PM, said:

If they're smart, and you know how that goes, I'm betting what it will be is not a power draw mechanism but something in the way of an inverse of the TT rule where you had to make a piloting skill check when you took over 20 damage in one sitting. In other words, if you do more than X amount of heat in 1-2 seconds, you get some sort of effect that is detrimental to your engine and, as such, causes your weapon recycle to slow and the overall speed and responsiveness of your mech to decrease. I'm all for that.

That's a neat idea. I hope something like it is what Russ had in mind when they reveal it to us. Because that really does sound like the "desperation tactic" Russ mentioned - something you do only when you've got no other option - such as being boxed into a corner. And under that system, somebody would pop around a corner, dump their alpha, then be sluggish to get back under cover and thus probably eats concentrated firepower in return.

#100 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 27 February 2016 - 03:03 PM

Well I'm pretty happy that it's being acknowledged. It sounded like it was still in the design phase though, would be nice to get some details. I'm willing to put a little faith in PGI on this one. :)

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users