189 replies to this topic

#1 stealthraccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 26 February 2016 - 09:08 PM

My first complaint is going to be how badly it will stomp all over the Vindicator.

My second, not so much complaint is that the weapons are all mounted in the arms. The Vindi is similar if not identical, and the arms soak up a good amount of damage, while leaving a LT missile hardpoint and the head laser as fall-back weapons. Please don't let this guy be an oversized Mist Lynx! The 1K variant has a CT energy mount, but who wants a flightless PXH???

Negativity out of the way, this is going to be a lot of fun, and the engine cap is going to make for a crazy mobile medium. PXH-2 with ECM is going to be a blast! I'm going to guess the PXH-3M with MASC will make the cut, and it might come with an extra AMS?

Edited by stealthraccoon, 26 February 2016 - 09:16 PM.

#2 braveheart95

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • 132 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 09:15 PM

I think the lack of quality quirks took care of the vindi prior to the phoenix hawk coming out...

#3 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 26 February 2016 - 09:53 PM

Sigh.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.

Ya know pgi, you make it damn hard for a crappy player to collect all the mechs and master them -when you keep adding mechs! Now I gotta another one to add to the list! I mean, at my rate of 45min-1hr a day of play (more on the weekends, sure), I'm lucky of I can get a set of three variants mastered in 2 weeks; one the really bad stretches it might be longer! Thus far I've managed over a hundred mechs in about a year. But if you keep adding more, how will I eve finish? Hmm? Do you think of anyone other than yourself?

Thanks a lot.

:)

#4 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts
  • LocationDown the street from the MWO server

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:01 PM

You can almost hear them gleefully cast the rod, set the bait and lure in the middle of the school of fish...

Edited by rolly, 27 February 2016 - 09:35 AM.

#5 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:16 PM

View Postrolly, on 26 February 2016 - 10:01 PM, said:

You can almost hear them gleefully cast the rod and set the bait and lure in the middle of the school of fish...

Yep. An us addicts will gladly take the bait. I have absolutely no problem with that.
I like stompy robots, especially stompy robots that remind me of a game a used to play as a kid.
So if the mechs are just bait for us fish, what keeps you playing?

#6 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts
  • LocationDown the street from the MWO server

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:37 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 26 February 2016 - 10:16 PM, said:

Yep. An us addicts will gladly take the bait. I have absolutely no problem with that.
I like stompy robots, especially stompy robots that remind me of a game a used to play as a kid.
So if the mechs are just bait for us fish, what keeps you playing?

Shiny, mechy stomp stomp.

#7 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:05 AM

View Poststealthraccoon, on 26 February 2016 - 09:08 PM, said:

My first complaint is going to be how badly it will stomp all over the Vindicator.

Ahah! Because the Vindicator is not already stomped over by, what, every other mech?

#8 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:35 AM

A 45t mini BlackKnight with Jumpjets and fewer Torso hardpoints.
Std engine siZe is 270 so max engine will be at cap or slightly below.
Due to its long legs and short Torso/Arms the low arm weapons problem will be somewhat mitigated.
Thanks to its several Variants there will be Hawks with missile and ballistic Hardpoints.So allaround a fast, mobile 3 llas wielding squishy energy boat with enough sinks to move and fire without stop.

Edited by The Basilisk, 05 June 2016 - 09:05 PM.

#9 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 27 February 2016 - 03:13 AM

I think the comparisons with Vindicator are unnecessary, as the two 'mechs have completely different battlefield roles (fire support vs. scout). Although the VND-1AA was always able to run a pseudo-PXH loadout due to the higher engine cap.

I'm super hyped about the Phoenix Hawk. No idea about how well it'll fit the meta (never cared) but I think it'll be a really fun mech to run. Jumpy, fast, light-medium humanoid, it'll have a niche all its own in MWO.

First guesstimate at a build (none of the current mechs can take this, but I checked on VND-1AA that it should work):

- Add DHS, Endo, Ferro
- Full armour except head at 16
- XL 300, add two in-engine DHS
- 6 JJ (none of that 1 JJ silliness here, a PXH must FLY)
- 2 x ERLL
- 2 x ML
- BAP (for scouting prowess; replace with ECM if available)

--> 0 slots remaining

#10 SilentScreamer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 556 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 07:50 AM

My second, not so much complaint is that the weapons are all mounted in the arms. The Vindi is similar if not identical, and the arms soak up a good amount of damage, while leaving a LT missile hardpoint and the head laser as fall-back weapons. Please don't let this guy be an oversized Mist Lynx! The 1K variant has a CT energy mount, but who wants a flightless PXH???

Not sure this will be that big an issue. I pilot the ENF-5D and ENF-5P regularly. Getting one arm knocked off happens, and since I run XLs in both it is preferable to loosing a ST. I can still play a good match missing an arm.

In contrast, my BJ-DC and BJ-1 rarely have a good match after loosing an arm. These mechs have more torso weapons than my ENF builds.

Depends greatly on build and playstyle.

#11 YourSaviorLegion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 418 posts
  • LocationSpace The Final Frontier

Posted 27 February 2016 - 08:06 AM

Welcome to Gundam Warrior Online

#12 Default Settings

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 27 February 2016 - 08:10 AM

This was my favourite mech back when I was still playing Battletech MUX - highly mobile while still carrying some serious weaponry. Especially the PXH-3K was great for circling unseen around enemies, and pop up in their back for some long-range fire while being too far away and too fast to be caught.

Now let's see how this translates to MWO!

#13 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 27 February 2016 - 08:34 AM

Negativity out of the way, this is going to be a lot of fun, and the engine cap is going to make for a crazy mobile medium. PXH-2 with ECM is going to be a blast! I'm going to guess the PXH-3M with MASC will make the cut, and it might come with an extra AMS?

Judging from the other Unseens, it'll be a rockstar. PGI's been doing really well with making balanced, pretty mechs lately. PHX isn't really my cup of tea, but I also get that these mechpacks are largely what keep PGI making this game, and I want to CW4, dammit, so I'll probably buy it, too.

Maybe.

The only two mechs left that are must-haves for me are the Hatchetman and the Assassin.

#14 jper4

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 08:40 AM

so this is official? from the town hall? I didn't see an announcement or anything on it. I need more mediums after all :)

#15 Phoenix2730

• PipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 27 posts
  • LocationBehind you.....

Posted 27 February 2016 - 08:48 AM

Finally the day has come! This is the mech I've been waiting for from the beginning, and 2 hero mechs!! Please...take my money!! $$$

#16 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:05 AM

Paul Masters, so we're getting the 3M

I'd be willing to be we'll get the PHX-2

the 1 of course...

thoughts on the fourth variant?

#17 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:12 AM

View Postjss78, on 27 February 2016 - 03:13 AM, said:

I think the comparisons with Vindicator are unnecessary, as the two 'mechs have completely different battlefield roles (fire support vs. scout). Although the VND-1AA was always able to run a pseudo-PXH loadout due to the higher engine cap.

I'm super hyped about the Phoenix Hawk. No idea about how well it'll fit the meta (never cared) but I think it'll be a really fun mech to run. Jumpy, fast, light-medium humanoid, it'll have a niche all its own in MWO.

First guesstimate at a build (none of the current mechs can take this, but I checked on VND-1AA that it should work):

- Add DHS, Endo, Ferro
- Full armour except head at 16
- XL 300, add two in-engine DHS
- 6 JJ (none of that 1 JJ silliness here, a PXH must FLY)
- 2 x ERLL
- 2 x ML
- BAP (for scouting prowess; replace with ECM if available)

--> 0 slots remaining

I posted a few builds and variants here, if you're interested: http://mwomercs.com/...-in-mwo-builds/

#18 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:26 AM

View Postjuxstapo, on 27 February 2016 - 09:05 AM, said:

Paul Masters, so we're getting the 3M

I'd be willing to be we'll get the PHX-2

the 1 of course...

thoughts on the fourth variant?

If I get Russ correctly from the Town Hall, one of the base three will have ECM. So I'd assume the base package includes at least PXH-1 and PXH-1b/PXH-2 (with ECM). The four-mech package then gets a MASC version (3S presumably).

The Paul Master's 3M will be one of the two heroes. A Shin Yodama version is the second hero.

Town Hall video is now online BTW, the PXH announcement is at 2h38min:

http://www.twitch.tv/ngngtv/v/51064428

Edited by jss78, 27 February 2016 - 09:29 AM.

#19 Ukos

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:29 AM

Really looking forward to this 'mech :)

#20 Jetfire

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:05 AM

View Postrolly, on 26 February 2016 - 10:01 PM, said:

You can almost hear them gleefully cast the rod, set the bait and lure in the middle of the school of fish...

To be fair, in that analogy I was already in the boat flopping around begging them to bait the hook already.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users