Possible New Engine For Mwo

183 replies to this topic

#21 MrMadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:45 PM

If it will be even less optimized, then current one - then I'll have to quit this game. Yeah, when I was a kid, I was playing CS with 20FPS and didn't even notice, that something was wrong. But now I used to play this game smoothly with 60-75FPS on ultra settings. I won't play with lags, sorry.

#22 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:00 PM

One would assume that lessons have been learned. One upside to engine migration is that you can take care tonavoid pitfalls you didn't know existed the first time around, and that you know in advance where the real challenges are (as opposed to where you think they'll be).

I'd sooner they go wholly new engine, but I wouldn't cry if they went to the new cryengine instead. Still, a new engine means a lot of cleanup - old havky solutions gone, things redesigned cleaner. Engine changes are a lot of work, and I'd expect a substantial lul in new content during that time, but I think it'd be worth it overall.

#23 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:06 PM

Unreal 4, Frostbite, CryEngine 4.... Anything. It's a ton of work, but if it makes the game more stable, perform better, and opens up new options for the developers while simultaneously removing several current headaches for the devs than it would be incredibly worthwhile.

#24 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:07 PM

Think about it...

LB-X ammo switching!

#25 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:13 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 26 February 2016 - 11:07 PM, said:

Think about it...

LB-X ammo switching!
Things like this. There's lots of things we can't have currently because it'd be too much work due to random limitations of the current engine. Even if we didn't get them out of the gate they could be left open as possibili5ies when porting to the new engine, so they could be added later with minimal effort.

#26 MrMadguy

• 2,209 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:14 PM

Some players, who don't understand anything about game development, assume, that engine update will magically bring some cool features. For example many players assume, that engine update will dramatically improve graphics in old games. The real truth - engine is just a tool to render art, that is created by artists. New engine won't improve graphics in outdated games, like Wow, just because almost 0 models in this game have bump/displacement maps on them and without them models will stay as flat, at they are now. Artist would have to create them first and it's too hard work to invest resources into it at this moment. Higher speeds will be allowed? Dream more. Speed limit depends on server framerate - not on game engine. Most of you don't even understand, that server side has nothing to do with CryEngine.

So I really doubt, that new engine will improve anything. But what I know for sure - is that DX11 is much less optimal in current engine and causes sudden drops of FPS and that newer versions of engine don't have DX9 support, that works smoothly.

Edited by MrMadguy, 26 February 2016 - 11:19 PM.

#27 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:17 PM

This is not uncommon in real-world application... Or at least the logic behind it.

Just at face value, moving to a engine that is easier (read: requires less work-arounds) to work with, that supports all bells and whistles both now and into the future with nominal re-licensure makes a ton of sense.

That all said, they had to have pretty much hit an impasse with Cryengine to contemplate moving to a different engine...

#28 RedDevil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 702 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:21 PM

How many of their art assets would they have to dump and redo from scratch? I can't imagine the amount of work that would have to be done if they had to redo maps, models, etc.

#29 CtrlAltWheee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 610 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:28 PM

View PostMechaBattler, on 26 February 2016 - 09:48 PM, said:

I'd be all for something that is easier for them to modify to create a more diverse game. Graphics are great and all. But I would much rather see a more dynamic battlefield.

+1 If we're talking 5 years into the future, a man can hope for elementals and other battletech fun. Would make a campaign amazing to see aerotech and tanks attacking with us.

#30 Nik Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:32 PM

Hm, he's response to a tweeter showing him the new now in "beta" amazons open source lumberyard engine was: " interesting " so foreboding anyone X) ?

#31 MrMadguy

• 2,209 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:56 PM

What I want to say, is that one of the reasons, why so few players play this game - is because only a few players can afford 2K$ computer, that can handle Crysis-level game smoothly. Most players still have computers, that can handle only Half-Life-level obsolete games, on old fashioned BSP/Lightmap engine without even basic things, like bumpmap support, like Wow. That's why millions of players play Wow and only 2K players play MWO. Even more demanding engine will simply finish this game.

Edited by MrMadguy, 26 February 2016 - 11:59 PM.

#32 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 27 February 2016 - 12:13 AM

View PostMrMadguy, on 26 February 2016 - 11:56 PM, said:

What I want to say, is that one of the reasons, why so few players play this game - is because only a few players can afford 2K$ computer, that can handle Crysis-level game smoothly. Most players still have computers, that can handle only Half-Life-level obsolete games, on old fashioned BSP/Lightmap engine without even basic things, like bumpmap support, like Wow. That's why millions of players play Wow and only 2K players play MWO. Even more demanding engine will simply finish this game.

Sorry, but virtually any game developer will tell you you're wrong. You don't code backwards...

When developers code they code "todays" average PC as the minimum spec and forecast into the planned future (typically their expected development time line) for the recommended. They do this under the presumption that by the time they are done with development technology has advanced to a point where they hit a "sweet spot" where older PCs still have access to the game (albeit at minimum spec) and the game still has enough under the hood to please the wiz-bang crown with their high-end PCs.

While you're correct in the sense that it becomes more accessible to the masses... Doing so would date the game's capacity to wow with dazzle and innovation.

I did a little 3D contract work in my past life for a couple WWII flight sims and I assure you the budget I was given for my assets would bring the high-end PCs prevalent at the time to a crawl... But when the title was released it ran like butter.

Nature of the beast...

#33 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:20 AM

and I have to disagree with this. I play on a $1300 two year old laptop and I can run high at 60 FPS

#34 Signal27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:26 AM

View PostMrMadguy, on 26 February 2016 - 11:14 PM, said:

Some players, who don't understand anything about game development, assume, that engine update will magically bring some cool features. For example many players assume, that engine update will dramatically improve graphics in old games. The real truth - engine is just a tool to render art, that is created by artists. New engine won't improve graphics in outdated games, like Wow, just because almost 0 models in this game have bump/displacement maps on them and without them models will stay as flat, at they are now. Artist would have to create them first and it's too hard work to invest resources into it at this moment. Higher speeds will be allowed? Dream more. Speed limit depends on server framerate - not on game engine. Most of you don't even understand, that server side has nothing to do with CryEngine.

So I really doubt, that new engine will improve anything. But what I know for sure - is that DX11 is much less optimal in current engine and causes sudden drops of FPS and that newer versions of engine don't have DX9 support, that works smoothly.

Then at the very least we can hope that a new engine will be easier for the devs to work with, and thus speed up development time.

#35 NextGame

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationHaggis Country

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:28 AM

that is *huge* news, because it shows commitment to continuing to support the game on a longer term basis

Edited by NextGame, 27 February 2016 - 01:29 AM.

#36 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:30 AM

Ooooooor, WoW is the crack l of gaming, and MW:O is a niche game that should have the same graphical quality it had in its own closed beta, instead of trying to keep the potatoes.

Edited by RestosIII, 27 February 2016 - 01:31 AM.

#37 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:59 AM

How many game engines out there that can be licensed? There are so many out there.

I am very impressed with the game engine War Thunder is using. From the graphics to the frame rates and the solidity of the netcode. BigWorld game engine bought and used by Wargaming is ideally for large scale multiplayer online games, and is also used with other MMOs.

To minimize porting from Cryengine, one has to use a game engine that uses C++ for its developmental language and Lua for scripting. The most well known engine that meets that would be Valve's Source 2 engine.

Crytek is said to be tethering financially, so support and further development may have been impacted by its financial situation. With this happening its no wonder PGI maybe wisely looking for a new game engine.

Edited by Anjian, 27 February 2016 - 02:01 AM.

#38 MrMadguy

• 2,209 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 02:08 AM

View PostSignal27, on 27 February 2016 - 01:26 AM, said:

Then at the very least we can hope that a new engine will be easier for the devs to work with, and thus speed up development time.

This won't happen. PGI has curved hands - this can't be fixed by any engine. Game engine - is just a tool, like a hammer for nails hammering. It's still up to you to fill your game with content and code it properly. If you hold it for wrong side - then no matter, how decent it is - you won't succeed no matter what.

Edited by MrMadguy, 27 February 2016 - 02:13 AM.

#39 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 02:15 AM

The game engine actually sets limits to the size of the maps, your graphics, polygon and texture budgets, which in turn sets limits to your content. The limited size of the maps in MWO has a lot to do with this.

Fixing your foundation --- enables you to uncork your content.

Having said this, I don't believe the guy directing MWO's creative and game content is top notch.

#40 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 27 February 2016 - 02:16 AM

View PostSignal27, on 27 February 2016 - 01:26 AM, said:

this is what i'm thinking and hoping for

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users