Tier 2 Harbors The Most Frustrating Mwo Experience (Here's Why)

141 replies to this topic

#1 Jazzbandit1313

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,088 posts
  • Location--- Star's End ---- -- Novo Cressidas --

Posted 26 April 2016 - 08:42 PM

The tier system was implemented quite some time ago if I remember correctly. I haven't moved up by a decent amount at all, maybe a few pixels or so. However, my statistics have only been improving, things like K/D, W/L.

Something else to note, and I think anyone in low-mid tier two will agree, is that the builds being run and the play-style being used is utter meta crap and it pisses the living hell out of me.

In 13/15 of my matches tonight, I had at least 30-40% or more of my armor stripped off from 600M out or further. Yes, you could use the argument that I'm a dumb player who doesn't know how to use cover. But no, not valid. Anyone that's played a game with me or watch me play knows that I know better than to peek a stalker with 6ERLL at 800M or something like that.

Three things that are problematic in my eyes:

The more competitive the games get due to the tier system, the more meta people will be loading their mechs with (I.E. gauss, erll, erppc, lpl, lrm) and the more saturated the tier will become with meta vomit builds that rely on perks that amplify damage at extreme ranges, while I'm sitting behind a rock with my SRM's and AC/20's, bored as the rock I'm standing behind.

Map design nowadays, such as Plexus, encourage peek and alpha gameplay that ruins the game for a lot of people. How do you think a new player feels, peeking out from a corner to fire at the enemy and getting 25% of his armor bursted off before he can even begin backing his mech up?

The obvious part here is the standard "Super low TTK and Convergence make this game crap", to which I would agree to some extent, sadly. low TTK, as a result of various balancing 'fixes' and the absolutely broken convergence mechanic only encourage people to run these bursty, peekaboo builds that are killing brawling as a style of play. This wouldn't be so bad if PGI gave some buffs to the brawlers and the ways in which they cover from the rain or vomit, but we haven't seen a significant boost to brawler's power since Ilya Muromets, in my opinion.

Do I think the game sucks? No. I love MWO and I've been playing for over three years now, and I won't stop anytime soon. I do however feel as though some changes need to be made to the long range/peekaboo/alpha-only style of gameplay that is, at least in tier two, ruining the game for me and many others from what I've witnessed.

Hell, even if you don't re-balance anything PGI, at least give me the god damn option to lower my tier.

I would gladly manually lower myself to tier 3 or 4 to experience more brawls and balanced, mixed-loadout gameplay, because that's what made me fall in love with this game.

Thoughts?

******************************* Adding this to make my point more clear:

And let's be clear, I really don't care about tier or rank in any video game for that matter. I am a Nova 4 in CSGO, which isn't a particularly high rank, but I don't pay attention to it because I have fun in the matches I'm placed in.

My point isn't "Wah Wah I wanna be tier 1 PGI change the game for me", it's "I'm having a kinda crappy experience and I think it has mostly to do with the tier system and the ways in which it brings out the most meta/frustrating parts of the game"

Edited by Jazzbandit1313, 26 April 2016 - 09:25 PM.

#2 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 26 April 2016 - 08:50 PM

Git gud = go up.
Dont git gud = go nowhere

#3 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Stop playing in the pug Q really this easy. Get on a team and play in the group q. As for tiers i could care less.

#4 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

the whole tier system idea was stupid anyway.

if you pick 24 random players to be in a game, statistically youre going to get players of all skill levels on both teams, and over time thats going to average out anyway.

So there was never any need whatsoever to have a tier system.

What they absolutely did need to balance was tonnage/weight classes and the matchmaker doesnt do that....

#5 Jazzbandit1313

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 08:54 PM

View PostBoogie138, on 26 April 2016 - 08:50 PM, said:

Git gud = go up.
Dont git gud = go nowhere

I agree my friend.

The problem here is that I, statistically on my MWO profile, have been improving in several ways as outline above. Yet, I haven't moved a significant amount in the tier, even though I've been improving and playing regularly.

Did I mention, I've had a lot less fun than I used to in this game after the tier system?
Playing against long range meta cheese is draining, and I often stop playing for weeks at a time.

I'd also Like to add on to my original point.

Tier two's teamwork is atrocious compared to other tier's from the gameplay I've watched and heard of. No one covers anyone, no one calls targets. In fact, most games I find myself the only one using voice to call targets, quadrants, and enemy weak spots.

Edited by Jazzbandit1313, 26 April 2016 - 09:12 PM.

#6 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:12 PM

there is your problem.
You need to play regularly otherwise you wont go anywhere.
I wouldnt worry about moving up in the first place though

Edited by Boogie138, 27 April 2016 - 04:52 AM.

#7 Jazzbandit1313

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:15 PM

View PostBoogie138, on 26 April 2016 - 09:12 PM, said:

You there is your problem.
You need to play regularly otherwise you wont go anywhere.
I wouldnt worry about moving up in the first place though

I've really only taken two solid breaks from this game. Otherwise, like i said earlier, I've been playing regularly. At least 3 matches per day. Breaks lasting no longer than two weeks.

If PGI has built the tier system to lower you after that short of an inactive time, then the tier system is utterly meaningless anyway

Interesting point huh?

And let's be clear, I really don't care about tier or rank in any video game for that matter. I am a Nova 4 in CSGO, which isn't a particularly high rank, but I don't pay attention to it because I have fun in the matches I'm placed in.

My point isn't "Wah Wah I wanna be tier 1 PGI change the game for me", it's "I'm having a kinda crappy experience and I think it has mostly to do with the tier system and the ways in which it brings out the most meta/frustrating parts of the game"

Please make sure you understand my original intent before providing further thoughts.

Edited by Jazzbandit1313, 26 April 2016 - 09:18 PM.

#8 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:17 PM

Screw going up, I wanna go down, so Im not being matched with the tier 2 qand 1 guys that I cant beat. But I cant do that without thousands of suicide matches. But if I do THAT, Ill get banned.

View PostJazzbandit1313, on 26 April 2016 - 09:15 PM, said:

I've really only taken two solid breaks from this game. Otherwise,, like i said earlier, I've been playing regularly. At least 3 matches per day. Breaks lasting no longer than two weeks.

If PGI has built the tier system to lower you after that short of an inactive time, then the tier system is utterly meaningless.

interesting point huh?

I took a break for at least 6 months and Im in the exact same place that I was when I left.......

And tier 3 MAKES the tier system utterly meaningless

THAT and the idea that theres not enough t2 or t1 ro fight themselves... Or that was the excuse when they put it in, so hasnt the population gone up at all?

Edited by Mechwarrior Buddah, 26 April 2016 - 09:19 PM.

#9 Jazzbandit1313

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:20 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 26 April 2016 - 09:17 PM, said:

Screw going up, I wanna go down.

Me too man, me too.

#10 Sorbic

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:22 PM

View PostJazzbandit1313, on 26 April 2016 - 08:54 PM, said:

I agree my friend.

The problem here is that I, statistically on my MWO profile, have been improving in several ways as outline above. Yet, I haven't moved a significant amount in the tier, even though I've been improving and playing regularly.

Did I mention, I've had a lot less fun than I used to in this game after the tier system?

Playing against long range meta cheese is draining, and I often stop playing for weeks at a time.

Well if one was basically floating (not going up or down) in T2 and they improved a wee bit then their chances of going up would only improve a wee bit. Meaning it would take some time to even notice. The climb in general can be very slow but I can't stress enough that one just shouldn't care about it.

I wish I could fall back to T2 as I tend to run a lot of garbage builds/3rd rate mechs. But I still (mostly) do alright even in those. The secret is to not care too much. I mean I try to help the team but dammit I'm going to run my slow arse AC10 (20 if I'm feeling narcissistic) Urbie because I enjoy it. Tonight I've been running mostly Dragons with a smattering of Orions. Join me in the second rate mechs! Posted Image

Edit: Posted between rounds so just seeing the "I don't care" bit.

Edited by Sorbic, 26 April 2016 - 09:25 PM.

#11 Jazzbandit1313

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:25 PM

View PostSorbic, on 26 April 2016 - 09:22 PM, said:

Well if one was basically floating (not going up or down) in T2 and they improved a wee bit then their chances of going up would only improve a wee bit. Meaning it would take some time to even notice. The climb in general can be very slow but I can't stress enough that one just shouldn't care about it.

I wish I could fall back to T2 as I tend to run a lot of garbage builds/3rd rate mechs. But I still (mostly) do alright even in those. The secret is to not care too much. I mean I try to help the team but dammit I'm going to run my slow arse AC10 (20 if I'm feeling narcissistic) Urbie because I enjoy it. Tonight I've been running mostly Dragons with a smattering of Orions.

I don't care about what tier I'm in, please refer to the end of my OP for my real argument here. Look I'll even change the title for you.

#12 Malachy Karrde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 473 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:33 PM

I have been steadily increasing in tier... am tier 2 Currently, and I have had similar experiences, not so much the tier bar not moving, but the complete lack of teamwork, discipline, and the fact everyone only wants to snipe. The battles just suck, they aren't battles, they are snipe offs. As a Dire wolf pilot, about the only thing I can do is hang back and snipe as well until someone finally grows some balls and comes for me. About the only way you can brawl is the last few seconds of a match.

#13 Sorbic

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:34 PM

View PostJazzbandit1313, on 26 April 2016 - 09:25 PM, said:

I don't care about what tier I'm in, please refer to the end of my OP for my real argument here. Look I'll even change the title for you.

Yeah, I did skip out on the end, and then mentioned such, but many of these posts follow a similar trend. "I'm not going up" followed by an unconvincing "I don't care". Assumed it was just another of those...

Edited by Sorbic, 26 April 2016 - 09:35 PM.

#14 Prokust

• PipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 97 posts
  • Locationin a tiny space

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:35 PM

Impossible? No. Hard? Yes, and the points you bring up are part of that problem. Also I am playing 3-4 hours a week and psr goes up, slowly but constantly. Of course thats just my personal experience.

#15 Jazzbandit1313

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:45 PM

View PostSorbic, on 26 April 2016 - 09:34 PM, said:

Yeah, I did skip out on the end, and then mentioned such, but many of these posts follow a similar trend. "I'm not going up" followed by an unconvincing "I don't care". Assumed it was just another of those...

Understandable! No worries. Just want to make my point clear :)

#16 Jazzbandit1313

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:52 PM

View PostMalachy Karrde, on 26 April 2016 - 09:33 PM, said:

About the only way you can brawl is the last few seconds of a match.

Great thing to point out here man.

Brawls do occur, yes. However, they are often in the last minute or two of the game, usually following a large portion of sniping, peekabooing, etc.

In fact, the only win and good game individually I had tonoght was when I was afk in spawn writing replies in this thread. I proceeded to stroll onto the field with my jaguar and net a 556-5-5-783 game. Good game and brawl for me? Hell yes. Why was I actually able to brawl in a tier two game? All of the long range meta peekers had either run out of ammo or traded kills with my teammates. Sure, it was an easy score to get, As my enemy was softer thanks to my teammates, but it made me genuinely happy to be playing at that point in time.

I do not wish and sort of dissatisfaction to any player of mwo, meta player or brawler alike. I only wish that we could all have fun on a more level playing field, one that tier two doesn't bring fourth or allow in many ways. As my original argument states, tier two encourages playstyles that contribute to a vastly unbalanced experience for anyone involved.

Edited by Jazzbandit1313, 26 April 2016 - 09:54 PM.

#17 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:52 PM

View PostJazzbandit1313, on 26 April 2016 - 08:42 PM, said:

Thoughts?

******************************* Adding this to make my point more clear:

I'm a brawler 'cause I love to go close and personal, and smash faces.

It requires positioning and coordination, that's why I avoid solo que (if I drop solo, then I know I have to bring gauss and lezors.....because I know teamates, prolly tier 3, never want to move their a$$es).

In pug group que, I assure you that hard pushes is the way to go, it's hella fun.
It's not a problem of tiers, imo. But playstyle: a lot of tier 1 I play with and against like very much to go close and brawl.

#18 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:53 PM

Adjust your build/deck/champion according to the meta befitting the tier/Elo/rank. This simple logic applies to all games, be it Hearthstone, League of Legends, or Counter-Strike. If you refuse to change your build then at least get good so you can time your brawl. I have 2:1 WLR in T1 with brawler HBK-4SP, in solo-q, so it is indeed possible.

Make sure you use VOIP to call for opportune push and play during NA prime time, where pugs are likely to follow your lead. Also, stack up your votes for brawl friendly map. Otherwise, just create an alt account and seal clubs in T5 like all other cowards.

Edited by El Bandito, 26 April 2016 - 09:56 PM.

#19 Jazzbandit1313

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:56 PM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 26 April 2016 - 09:52 PM, said:

I'm a brawler 'cause I love to go close and personal, and smash faces.

It requires positioning and coordination, that's why I avoid solo que (if I drop solo, then I know I have to bring gauss and lezors.....because I know teamates, prolly tier 3, never want to move their a$$es).

In pug group que, I assure you that hard pushes is the way to go, it's hella fun.
It's not a problem of tiers, imo. But playstyle: a lot of tier 1 I play with and against like very much to go close and brawl.

I assure you that most, say at least 90% of pushes in tier two end in disaster or severe loss in armor and teammates before you can ever reach the enemy or get in range, thanks to the balance that favors long ranged weapons and map design, at least some of the time.

#20 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,790 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:57 PM

upon being thrust into t2 i had expected my games to suck more. but for the first week or so i ended up getting really good games. though last night was full of terrible games, and its the first time the pendulum went backwards. but my bar keeps moving right reguardless.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users