Mech Rescales

40 replies to this topic

#1 Zordicron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:29 AM

Didn't see a thread about this. IMO, it was pretty dang big news. Not just performance per chassis stuff, but there are a lot of balance implications. What do you think might happen when this goes live?

Discuss here.

#2 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:33 AM

I, for one, welcome our new Nova overlords.

#3 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:37 AM

In what way? We've known for a while now that it had become a huge project.

About the only new info I gleaned was when he let slip " may or June".

Longer than hoped for. Do hope we see waves, and not a " nothing till they're all done" sort of thing.

#4 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:43 AM

Depends on how much they nerf mechs when they rescale them. If they rescale the Nova 20% and leave most it quirks its going up to tier 1. If they remove most the quirks it might be a wash.

If some of the mechs getting 5% rescale drop 90% of the quirks they might even be worse off.

At least we can count on the new mechs being scaled balanced.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 27 February 2016 - 10:44 AM.

#5 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:44 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 27 February 2016 - 10:33 AM, said:

I, for one, welcome our new Nova overlords.

#6 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:50 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 27 February 2016 - 10:37 AM, said:

Longer than hoped for. Do hope we see waves, and not a " nothing till they're all done" sort of thing.

Russ made it sound like the latter, where it would be some giant patch and then they would all release. At least that's how I took it.

I was actually less impressed by the Nova, as I had already presumed they would make it Crab sized. What struck me about the whole thing is that the main reason they would wait to dump them all instead of doing small batches every patch is that some are going to get..... bigger... and by that I mean... prepare for the Stalker nerf.

I know if I was going to stomp on a couple favored mechs by making them bigger targets I would want to mix them in with a whole bunch of mechs that got improved to dissipate the tears amongst the glee.

#7 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:52 AM

View PostZordicron, on 27 February 2016 - 10:50 AM, said:

Russ made it sound like the latter, where it would be some giant patch and then they would all release. At least that's how I took it.

I was actually less impressed by the Nova, as I had already presumed they would make it Crab sized. What struck me about the whole thing is that the main reason they would wait to dump them all instead of doing small batches every patch is that some are going to get..... bigger... and by that I mean... prepare for the Stalker nerf.

I know if I was going to stomp on a couple favored mechs by making them bigger targets I would want to mix them in with a whole bunch of mechs that got improved to dissipate the tears amongst the glee.

Crab is too small Russ said it's going to be increased in size. Not everything is going to be buffed.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 27 February 2016 - 10:52 AM.

#8 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:15 AM

I'm mostly interested in a slimmer Victor. That, and the removal of Catapult's VCRs.

#9 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:27 AM

Hoping for a Kit Fox with a CT smaller than the Americas.

#10 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:31 AM

Makes me want to play the nova and jump snipe the **** out of everyone.

#11 Chimera_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 446 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:32 AM

My understanding was that Russ wants to only throw the rescales out in at most 2 waves because certain mechs that haven't been rescaled may look wonky and giant compared to those that have.

I will love to try out Awesomes, Victors, Catapults, and maybe even Warhawks once they're all rescaled. I doubt many of my existing chassis will get major rescales (HBR, TBR, IICs, STK, WHM, HGN, etc), but I'm fine with all the mechs I currently own anyway.

#12 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:36 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 27 February 2016 - 10:37 AM, said:

I think he said he didn't expect all the rescaling would be complete by the May patch, and expected to do a staggered release over the May/June patches. That was what I understood when asked when he expected rescaling would be dropped.

#13 Signal27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:38 AM

In before somebody complains that the rescaled mechs are now even further away from their listed dimensions in the technical readouts from the board game.

#14 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:46 AM

View PostSignal27, on 27 February 2016 - 11:38 AM, said:

In before somebody complains that the rescaled mechs are now even further away from their listed dimensions in the technical readouts from the board game.

If anything, they'd be getting closer. Not that there is much hard data on them beside ranging from 8-14 meters.

As attempts at being a smartazz goes, Your post seems lacking in the "smart" aspect.

View PostScarecrowES, on 27 February 2016 - 11:36 AM, said:

I think he said he didn't expect all the rescaling would be complete by the May patch, and expected to do a staggered release over the May/June patches. That was what I understood when asked when he expected rescaling would be dropped.

Would have loved some sprinkled thru Mar and Apr patches

#15 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 27 February 2016 - 12:49 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 27 February 2016 - 11:46 AM, said:

Would have loved some sprinkled thru Mar and Apr patches

I think he said several times that the March patch is already set. And April is CW3, isn't it, with the new grim-inspired map and Domination game mode too? I think Russ said all these updates were taking up all the QA time right now.

But I agree in principle... to just get some rescaled mechs out there to tide over some of the more rabid in the fanbase. But from an implimentation and balancing standpoint, it's probably easier to drop them in as close to one go as they can.

#16 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 12:51 PM

Imagine 12 man all jump sniper novas ... yeah ... return of the poptarts in group play.

#17 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:38 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 27 February 2016 - 10:52 AM, said:

Crab is too small Russ said it's going to be increased in size. Not everything is going to be buffed.

That's pretty much the jist of what i was writing there....and most of why I made the thread.

I suppose it infers mostly speculation when I ask about the topic as we basically don;t know anything besides a picture of the Nova. But it is what it is and speculation or not IMO it is going to turn a significant chunk of the "tier ratings" for our mechs on it's head. For instance, will the Stalker 4N be as potent if the Stalker chasiss is rescaled big enough that it loses a significant part of it's overall durability? What if it gets big enough it becomes fairly easy to pinpoint a section, and suddenly it gets Catapult CT syndrome? Will they have to adjust hitboxes then? Will they add structure quirks to a Stalker?

IMO there is a whole lot of potential for really, really messing up the status quo of MWO. I am not upset about that, nor do I dread it. It's just something coming, and my curiosity at the event is difficult to quench when there is so little info or discussion about it.

#18 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:58 PM

Status quo could do with a good shake up. Plus the mean streak in me can't wait for the inevitable " I spent IRL money on mah uber meta mech brug!" , from the metahumping Tryhards that shortsightedly buy mechs based on today's quirks and Meta.

#19 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 02:11 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 27 February 2016 - 01:58 PM, said:

Status quo could do with a good shake up. Plus the mean streak in me can't wait for the inevitable " I spent IRL money on mah uber meta mech brug!" , from the metahumping Tryhards that shortsightedly buy mechs based on today's quirks and Meta.

I agree with this sentiment.

Care to speculate on a "size scale" from smallest to biggest for the IS assaults after a rescale? IMO the Victor and the Awesome are going to be on the small end, and the "new Stalker" will be firmly in the middle, if not creeping to the larger side. there are a lot of them though where I am not sure how they will end up.... will PGI make the Banshee bigger because it is considered one of the better assaults and more size= less durability..... Will a Mauler end up being as big as an Atlas(sort of like MW4), will Zeus see an upscale, as it is one of the smaller ones now, but isn;t considered super good?

That's the type of thing I am wondering about in futility as we have such little info about it. One can hope in the end, each mech will be "just right" and balance will be such that there is no lopsided "the best hands down" type mechs, but the realist in me thinks this rescale is just going to swap some of the mechs around and crown a different batch royalty.

#20 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 02:40 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 27 February 2016 - 01:58 PM, said:

Gotta catch them all and then you wont have that problem :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users