#61 Vossiewulf

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSan Mateo, CA

Posted 01 March 2016 - 12:58 AM

View PostNauht, on 01 March 2016 - 12:03 AM, said:

I've driven nearly all the assaults and the thing that affirms that I'm a heavy MW is that I really don't like the lack of speed and mobility of assaults. At least with Spirit Bear going 90kph with MASC and over 60kph without.. well.. that's within heavy speed territory.

I'm mostly heavy, but I have (mostly clan) mechs in all classes and have been playing the others quite a bit also. Just play a Dire Wolf for a few days, from that point ALL assaults will feel quite nimble, heavies are racecars, mediums and lights exceed c and stop time. Polar highlands + conquest, your options will be 1) you win, without seeing the enemy, 2) you lose, shot to death by 9 guys at once, 3) a light who doesn't grasp the concept stops to slowly torture you to death. About one in ten you'll actually have valid targets in front of you.

But it's really super fun to have valid targets and 6 x UAC5s with plenty of ammo. It's like that scene in The Matrix where Neo opens up with the minigun and it goes all slow motion with 14,000 brass cases flying everywhere while the target looks like a 4th of July mech sparkler. If you don't laugh like an evil overlord you are totally incapable of laughing like an evil overlord and should feel ashamed.

You should also try the Banshee, I have been doing quite well with a 3M with 2xERLL and 6xMPL, with speed tweak it's doing 64 and its twist speed is really reasonable for something that big. I'm able to track lights to a fairly close range with it.

#62 Widowmaker1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 01 March 2016 - 12:59 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 29 February 2016 - 07:49 PM, said:

And that 90KPH comes along with vastly faster twisting. Twisting is what keeps an Atlas alive, even more than quirks.

The AS7's quirks allow it to eat more fire than the KDK could, but the KDK will spread damage better.

That isnt really quite true. Atlas (other than the DDC) with a 350:
Twists as if it had a 490
Turns as if it had a 440
acc/dec as if it had a 475

It is far more agile than the Kodiak will be(barring MASC), just slower in a straight line.

#63 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 01 March 2016 - 01:05 AM

View PostRhent, on 01 March 2016 - 12:50 AM, said:

I'm not really that concerned on the mech. It has similar hard points to the Atlas without the quirks. If it had numerous ballistic slots I'd be worried, but looking at the variants in Sarna, its looking like 2 ballistic slots will be max. It looks to have an abundance of energy slots with a limited amount of ballistic and missile slots.

KDK-3 will come with 2E in each arm and 2B in each ST.

https://mwomercs.com/kodiak

#64 Vossiewulf

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSan Mateo, CA

Posted 01 March 2016 - 02:02 AM

The one I want is the KDK-5 with 2 x ERLL, 9 x ERML, and a Gauss with 23 double heatsinks. Set the mediums into three groups, set them all to chain fire, shoot all three groups at once, still only 3 simultaneous but it will keep doing 21 dam as long as the heat scale holds out. Although as fun as that sounds it might make more sense to trim it down to 6 ERMLs and replace with yet more heatsinks, but regardless in looking at the specs this is the one that had the highest MUHAHAHA factor for me.

#65 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 01 March 2016 - 08:09 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 29 February 2016 - 05:49 PM, said:

It IS better than it's counterpart; but it's got the same weakness dragging it down too - size, bulkiness, hitboxes. The ClanXL helps a lot, for sure. I love my Orion IIC's Posted Image But they're not as good as Timberwolves. Not bad mechs, but not really great ones either.

But the Kodiak? It's got adequate to good hardpoints, armor, speed. It can run, on one variant or another, almost any DWF build, but it can also do those builds with a larger engine. With 350-375 rated engines, it can get a magical mix of speed/maneuverability AND massive tonnage available for lighter clan weapons, while still packing in oodles of DHS. It certainly won't be a bad mech, unless the hitbox fairy kicks it square in the nuts.

Oh yeah not better than them, but heck of a lot more customizable compared to the Timber, that's why I like it, I can carry a better pay load than it any day in exchange for speed.

And the Kodiak? I have nothing bad to say about it, it's going to be fun and interesting to play on the battlefield as the first 100 ton Clan Battlemech to hit the field.

I think most assaults are going to be afraid of this thing :)

#66 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 01 March 2016 - 10:12 AM

View PostScout Derek, on 01 March 2016 - 08:09 AM, said:

Oh yeah not better than them, but heck of a lot more customizable compared to the Timber, that's why I like it, I can carry a better pay load than it any day in exchange for speed.

And the Kodiak? I have nothing bad to say about it, it's going to be fun and interesting to play on the battlefield as the first 100 ton Clan Battlemech to hit the field.

I think most assaults are going to be afraid of this thing :)
I'd put money on it being the best clan Assault to date, but that's not a high bar.

#67 Ace Selin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 March 2016 - 11:08 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 01 March 2016 - 10:12 AM, said:

I'd put money on it being the best clan Assault to date, but that's not a high bar.

LOL, seeing as the Dire Wolf is the best assault in game at the moment in the 350-600m engagement range.

But i do expect the Kodiak to be immensely powerful too.

Edited by Ace Selin, 01 March 2016 - 11:09 PM.

#68 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 02 March 2016 - 03:43 PM

View PostAce Selin, on 01 March 2016 - 11:08 PM, said:

LOL, seeing as the Dire Wolf is the best assault in game at the moment in the 350-600m engagement range.

It can put out a lot of damage, but it's severely limited - particularly post agility nerfs.

Maybe at tournament level play, where you can rely 100% on your team working with you and covering your flanks. But in normal play? Even at higher level public play, the Direwolf is a shadow of what laser vomit BLR's and such can achieve. It's just too limited now; unless a strategy is worked around the Direwolf's limitations, it's basically an anchor.

And I say this as someone who truly loves his Direwolfs.

Edited by Wintersdark, 02 March 2016 - 03:44 PM.

#69 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 03:47 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 01 March 2016 - 10:12 AM, said:

Hey, you've already put money on it though :D

View PostAce Selin, on 01 March 2016 - 11:08 PM, said:

Dire Wolf is not the best assault in the game. Most Firepower yes, but not the best, I could pilot a Executioner or a IS Highlander better.

#70 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:01 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 02 March 2016 - 03:47 PM, said:

Hey, you've already put money on it though Posted Image

Well, I'd have bought it even if I thought it was going to be bad. I'm a big fan =)

But in this particular instance, I'm very sure it's going to be very solid.

After all, mounting Direwolf builds, not having awful "Look mah, I'm a brick!" geometry, being able to chose speed vs. firepower etc as I wish... Yes. Yes indeed.

300 rated engines on 100t mechs are just bad, particularly these days.

#71 Ace Selin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 March 2016 - 01:26 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 02 March 2016 - 03:43 PM, said:

It can put out a lot of damage, but it's severely limited - particularly post agility nerfs.

Maybe at tournament level play, where you can rely 100% on your team working with you and covering your flanks. But in normal play? Even at higher level public play, the Direwolf is a shadow of what laser vomit BLR's and such can achieve. It's just too limited now; unless a strategy is worked around the Direwolf's limitations, it's basically an anchor.

And I say this as someone who truly loves his Direwolfs.

Still used routinely in group queue, i get a 1000 damage game a week in my Direwolf in solo matches and its one of my favourite mechs to use in CW defence (not Boreal) where again i routinely get 1000-1400 damage from it alone.
This is my favourite mech in the game at the moment. You do need to watch your team, anticipate the enemy and position yourself well, but i stand by my statement "the Dire Wolf is the best assault in game at the moment in the 350-600m engagement range."

View PostScout Derek, on 02 March 2016 - 03:47 PM, said:

Dire Wolf is not the best assault in the game. Most Firepower yes, but not the best, I could pilot a Executioner or a IS Highlander better.
Again ill disagree "the Dire Wolf is the best assault in game at the moment in the 350-600m engagement range." I have not found one assault that can do what my Jump capable 100 ton Direwolf(s) can do. Yes you do need to watch your positioning, but once positioned well this thing is wall of death. I dont think a Highlander is even in the same class as the Direwolf. The Executioner again could not stand up to a good Direwolf pilot, all things being equal the Direwolf wins.

#72 ChronoBear

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 01:35 PM

View PostThe Atlas Overlord, on 29 February 2016 - 02:36 PM, said:

Yes, It will completely obsolete the atlas if they handle it at all the way they did the other IIC mechs.
So if you like the atlas, tough luck this thing is Atlas 2.0
If you don't like the atlas, you won't like this. (Or maybe you will b/c it'll be a straight better version.)

Cant tell if serious or troll....

Have you played the IIC Highlander? I own it and its paper thin without any quirks.

The Atlas with its toughness quirks will be just fine... my god the IS whambulance squad is out today

#73 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 02:26 PM

View PostChronoBear, on 03 March 2016 - 01:35 PM, said:

Cant tell if serious or troll....

Have you played the IIC Highlander? I own it and its paper thin without any quirks.

The Atlas with its toughness quirks will be just fine... my god the IS whambulance squad is out today

Atlas is a troll, about half of his posts are.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users