105 replies to this topic

#81 Soulstrom

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 844 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 09:51 PM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 01 March 2016 - 07:30 PM, said:

Ebon and Bringer are pretty different mechs. It's like you want to compare apple and orange.
It's depend on tastes and pilots.

I prefer the Bringer, 'cause it fits me well: thinner profile, while the Ebon is larger and I can disarm it fairly easily.

For me it is quite different. I feel like the bringer gets cored easier for me than the Ebon. I also feel like the Ebon has a higher out put overall. But you are right that once the Ebon is armed it is in trouble. But that is why you max the armor on the arms. ;)

#82 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 10:05 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 29 February 2016 - 09:41 PM, said:

Then which mech is it? Don't leave us hanging.

There are specific IS mechs at different ranges that will out do the TBR, and out-do each other depending on the build and range.

I don't think there is a single specific "best mech in the game right now".

If you only play solo queue, which means primarily 250-500m and forced me to choose, it would be the Black Knight 6 as most powerful heavy.

It can go just about as fast, with huge concentrated alphas, heaps of heatsinks, solid quirks - rolls damage well making the most of those structure bonuses.

The TBR as a chassis is more versatile, due to the sheer number of options of build directions - but that doesn't make it better.

View PostEl Bandito, on 29 February 2016 - 09:41 PM, said:

Quirks, yes. Superior hitboxes, no. Black Knight is basically CT. The BK is objectively better than TW in close quarters, but I have never seen it perform at range as well as the Timbie. So it is not as one sided as you claim.

Close quarters?

No.

Once you're inside 500m mid-range game, Black Knight is extremely strong.

All CT? You might want to work on your damage spreading - it has big arms that soak damage, its hitboxes are tight overall, and those structure quirks go a long, long way.

Edited by Ultimax, 01 March 2016 - 10:09 PM.

#83 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,254 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 01 March 2016 - 10:06 PM

Tough question because different mechs are better at different things.

#84 Soulstrom

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 844 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 10:11 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 01 March 2016 - 10:06 PM, said:

Tough question because different mechs are better at different things.

This is a real open-ended question as it was meant to be. But based on all the mechs in MWO currently what do you think is the best overall mech at everything? The timber-wolf is great because you can omnipod it out for specific purposes and it is operational in all types of fighting environments and roles. But, the Atlas D-DC is great because it has ECM and enough hard points for variety. Now if there ever came the day where a timber was released with ECM. That would be game over in my opinion.

#85 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 02 March 2016 - 12:10 AM

View PostGyrok, on 01 March 2016 - 02:29 PM, said:

Challenge accepted:

HBR

EBJ

EDIT: HBR does it just fine...

Bad builds, End of story.

Like Tarogato said TC5 is a waste of 5 tons that could be DHS's and a TC1 or even none, TC1 or 7 are the only ones that DO anything right now anyway.

#86 Sigilum Sanctum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 02 March 2016 - 12:17 AM

Clearly, its the Panther 10P.

#87 Salticidae

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 248 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 12:30 AM

For me its the direwolf and the one i play the ,most with over 2300 pug games.

But for most people i think this in order.

Streakcrow
Timberwolf
Oxide

#88 TheCharlatan

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 02:10 AM

Timber wolf is the undisputed jack of all trades. If built correctly it is almost always the best mech at what it is built for.

Posted Image Just Kidding.
Best mech is the Locust.

#89 PEEFsmash

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 02 March 2016 - 02:48 AM

From a competitive perspective, the Timber Wolf is most certainly -not- the best mech in the game anymore. It can fit many roles reasonably well, but it excells at nothing right now. There is always another mech, usually inner sphere, that fills a role better than Timber. Main reason being it has no structure quirks so it melts too easily to good focus and aim.

Before the balance patch, it was certainly the Blackjack or the Quickdraw. After the latest patch, it's probably the Mauler-MX90 with UACS or AC5s or a mix. That mech is so good in the fire support role that it can be used, and be the best mech on the team, in essentially every style of drop from brawl to long range poke even in top-level competitive play.

Edited by PEEFsmash, 02 March 2016 - 02:58 AM.

#90 Luminis

• The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:23 AM

Well, best 'Mech overall is generally hard to define. Question is, do you value a 'Mech's versatility? Being able to fill a considerable number of roles and fill them well does not mean you'll get the most damage or the most kills in a given match - or that you'll be able to best every other 'Mech in a one on one. It does mean that that one 'Mech can do reasonably well in all game modes and on all maps if build right, though.

Taking versatility into account, I, like many others so far, have to say Timber Wolf. It can be build for super long range sniping, for long range Gauss vomiting, medium range laser vomiting, short range brawling - hell, you could turn it into a LRM boat if you wanted to. Essentially, if I had to pick one single 'Mech to play the game with, I'd pick the Timber Wolf because I'd have a reasonably good shot at performing well everywhere.

However, if one was to go for the 'Mechs that excel in a specific situation, things become a lot more difficult, in my opinion. It now almost entirely depends on outside factors. The Black Knight has been brought up before and I most certainly think it is an absolute monster once you have to deal with it within its preferred ~400 meter range without any obstacles to mess with its low hard points. On the other hand, given real close quarters combat and an environment with lots and lots of cover, you might want to consider the Oxide for its brawling capabilities and its ability to employ hit and run tactics (and survive, thanks to its structure quirks) to grind an opponent down. And if it's about sniping, well, you could go with an ERLL build on the Blackjack, using its high hardpoints and agility to poke all day, every day.

My personal opinion on this is that versatility should most certainly be taken into account when looking for the best overall 'Mech. For most other cases, you can think up a set of outside factors that negate a given 'Mechs capabilities to a certain extend - going back to the Black Knight example, it's not going to do too well if it has to navigate a maze of chest-high obstacles that a Timber Wolf can easily clear with, say, the A-LT omni pod.

That's at least my stance on the matter Posted Image

Edited by Luminis, 02 March 2016 - 06:24 AM.

#91 Lugh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:12 AM

View PostNauht, on 29 February 2016 - 09:29 PM, said:

Oh please. The reign of the TW is truly over.

With structure and agility/movement quirks IS heavies outperform a TW in all aspects except one - range.

I have no fear of TWs anymore in either my BL-KNT, MAD or WHM.

So true. When I am in my marauder I think ooo Timby!! Lunch!!

I also thought this in my HBK-IIC when charged by a 4 srm 6 6 cspler timby the other day. ( I was sporting 4srm6 and 2 MPL)...

Guess who won? That's right the HBK-IIC-B baby! (It helped the idjit charged through a bunch of my team's fire including mine trying to get to safety in a nook) When I JJ'd over the ramp to land beside him we was surprised to see me take his other torso in one.

#92 Steinar Bergstol

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:41 AM

Best mech? Phoenix Hawk, because Phoenix Hawk!

Can any other mech Phoenix Hawk? No they cannot. Only the Phoenix Hawk can Phoenix Hawk.

The Phoenix Hawk is endorsed by 100% of beautiful and all around wonderful people in the world. And remember, chicks dig Phoenix Hawks.

Is your day drab and dreary. Do you wish your life had meaning and substance? PHOENIX HAWK, BABY!

The Phoenix Hawk may not be released yet, but it still out-Phoenix Hawks any mech out there. Even in Closed Beta everyone feared the appearance of a Phoenix Hawk, because they knew they were done for!

The Phoenix Hawk is the Alpha and the Omega. The Question and the Answer! The peanutbutter _and_ the jelly!

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows, but he learned it all from the Phoenix Hawk!

In short, Phoenix Hawk!

I may be slightly excited about the Phoenix Hawk. Slightly. I am, however, never wrong, except when I'm not right and therefore my statement should be taken as fact and truth and Phoenix Hawk.

Phoenix Hawk.

:D

#93 Grimlox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 511 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:45 AM

According to my mech stats based on the mechs I own (about 100) the best mech overall for me is the Marauder or Timberwolf with a runner up to my Heavy Metal.

#94 Beaching Betty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 710 posts
  • Location-

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:51 AM

Jagermech.
Black Knight.
Marauder.
Timberwolf.
Firestarter.
Blackjack.
Centurion.
Atlas.
Cicada.

Everything is good if you know how to build it and use it effectively

#95 Uzi Foo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 103 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:33 AM

Timber Wolf is easy mode, the thing just moves like a stick in mud compared to a Warhammer.

#96 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:57 AM

View PostLugh, on 02 March 2016 - 08:12 AM, said:

So true. When I am in my marauder I think ooo Timby!! Lunch!!

To be fair, we saw this a lot with the Atlas pre-clan, and a lot with the Dire and Timby now. New players and/or players of questionable skill gravitate towards the biggest and most well known mechs in the game. They expect the mech to cover their inadequacies, and to a certain extent it can, at least amongst similarly unskilled players. But an experienced player in a Mist Lynx with an ERPPC can still solo them. Just as in real life, even with the best weapon available some people are more dangerous to themselves than their opponent, and others can beat you down with teething ring.

#97 Phra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 233 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 12:14 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 01 March 2016 - 04:50 PM, said:

Quirks, yes. Superior hitboxes, no. Black Knight is basically CT. The BK is objectively better than TW in close quarters, but I have never seen it perform at range as well as the Timbie.

Guess you haven't played them since release, they roll damage extremely well since the CT fix. Coupling that with the glorious shield RA and the 50% structure buffs will equal the most XL friendly, and by far the tankiest heavy mech in the game.

Timber has range advantage sure, but the BKN has the speed and tankyness to close up on just about anyone, and once you get there, there is nothing stopping you.

My opinion stands, the 6 and 7L are by far the best mechs for yoloq, where clans can't effectively exploit their inherit range advantage, with the CW crown going to the HBRs for their perfect mix of dmg, tonnage, durability, mounts and utility.

Edited by Phra, 02 March 2016 - 12:30 PM.

#98 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 02 March 2016 - 01:25 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 29 February 2016 - 08:23 PM, said:

Urbanmech.

God tier, son.

See, this is the garbage that will ruin it for the new players.

Urbie is the best, ha! My sweaty *ss cheek it is.

Real Best mech is the Locust. Only a generic scrub who cant even disgraces the seat of his pants by sitting in an Urbie. Disgusting!

#99 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 02 March 2016 - 01:32 PM

View PostInspectorG, on 02 March 2016 - 01:25 PM, said:

See, this is the garbage that will ruin it for the new players.

Urbie is the best, ha! My sweaty *ss cheek it is.

Real Best mech is the Locust. Only a generic scrub who cant even disgraces the seat of his pants by sitting in an Urbie. Disgusting!

well, coming from Cleveland, I reckon you might just be an authority on disgrace. So I won't argue with you. ;)

#100 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 02 March 2016 - 01:43 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 02 March 2016 - 01:32 PM, said:

well, coming from Cleveland, I reckon you might just be an authority on disgrace. So I won't argue with you. Posted Image

Exactly. Clevelanders can be gourmands for disgrace, especially for pro sports teams and road construction. And MWO is jockeying for eSports...

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users