Why Does The Kodiak And Phoenix Hawk Cost The Same Amount Of Dollars?

106 replies to this topic

#1 Zolaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:42 PM

So 100 ton mech pack costs the same as the 45 ton mech pack? Why?

#2 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:47 PM

View PostZolaz, on 02 March 2016 - 06:42 PM, said:

So 100 ton mech pack costs the same as the 45 ton mech pack? Why?

Much as I tend to get accused of white knighting, I would like to know myself. Perhaps if they added an extra variant, but as is?

Also still feel the collectors should be $10 upgrade, not $20. And should be a token letting you choose which variant you want to be the "special" model. (1 time only, selected like one does faction content)

Likewise, IMO, the Ultimate Pack should come at like a 10% discount, or have extra stuff added to make it more appealing.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 02 March 2016 - 06:49 PM.

#3 SuomiWarder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,661 posts
  • LocationSacramento area, California

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:52 PM

Because assault 'Mechs are not supposed to be "better" than other weight classes - according to PGI. Besides, they both took roughly the same amount of staff time to create and use roughly the same number of pixels.

#4 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:56 PM

Do you also feel the Kodiak pack should've cost more than the Warhammer and Marauder?

#5 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:01 PM

View PostLT. HARDCASE, on 02 March 2016 - 06:56 PM, said:

Do you also feel the Kodiak pack should've cost more than the Warhammer and Marauder?

Probably. Honestly, who'd post 20$ for a Locust?

While they are "supposed" to be equally viable, reality is, overall, they aren't.

Even if it was just dumbed down to a Light/Medium price and a Heavy/Assault price, I think it would be better representative, value-wise.

#6 Chimera_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 446 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:09 PM

While, in game, mechs cost more as tonnage increases, I would imagine it takes a similar amount of labor to design and make a medium and an assault. It's definitely a poorer value proposition for the players, though. In c-bills, Phoenix Hawks will end up costing what, half or a third of what Kodiaks with their xl 400s cost?

Ideally, I would like a pricing system based on +/- 25% of the current $20 as weight class changes. This system would probably mean they wouldn't really make any solo light packs, though.

Lights $10 base pack,
Mediums $15 base pack
Heavies $20 base pack (current price, and the base for the rest of the system)
Assaults $25 base pack

I'm not too worried about it, though. The Phoenix Hawk isn't particularly appealing to me, so I'll just buy some in September or whatever.

Edited by Chimera11, 02 March 2016 - 07:14 PM.

#7 Nauht

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:10 PM

Get it for CB and pay nothing.

Oh wait, you want the privilege of playing it earlier....

#8 Milocinia

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationAvalon City, New Avalon

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:11 PM

Throw in the 2 "reinforcement" variants into the main pack, then we'll talk about me opening my wallet.

Otherwise not a chance, stat.

#9 GreyNovember

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:11 PM

A 45 ton mech with SHS and STD Engines and gimped hardpoints. For the same price as a 100 ton clan assault with 400XLs that rivals Nova level energy hardpoints.

And yet. When you look at mastery bundles, the price CLEARLY scales with tonnage.

It's almost as if nobody thought that through.

#10 SkaerKrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 258 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:15 PM

I always thought (incorrectly it seems) that the cash price point of packs was somehow tied to the C-Bill value. Apparently, price points are just set arbitrarily. I will say that, even having spent a decent chunk of change on MWO, I've never felt poorly about any of my purchases. The price point of the Phoenix Hawk upgrades break that, which is a big part of why I'll probably be skipping most or all of it.

That said, I hope that anyone who gets it really enjoys their purchase.

#11 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:16 PM

The reason they cost the same for earlier purchase is that they (PGI) know dang well that earlier purchasers are mainly nostalgia and pokemech driven players. They will pay regardless. Yes some won't ALWAYS pay for EVERY mech, but most will for most, and they know it.

#12 habu86

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 248 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:19 PM

View PostNauht, on 02 March 2016 - 07:10 PM, said:

Get it for CB and pay nothing.

Oh wait, you want the privilege of playing it earlier....

This guy gets it.

The price of the mech is purely incidental and determined by their estimated production costs.

What you're paying for is to get access to it the moment it launches instead of looking at it for a few months until it's available for c-bills.

Basic revenue management: "How badly do you want that item/service/whatever? Show me in dollars please."

Edited by habu86, 02 March 2016 - 07:21 PM.

#13 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Wait are hero mechs not 75 MC per ton. 7500 MC for a 100 ton and 1500 for a 20 ton. That is $30 for a 100 ton hero mech and $6 for a locust.

So $15 for a 100 ton hero, great. Now $15 for a 20 ton hero forget it. For a 45 ton hero mech that is $13.50, maybe both.

That is saying $100 for 25000 MC

Edited by Barkem Squirrel, 02 March 2016 - 07:20 PM.

#14 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

View PostBishop Steiner, on 02 March 2016 - 07:01 PM, said:

Probably. Honestly, who'd post 20$ for a Locust?

Oh, oh! Pick me, pick me!

Especially if it has a "IIC" in the name. I'd even consider extra for that at this point, since the vast majority of 'Mechs released have been unappealing to me.

#15 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:22 PM

View PostGreyNovember, on 02 March 2016 - 07:11 PM, said:

A 45 ton mech with SHS and STD Engines and gimped hardpoints. For the same price as a 100 ton clan assault with 400XLs that rivals Nova level energy hardpoints.

And yet. When you look at mastery bundles, the price CLEARLY scales with tonnage.

It's almost as if nobody thought that through.

and even if upgrades/tech were the same, it would be irrelevant, because percieved value WILL be compared to their MC/CBill cost, which does scale.

Let's put two packs, side by side. Same number of mechs, same upgrades, same tech, same extra swag.

You get to choose between a Flea for $20 or an Annihilator.

Which pack is going to sell?

Now offer those same two packs, but the Flea is $10 (even if it came with less swag) while the Anni stays at $20.... Then how does the dynamic change?

And yes, the Urbie was $20, but that was supposed to be a "special " thing.

View PostYeonne Greene, on 02 March 2016 - 07:19 PM, said:

Oh, oh! Pick me, pick me!

Especially if it has a "IIC" in the name. I'd even consider extra for that at this point, since the vast majority of 'Mechs released have been unappealing to me.

You're a Looney. ;)

#16 SkaerKrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 258 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:24 PM

View Posthabu86, on 02 March 2016 - 07:19 PM, said:

This guy gets it.

The price of the mech is purely incidental and determined by their estimated production costs.

What you're paying for is to get access to it the moment it launches instead of looking at it for a few months until it's available for c-bills.

Basic revenue management: "How badly do you want that item/service/whatever? Show me in dollars please."

That's why the pack will go down in price once the mech is out for C-Bills, right? No? Okay then.

#17 Nauht

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:31 PM

View PostSkaerKrow, on 02 March 2016 - 07:24 PM, said:

That's why the pack will go down in price once the mech is out for C-Bills, right? No? Okay then.

Why would anyone buy it for real dollars when its out for virtual dollars?

Look, PGI know exactly what they're doing. These Unseen mechs were/are going to be cashcows, no doubt about it if you were a business wouldn't you do the same?

It does kinda suck that the price is static now but then again it is kinda awesome I got a 100t assault with a 100t hero woth MASC for the same price as my MAD and WHM.

It cuts both ways.

#18 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:32 PM

Because PGI knows that people will buy their gundam grabdeal packs no matter how high they jack the price.

#19 stealthraccoon

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:37 PM

You assume that your exchange of money will return an equivalent amount of value - you are purchasing nothing but the privilege of early access to something that doesn't have any real world worth.

I just paid $85 for entertainment, that isn't any more than two trips to the movie theater with my wife. If cost bugs you, just wait a month longer and get them for Cbills.

Try buying a 6 pack of Coca Cola in a foreign country without normal supply lines - that bartender can get local rum for $1/gallon but those shiny red cans are more expensive than champagne at a strip club!

Edited by stealthraccoon, 02 March 2016 - 07:40 PM.

#20 Milocinia

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationAvalon City, New Avalon

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:42 PM

View PostFupDup, on 02 March 2016 - 07:32 PM, said:

Because PGI knows that people will buy their gundam grabdeal packs no matter how high they jack the price.

Count this person out.

Whilst the change from pack to individual seemed ok at first and also understandable considering the new releases wouldn't be 1 of each class, this here is one whale who will no longer be participating.

Other than founders which I couldn't buy due to financial constraints at the time, I have bought every single top tier pack right up until the IIc.

Phoenix - Bought + Overlord
Wave I - Bought
Wave II - Bought
Wave III - Bought
Res I - Bought
Res II - Bought
Urbz - Bought
IIc - Skipped. To this day I still don't own a single IIc mech.
MAD - Bought
WHM - Bought
RFL - Lol Roflman no
ARC - Maybe
KDK - No... but maybe. Not a fan of IIc in MWO.
PHX - Not a chance even if my money was going to save a dying orphan.

Consider this whale well and truly beached.

Edited by Milocinia, 02 March 2016 - 07:50 PM.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users