Official Royal Kungsarme Mechs : Builds And Dropdeck Composition

353 replies to this topic

#341 KinLuu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:50 PM

The Griffin-3Ms only real advantage over the Griffin-2N is its ability to run with a full shield side. If you run it with a full shield side, not only can you protect all your weapons during the initial charge, it also gives the mech a lot of survivability for a medium mech, if you twist away after each shot.

If you run it with a XL, you might as well bring a 2N.

#342 Sjorpha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • 2,590 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:58 AM

View PostKinLuu, on 10 January 2017 - 10:50 PM, said:

The Griffin-3Ms only real advantage over the Griffin-2N is its ability to run with a full shield side. If you run it with a full shield side, not only can you protect all your weapons during the initial charge, it also gives the mech a lot of survivability for a medium mech, if you twist away after each shot.

If you run it with a XL, you might as well bring a 2N.

The 3M has much more structure quirks, very relevant for a brawler, that is the main reason to take the 3M over the 2N. Corner poking advantage also perhaps. Deadsiding with the 3M isn't really a thing as far as I know, it's generally better to be fast with griffins I think, at least in faction play where dying isn't a big deal as long as you do your damage for that wave.

Edited by Sjorpha, 11 January 2017 - 08:00 AM.

#343 Sjorpha

• Mercenary Rank 5
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • 2,590 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:03 AM

View PostYiryi-Sa, on 10 January 2017 - 08:00 PM, said:

How often do the Tier 1 brawling, KungsArmé mechs appear in CW drops? I'm fairly close to building a deck of mostly brawlers, with a mix of Thunderbolts, Centurions and Shadow Hawks.

I've tried GHRs and WHRs, but I feel like it was a chore to use them. Would the Catapult K2 make a decent mid-range replacement (say fitted out with twin AC10s and 4 MLs?). If not, I'll look into the recommended Tier 2 Thunderbolt and Rifleman builds.

I would say the pure super close range brawlers require that you have a group planning beforehand to brawl. Your general purpose FP deck should be midrange so you don't risk becoming dead weight if the plan isn't to brawl.

#344 KinLuu

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:11 AM

View PostSjorpha, on 11 January 2017 - 07:58 AM, said:

The 3M has much more structure quirks, very relevant for a brawler, that is the main reason to take the 3M over the 2N. Corner poking advantage also perhaps. Deadsiding with the 3M isn't really a thing as far as I know, it's generally better to be fast with griffins I think, at least in faction play where dying isn't a big deal as long as you do your damage for that wave.

Beeing fast is less important, if there are Hunchbacks around - those are hardcapped to a 275 anyways. Because the push is most effective, if everyone arrives at roughly the same time.

#345 Starbomber109

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 255 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:20 AM

Realistically, the difference between standard and XL is about 1 to 2 extra alpha strikes you can eat from enemy mechs. In 12 v 12 that might not matter as much, unless it's a map/mode that requires more speed. I think the difference tends to matter a lot more in scouting mode where you're taking less aggregate firepower and surviving for a few more seconds can make a difference. That's my take on it anyways.

#346 BoldricKent

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boom Box
  • The Boom Box
  • 142 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:32 AM

Hm, with armor buff of 21 for all PHX models, they got 49 armor on arms, while side torsos have 44, its true there is
a structure difference in components 14/22, heck arms get bigger structure quirks the side torsos 7/6, so difference is down to 7.
Thing is, there are no 45-55 toners that have such high engine cap and JJ to boot (maybe WVRs, but 10 more tons, does hit the speed hard ). I can understand favoritism of CDA due to good hit boxes, high mounted weapon slots, still i think PHX should be a strong contender for flanking mech.

15 % is a general heat generation quirks, extra 5 cant outmatch basic heat difference between SPL and ML, also 4 of those are in arms, low mounted. Reason why i have weapon group that ties 2srms with head mounted laser, for lesser exposure. I agree
extra range will always give you more breathing space. In close brawl SPLs outperform ML by a mile.

I think drops should be build with same mobility standard at least on lance level and be matching through waves. At least from my experience 4.1 FW really emphasis speed and mobile line over the rather static nature of former invasion mode, Clan have
much greater coherence of that (locked engines) with much higher average speed. It calls for unification of speed in classes to respond.

#347 Jesus McEvedy

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 91 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:22 PM

View PostSHRedo, on 09 January 2017 - 12:02 PM, said:

well spoken! thats a good point of view.
But on a sidenote, i dropped with organized 12 mans.Sure it is very satisfying to pull a win in a close match but telling
people the whole time they are useless or bad and shoud play only 5 mechs all the time (funny that the people that tell
that have 100+ mechs in their mechbays) dont help the game much.

Well, the problem is this: there ARE bad 'Mechs out there when it comes to FW. I will even point it out and offer advice on either better builds OR better 'Mech choices. There ARE bad players, as well, but this community has a tendency to resort to ad hominem attacks as opposed to offer constructive criticism, tips on playing, or even offering to tutor someone. No matter how frustrated I get at someone's lack of ability or skill, I never deride them. Sure, I probably rage plenty to myself, but it does not help anyone by telling someone over VOIP that they suck, or should uninstall. Instead, those willing to listen and learn, offer to help them. Those not willing to, well not much you can do but ignore them and hope you never drop with them again. As far as Tarogato and Mech The Dane are concerned, they most certainly know what they are talking about. Both are great players, leaders and, in the case of Tarogato, an amazing theory-crafter. Dane is a bit... abrasive at times, but that is just who he is. I have well over 1000hrs in this game on Steam alone, an OK K/D and W//L, am Tier 1 as well as the XO of one of the largest CJF Loyalist Units in the game. That said, I still am being mentored by players better than I and welcome tips and training whenever I can get it. The better you get at the game, the less frustrating it is and the more enjoyable it becomes.

I have also noticed that as my personal skill increases, the less inclined I am to blame others for failure and recognize my own short-comings in a match. I apologize if people in our community have attacked you personally over builds, 'Mechs and skill, and even if there MAY be (IDK, never played with you yet) some merit to their arguments, there is still no excuse for bad behavior and personal attacks. Just always be willing to listen, learn and improve and you will find success.

#348 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 4,706 posts
  • LocationUSA (PA) ... Being a classical musician... and stuff.

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:05 PM

View PostYiryi-Sa, on 10 January 2017 - 08:00 PM, said:

How often do the Tier 1 brawling, KungsArmé mechs appear in CW drops? I'm fairly close to building a deck of mostly brawlers, with a mix of Thunderbolts, Centurions and Shadow Hawks.

I've tried GHRs and WHRs, but I feel like it was a chore to use them. Would the Catapult K2 make a decent mid-range replacement (say fitted out with twin AC10s and 4 MLs?). If not, I'll look into the recommended Tier 2 Thunderbolt and Rifleman builds.

As of now, if you see an ISEN leading a CW drop, expect there to be one medium brawler requested in the deck, and the rest to be LPL spam with a hint of LL. I can't speak for what other units do.

For the K2 I would recommend 2x UAC5 + 2x LPL. I can't remember the engine and ammo off hand or if I even have it on the sheet, but that build will perform fairly well.

View PostBoldricKent, on 11 January 2017 - 10:32 AM, said:

also 4 of those are in arms, low mounted. Reason why i have weapon group that ties 2srms with head mounted laser, for lesser exposure. I agree

If you're concerned about low mounts in a -4SP, then you brought the wrong mech for the job. The -4SP is a mech that doesn't give a rat's *** about peeking or exposure - it's job is to get in the enemies face, deal damage, and tank damage. If you're not doing that, then you're not abusing its strengths. (keep in mind, all bets are off if you aren't coordinated with a large group)

View PostKinLuu, on 11 January 2017 - 08:11 AM, said:

Beeing fast is less important, if there are Hunchbacks around - those are hardcapped to a 275 anyways. Because the push is most effective, if everyone arrives at roughly the same time.

Actually yes, the speed is rather important. If for instance you have the tanky HBK-4SPs, you'll went them leading the charge. If the rest of the mechs in the company are not fast enough to overtake the -4SPs, then the -4SPs will die on their own in the front. They should be just about the slowest mech on the field if you're doing an organised medium brawl.

Edited by Tarogato, 11 January 2017 - 07:20 PM.

#349 KinLuu

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:54 PM

It seems we have different ideas about this question.

I am sure both ways are viable, so it is no big deal.

#350 goatreich

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 101 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:46 AM

Risking making an *** of myself but is there a good Victor build for FW? It has nice mobility and now sports Atlas class armour,main weakness being dependance on XL engines it's a shame to waste an iconic mech. Thoughts?

#351 Starbomber109

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 255 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:25 PM

View Postgoatreich, on 12 January 2017 - 04:46 AM, said:

Risking making an *** of myself but is there a good Victor build for FW? It has nice mobility and now sports Atlas class armour,main weakness being dependance on XL engines it's a shame to waste an iconic mech. Thoughts?

The short answer: Not really

The long answer: That mech has no builds that I can find that seem to work with the 'speed limit' most of us like to have for FW (which tends to be about 70 kph.) However, the Victor can get to that speed pretty easy, the trouble is the lack of hardpoints. VTR-9K <-That's the best I could come up with, as you can see, it lacks amo for the Gauss Rifle (20 shots is low). Maybe I could upgrade to Ferro....but that eats up all my open slots then I can't fit ANY amo. Maybe I could drop the engine down....which is probably what I would do if I was dead set on running it.

Granted, the Victor is fast, and the armor buffs made it slightly tougher, but it will always have the problem of being undergunned compared to it's competitors at 75 tons. 70-65 tons is way easier to work with in a drop-deck loadout. When you start talking about assault mechs, you have to make one of your later drops weaker, so that assault mech better be damn worth it (Like an Atlas or a Battlemaster) Not to mention the fact that all it's weapons are in the arms, so if you shield you lose a lot of firepower. The Victor just isn't worth the opportunity cost of tonnage spent. I'm really sorry Posted Image

PS: If anyone actually owns a Victor and is better at mech-fu than me, feel free to give this guy a build that doesn't suck, I'm lost on this one.

Edited by Starbomber109, 12 January 2017 - 03:27 PM.

#352 Virlutris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 977 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:58 PM

View PostStarbomber109, on 12 January 2017 - 03:25 PM, said:

The short answer: Not really

The long answer: That mech has no builds that I can find that seem to work with the 'speed limit' most of us like to have for FW (which tends to be about 70 kph.) However, the Victor can get to that speed pretty easy, the trouble is the lack of hardpoints. VTR-9K &lt;-That's the best I could come up with, as you can see, it lacks amo for the Gauss Rifle (20 shots is low). Maybe I could upgrade to Ferro....but that eats up all my open slots then I can't fit ANY amo. Maybe I could drop the engine down....which is probably what I would do if I was dead set on running it.

Granted, the Victor is fast, and the armor buffs made it slightly tougher, but it will always have the problem of being undergunned compared to it's competitors at 75 tons. 70-65 tons is way easier to work with in a drop-deck loadout. When you start talking about assault mechs, you have to make one of your later drops weaker, so that assault mech better be damn worth it (Like an Atlas or a Battlemaster) Not to mention the fact that all it's weapons are in the arms, so if you shield you lose a lot of firepower. The Victor just isn't worth the opportunity cost of tonnage spent. I'm really sorry Posted Image

PS: If anyone actually owns a Victor and is better at mech-fu than me, feel free to give this guy a build that doesn't suck, I'm lost on this one.

Passable, though not for FRR coordinated deck drops:

VTR-9S WITH AC20, 2xSRM6, 1x SRM4. It'll do 69.7kph with the stock standard 320 engine and speed tweak. It goes much faster and picks up a couple MLs if you risk the XL engine.

#353 Starbomber109

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 255 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:54 PM

A question about light mechs. The locust is kinda in a tier of it's own (I know it's in tier 2 but it is special because it's the lightest mech, and one of the fastest.) but about the 35 ton lights, specifically, the Raven. Is there a significant difference between the Raven and the other 35t IS lights? Obviously you'd only ever use 1 light in a drop, is there really that big a difference between a Raven4X and some other 35 ton light mech like a Jenner 7K with the same weapons (3x LL)? Do those 'other lights' like the wolfhound and the jenner deserve to be that much lower than the Raven? I know one of the reasons is the insane quirks that the raven has but a light mech is not gonna be that useful across all maps/modes, and the Raven is slower than both the Jenner and the Wolfhound (though the wolfhound can't jump)

#354 KinLuu

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,807 posts

Posted Today, 01:51 AM

If we are talking about the 3x LLas or 2x ERLLas builds, which are poking builds, the most important differences between the Raven and the other 35 ton options are:

1. Quirks

2. Front profile

3. Hitboxes

4. Hardpoint locations

And the Raven has a clear advantage in at least three areas over all other 35 ton options. So, if you want to bring a poking light, you should bring a Raven.

Now, if you want to bring a brawly or a backstabby light, it is a completely different question.

And let us be honest, outside of conquest, with 265 tons total there is little reason to bring a light at all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users