416 replies to this topic

#361 Starbomber109

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 387 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:58 PM

View Post4EVR, on 01 February 2017 - 11:32 AM, said:

You can fit 2 extra heat sinks on that build with ferro, e.g.

GHR-5N Std300 Asym Pulse

Posted Image

Ah my bad. I hardly ever use ferro so I didn't even think to check, thx.

#362 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 March 2017 - 01:37 PM

View Postnehebkau, on 24 January 2017 - 07:31 PM, said:

I have a problem with our build recommendations. Specifically those that have an XL engine. I am going to be a bit of a jerk, but XL engines should only be used by players who are very good. And by very good I mean players who have other players comment on how good they are, not players who just think they are very good.

We should have standard engine builds that are what 90% of the population should use and the Super-advanced builds that the competitive and outstanding players use. I have seen too many players in FW using these builds that have XL engines yet have no understanding on how to protect themselves from losing a side torso. If we are going to post builds they should take into consideration the average skill of the player who is going to look at them.

Honestly, I think these builds with XL engines are doing more harm than good for the FRR and IS in general, most players are not Tarogato. Most players don't have the skills necessary to make an XL engine build work for them.

Seriously, if you stick an average driver in an F1 race car and tell them to go, expect to be peeling them off of a lamp-post 100m down the road.

I want to agree with you. But the problem is, most IS mechs simply aren't competitive with Clans unless you go for the XL. Either you are sacrificing speed, or cooling, or firepower itself. And you really need all of those things in the current meta.

Recommending STD engine builds for mechs that typically run XL (like Warhammers, Grasshoppers and such) would be like sticking the average driver in a Jeep Cherokee, and asking them to race against a MacLaren F1 GTR. And ignoring the fact that there was a nice Porche 911 GT1 sitting there invitingly, just waiting to be used. Sure, maybe the average driver won't be able to handle the Porche and they might embarrass themselves in it, but what even is the point of putting them in the Jeep instead if they are supposed to be competing with the MacLaren?

That said, there are some mechs that can handle the STD and still compete with Clans. BLR could be an example of this.

Edited by Tarogato, 03 March 2017 - 01:38 PM.

#363 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 March 2017 - 04:47 PM

I've been a bit lax in keeping this sheet updated and watching the thread, but it seems like I haven't missed anything. I haven't been playing IS mechs much, so I'm starting to lose touch with their builds. If anybody has suggestions or recommendations, please post and discuss here. If you quote me in your post I will be notified and won't miss it.

#364 Sarsaparilla Kid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 664 posts
  • LocationGold Country

Posted 04 March 2017 - 06:54 PM

View PostTarogato, on 03 March 2017 - 04:47 PM, said:

I've been a bit lax in keeping this sheet updated and watching the thread, but it seems like I haven't missed anything. I haven't been playing IS mechs much, so I'm starting to lose touch with their builds. If anybody has suggestions or recommendations, please post and discuss here. If you quote me in your post I will be notified and won't miss it.

Thanks, Tarogato...I'm thinking at this point it won't do much good to get excited about reworking the spreadsheet until the new Skill Trees drop and quirks change for each chassis, as well as the decoupling of mobility quirks with engine size. Has anyone checked out the PTS since they brought it back up? I guess even if we went and tested the heck out of the IS mechs in PTS, there is the possibility of more changes incoming before they go live. I did check out the new weapon tree, and to me it says "just keep boating lasers".

#365 Kotis77

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • General
  • General
  • 245 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:53 PM

ok i read last 3 pages of this topic...

heres my advices to new and old players...

first is you gotta put xl engines on most of IS builds. the thing is that you need firepower and speed fight with clans, but main thing that bigger engines got better torsotwist speed than slow *** standard engines... you neen that torsotwist speed to cover your torsos. and with xl engines you learn to torsotwist fast or you die fast... I run almost every IS mech with biggest xl engine or 10-15 lower than max engine rating... (except thunderbolt, some maulers, griffin 3M etc... which are good with std)

second thing is most of mechs have weapons on left torso. thats visual right... aim for that always... (i go for CT, cos i wanna kill enemies fast) so shooting mechs visual right cripples them or kills them if they use IS xl... and as for clan mechs they will lose most of their weapons and cripples them with heat/movement penalty..

third thing is... you gotta move always... learn to shoot and move same time.. that is very hard, but i will make enemies miss more than standing target... if you trade with enemies and you are losing trades, CHANGE position instantly.. you gotta change position many times in match... dont just peek same hole many times...

fourth thing is aiming... only way to get good is practice and lots of it... you can get some help with good settings and hardware... check your windows settings that mouse pointer speed is 6/11 and disable enhance pointer precision... next change mwo settings. i use 0.2 sensitivity and smooth and acceleration is 0... my mouse dpi is 1800.. change that too if you can... and try diffrent settings that work on you... buy good mouse and mouse pad if you can afford it. it will pay you back in aiming accuracy... i use razor deathadder mouse and razor vespula pad...

fifth thing... mech loadout... i know many of guys dont wanna play "meta" but most of good players play meta loadouts and only way to fight them is you use meta too... and as for loadouts you should bring back armor to minimum... that will be up to you how much you want... i use 2-5 back armor on my mechs... you die about 80% times from front so its not necessary to keep up that much back armor

sixth thing... play every mech that you can.. only way to learn their weakness. example most of torsomounted assaults cant shoot locust if locust is straight in their face... so IS guys play clan mechs too

i think thats it... or dont remember more this time... ask if you got some questions

i have vids up in my youtube account... you can check them out and see how i play...

https://www.youtube....GIHqXaemZYUQ1xw

Edited by Kotis77, 08 March 2017 - 07:07 AM.

#366 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 March 2017 - 04:51 PM

View PostKotis77, on 06 March 2017 - 01:53 PM, said:

you can get some help with good settings and hardware... check your windows settings that mouse pointer speed is 6/11 and disable enhance pointer precision...

Just a wee note... these two windows settings have zero impact on MWO. I have tested this rather extensively, feel free to test it yourself. I have observed no difference.

#367 Kotis77

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • General
  • General
  • 245 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:11 AM

ok good to know... i always assumed that would affect mwo...

#368 naterist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 1,724 posts
  • Location7th circle of hell

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:12 PM

[smurfy]http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b5e5db9aaa93785[/smurfy]

i do pretty good in this, and the high mounts are good for the ppc poptarting, which is fun if your poptarting in this thing like a rabbit on crack in spring goin 104 and jumpin outta everybuilding in the city twice a minute. runs hot though, but if they get in your face the smalls are good for finishing off opponents who got opened up as they closed with you, without being way too hot, or heavy. also good backups if the ppc's get critted, which happens more often then youd like... still good and fun though.

[smurfy]http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6064caf597e2ace[/smurfy]

and this marauder for your standerd engine needs. great mech once you get speed tweak. you can also lower the engine rating so your speeds like, 70.2 or something and through in a heatsink, more ammo, and a tiny bit of armor(or was it less, i forget). beautiful mech if you can shield a specific torso well. especially good second wave when the enemy already has at least a couple mechs that are already damaged or more likely, opened up side torsos or cts that this thing tears apart. first wave... its less effective, just cause it works best as a finisher and a damage dealer second.

Edited by naterist, 08 March 2017 - 10:20 PM.

#369 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:53 AM

View PostKotis77, on 06 March 2017 - 01:53 PM, said:

ok i read last 3 pages of this topic...

heres my advices to new and old players...

first is you gotta put xl engines on most of IS builds. the thing is that you need firepower and speed fight with clans, but main thing that bigger engines got better torsotwist speed than slow *** standard engines... you neen that torsotwist speed to cover your torsos. and with xl engines you learn to torsotwist fast or you die fast... I run almost every IS mech with biggest xl engine or 10-15 lower than max engine rating... (except thunderbolt, some maulers, griffin 3M etc... which are good with std)

100% agree.

You wanna run IS, you gotta run XL. IS quite simply takes more skill to pilot. You absolutely must must torso twist constantly and spread damage and never face-tank/stare at a target.

You do this, you will live long and prosper.

#370 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:48 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 09 March 2017 - 12:53 AM, said:

You wanna run IS, you gotta run XL. IS quite simply takes more skill to pilot. You absolutely must must torso twist constantly and spread damage and never face-tank/stare at a target.

You do this, you will live long and prosper.

Posted Image

Edited by Tarogato, 09 March 2017 - 03:49 PM.

#371 Rydiak Randborir

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Kapten
  • Kapten
  • 103 posts
  • LocationJarnfolk Cluster

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:57 PM

July 18th is a looooooong ways away, but I can't wait for LFE!

#372 razor32

• Pip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 06:01 AM

the strongest deck you can currently run is battlemaster, Warhammer*2, cicada 2b.

#373 naterist

• Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 1,724 posts
  • Location7th circle of hell

Posted 31 March 2017 - 03:57 PM

View Postrazor32, on 31 March 2017 - 06:01 AM, said:

the strongest deck you can currently run is battlemaster, Warhammer*2, cicada 2b.

Been doin well in a banshee 3m 5lplxl380

Battlemaster 4 lpl xl 380

Griffin 2n-srm brawl

Assassin-cicada with whatevers on em.... dont normally need the 40tonner.

#374 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:09 PM

My current CW deck is
2x Battlemaster 2C w/ 5lpl
Grasshopper 5H w/ 4 lpl
a locust 1E w/ 6smpl

I have an alternate deck I use for organized pushing
Atlas S with 4SRM6 Art and AC20
Grasshopper 5H with 4lpl
Grasshopper 5H with 3lpl and 4med lsr
locust 1E with 6smpl

Edited by Windscape, 12 April 2017 - 10:11 PM.

#375 HolyMoly23

Rookie

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:21 AM

Hey guys

Sorry if this is a stupid question...

Is the document on the the main post, kept up to date?

I assuming it is however I just wanna make sure before I make some major adjustments to my mechs.

#376 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:31 AM

View PostPlazmadawg, on 17 April 2017 - 10:21 AM, said:

Hey guys

Sorry if this is a stupid question...

Is the document on the the main post, kept up to date?

I assuming it is however I just wanna make sure before I make some major adjustments to my mechs.

I do not believe so. Moreover, even if it is, you may want to hold off with any "major adjustments" until the skills tree drops. Many of the IS mechs are going to be hit hard with offensive nerfs and many inexplicably are not. So even if the data is current, what they recommend today may very well be different next month (assuming skills tree survives the next PTS later this month).

#377 LordLeto

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 104 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:40 AM

It's relatively up to date. There's been no earth shattering changes since the current iteration was put out and those mech and builds will do you good in the current FW environment. It doesn't take into account the increased tonnage for IS, but that just means you can bring a beefier medium mech.

So the only addendum to those decks I would suggest is replacing the 40 ton or less mech with 55 ton one. When ISEN does it's Friday Night drops they request fast heavies(75+ Kph) and a brawl medium.

Bud Crues caveat about the skill tree is worth listening to however. That has to potential to be earth shattering for IS drop decks so I would avoid spending real money until things shake out. Throw on top that the new tech during the summer(hopefully) can change things a whole bunch as well.

#378 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:44 AM

Like Bud and LL said.

Unless you've already got 200 mechs and the adjustment is a trivial shuffling of equipment and maybe an XL engine purchase, I'd hold off until 1) skill tree, and maybe 2) NewTech.

If you're extra-very unsatisfied with your deck's performance, and desperate for a improved performance, at least wait for the skill tree.

As for the current spreadsheet, I run GHR-5P(5xLL), GHR-5H(LPL+ML), WHM-6?(LPL+ML), SHD-2D2(LB10+SMR4s). It performs quite ably for me even in shorter FP drops, generally somewhere between 1k-2k depending on whether my group runs into a buzzsaw, or is the buzzsaw.

Edited by Virlutris, 17 April 2017 - 10:48 AM.

#379 HolyMoly23

Rookie

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 10:53 AM

Thanks for all the responses guys.

I have taken note of all of them,

View PostBud Crue, on 17 April 2017 - 10:31 AM, said:

I do not believe so. Moreover, even if it is, you may want to hold off with any "major adjustments" until the skills tree drops. Many of the IS mechs are going to be hit hard with offensive nerfs and many inexplicably are not. So even if the data is current, what they recommend today may very well be different next month (assuming skills tree survives the next PTS later this month).

These are the current mechs I have:

Cicada (Preferred model CDA-3F L)
Black Jack (Preferred model BJ-1 & BJ-3)
Locust (Preferred model LCT-E)

Currently mastering my Marauder (Preferred model MAD-3R)

I was quite worried about the document as none of my mechs meet the standard. But wouldn't that render the document useless?

I have been getting into faction warfare quite heavily in the last week or so and doing the research into it. Also tired of people giving me comments on selecting a BJ-1.

Edited by Plazmadawg, 17 April 2017 - 10:56 AM.

#380 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 17 April 2017 - 11:02 AM

View PostPlazmadawg, on 17 April 2017 - 10:53 AM, said:

Thanks for all the responses guys.

I have taken note of all of them,

These are the current mechs I have:

Cicada (Preferred model CDA-3F L)
Black Jack (Preferred model BJ-1 & BJ-3)
Locust (Preferred model LCT-E)

Currently mastering my Marauder (Preferred model MAD-3R)

I was quite worried about the document as none of my mechs meet the standard. But wouldn't that render the document useless?

I have been getting into faction warfare quite heavily in the last week or so and doing the research into it. Also tired of people giving me comments on selecting a BJ-1.

I'd honestly PM one of the ISEN guys (Tarogato). I am in no position to give mech or build advice. Alternatively log on the the TS channel (or is it discord now?) and see if anyone in the longships can give you recommendations.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users