40 replies to this topic

#1 Tickdoff Tank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,647 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 04 March 2016 - 06:50 PM

Just a quick note to those that make use of the in-game voice chat: If the only time I hear your voice is after you are dead and complaining that the team sucked.... You really need to keep your mouth shut. Just like you did for the entire time you were alive.

I understand that not everyone uses voice chat, for a lot of reasons, that does not bother me. I also have little issue with people that "TRY" to herd the cats and get frustrated. I understand, I really do.

I usually start a match with "Hello all" or something similar, call out target locations, ask where the assaults are planning to go (so that the team can meet up with them), call out targets to focus fire, announce when an enemy mech is in the open for LRMs and generally try to be the type of teammate that I would like to have with me.

If you have nothing to say at the beginning of the match, fine. If you have nothing to say once mechs start blowing up, fine. If you never say anything, fine and dandy. But, if you finally open your mouth, for the first time, to say "What a bunch of idiots, we lost because you are all stupid." or "That plan was horrible, only an idiot would try that in a match full of idiot PUGS" or even "I got killed because none of you a-holes supported me, why would you leave me to die like that?" (note that this player was about 4 grids away from the team and had not said anything despite 2 people telling him that he was too far from us in an assault mech)------Why are you just now speaking? If you think what the team is doing is stupid (and it probably is), SAY SOMETHING. If you do not even attempt to communicate with you team, THEN DO NOT COMPLAN ABOUT THE LACK OF COMMUNICATION.

#2 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 04 March 2016 - 07:11 PM

Mute and report you have the tools to take care of the issue. At the very least if you have to post on the forums about issues with other players please make it clear in the topic.

#3 Tickdoff Tank

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,647 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 04 March 2016 - 07:22 PM

It has never been offensive enough for me to feel right reporting it. It is not like they were frothing at the mouth and hurling the f-bomb every other word. And it is not just a couple of players. I see this quite often. I am only a tier 3, but I actually DO try and work with the group as much as the group will let me. And let me be clear: many, many people try to work with the group, try to communicate with team members and relay important information. My issue is only with the people that do not communicate AT ALL, and then complain after they are dead that the group is terrible and we did not support them, did not do something they thought we should do, failed to do something they thought was obvious, or worst of all, they complain that we lost because of a lack of communication.... as I said in my OP, if you do not try and communicate, then do not complain about the lack of communication.

#4 xXBagheeraXx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 07:26 PM

MWO is literally the only game i even have text chat turned on.....Only because its usually one of the friendlier chats with nice banter from the enemy team from time to time.

You couldn't pay me enough to turn on voice coms. But honestly the only time i get salty is when i get nascar'd and left behind or they run AWAY from the primary engagement....

Other than that its just "GG, Close" on those 12-0 defeats I get.

#5 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 04 March 2016 - 07:28 PM

View PostTickdoff Tank, on 04 March 2016 - 07:22 PM, said:

It has never been offensive enough for me to feel right reporting it. It is not like they were frothing at the mouth and hurling the f-bomb every other word. And it is not just a couple of players. I see this quite often. I am only a tier 3, but I actually DO try and work with the group as much as the group will let me. And let me be clear: many, many people try to work with the group, try to communicate with team members and relay important information. My issue is only with the people that do not communicate AT ALL, and then complain after they are dead that the group is terrible and we did not support them, did not do something they thought we should do, failed to do something they thought was obvious, or worst of all, they complain that we lost because of a lack of communication.... as I said in my OP, if you do not try and communicate, then do not complain about the lack of communication.

Reporting someone isn't going to get them banned for life. The most that is going to happen to them is a couple day ban if they do this often enough to keep getting reported. I have seen a few people get this and after they got banned they did clean up. It is our job to keep our community clean to a standard. To do this every should use the report system often.

#6 Tickdoff Tank

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,647 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 04 March 2016 - 07:35 PM

I understand that, but it takes a LOT for me to report someone. I am not the type to run to the boss to complain about a co-worker that is less that nice to me. If I report someone (and I have, just not many) it is because they have done something that, to me, is beyond the pale. Not just that they were bit*hing in chat.

#7 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 04 March 2016 - 07:47 PM

View PostTickdoff Tank, on 04 March 2016 - 07:35 PM, said:

I understand that, but it takes a LOT for me to report someone. I am not the type to run to the boss to complain about a co-worker that is less that nice to me. If I report someone (and I have, just not many) it is because they have done something that, to me, is beyond the pale. Not just that they were bit*hing in chat.

I understand i seen people call my faction members some awful stuff and they wouldn't report it. Just to say if its enough for you to come here and make a topic than it was a issue with you playing the game. Im sure pgi doesn't want people stop playing or playing less often because some players feel its ok to start calling everyone idiots or worst in most the cases.

Dont forget in real life people wouldnt say these things or they would get smacked in the head. I really want to see more people using the report system because i dont see this getting any better until they do.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 04 March 2016 - 07:52 PM.

#8 Rycard

• PipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 08:06 PM

I disable voice chat just to avoid all the angry people. Losing coordination with the team is worth it just to avoided getting verbally abused.

#9 Tickdoff Tank

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,647 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 04 March 2016 - 08:11 PM

I was just in a match, I started with my usual "Hello everyone", then asked "How do we want to play this?" We were on Polar, so I elaborated thusly "Do we want to move to H9/H8 and look for contact as usual, or hole up in I10 where there is some cover, or does someone else have an idea?" One person responded with something like "I will scout ahead along the H line and call contacts for LRMs." I said "Excellent, lets all move to the H line, find some cover and see what the scout finds" Immediately after that, in text, I see "Shut your pie hole, no one wants a leader in a PUG match" (or something to that effect), so I said "Copy that, shutting up" and did not say another word.

#10 Beaching Betty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 710 posts
  • Location-

Posted 04 March 2016 - 08:12 PM

View PostRycard, on 04 March 2016 - 08:06 PM, said:

I disable voice chat just to avoid all the angry people. Losing coordination with the team is worth it just to avoided getting verbally abused.

You must have one fragile heart eh?

#11 Kanil

• 1,068 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 08:21 PM

View PostBeaching Betty, on 04 March 2016 - 08:12 PM, said:

You must have one fragile heart eh?

I dunno, not enjoying being called racial slurs just sort of seems like common sense to me?

#12 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 04 March 2016 - 08:37 PM

View PostTickdoff Tank, on 04 March 2016 - 08:11 PM, said:

I was just in a match, I started with my usual "Hello everyone", then asked "How do we want to play this?" We were on Polar, so I elaborated thusly "Do we want to move to H9/H8 and look for contact as usual, or hole up in I10 where there is some cover, or does someone else have an idea?" One person responded with something like "I will scout ahead along the H line and call contacts for LRMs." I said "Excellent, lets all move to the H line, find some cover and see what the scout finds" Immediately after that, in text, I see "Shut your pie hole, no one wants a leader in a PUG match" (or something to that effect), so I said "Copy that, shutting up" and did not say another word.

I wouldn't say you needed to shut up for the rest of the match there, but it is possible to give people an earful while they're just trying to play some matches, especially in the case where somebody else might want to talk but comms are going off because somebody keeps jabbering repeatedly.

It doesn't hurt to call out enemy locations or to check on teammates (especially in the case of idiot assaults that stray way behind and not even because the team abandoned them) or whatever else that involves brief & concise communication, but if you find yourself filling the silence with your voice then you're talking way too much, and doubly so if people are getting an earful while trying to focus on shooting the enemy.

Edited by Pjwned, 04 March 2016 - 08:42 PM.

#13 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:48 PM

View PostTickdoff Tank, on 04 March 2016 - 08:11 PM, said:

should have just suggested HE use his mute option and kept calling. That's what I do. They don't want to listen to it they have the mute options. I'm not going to let one dbag like that dictate how I play the game

#14 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:56 PM

View PostSandpit, on 04 March 2016 - 09:48 PM, said:

should have just suggested HE use his mute option and kept calling. That's what I do. They don't want to listen to it they have the mute options.

It's possible other people felt similarly but just didn't bother saying anything else. How many annoyed teammates does it take before you consider "gee, maybe I'm talking too much."

I'm not going to let one dbag like that dictate how I play the game

So somebody is a dbag that dictates how you play the game because they're not thrilled about somebody else (you) dictating how they play the game over voice comms.

Irony much?

#15 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:59 PM

View PostPjwned, on 04 March 2016 - 09:56 PM, said:

It's possible other people felt similarly but just didn't bother saying anything else. How many annoyed teammates does it take before you consider "gee, maybe I'm talking too much."

So somebody is a dbag that dictates how you play the game because they're not thrilled about somebody else (you) dictating how they play the game over voice comms.

Irony much?

uh huh
please show me where he was "talking too much?"

you have a mute option, that's what it's for
period

and the fact that you think someone tgrying to offer target locations and drop call is "dictating" anything speaks volumes

that's true irony

#16 Beaching Betty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 710 posts
  • Location-

Posted 04 March 2016 - 10:01 PM

View PostKanil, on 04 March 2016 - 08:21 PM, said:

I dunno, not enjoying being called racial slurs just sort of seems like common sense to me?

Whatever floats your aeroplane Posted Image

#17 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 04 March 2016 - 10:04 PM

I have voice chat on 100% of the time because if you're in the robot, you should be dedicated to your team. 100% participation or quit the game is how I see it.

#18 Benjamin357

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 82 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 10:04 PM

Excellent point. Had some genius die in the first minute tonight and complain that the Arctic Cheetah did not rotate around within a 90 meter radius of him all round, thats why he died to LRMs, ha. So many complainers after death.

#19 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 04 March 2016 - 10:05 PM

View PostMister Blastman, on 04 March 2016 - 10:04 PM, said:

I have voice chat on 100% of the time because if you're in the robot, you should be dedicated to your team. 100% participation or quit the game is how I see it.

you can still mute individual players as opposed to having it turned off completely

#20 SQW

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 10:36 PM

You guys do know you can turn off individual voip right? Way to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users