Occupied city (Roleplaying-story telling)

250 replies to this topic

#41 Brenden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:48 PM

(( I'm going to bed now, enjoy.)

#42 VEDRFOLNIR

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationMidwest USA

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:49 PM

Eiko froze when the BattleMech pointed its' weapons at her - sudden, immense panic rooted her to the spot. Then it turned away, and Eiko took several trembling steps toward the boy on the ground, holding his arm in obvious pain. 'Get up!' she yelled as she stumbled to his side. 'Quickly, lean on me!' He yelped in pain as she forced him to his feet. 'Ni kuru, kuru!' she yelled, falling into her native Japanese in her panic. As the lasers and flamers roared behind them, Eiko and the youngster stumbled back into the bar.

((fuguzawaz, if I'm taking too many liberties here in getting your butt into the bar, just let me know and I'll change this entry))

Edited by VEDRFOLNIR, 12 December 2011 - 09:52 PM.

#43 Orcinus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 346 posts
  • LocationYour Left Flank

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:37 PM

Forgive me, Grandmother…
Furukawa repeated to himself, laying the unconscious DCMS soldier amongst the rubble. The unfortunate individual had simply separated from his squad to take a leak. Allowing him to perform his business, Furukawa struck the man on the back of the head as he was fumbling with his uniform. Taking every C-bill he could find, he quickly made himself scarce.
A huge explosion far ahead interrupted his thoughts; a bright red cloud slowly rose from the city’s backdrop. Before his mind could register what had happened, he was running.
He made his way into a series of alleys, attempting to gauge the general direction of his destination from the smoke clouds that he could barely make out. He sidestepped to avoid the entrance to the sewers.
"What the-!?"
Furukawa sidestepped again to avoid a man running towards him. In doing so, however, he collided into another man that was following behind.
The hood of his faded grey cloak slipped off, revealing his face and his hair, uncut for weeks.
Recovering, Furukawa found himself standing in front the first man. Short, blond hair. Thick beard. Some five inches taller, but similarly built. Numerous scars showed that the man had as much, if not more, experience with combat. To make matters worse, the man's eyes reflected a certain hostility towards those working for the Combine—or those who would appear as such.
((EDIT: I need to read other posts more closely.))

Edited by Orcinus, 12 December 2011 - 11:06 PM.

#44 Kevin Kirov

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:33 PM

"Wow..." said Kavin in awe watching the mech battle unfold infront of him from a window. "I never really imagined it would look like this."
Breaking off a pair of bar stool legs Kavin rushes over to the boy. "Give me your arm," he commanded, as gently as drunk could. "I learned how to do this in Basic." He began to cut peices of his coat into strips and fashioned a makeshift splint.
Turning to Eiko, Kavin stared and said "I know terror when I see it lassie, I know you have no love for these dogs." "Well I don't like them either" Pulling out a small data card from his pocket he showed it to her. "This is my DCMS militia record, I was dismissed two weeks ago for killing two officers in a brawl. They attacked my heritage, family and honor. I came to serve as a Battlemech pilot, they said I was too young, cocky and had no experience. I'm still better than all these fools and nothing was given to me. My family has been repressed by the DCMS for ages, I'm only here for the pay, and that was sh-ite too. I was assigned to a Tornado battle armor squad and given a Mauser 960 Assault System weapon and this laser pistol. I've read the files...So are you?" He whispered the last part

#45 CaveMan

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationIn a leather flying cap and goggles

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:54 AM

((Sorry I missed out on the action, guys. I was rebuilding my primary computer today and it took all damn day. Had to replace the motherboard (caught fire), power supply (caused the fire) and CPU (got burned up). Probably take most of the day tomorrow too because I've got to reinstall the OS and update everything. Just glad I've got this laptop or I'd be boned.))

I was assigned to a Tornado battle armor squad

((Isn't 3039 too early for battle armor?))

#46 CaveMan

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 02:08 AM

When the shooting started, Jason jumped from his barstool, rolled across the floor and took cover against an interior wall. He twisted the handle of his umbrella, revealing a concealed, short-barreled break-action shotgun. He remained in his corner until the fighting outside went quiet, shotgun at the ready, but trying to avoid detection.

When the 'Mech battle ended, he stood up and dusted off. Half explaining and half apologizing for his inaction, he said (to whoever might be listening, but mostly to reassure himself):

"I used to run infantry sweeps in my Stinger when I was with the Lancers. I hated it. Once you've seen firsthand what 'Mech weapons will do to a person... You don't want to get in the way of that. It's not pretty."

#47 Orcinus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 346 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:33 AM

View PostCaveMan, on 13 December 2011 - 01:54 AM, said:

((Isn't 3039 too early for battle armor?))

((
It hasn't been around especially long, but it's there
))

#48 Brenden

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:41 AM

The sound of sirens and hard rain began to filll the air, and the Shadow Hawk took a step back and turned. Upon looking down the street behind it, it saw five MP cruisers, two helicopters with lights blazing and something else behind them. A Jenner, colored a deep black with the only other sign of color being the points where the lasers would come out. This was a different version of the Jenner, using an SRM-6 Rack instead of a 4 by taking it's Medium lasers and swapping them for Smalls. Even though it was a few hundred meters away, and out of range of those lasers the rockets, however, would be able to hit him. Bracing for disater, the Shadow Hawk raised it's left arm and opened fire as well as from the machine gun on it's head. Two bright red beams blossomed from it's wrists, striking and uprooting the asphalt infront of the MP cars. Swirving too avoid a disater, they all crashed sideways into the now bent upward street, while the helicopters were suddenly peppered by a .45 calibur machine gun.

One of the helicopters pulled out, while one made an emergancy landing behind the MP's cars whilst the last one flew head long toward the 'mech. Raising it's right arm and pointing the barrel down too the face the mechanical bird, firing once and not caring if it hit or not. It did, in the side and since this was nothing more then a police helicopter it's entire left side was burned, boiled and broiled from the passing laser and causing it to sputter and explode out of control. It began to turn toward the Empty Stein, and smashed onto the roof and began to slide - it's blades cutting into it and exposing it's occupants too the rain through a narrow slit. Suddenly, it hit the chimney and flipped into the air, landing behind the bar with a loud thud.

Turning back to face the Jenner, who had taken a stratigic position on a three story building, the Shadow Hawk raised a hand and procceded to show the Jenner the Finger. Upon enraging the Jenner, who was now in Small Laser Range, the pilot fired all four beams at once - while two missed both smacked into the chest and knocked it back a foot or so. Turning tail too lead the Pilot out of Maybury street, the pilot of the Shadow Hawk crouched and suddenly lept clear into the air. Just as it seemed it was going to come down it activated it's Jumpjets and proceeded to rocket it's way down the rest of Maybury, the Jenner in hot pursuit.

#49 VEDRFOLNIR

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationMidwest USA

Posted 13 December 2011 - 02:58 PM

Eiko looked up at Kavin, then knelt down by the boy, holding the wooden splints in place as Kavin began wrapping his arm. 'I'm no soldier,' she said, 'but I have lived here my entire life. Since the DCMS buta arrived, I have lost friends, been shunned by those who should know better, and I and my mother have been left to rot. Yes,' she finished, 'I know something of how you feel.' She gave him a piercing look. 'I am not part of the resistance,' Eiko whispered, understanding (or so she thought) the point of Kavin's last question.

She looked over at Jason, having heard his explanation, and nodded. 'Yes, what a BattleMech can do to a person is horrible to see.'

Edited by VEDRFOLNIR, 13 December 2011 - 06:46 PM.

#50 CaveMan

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:18 PM

Jason ducked instinctively as the helicopter blades chopped through the roof.

"Jesus," he whistled as rain leaked through the gap and spattered his face. "How do they put up with this?"

He poked his head out the bar's door and watched the Shadow Hawk retreat with the Combine Jenner in trail.

"Idiots," whispered Jason. "What was that damn fool raid supposed to accomplish? Putting that valuable LosTech 'Mech at risk to kill one lousy Firestarter. *******'s lucky he didn't run into an Atlas."

Jason turned around, seemingly noticing the injured local boy for the first time.

"How bad is the kid hurt?"

#51 Kevin Kirov

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:47 PM

With the adrenaline leaving his body, the alcohol began to wear off as well.
"Dam, what the heck was that?" after the crash rocked the building.

"Whatever you say lady, let me know if you need a real mech and a pilot." With a wink

"The kid will be fine, just a broken arm, probablly needs a real hospital thought, I only can do so much here."

Pulling out his laser pistol, Kavin looks over at the 6 DCMS looking goons and opens fire, killing three before they were able to stand and raise what they have. "Basta**s"

Edited by Kevin Kirov, 13 December 2011 - 05:47 PM.

#52 Orcinus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 346 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:37 PM

A series of gunshots, followed in quick succession by a shout. Furukawa turned his head just slightly to the left.
"GO!"
In an instant, the blond man shoved him backwards with surprising force. The impact of the fall knocked the wind out of him. In the split second his eyes clenched, the men slipped out of view.
Picking himself back up, Furukawa looked around. No one in sight.
Who--?
No matter. Chasing after them is a lost cause.
He turned.
Those gunshots came from the same direction as the smoke...
Pulling the cloak's hood back over his head, Furukawa resumed his sprint.

Edited by Orcinus, 13 December 2011 - 06:41 PM.

#53 VEDRFOLNIR

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationMidwest USA

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:52 PM

Eiko cursed and covered her head with her arms (again) as wood splintered above her. The sounds of battle outside were suddenly punctuated by the massive roar of a BattleMech's JumpJets firing. The light flared in the room, streaming through the windows for a few moments. She then looked up, and saw the damage in the roof.

Kavin fired several shots toward the intruders, and three immediately pitched over. Eiko looked over at the Bartender. 'Bryan, help me move him to safety!' Bryan jumped over the bar and rushed over to her. He picked up the boy as gently as possible, and moved him behind the bar. Eiko helped him slide the boy onto one of the empty shelves under the bar, so he would be safe from falling debris.

#54 Brenden

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:15 PM

All the while the fighting inside was loud and vivasious as ever, outside was a different story: The rain had became a torrent and was begining to flood the streets when suddenly there was a loud explosion: The ground heaved, windows shattered from it's shockwave and gusts of smoke erupted into the air. The Shadow Hawk has destroyed the Jenner, taking it by surprise by powering down while on a ten story building and then suddenly activating, firing all it's SRMs and Firing it's Medium lasers rapidly after the rockets had made their point. The Jenner skidded forward along the asphalt, the Pilot ejecting in a small pod high into the air before the 'mech could go critical from it's internal ammo explosion. Seeing the light 'mech begining too glow, the Shadow Hawk turned down too Maybury street and began to high-tail it - jumping by forcing it's legs to crouch and leap before using it's jets. After gaining about 730 meters of distance the Jenner exploded in a bright red and white blast that consumed the intersection that it was all and all buildings within around 200-400 meters.

Both the bar and the Shadow Hawk were well out of it's blast radius, but the resulting shockwave knocked the medium out of the air as it landed, chest first, into a runned down and destroyed appartment building. After a few moments, the 'mech got up to reveal it was at 82.94% strength, and that more units were pressing onward. Looking around, the 'mech saw that the large cloud that was left behind by the Jenner would alert more DCMS and quickly ran out of the building as fast it could. Turning too the intersection that lead to Maybury, the Shadow Hawk suddenly detected the presence of more units: Four helicopters and three light 'mechs. Upon scanning further, they were brought up on his moniter as Hermes IIs lead by a Panther. Not wanting a confrontation like this again, the battlemech ran toward the Empty Stein, jumped up and rocketed well above it, landing on the destroyed helicopter behind the building before running off.

#55 CaveMan

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:58 AM

((Speaking from experience as a writer, a little constructive criticism.
Can you please break up your text a bit more? I hate to be a grammarian about stuff, but it's getting really hard to parse those big blocks of text and pick out details for the story. Instead of two huge paragraphs that last post should really have been about six smaller ones.
Also, it reads like you're rushing through trying to narrate the story. There are a lot of missed words and errors and it makes it a lot harder to read the posts. Take your time and we'll all be a lot happier with the results :P
This last bit is more based on my experience as a GM for RPGs:
I think you're being a little over-specific on certain details. "82.94% strength", really? Who could tell that from a glance? You're also giving us a lot of info the player characters have no way of knowing (the exact weapons loadout of the mystery Shadow Hawk, the size of the lasers on the modified Jenner, what the Shadow Hawk pilot is seeing on his displays).
Don't get me wrong, details are great, I love details, but they have to be relevant details. Maybe I'm wrong and there's a good reason why you're telling us what the Shadow Hawk pilot is seeing on his displays, but you haven't made that obvious yet. We don't necessarily need to have the inner motivations of NPCs. Give us their actions and maybe some dialogue and the players can figure it out for ourselves.
Second, I'd like to know a little more about the actions of the other troops the DCMS is throwing into the fight. 'Mechs are cool, this is a Mechwarrior story, so obviously 'Mechs are the focus of the action, but it seems like all you want to discuss is the 'Mech battle.
Keep in mind, as a GM/narrator, that only two or three of the characters are 'Mech pilots and none of them are presently anywhere near a 'Mech. Right now it sort of feels like our characters are watching the story unfold rather than participating in it.

Having said all that, this is a pretty cool start. Things are getting interesting fast. Just find a way to hook us all in together and it will be awesome.))

#56 CaveMan

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:11 AM

Jason dropped to his knees and clutched his ears as the shockwave from the explosion struck The Empty Stein, spiderwebbing the glass in the windows.

His hearing momentarily gone, he stood up and shouted to the others.

"That sounded like a 'Mech's ammo cooking off. This fight is picking up. We need to find some hard cover, and fast! The Dracs are going to start sweeping the area for suspected rebels any minute now."

"They'll probably shoot or arrest anyone with a weapon," he said, looking at Kavin. "I don't know about you lot, but I'd rather not be picked up and thrown in a DC internment camp."

#57 Kevin Kirov

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:46 AM

The three remaning men began to stand and pull out their weapons. Kavin fired and took down a 4th before he was able to stand. The remaning two began to fire wildly near Kavin and one slug hit him in the chest. Dropping to one knee Kavin swore and took out the other two.

View PostCaveMan, on 14 December 2011 - 09:11 AM, said:

His hearing momentarily gone, he stood up and shouted to the others.

"That sounded like a 'Mech's ammo cooking off. This fight is picking up. We need to find some hard cover, and fast! The Dracs are going to start sweeping the area for suspected rebels any minute now."

"They'll probably shoot or arrest anyone with a weapon," he said, looking at Kavin. "I don't know about you lot, but I'd rather not be picked up and thrown in a DC internment camp."

Upon hearing the blond man, Kavin gasped back digging out the slug in his chest. "You got a place to go? I can hear something out there and it doesn't sound pretty.

#58 CaveMan

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:49 AM

Jason shook his head, seeing Kavin staggering with bloody hands. He vaulted over to where Kavin was standing and pulled out a pocket torch. He shined it at the wound in the man's chest.

"Damn," he grunted. "That's a little beyond first-aid, isn't it?"

He chewed on his lip for a second.

"There's a place I've been hiding out, but it's not real secure. Either way we need to get you and the kid some medical attention. I'm betting all the hospitals are under DC control.
"Maybe the resistance has some medics, but I don't know how to contact them or if they would even help us out."

#59 VEDRFOLNIR

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationMidwest USA

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:06 AM

Eiko shook her head, barely able to hear over the terrific detonation that had just occurred outside.

She started to stand up, but ducked down again when Kavin fired his pistol. Bryan looked at her, his eyes wide. 'Kinda trigger-happy, isn't he?' Bryan whispered. Eiko just nodded. Peeking over the bartop, she saw Jason examining Kavin, and realized he had been shot. 'Brilliant Genesis has an office a few blocks from here. Since the DCMS closed it down, it's been abandoned. We might try there - we can use the back alleys to get there, and I don't think either Kavin or our young friend here can travel long distances.'

#60 CaveMan

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:19 AM

Jason nodded. He picked up the umbrella half of his concealed shotgun and fixed the weapon back together, then hung it through a loop on his trenchcoat.

"I don't think we have all that many alternatives. We'll just have to hope the place is sturdy enough to see us through this clusterf*** and think about what to do for medical supplies from there. Lead the way."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users