47 replies to this topic

#21 Discount Dan

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 58 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 05 March 2016 - 02:19 PM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 05 March 2016 - 12:55 PM, said:

Once you have finished the first 25 games you can post wherever you want as many times as you want, that is an antispam measure.

New players only have 5 posts a day and can only post in New Player Help

look at the following link.
http://mwomercs.com/...m-time-weekend/

Much appreciated ^^

So far the game seems, well I want to say alright - I'm a bit disturbed by the prevalence of "skirmish" always being voted in favour of - I'm a bit of an old school player and I like objectives, capture bases, flags, whatever. Is that a trend that continues in higher tiers?

#22 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 05 March 2016 - 02:32 PM

View PostNorthstate, on 05 March 2016 - 02:19 PM, said:

So far the game seems, well I want to say alright - I'm a bit disturbed by the prevalence of "skirmish" always being voted in favour of - I'm a bit of an old school player and I like objectives, capture bases, flags, whatever. Is that a trend that continues in higher tiers?

me too, I love the more tactical aspects of the other modes.
unfortunately many players feel the other modes are below them (mostly they complain about loosing to cap, meaning they cannot adapt to modes other than simple death match), and only want the simplicity of killing all the enemy, unfortunately this means if Skirmish is an option (which is about 66.666% of the time, although it will drop to 50% with the 4th mode in the next patch) it almost always wins the vote, and when the choice is assault or conquest assault wins 3 times our of 4, meaning I rarely see conquest.

I would not mind getting skirmish half the time but 2 times in 3 seems excessive

#23 Discount Dan

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 58 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 05 March 2016 - 03:07 PM

View PostEnergy Osis, on 05 March 2016 - 02:41 PM, said:

A lot of stuff

tl;dr

I'm not here to play clan wars, I'm 35, I'm here to kill time occasionally. I've been playing competetively in CS, DoD, BF1942, BF:V, CoD1 - I can tell you one thing, cookie cutter builds bores me unless I happen to enjoy that particular playstyle and makes me lose interest very fast. I play what I enjoy. But thanks.

#24 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 03:35 PM

View PostNorthstate, on 05 March 2016 - 12:01 PM, said:

I liked the look of it, and now I'm running out of posts.. Taaddaa, have a good day everyone.

Edit: Btw I have no idea what promo codes everyone is talking about, tried googling it but only found something with expired stuff, got a free one day premium when activating account.

These.
http://mwomercs.com/...um-time-weekend

#25 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 05 March 2016 - 05:29 PM

View PostNorthstate, on 05 March 2016 - 03:07 PM, said:

tl;dr

I'm not here to play clan wars, I'm 35, I'm here to kill time occasionally. .

I think you might be surprised to learn that 35 isnt very old in these parts

#26 Jack Shayu Walker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 06:01 PM

Try Out a timberwolf with a mix of PPCs and UAC/10s, did that a Shadowcat once, worked out pretty good.

A Timberwolf is a good place to start for a new player who likes heavies, even if you find the PPC UAC/10 combo doesn't work well enough to be fun, the Timberwolf is a veeeeery flexibile platform. You can play with countless combinations of weapons on just ONE Timberwolf.

Energy up there can tell you how to min max a mech, and maybe you'll enjoy that, but I've always found that doing my own thing regardless of meta and experimenting is what made this game fun for me. You don't have to min max to win in this game like you do a lot of titles and the Timberwolf is a great mech to tinker with.

So go ahead and build your mech without lasers! If you find that it's not working, and you've grabbed the Timberwolf it won't cost you hardly anything to turn around and make it a top tier laser platform if you change your mind.

Edited by Jack Shayu Walker, 05 March 2016 - 06:10 PM.

#27 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 05 March 2016 - 09:01 PM

View PostBoogie138, on 05 March 2016 - 05:29 PM, said:

I think you might be surprised to learn that 35 isnt very old in these parts

That's YOUNG to me. I could still RUN back then.

But then, video games are a pretty big time sink to me, especially in Winter when the rifle range doesn't look quite as fun (and indoor ranges are RIGHT out, because I don't like breathing in lead). In a year and a half or less, I sank over 2,000 hours into the Borderlands franchise (according to Steam). Probably sitting on well more time than that in MWO. And I still find time to do stuff with the family, take care of the chores that the teenagers can't be bothered with, work full time, etc. Ah, retirement...

This game is FUN. And I have a hard time saying that about an online PvP multiplayer experience (I'm more of a COOP PvE fan). Just did a few CW drops with the team earlier, and for once this year my internet connection held up. SO fun...

#28 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 05 March 2016 - 09:42 PM

View PostSister RAbbi, on 05 March 2016 - 09:01 PM, said:

But then, video games are a pretty big time sink to me, especially in Winter when the rifle range doesn't look quite as fun (and indoor ranges are RIGHT out, because I don't like breathing in lead). ...

Preach on.
my local BLM spot got closed down. I do not have the time to drive several hours to any others. I hate indoor spots too... so MWO it is.

Personally Im trying to see if I can hit tier1 and earn a doctorate at the same time.
So yeah, time management is fun.

#29 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 06 March 2016 - 05:16 AM

My advice? Play the trials and from there look at what weight class you enjoy playing.

#30 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 11:16 AM

Best advice i can give is play all the trials, and give each one at least 10 matches. The trial mechs are actually very good these days, and popular builds that the community voted on. The game has a steep learning curve, so might as well play them a bunch. Getting your grove in a mech can often take 50+ matches. I did my first 100 in a trial dragon before i even thought about buying a mech.

Pro tip.. Grab a light mech, and load into the training grounds and play every map at least once for the full 15 mins, though really i'd say at least twice. (though you can skip the last 6 on the list, as they are CW maps and that will be down the road for you.

practice learning to twist away from the target, then twisting back to take a shot and repeat.. circling the target.

Also you can get a handle on the heat system, and weapon systems.. Also play the tutorial for an easy 4m cbills.

playing a few hours on the maps in the practice mode will give you a huge step up when you start playing.

#31 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 02:45 PM

To follow on JC Daxion's advice:

The MW Academy is actually NOT a bad place to work on the skills, test loadouts against targets that shoot back, etc. JC's advice about practicing circling/twisting in a light mech in TG? Once you're comfortable doing it there, try it again against the 'enemy' mechs in the Academy's BATTLE ZONE.

If you find a mech and loadout that you're good with in there, then you'll probably do AT LEAST alright with it in a real match once you've picked up on the flow of each map and mode.

It's a long grind. It won't FEEL long, though, if you do it right. ;-)

#32 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 06 March 2016 - 04:39 PM

View PostNorthstate, on 05 March 2016 - 04:19 AM, said:

In advance, thanks for any advice.

OK, few things others may not have addressed...

MWO is not really about the mech choice per se...its about skill and knowing how the game works.

For your first mech you can go either meta or suffering.

If you go meta, then GMan's site metamechs.com is worth at least perusing the tier lists. Not the absolute say but decent.

Basically: Timberwolf , Stormcrow, Arctic Cheeter if Clan. Banshee/battlemaster, Quickdraw, FireStarter, if Inner Sphere.

Now as far as MWO goes:

MWO is nt Call of Duty or anything like that. Its fairly unique.
No respawn.
You can survive multiple hits if you know how.
Focused firepower wins the day.
LRMs ARE CRAPPY WEAPONS despite what newbs cry about.

See in a 12 vs 12 environment with no respawns the team(ha ha ha if Solo...) that FOCUSES the most firepower on the 'choicest' targets will snowball and roll the other team.

Why? The loser gets diminished firepower and fewer units in which to spread incoming damage.
The 'Winner' gets more guns with each kill and fewer targets to have to choose between as the enemy diminishes.

Really think about how that affects 12 randoms vs 12 randoms. Team with a 3 mech lead has a good chance for a snowball. THAT SIMPLE. really it is.

Now, with that in mind, Group and CW are different animals.
Youtube good comp teams fighting, that have leaders not only calling targets but also components...efficiency over time = least damage to kill = speed = win.

Organizing that 12 better than the other team's 12 = win.

So, with that brief explanation in mind, use the Trials to see which weight class you prefer and pick a Meta mech to learn on.

if you do indeed prefer the 'suffering' option, buy 3 Locusts and an XL190 engine. Use them until you 'git gud'. If you can wreck face in a Locust, you can wreck face in any other mech aside from a LRM boat(and who does that other than JMan?)
And if you can stomach learning MWO in a Locust, you are made of steel. That simple.

#33 Discount Dan

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 58 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 06 March 2016 - 06:12 PM

View PostLeone, on 05 March 2016 - 11:30 AM, said:

"May I interest you in a Jagermech good sir?" the shadowy figure asked, motioning to a garage door beside them.

As he motion someone inside must've been watching, as the doors roll open, revealing a row of battered but well tended Battlemechs. Jagers each, one carried four Ac5, another had three of the infamous Uac 5s, and yet another had a pair of Gauss rifles poking menacingly from it's arms. It was a thing of beauty, a true ballistics enthusiast dream.

"Come friend, Let us talk price..."

~Leone

You indeed may my good sir - I'll take the whole package.

Read; My weak will caved in, I broke my promise to myself on not to spend IRL money yet and bought the Jager bundle and I am looooving it.

Amazing guns - Been tinkering around with some builds I looked up and tweaked them abit to fit a more newbie style, I must have AMS at the cost of a medium laser here or there etc.

Thanks for pointing them out.

#34 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 06 March 2016 - 06:47 PM

View PostNorthstate, on 06 March 2016 - 06:12 PM, said:

Read; My weak will caved in, I broke my promise to myself on not to spend IRL money yet and bought the Jager bundle and I am looooving it.

Amazing guns - Been tinkering around with some builds I looked up and tweaked them abit to fit a more newbie style, I must have AMS at the cost of a medium laser here or there etc.

Money well spent.
I would also highly recomend the Jager-DD with 3x UAC5s.

#35 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 09:21 PM

View PostNorthstate, on 06 March 2016 - 06:12 PM, said:

I <3 Gman129 and all his stuff over at metamechs.com. That said, he almost never advises AMS on a build. And some of the guides are a year old or more. (I was just looking at his Griffin master guide, and it's a bit out of date.) So yeah, AMS is on the rebound, and it's worth bringing again.

Dakka mechs are wonderful things. The Jagermech family is strong, and I'm thinking of reconstituting my JM6 chassis inventory. There's a good JM6-DD build for 3x UAC/5 that just slings the hate. It's fantastic fun. And the Jagermech hero, the FIREBRAND, is pretty cool too (it's the one JM6 I currently own.) They're great for CW, too! The JM6 is freaking magical, really. If it were a little more survivable, or could work well with a bigger engine, it'd probably be a top-tier IS heavy.

If you like the JM6, then keep an eye on the BJ as well. It's a smaller, fast, lighter Jagermech, with jump jets on some variants. And with the quirks that chassis gets, it's a BEAST that punches well above its weight. Even the 'worst' Blackjack, the BJ-1DC, has roles it can fill really well (25% ballistic cooldown quirk makes it a viable single-Gauss sniper, post-nerf). And the BJ hero, the Arrow, is fun (if not particularly GREAT).

And watch for the ROFLman (erm, Rifleman) to come out eventually for CBills. I Was cautious about this one, thinking it would be just a slightly-lighter JM6 with nothing at all special happening. WRONK! I'd dare say it does 4x ERLL better than the Firebrand. One of the few mechs I can stand to run with 3x PPC. It can do Gauss well. It can do UAC/5 dakka well. It can spam AC/2s well. ROFLman is solid, if not GREAT.

But the JM6 has been in the wild for a couple years, so we know it pretty well by now. That was a GREAT call, buying those.

Have a BLAST with them, and keep us posted on how it's going!

#36 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 March 2016 - 09:25 PM

View PostNorthstate, on 05 March 2016 - 04:19 AM, said:

Yes I know there are trial mechs, and I know I have to play those trial mechs to earn c-bills to buy my first personal mech, but eh, I would like to have an idea already though on what to aim for.

I have this vision in my head - A tough mech, doesn't have to be the toughest but tough.

I would like to fit it mainly with medium range weaponry, preferably avoiding lasers and perhaps a few long range options as well for times where it's impossible to advance to still stay in the game or simply for when closing the distance to medium range. I've watched a few videos, lasers doesn't seem to me my cup of tea, give me ballistic weaponry.

Preferably be able to fit an AMS system as well (not sure if all mechs can fit that or have the space)

In my head I would be looking at autocannons and 1 or 2 ER PPCs. - Is this a viable idea at all or should I look for other weapons?

What kind of mech body should I be looking at?

In advance, thanks for any advice.

Sounds like a Shadowhawk, or a Warhammer.

#37 Discount Dan

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 58 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 07 March 2016 - 01:28 PM

View PostBoogie138, on 06 March 2016 - 06:47 PM, said:

Money well spent.
I would also highly recomend the Jager-DD with 3x UAC5s.

Indeed well spent.

Though the Jager DD will have to wait a bit for the money grind. It's by no means a cheap machine and I suspect I would have to rip out a standard engine and put an XL in its place instead, furthering the drain on the C-Bill coffers.

View PostSister RAbbi, on 06 March 2016 - 09:21 PM, said:

I <3 Gman129 and all his stuff over at metamechs.com. That said, he almost never advises AMS on a build. And some of the guides are a year old or more. (I was just looking at his Griffin master guide, and it's a bit out of date.) So yeah, AMS is on the rebound, and it's worth bringing again.

I now have come to the point where I occasionally survive a match and have less than 200 rounds left in my AMS, I would say it's an important module for me.

Dakka mechs are wonderful things. The Jagermech family is strong, and I'm thinking of reconstituting my JM6 chassis inventory. There's a good JM6-DD build for 3x UAC/5 that just slings the hate. It's fantastic fun. And the Jagermech hero, the FIREBRAND, is pretty cool too (it's the one JM6 I currently own.) They're great for CW, too! The JM6 is freaking magical, really. If it were a little more survivable, or could work well with a bigger engine, it'd probably be a top-tier IS heavy.

Yes though I think I will have to find a different build for the Firebrand, currently it runs 1 Gauss, 2 ER LL, 2 ML, AMS. While solid it's just not me. I don't feel the power running through me.

The champion version, or A I run with 4 SSRM, 1 AC/2, 1 MG, 2 MPL, AMS, BAP (though not sure I should do that?) and I feel like a freaking dreadnought from WH40K, it is awesome.

The AC/2 and MG is chained for simply spamming at target once I've gotten a few SSRM on target and it occasionally seems to work wonders.

If you like the JM6, then keep an eye on the BJ as well. It's a smaller, fast, lighter Jagermech, with jump jets on some variants. And with the quirks that chassis gets, it's a BEAST that punches well above its weight. Even the 'worst' Blackjack, the BJ-1DC, has roles it can fill really well (25% ballistic cooldown quirk makes it a viable single-Gauss sniper, post-nerf). And the BJ hero, the Arrow, is fun (if not particularly GREAT).

I will take a look at Blackjack but I don't miss jump jet ability so far.

And watch for the ROFLman (erm, Rifleman) to come out eventually for CBills. I Was cautious about this one, thinking it would be just a slightly-lighter JM6 with nothing at all special happening. WRONK! I'd dare say it does 4x ERLL better than the Firebrand. One of the few mechs I can stand to run with 3x PPC. It can do Gauss well. It can do UAC/5 dakka well. It can spam AC/2s well. ROFLman is solid, if not GREAT.

But the JM6 has been in the wild for a couple years, so we know it pretty well by now. That was a GREAT call, buying those.

Yes I've drooled a bit the times I've started next to a Rifleman, it looks awesome. In the meantime I will have to manage with the JM6-S which I put two AC/20s on, it does awesome. Got a couple of matches where I've been top damage with around 700 damage, I simply love those guns. I don't know if that is a lot but for me it is, hehe.

Have a BLAST with them, and keep us posted on how it's going!

I hope I already did ^^

#38 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 01:41 PM

View PostNorthstate, on 07 March 2016 - 01:28 PM, said:

Indeed well spent.

Though the Jager DD will have to wait a bit for the money grind. It's by no means a cheap machine and I suspect I would have to rip out a standard engine and put an XL in its place instead, furthering the drain on the C-Bill coffers.

Unnecessary:
The Jagermech DD's expense is so high because this design already contains an XL engine (at a discounted price).

#39 Discount Dan

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 58 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 07 March 2016 - 01:50 PM

View PostKoniving, on 07 March 2016 - 01:41 PM, said:

Unnecessary:
The Jagermech DD's expense is so high because this design already contains an XL engine (at a discounted price).

Oh I didn't really take a look at it other than price and decided I was about 6 million c-bills short. But is it the right size for 3xUAC5s?

#40 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 02:39 PM

View PostNorthstate, on 07 March 2016 - 01:50 PM, said:

Oh I didn't really take a look at it other than price and decided I was about 6 million c-bills short. But is it the right size for 3xUAC5s?

XL 260.
Has room for improvement, but can carry 3 UAC/5s + next to full armor and 8.5 tons of ammo (or other things). Stock speed of 64.8 kph.

Or keep the stock armor, slap in 4 UAC/5s and 5.5 tons.

Note in both cases, remove Ferro Fibrous armor and replace with Endo Steel.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users