Will Mwo Be Around In 2061?

61 replies to this topic

#41 ILikePeaches

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 11:03 PM

Nah by that time we'll have a flawless, polished Mechwarrior game that we can use our 4k VR goggles with. Posted Image

#42 Zerberus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 06 March 2016 - 04:38 AM

View PostLucian Nostra, on 05 March 2016 - 10:23 AM, said:

Also what video game is still in massive play even 10 years down the line vs 45?

Counterstrike
Quake III Arena (Now Quake Live)
World of Warcraft
I could go on.... But overall your point is still valid, most games do not have that lifespan or anything even remotely resemblling it.

I personally think we´ll still have a game in 2020 when the license expires. We´ll see what if anything comes after that. ;)

#43 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 06 March 2016 - 05:32 AM

OP, you've gone full ******, never go full ******.

This game will be lucky to make it to 2020 when pgi loses its liscense.

#44 Soulstrom

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 844 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 10:25 AM

View Post80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie, on 06 March 2016 - 05:32 AM, said:

OP, you've gone full ******, never go full ******.

This game will be lucky to make it to 2020 when pgi loses its liscense.

Well the IP and servers have been renewed for the next 5 years, so that at least takes us to 2021.

#45 MauttyKoray

• 2,831 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 10:35 AM

View PostSoulstrom, on 05 March 2016 - 08:31 AM, said:

In another thread AEGG asked if one of my contests would be around in 2061.

I said yes, but to be honest I am kinda of curious of what the community thinks on this one.

Will MWO be around in 2061?

If so,
  • How can we keep a game alive that long?
  • Has any MWO game been around that long, to date?
  • How can MWO/PGI keep the game alive for that long and into the future past that?
If not,
  • Thoughts?
  • Why not?

Hopefully, but I doubt it will be this same product anymore. It would have to change, VR is becoming a big thing and it would need to jump on that eventually.

#46 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,339 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 06 March 2016 - 11:00 AM

View PostFupDup, on 05 March 2016 - 08:47 AM, said:

The current year is 2016.

So, that means we'd have to stick around for 45 additional years.

That seems virtually impossible to me, especially for a niche game like this. A lot of the MegaWhales in this game will get too old to play the game anymore, so they won't be able to supply PGI's constant need for MechPack money. Most of the Whales can't be replaced by random Steam newcomers, and thus no mo money = no mo game after such a huge span of time has passed.

Well, that, and the fact that playing the same thing for 40+ years will get boring for almost anyone.

This isn't even based on my usual cynicism or Bittervet tendencies, it just physically doesn't seem possible regardless of how good or not we think the game is.

Well, to be fair, Battletech has been around for just over 30 years... and there are people still playing Doom some 20 years later... so... who knows?

#47 Soulstrom

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 844 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 11:02 AM

View PostCMDR Sunset Shimmer, on 06 March 2016 - 11:00 AM, said:

Well, to be fair, Battletech has been around for just over 30 years... and there are people still playing Doom some 20 years later... so... who knows?

And unreal tournament still has a surprisingly large following as-well-as the original starcraft.

#48 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 06 March 2016 - 11:03 AM

View PostCMDR Sunset Shimmer, on 06 March 2016 - 11:00 AM, said:

Board games like BT don't need to pay for stuff like servers, so it's not an entirely accurate comparison. Also, after you buy a set of books, miniatures, whatever else, you can use and reuse those items forever as long as you don't break or lose them. These physical goods are permanent as long as they are taken care of effectively.

Online games like MWO are only playable while the servers are still running...without those, we can't access anything and we lose access to the hundreds (or even thousands for some people) of dollars that were spent on gundam preorder packs.

20ish years is only less than half of 45 years, so there's still quite a ways to go. Posted Image

Edited by FupDup, 06 March 2016 - 11:04 AM.

#49 Soulstrom

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 844 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 11:05 AM

View PostFupDup, on 06 March 2016 - 11:03 AM, said:

20ish years is only less than half of 45 years, so there's still quite a ways to go. Posted Image

There is an long way to go to get to 2061, but the nice part is that this community will keep this game around as long as we can.

#50 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 11:06 AM

Board games like BT don't need to pay for stuff like servers, so it's not an entirely accurate comparison. Also, after you buy a set of books, miniatures, whatever else, you can use and reuse those items forever as long as you don't break or lose them.

Online games like MWO are only playable while the servers are still running...without those, we can't access anything and we lose access to the hundreds (or even thousands for some people) of dollars that were spent on gundam preorder packs.

One has to wonder, if MWOs servers ever shut down will any avid fans try to and reproduce the game? I certainly do not advocate private servers now, but if the game dies and the servers are shut down would we ever be able to make one? (Again, don't make/play on Private Servers. The game is still alive and well!)

#51 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• 5,339 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 06 March 2016 - 11:12 AM

Board games like BT don't need to pay for stuff like servers, so it's not an entirely accurate comparison. Also, after you buy a set of books, miniatures, whatever else, you can use and reuse those items forever as long as you don't break or lose them. These physical goods are permanent as long as they are taken care of effectively.

Right, but the point I'm making is, there are people who are still interested and playing these things this many years later.

You're correct in the viability of keeping the servers running, I guess it all depends on the landscaping of online gaming in the near future.

#52 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 06 March 2016 - 11:19 AM

View PostSoulstrom, on 05 March 2016 - 08:38 PM, said:

If they rethought their entire marketing strategy and Phase III is amazing, plus Solaris release. This game could last a long, long time. I have a feeling that the E-Sports tournament of theirs might really help if done right. Posted Image

hahahaha..

E-sport does not make a game, E-sport requires a solid gaming base, its why guildwars was king of this for years, none have got close to it and its only happened because of the Asian Market.

Solaris Arena fighting..what have we had the last three years Arena fighting with CW tacked on..what is free for all going to bring to this game..

Nothing.

#53 GrimRiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationIf not here and not there, then where?

Posted 06 March 2016 - 11:55 AM

View PostSoulstrom, on 06 March 2016 - 11:02 AM, said:

And unreal tournament still has a surprisingly large following as-well-as the original starcraft.

I still play UT2004, not online though.

Too many hardcore diehards with colorful mouths on games like that, reasons why I don't play CS:GO too.

#54 Burke IV

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 02:42 PM

There was a dude in a game other day called Mr Crow. 2k4 was great game, especially onslaught. Flying, driving, skimmers. Why cant we have tanks in mwo Posted Image

Running people over with a hilarious crunch

Edited by Burke IV, 06 March 2016 - 02:46 PM.

#55 Dahkoht

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 126 posts
  • LocationPelham,AL

Posted 06 March 2016 - 04:47 PM

Good god I hope not.

We better be full into holodeck land then , and I've got quite a few "scenarios" to spend my last years in that don't involve mechs.

Kirk's got nothing on what I've got in mind.

Posted Image

#56 Gattsus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 843 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 05:12 PM

5 years.

#57 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 March 2016 - 05:15 PM

to answer the OPs question:

Yes, and we might even have convergence implemented then
And knockdowns.

Or wait, no knockdowns will probably take till 2074

Edited by TexAce, 06 March 2016 - 05:41 PM.

#58 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,715 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 06 March 2016 - 06:25 PM

Mechwarrior Online will be the only game in existence then.
With a load of blistering ever growing content, and holo-gameplay.
I've seen it I have a time machine.
Oddly enough a few forum warrior have survived until then.
Bishop Steiner among few of the "Illustrious" as they are called.
His head can be seen gaming daily at the SmithsonianPosted Image

#59 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 06 March 2016 - 08:51 PM

I just can't see ANY game having that kind of life cycle. The advancement of technology alone would render it completely obsolete by then. If we're still playing via keyboard and mouse on a game with today's spec requirements by then I'll be very surprised. Most of your hardcore supporters around here will be dead by then anyhow or too senile to play.

Think of it this way. I recently saw the original "X Men" cartoon series from the 90s (THE 90S, I mean that's really not that long ago historically and the world was full stride in technological advancements at that point) and got giddy thinking about rewatching it for nostalgia.

Then I watched, or should I say forced myself to watch, and episode of it...

The animation was so bad compared to today's standards... I can only imagine what the graphics of today's games will look like in comparison to 2061 games and tech. Not to mention I firmly believe by that point VR will be the industry standard and we'll be looking into holographic technology at the commercial level by then. (Think of holograms as being about what VR is today and the evolution it will take over the next 50 years)

View PostDahkoht, on 06 March 2016 - 04:47 PM, said:

Good god I hope not.

We better be full into holodeck land then , and I've got quite a few "scenarios" to spend my last years in that don't involve mechs.

Kirk's got nothing on what I've got in mind.

Posted Image

I'm just going to have a feeding tube and catheter inserted and live out my senile days ala Peter Weyland by then

#60 Soulstrom

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 844 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 02:49 PM

View PostGattsus, on 06 March 2016 - 05:12 PM, said:

5 years.

Really? Just 5 years? We are coming up on that soon.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users