55 replies to this topic

#1 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 March 2016 - 02:19 AM

A simple question, why are Comstar mechs not in the discussion to be added to the game?

Since it's 3053, Tuk has taken place & Comstar's army is no longer secret. Sure, more than a couple CS mechs are exclusive but there are mechs like the Mauler, for example, that are exclusive to certain factions, Kurita in this case. I don't see why we shouldn't consider Comstar mechs.

For a list of CS clan invasion era mechs follow this link:
http://www.masteruni...nId=18&EraId=13

Some of these went extinct from the rest of the IS, I'm mainly talking about those.

Edited by TheArisen, 08 March 2016 - 12:59 PM.

#2 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 06 March 2016 - 02:23 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 06 March 2016 - 02:19 AM, said:

A simple question, why are Comstar mechs not in the discussion to be added to the game?

Since it's 3053, Tuk has taken place & Comstar's army is no longer secret. Sure, more than a couple CS mechs are exclusive but there are mechs like the Mauler, for example, that are exclusive to certain factions, Kurita in this case. I don't see why we shouldn't consider Comstar mechs.

For a list of CS clan invasion era mechs follow this link:
http://www.masteruni...nId=18&EraId=13

But we already have many of those mechs?

#3 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 March 2016 - 02:28 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 06 March 2016 - 02:23 AM, said:

But we already have many of those mechs?

I was thinking of Comstar exclusives mainly with this thread, or mechs that are currently exclusive to CS.

For example, mechs CS has in storage and brought out for Tuk. or just simply has in their possession.

#4 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 06 March 2016 - 02:29 AM

I'd rather we focused on 3025 roster and crank as many of them as possible.

This is totally not because of the HBS Battletech game that's set in 3025 and i want as many mechs as possible for that game. HONEST!

#5 jss78

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 06 March 2016 - 02:32 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 06 March 2016 - 02:29 AM, said:

This is totally not because of the HBS Battletech game that's set in 3025 and i want as many mechs as possible for that game. HONEST!

I'm totally in the same boat. I'm especially hoping the Stinger/Wasp get some priority. They'll probably suck in MWO, but HBS's game NEEDS those models, IMO.

#6 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 March 2016 - 02:32 AM

Haha, fair enough. You can have your preference, but why shouldn't we consider Comstar exclusive mechs to be added?

#7 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 06 March 2016 - 03:21 AM

Comstar exclusive mechs eh? It will make PGI a tidy sum, so why not?

Exterminator, Excalibur, Spartan, Salamander, Shootist, Spector, Crockett... decent choices. Thug and Lancelot are kinda obsolete, unless hardpoints are inflated, or heavily quirked.

Edited by El Bandito, 06 March 2016 - 06:06 AM.

#8 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 06 March 2016 - 03:40 AM

Salamander and Spector aren't CS-exclusive.

#9 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,275 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 03:43 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 06 March 2016 - 02:19 AM, said:

Honestly, many ComStar 'Mechs are either pretty bad or there are very similar 'Mechs in MWO alredy. Just a few examples (not all are ComStar exclusive):
  • Hussar - light 'Mech, mostly with just "one" energy or ballistic hardpoint.
  • Hermes (30), Mercury (20), Thorn (20), Mongoose (25) - light 'Mechs essentially doing Commando's and Spider's job (without jump jets)
  • Sentinel - hardpoint-starved and slower Cicada 3M without ECM
  • Wyvern - very similar to existing MWO Vindicator. Why buy it, if you can buy much faster Phoenix Hawk with ECM?
  • Champion - big and broad 60-tonner with all three types of hardpoints. I remember it from MW3 and it definitely wasn't my favorite 'Mech.
  • Lancelot - we have just been given very similar 60 ton energy boat in the form of Rifleman
  • Exterminator - 65 tonner with four laser hardpoints in arms and one ballistic and one missile hardpoints.
  • Bombardier - missile boat. There is Catapult in MWO already doing Bombardier's job, and the upcoming Archer will be both more powerful and more popular.
  • Excalibur - higher engine cap than other 70-tonners, but not many hardpoints
  • Guillotine - jumping energy-based 70-tonner with one missile backup. Sadly, Grasshopper is in MWO already
  • Flashman - we have the Black Knight as 75-tonner with laser armament
  • BL-9-KNT Black Knight - I would love to have this 'Mech in MWO, but unfortunately, we have no melee combat, so ...
  • Thug - my favorite 'Mech, but you can use the existing Awesome to build it
  • Shootist - Cataphract, essentially. One (or maybe two) ballistic hardpoints and about four energy hardpoints on a very broad 'Mech.
  • Crockett - 85-tonner with jump jets. The problem is that MWO "Hoverjets" are not especially useful on Assaults. Personally I think that many people would stay with their perfectly functional Stalkers.
  • Spartan - It has three models, all of them almost identical. As for hardpoints, it comes with a pair of waist-level-mounted energy hardpoints and a pair of chest-mounted missile hardpoints. Plus, three laser hardpoints in low left arm.
To be honest, there is not what would motivate me to buy one.

#10 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,580 posts
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 06 March 2016 - 03:47 AM

Possible to have both, the Com Guard Unit Allocation Table from the original Tukayyid scenario pack had a mixture of 3025, 2750 and 3050 TRO 'Mechs:Posted Image

Yes it does exclude stuff from after its release such as TRO:3058, but can't have everything.

#11 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 March 2016 - 03:57 AM

One mech that is on the table now is the Nightstar, at the bottom of the link in the Op, it shows CS had a variant. That makes the Nightstar as viable as the Mauler or any other mech that only has one in timeline variant.

Another notable mech that's available is the Pillager.
http://www.masteruni...Id=18&EraId=256

Edited by TheArisen, 06 March 2016 - 04:09 AM.

#12 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,275 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 04:18 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 06 March 2016 - 03:57 AM, said:

One mech that is on the table now is the Nightstar, at the bottom of the link in the Op, it shows CS had a variant. That makes the Nightstar as viable as the Mauler or any other mech that only has one in timeline variant.

If you like Nightstar, go for it. But there is a question how many people who own King Crab would buy similar Nightstar, considering that King Crab can be armed with a pair of Gauss rifles and four energy weapons too.

#13 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 March 2016 - 05:03 AM

View Postmartian, on 06 March 2016 - 04:18 AM, said:

If you like Nightstar, go for it. But there is a question how many people who own King Crab would buy similar Nightstar, considering that King Crab can be armed with a pair of Gauss rifles and four energy weapons too.

A fair amount. Considering how slim the front profile is it'd probably be much more xl friendly with overall better hitboxes. It's weapons are all at or near cockpit level, including it's arms which would help the STs not be so vulnerable, especially compared to the KC

So, being lighter, with higher weapons and better hitboxes (probably), I'd say yes, the Nightstar would be worth it. And since it doesn't have missiles it doesn't totally replace the KC.

I'll admit, part of the purpose of this thread was to feel out the feasibility of the Nightstar and a few others.

It seems no one has any direct issues with Comstar exclusives being added. Only thing is having a preference for Tro 3025 mechs.

#14 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 05:49 AM

Since we have a notable number of ComStar exclusives already, I don't think anyone would object.
In fact, we have some Mechs not even ComStar had access to.
And then we have Mechs that were totally and utterly extinct by 3052.

There are quite a few ComGuard Mechs I would like to have: Spartan (fast assault), Lancelot (little Black Knight), Excalibur (just cool), and many more.

#15 TELEFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 06:57 AM

I'm all for more Comstar-specific 'mechs. So what if they're similar to some 'mechs we already have? They can be differentiated from the others through hardpoints and quirks. And besides, I'm sure someone would rather have a Shootist than a Cataphract or Orion or a Thug instead of an Awesome or Victor.

#16 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 06 March 2016 - 07:38 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 06 March 2016 - 02:32 AM, said:

Haha, fair enough. You can have your preference, but why shouldn't we consider Comstar exclusive mechs to be added?
I'm not sure they have been excluded. Just because we don't have any (sorry, I'm not BT lore savvy enough to know which are and are not Comstar specific) doesn't mean they're flat out prohibited.

Maybe you should instead ask Russ for the next IS mech pack to be a Comstar Mech Pack?

#17 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 06 March 2016 - 07:43 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing the Champion and Guillotine added. Champion because it could have a EBJ-esq profile for IS and the Guillotine as part of an "Ancients" pack with the Mackie! :)

#18 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 07:51 AM

Both could look very nice, here is a fan take:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#19 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 08:13 AM

You're thinking of these mechs:

http://www.sarna.net...l_Readout:_2750

#20 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 March 2016 - 11:17 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 06 March 2016 - 07:38 AM, said:

I'm not sure they have been excluded. Just because we don't have any (sorry, I'm not BT lore savvy enough to know which are and are not Comstar specific) doesn't mean they're flat out prohibited.

Maybe you should instead ask Russ for the next IS mech pack to be a Comstar Mech Pack?

I didn't think there was anything in particular. Bishop Steiner seemingly thought so but that could have been specifically about the Nightstar.

The Nightstar isn't in production but Comstar does have several. I'm hoping certain mechs that were extinct outside of CS could be considered for a pack.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users