#1 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 07 March 2016 - 01:48 PM

Hello folks,

I am looking for feedback on the small team competitive maps that are currently available in Private Matches only. It is imperative to get community feedback, especially the competitive teams, as to what is working and what isn't in terms of these map layouts. I have received feedback from a few of the top competitive teams already and am looking forward to more from everyone who is looking forward to what might be termed as the S-word 7. Posted Image

Thanks in advance!

#2 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 March 2016 - 02:37 PM

Map is way too small and sightlines are too short. As a result every duel immediately devolves to a face-hugging brawl and nobody ever uses the terrain (well really... there is no interesting terrain.) The biggest problem is that the strongest point on the map (being atop the red hill) is only ~300m from any other point on the map, so there's no point to bringing any weapons that range beyond ~300m because that's where you're going to meet the enemy anyway. It's just not interesting.

I would suggest expanding the map and giving it some elevation changes. I've done this here and you can see how the player has a lot more options for kiting or sneaky approaches (I move the camera around the map to show sightlines and how they can be broken). Also with this expansion the map would even be large enough for potentially 3v3. I've also added some noise to the heightmap so that it isn't completely smooth and textured it to give an example of what it could look like when properly flushed out.

#3 Wing 0

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 815 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 March 2016 - 02:51 PM

I wonder if we could've had maps that had some degree of what MechWarrior 4 Mercs had. Factory, jungle, rubble pile, tropical and so on etc. paul you should look at those solaris 7 maps in that game. There were maps that had a good feel that would work great with 1v1, 4v4, and so on settings.

#4 LordSkyKnight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 194 posts
  • LocationPLACES!!!

Posted 07 March 2016 - 03:43 PM

The map is a bit on the small side, and could do with a bit more elevation change IMO. I like the pillars on either side, but they could be a bit closer to the middle, or just expand the map a bit and have more space on the outsides of them. As is they don't add much because of how little space there is to use them as intermediate cover. You can only hug them and use 1 maybe 2 at a time to control sight lines. If there was more space behind them you could use several at once.

#5 TheSilken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • LocationLost in The Warp

Posted 07 March 2016 - 03:57 PM

More height and steepness of slope for the hills and more depth for the craters and they're great. The tricky part is that you need to enable both long range and brawling in similar proportions. I also would say add more features to most of them and make it feel like an actual arena rather than a pit they hopped into (although some natural looking ones are good too). A surrounding crowd or even blank walls with windows along with random objects such as trees, bushes, and/or industrial equipment would suffice. Personally the best thing you can do is to take a look at the MW4, MekTek, and Mechwarrior Living Legends Solaris/Trial maps to get ideas for these.

Edited by TheSilken, 07 March 2016 - 04:00 PM.

#6 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:23 PM

I tried to go long range twice but it failed miserably - as said the sight line are to short
another thing the obstacles (those blocks) are to big - when the other guy gives chase you can't fade fast enough behind an obstacle - better to have multiple smaller obstacles (like the columns you have at the south westerns walls)

#7 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 08 March 2016 - 03:55 PM

View PostTheSilken, on 07 March 2016 - 03:57 PM, said:

More height and steepness of slope for the hills and more depth for the craters and they're great. The tricky part is that you need to enable both long range and brawling in similar proportions. I also would say add more features to most of them and make it feel like an actual arena rather than a pit they hopped into (although some natural looking ones are good too). A surrounding crowd or even blank walls with windows along with random objects such as trees, bushes, and/or industrial equipment would suffice. Personally the best thing you can do is to take a look at the MW4, MekTek, and Mechwarrior Living Legends Solaris/Trial maps to get ideas for these.

Just want to make one comment on this... we aren't going for a look/feel yet.. this is purely about the gameplay. Just wanted to notate that in your feedback. Rest is cool though.

#8 Lolo van Trollinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 167 posts
  • LocationTrollhejmr

Posted 10 March 2016 - 04:54 AM

hey, how the hell did you get in there, you cant even go to them in the test map mode from home.... please post somewhere how to get there. seems i cant start a private match. tried all evening.

#9 MechWarrior414712

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 11:34 AM

Not really a comment on the 1v1 map, but ideas in general;

You should make a 1v1 map based on the original MW5 trailer. Extreme urban combat.

#10 Lolo van Trollinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 167 posts
  • LocationTrollhejmr

Posted 10 March 2016 - 01:49 PM

ok, it says it requires some premium stuff... *sad*

#11 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 11 March 2016 - 04:37 PM

Looking good Paul.
Weapon loadouts will obviously determine how the match plays out but that may be something the competitors work out between themselves.
The lower water areas provide a nice trench and lane to move through should the fight run North South and there is a fair bit of cover in those lanes to advance through.
From a West East perspective there is a nice change in the elevation of cover from the large outer rocks, to the smaller ones and then the central hill.
This looks like it will provide some good points to poke from on both sides so there is opportunity for players to exchange a few shots until the centre can be rushed.
There is some opportunity for a long range North South battle in the centre where there is only the hills for cover, a potential lrm trading lane.

Keeping in mind that it is a map designed for 1v1 detection and positioning to get the advantage will be key but this looks like it covers a lot of bases, and allows for several different loadouts, mechs and tactics.

#12 KodiakGW

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 14 March 2016 - 12:31 PM

Tested it with some teammates. Seems to run fine, with no glitches. Need more obstacles and/or places to hide. Too open.

My main frustration will be requiring both players to run premium time to launch it. I would think the idea of this is not only for 1v1, but for individual training of new players that may be doing F2P at the moment. Since you gain no CBills or XP, not sure why that was necessary.

#13 Zimm Kotare

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 232 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSolaris 7

Posted 15 March 2016 - 01:38 AM

I'm a bit of a fan of 1v1 and the 1v1 map, I've had some interesting matches there and would love to see more maps like it. I appreciate that some see the lack of range as an issue but if range is needed, larger maps exist. It is possible to keep opponents at arms length on this one, if you're focused on doing so.

In my mind the only tweaks I'd look for to this map would be the inclusion of small obstacles to break up the terrain and sightlines (not loads, just a scattering, many of which might not block a full mech, so they're not full cover) and to slightly vary the height of the map. At the minute it's flat with some rises, I think it might be stronger if it featured dips with only a handful of small mounds/hills.

What I'd love to see is a suite of small maps like this (if we want big 1v1 maps we already have them!). My personal request would be for a sort of caldera, like the old Caustic, where players might start on an elevated rim that slopes into a central depression. Again, a few smaller obstacles, maybe some large enough to just provide cover from an elevated enemy. Such a map would translate very well (in my mind) into a free for all map as well.

Hope I've helped somehow! Really do love the inclusion of the tester maps and the suggestion of considering 1v1 and free for all!

Edited by Zimm Kotare, 15 March 2016 - 01:40 AM.

#14 Christopher Hamilton

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 159 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII, Steiner Sector

Posted 15 March 2016 - 12:17 PM

as an old solarean let me tell you you are asking for "the pit" map.
this all looks a lot like the innuendo to something great at which i might rejoice beyound belief:

Solaris 7 matches.

let me put it this way: go PGI go go go !

thanks for the public test so far :D

#15 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 20 March 2016 - 09:53 PM

First, AWESOME ADDITIONS! All of the test comp maps are freaking GREAT, and I thank you for them.

Now, I DID notice something on one of these maps (there are TWO 1v1 maps, right?). The brown pillars? I get no weapon explosion effect when a shot hits one of them. Not sure if that's currently working as intended, or what. Thought I'd mention it.

But DAMN they're cool!

P.S.- I'm now actually considering buying a CN9-YLW, because it could actually be pretty brutal in there. Just sayin'.

Edited by Sister RAbbi, 20 March 2016 - 09:56 PM.

#16 Lolo van Trollinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 167 posts
  • LocationTrollhejmr

Posted 23 March 2016 - 04:19 AM

where is the la mancha or Trial of entry Simulation ? ;)

#17 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 24 March 2016 - 11:05 AM

Thanks for the feedback so far folks. Notes taken and you'll see adjustments made to these maps soon.

#18 Naduk

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 26 March 2016 - 12:30 AM

all the above feedback is spot on, they need a bit more hight variance to be interesting for pilots to enjoy

but the biggest thing these maps need is spectator value
would like to see each map have at least one spot where the temperature is very different from the rest of the map

why ?
if done right it would allow for much more dynamic game play from a spectators perspective

a hot geyser , a lava or water fall, a pool of water , steam vents, bright lights ect ect ect
these environmental items need to have significant impact on things like heat/night vision , enough to create interesting play opportunities as players try to take advantage or avoid them , it also gives commentators things to discuss

these are arenas right ?
what would happen if we used say... walls or barricade models instead of trees for some destructible cover ?

i would like to see the pillars moved closer to the center or have another set added
i feel being so far out on the edge they will not add as much depth as you might want

#19 Heartless Saint

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 11:57 AM

Hey my friend and I tried to launch a 1v1(THE MAP) game but failed to get a match start icon note: we have no premium time. But I will quote the patch notes that were implemented...

"Each of the four maps are designed for limited player counts. Attempting to launch a Private Match with an amount of players that exceeds the maximum possible player count of the chosen map will result in a launch error. Each map is labeled in the Map Selection drop-down according to their intended player counts. "

Therefore they're would be no need for the option for no full teams... So..... WTF?....

#20 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 March 2016 - 12:32 PM

View PostHeartless Saint, on 26 March 2016 - 11:57 AM, said:

Hey my friend and I tried to launch a 1v1(THE MAP) game but failed to get a match start icon note: we have no premium time. But I will quote the patch notes that were implemented...

"Each of the four maps are designed for limited player counts. Attempting to launch a Private Match with an amount of players that exceeds the maximum possible player count of the chosen map will result in a launch error. Each map is labeled in the Map Selection drop-down according to their intended player counts. "

Therefore they're would be no need for the option for no full teams... So..... WTF?....

You stopped reading after the first paragraph? Here's the second:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users