Competitive Map 1V1 Feedback Request

33 replies to this topic

#21 Heartless Saint

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 01:45 PM

I know... BUT like to point how ridiculous that is. When it says "Each of the four maps are designed for limited player counts". Why do we need premium time when you can't even launch with a 12v12 on a 1v1, 2v2, 4v4?

How are you supposed to test or to express your opinion with the force of premium time.

Edited by Heartless Saint, 26 March 2016 - 01:48 PM.

#22 Kageru Ikazuchi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 10:13 PM

First the good ...
  • the size of the map is just about perfect, duels are quick, you can spot you opponent far enough out to maneuver a bit in response
  • the symmetry is a very nice change of pace
Now the stuff to improve ...
  • more hard cover is needed in the center area (the columns an alcoves are nice touches)
  • more elevation changes, to include some higher elevation areas that could have limited long-range sight lines, would also make the map more interesting

#23 wargnome

Rookie

• IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 07:25 AM

im also a big fan of 1v1 to 4v4. and ofc i extremely appreciate that such maps have been added.

i would also suggest instead of trying to suite every need for this map, a small variety of simple 1v1 maps could do the job.

as for the current 1v1 map. i consider it a deathmatch arena (and reminds me strongly of Quake 1 arena i used to play w friends via dialup loong ago): its relatively small, oval shaped, still mainly it is open space -
with this in mind, it should definitely NOT be bigger and can actually stay the way it is. the maximum range is above spotting distance, so if both opponents want to engage in long range combat, they actually can. even with mixed matchups (e.g. med vs long range), it is totally playable. one can go ahead on damage while the other will catch up once hes closer.

one problem that is mentioned a lot is the height and slope of the hills. it is defnitiely an issue with big mechs and big hitboxes. but again, to me it is a deathmatch arena where both opponents are there to smack each other up, not play peek-a-boo. (i admit having done that with trial ebon jags tho)) currently, whenever i want to engage in long range combat in a small competitive setting, i use 4v4 Test B (and sometimes A). theyre great for long range!

if you add, say, three 1v1 maps total eventually, all needs could be taken care of. have another map, which is bigger, with real cover for long range combat (like the central part of viridian bog, only a bit stretched. with cover low and high. without roots ofc). and have another one with mixed terrain. that way, the current 1v1 arena can pretty much stay the way it is.

personally, i would really appreciate a map that is more suited for jump jets, though. so far, only 4v4 Test A allows some tactics that make good use of them.

Edited by wargnome, 13 April 2016 - 07:31 AM.

#24 N F X

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 691 posts
  • Location48°52.6′S 123°23.6′W

Posted 24 April 2016 - 10:20 AM

I would like something in the center Section whre you can hide. Big Rocks or Something. Because if you are out of the starting Location you are just in the open and cant hide yourself.

#25 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 12 May 2016 - 10:52 AM

Just to square up development on these maps, I'm going to draw a line in the sand and ask for further feedback from this point on. Our new Level Designer Liz will be tracking your feedback and will check in with you as updates are released in the patches.

#26 762 NATO

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 312 posts
  • LocationUnder the desk of the Magestrix of Canopus

Posted 29 June 2016 - 11:43 PM

I. Absolutely. Love. This. Map.

[GROG] has lots of duels on a regular basis. When I get to choose maps, it is always this one. Why? Good sight lines, good cover, over quickly (ever dueled on HPG?), good temperature for all builds (30C).

With the addition of the blocks, it made it even better. Duels are usually face tanking and damage dealt with a lot of location damage (Table and your stupid BH2).

Don't change it. It is perfect apart from texturing and going out of bounds because you hugged a wall or used jump jets.

#27 ghoost dragoon

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 01:30 PM

AH! ALLAH! I DUWANNA DIE!

#28 Sauron

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 77 posts
  • LocationMordor, NJ

Posted 26 October 2016 - 07:48 AM

View PostWing 0, on 07 March 2016 - 02:51 PM, said:

I wonder if we could've had maps that had some degree of what MechWarrior 4 Mercs had. Factory, jungle, rubble pile, tropical and so on etc. paul you should look at those solaris 7 maps in that game. There were maps that had a good feel that would work great with 1v1, 4v4, and so on settings.

soooo much this, that would make me extremely happy, those maps worked very well for 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4 and even up to 8 person free for alls. Fantastic maps. I know we cannot have those exact maps, but I agree that these are something worth looking at and using for examples of great small maps.

#29 Natred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 716 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 28 December 2016 - 01:48 PM

I really like the map but please make the 1 vs 1 maps support up to 12 people vs 12 people on them in a private match. :D for ultra fun! Strongest will survive and a free for all mode.

#30 EXO-Scorpion

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 91 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 09:59 AM

I would love a 1v1 solo solaris 7 PUBLIC QUEUE as another OPTION to EARN Mech XP & Cbills!!! No more relying on team "pug lottery" frustration!

Its just MANO vs MANO . . . 1v1 let the guy with the better skill and or mech build Win!!!

Think about it... 1v1 public Mech XP queue would actually create a "FAIR MATCH" with PGI's match maker and Tier system for ONCE!

Think about it . . . . think . . .

#31 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 06:51 AM

Personally i think the 1v1 map is way too small for any sort of strategy other then a direct confrontation / brawl, sneaking, stealth and ambushing are almost impossible.

I have done a lot of 1v1's in Chromehounds, these matches always took place on the same maps as the regular group matches. It asked they very best of the pilot, not only pure fighting / brawling skills, but exceptional situational awareness, map control and tactics to get the best advantage towards your opponent as possible.

What i would like to see is a mode / map that features some sort of mix / combination of scouting mode, domination and assault.

The idea is simple:

Spread out over the map are various data capture points (visible on the map) that should be captured and both sides have 1 mobile field base (domination) that should be destroyed / defended.

Win conditions:
The player (/team) that has destroyed the enemy field base instantly wins the round.
The player (/team) that has captured most of these points (points can be re-capped) at the end of the round timer wins.
The player (/team) that eliminates the other player / team instantly wins the round.

You should be able to see what data capture points are neutral or controlled by whichever side. Capping a data point should not be visible but only on completion (this is an indicator where enemy was last located). When the field base is taking damage a notification should be given.

Several ways to win and the interesting aspect is that one needs to move out to cap data points or to destroy the enemy base to win but at the risk to instantly loose when own base is destroyed.

The 1v1 is all about choices, not only picking the right mech for this mode / map, but also during the round.
Do you move further and further away to cap data points but risk loosing on the base?
Do you stay at the base and setup an ambush but risk loosing on points?
Do you go straight for the enemy base and do you force a brawl there?
Do you feint a base rush and setup an ambush near recently capped data point?
Or are you going to control the map by methodically moving out, scanning and scouting for the enemy while you expand your territory as you cap data points?

#32 Solahma

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 1,364 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNerv HQ, Tokyo-3

Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:22 PM

Had an awesome fight in the Masters Challenge vs. Bearclaw. But I will be lying if i'm not a little upset that my last alpha of SRM24 didn't get to connect because they hit an invisible pillar corner.

These are very well known and I knew it was there, but even when you think you're far enough around them, you still hit them occasionally. This turns the upper platform area into a huge gamble in many matches.

Please PLEASE do a pass improving this geometry. In order for the map to be truly competitive, issues like this shouldn't exist.

https://clips.twitch...nedPoxEleGiggle

https://gfycat.com/ColorfulElatedBoutu

Edited by Solahma, 18 April 2017 - 09:39 PM.

#33 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:21 AM

+1,000 for reviewing the collision meshes on those pillars. They are awful and have actually decided the result of a few 1v1s.

#34 W0LFKNIGHT

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 11:16 AM

This might just be because I'm using a lower end CPU to run the game but the arena maps are really resource heavy and cause me to lag a lot. I am effectively unable to play on this map while I can run every other map just fine.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users