#41 pbiggz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 08 March 2016 - 12:17 PM

View Postcdlord, on 08 March 2016 - 11:15 AM, said:

VietBog is my favorite maps. On no other map can a good plan turn into such a cluster f*ck sh*tstorm so quickly.

#42 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 08 March 2016 - 12:26 PM

View Postpbiggz, on 08 March 2016 - 12:17 PM, said:

The irony is astounding.

#43 MrMadguy

• 2,203 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 12:57 PM

Bog needs just one tweak to become perfect - stairs from both sides of plateaus in the middle of the map. Then it may even rise from Neutral to Good.
Posted Image

#44 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 08 March 2016 - 02:15 PM

View PostMrMadguy, on 08 March 2016 - 12:57 PM, said:

Bog needs just one tweak to become perfect - stairs from both sides of plateaus in the middle of the map. Then it may even rise from Neutral to Good.
Posted Image

Polar Highlands unplayable? Crimson Strait bad? Frozen city good?

What the **** kind of list is that?

#45 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 02:36 PM

View Postmogs01gt, on 08 March 2016 - 06:03 AM, said:

They really messed up when they designed the ramps on those plateaus in C4. one team has to expose their backs to walk up it.

all they need to do is put ramps on both sides.

#46 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 02:42 PM

View Postpbiggz, on 08 March 2016 - 02:15 PM, said:

Holy crap, do we actually agree on something?? :D

#47 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 08 March 2016 - 02:45 PM

View Postcdlord, on 08 March 2016 - 02:42 PM, said:

Holy crap, do we actually agree on something?? Posted Image

Crimson is one of the best maps. River City isn't nearly as bad as people say it is, you just can't park anywhere you have to keep moving. Polar Highlands is no better for LRMs than literally any other map, in fact, alpine is significantly worse. Those slopes have less hiding places than polar highlands' numerous ditches and trenches.

Frozen city is a trash map in every way.

#48 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 02:48 PM

View Postpbiggz, on 08 March 2016 - 02:45 PM, said:

Crimson is one of the best maps. River City isn't nearly as bad as people say it is, you just can't park anywhere you have to keep moving. Polar Highlands is no better for LRMs than literally any other map, in fact, alpine is significantly worse. Those slopes have less hiding places than polar highlands' numerous ditches and trenches.

Ah and you ruined the feelz. I like all the maps though I do have my favorites. :)

#49 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 08 March 2016 - 02:54 PM

View Postcdlord, on 08 March 2016 - 02:48 PM, said:

Ah and you ruined the feelz. I like all the maps though I do have my favorites. Posted Image

Ah well. Whats the internet for other than disagreeing with people?

#50 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 02:55 PM

View Postpbiggz, on 08 March 2016 - 02:45 PM, said:

River City isn't nearly as bad as people say it is, you just can't park anywhere you have to keep moving.

You've answered your own question. ;-)

#51 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 08 March 2016 - 03:27 PM

View PostYozzman, on 08 March 2016 - 06:56 AM, said:

Dumb *** corridor map with extra bits of branches that trap 100ton mechs...

This is the crux of the problem, and most people don't see it.

Viridian bog is a narrow, curved corridor, with a deathtrap river running alongside it. And it has 2 huge plateaus at the center which lead to very limited options and, thus, extremely predictable gameplay.

If they fix Viridian Bog, the first thing they need to do is to stop limiting player movement on every damn map.

#52 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 03:49 PM

Even considering the potential lopsideness of Bog - I'll be quite bothered if Frozen City doesn't get redone next. That map is no where near large enough for 12v12 and it was barely big enough for 8v8.

#53 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 04:50 PM

I love bog, and judging from the amount of times I end up playing it, I'm not in the minority.

It could do with some optimization, yes, but I'd rather preserve its layout. Redoing maps seems to be a bit of a toss up, River City came out alright, but I hesitate to say Forest Colony or Caustic gained anything from their facelift.

#54 HerrRed

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 116 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 06:42 PM

View Postpbiggz, on 08 March 2016 - 02:15 PM, said:

This post made my day. Frozen city (or as me and my friends call it, Frozen ******) is the worst map in the game. Small, cramped and plays always the same. Polar is the best and most diverse map because you have little block your movement. And LRMs are not that big of a problem if you are not affraid to do some tactical withdrawals (running away). Crimson straight is the next best though most of the time the match develops similarly.

River city is ok if both teams don't just camp on each side of the river and lob lrms back and forward. For me the map that could be vastly improved is the forest colony one. If they removed that huge mountain in the middle and gave us more useable area, the map would be awesome as you would have a lot more options.

In the bog, my matches usually are decided on the ground. Sure the plateaus are usefull but those insect shells and small hills allow you to overwatch open spaces and control the access. Had a game there not too long ago where me and 4 other mechs held at the b2 (iirc) grid while the rest of the team continued behind the platou farthest from the water and after clearing the 2 or 3 mechs on the plateau threre just rolled up the enemy team. Hammer and anvil.

#55 ReemusX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 299 posts
  • LocationMidwest USA

Posted 08 March 2016 - 07:34 PM

I think the map is fine other than it is far too cluttered up with obstacles. IMO this is a light/mediums map and a laser map. Ballistics do horribly on this map unless you completely expose yourself in the very very few open areas just to get hits without hitting the scenery. Lasers are able to shoot between trees and can be tracked to score those little hits.

Only change would be to reduce the amount of clutter and leave the large obstacles as cover. No more tiny indestructible branches and tiny trees that you can't use for cover and are simply in the way... Like that dammned crane arm on Crimson Straight in the lower section.... It is ALWAYS in the way and can't be destroyed.

#56 VirtualRiot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 201 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 07:54 PM

View PostMister Blastman, on 08 March 2016 - 08:04 AM, said:

The problem is your mentality and the italics highlight it. The problem is you feel there is nowhere to go. The problem is you feel you must hide behind the hill. The problem... is you.

D4 is a great spot... IF... you do NOT turn right and and go through the ship and around the hill along the depressed area.

D4 is a great spot... IF... you... GO UP THE HILL!! (ooooooooooh!)

D4 is a great spot... IF... you do not stay down below it hiding in cover.

D4 is a great spot for BOTH teams to assert a dominant position on the map. But... it requires something special. It requires COURAGE!

So, next time, don't go to D4 and prepare to die. Do something when you get there useful! Tank damage, deal damage, Climb that hill and shoot stuff! Get up there, throw your arms high into the air and shout, "I OWN THIS MAP AND YOU WILL ALL BE DESTROYED!"

It isn't complicated.

Hiding with cover isn't a viable long-term strategy.

I hope this post helps you be a more productive player in MWO. I speak bluntly with hopes that others, too, may benefit and learn. Posted Image

a big *** ***** for this game only gets me so far Blastman

#57 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 08 March 2016 - 10:10 PM

View PostVirtualRiot, on 08 March 2016 - 07:54 PM, said:

a big *** ***** for this game only gets me so far Blastman

Sorry but I can't read through the stars. What are you trying to say?

#58 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 09 March 2016 - 12:01 AM

I'd favour reworking Terra Therma because it's a map that can be fixed easily. Remove the pug-zapper and the map plays fine.

Bog I wouldn't bother with because I really feel this map is beyond help, and I can hardly think of a thing I wouldn't change about it. I'm not sure where to begin. Cramped, stuff to get stuck on, you can't see anything, stupid and contrived three-level geometry with stairways in what's ostensibly natural landscape. Sucks for all the reasons why Polar is the best map in the game.

#59 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 09 March 2016 - 12:24 AM

Yeah, Viridian bog is my Favourite map too. ^__^ so nice to see a good bog thread. I was rather disappointed in the lack of mention of how jump jets can be pretty darn useful this map, but still, it's good to talk about the things we love.

Rather'n redo it though, I'd be happy if they just made a second map, like how they made polar highlands rather'n redo alpine peaks. I'm just not sure what more could be done to 'improve' the map without changing it enough to just make a whole new one. Granted, I also miss old forest colony, so take that as you will.

~Leone.

#60 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 09 March 2016 - 03:23 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 08 March 2016 - 03:27 PM, said:

If they fix Viridian Bog, the first thing they need to do is to stop limiting player movement on every damn map.

Which I hope they won't, because this is esactly why I love Bog: while most people get stuck, I don't.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users