68 replies to this topic

#21 Naglinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 975 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 08 March 2016 - 03:50 PM

Well jumpships do leave jump points as obliviously they must occasionally go back to shipyards for maintenance. And warships are jumpships which have compact KF drives so they are also jumpships who leave jump points and orbit planets. And there is nothing stated that dropships HAVE to land on planets but like 99 percent do. This thing is barely canon and barely a dropship but i suppose you may call it that.

#22 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 08 March 2016 - 03:52 PM

Meanwhile, I want Union-class dropships. Because I love me some egg-shaped dropships.

#23 Zolaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 08 March 2016 - 04:07 PM

Respawns? All I want from this dropship is a choice to choose one of 4 mechs for whatever game mode/map ya'll have chosen. I have over 100 mechs, might as well have a drop ship or two as well.

#24 Thunder Child

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 08 March 2016 - 04:37 PM

Sounds like this thing is similar to the Hephaestus station that Wolf's Dragoons used to tow around with them (till some Dirty Kuritans killed all of the Wolf Civvies, and blew it up!).

I could see it being used as a blockade style vessel for extended campaigns in a system, especially if the campaign is occurring across multiple planetoids in the system.

As far as jumpships entering systems is concerned, if I remember rightly, they could only arrive or depart from locations that were gravitationally neutral. The Zenith and Nadir points are set and known locations that are always stable, but cocky (or foolhardy) jumpship captains could use Pirate Points to jump in much closer to the target planet. These Pirate Points were usually caused by planetary and lunar body alignments creating small pockets of stability that would allow a jumpship to pop in, but were very dangerous.

This is all from memory from some of the novels I've read, so anyone with a canonical source, feel free to correct me.

Either way, makes as much sense as Hephaestus station.

#25 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 08 March 2016 - 05:24 PM

View PostAccused, on 08 March 2016 - 01:27 PM, said:

Argo allows for a pretty good in-universe excuse for respawns just like in a CW drop deck. Could use this as the basis for potential gameplay modes. Pick 4 mechs and have them drop from an Argo.

Also needed an excuse to post pictures.

Posted Image

Posted Image

{note}: Having trouble posting the gifs, but they look beautiful.

I like it. ALOT. :) In game by 2035.

By the way I always hoped the load screens would look like that rather than pics of a map I already get to see enough.

+1 for content.

View Postcdlord, on 08 March 2016 - 02:46 PM, said:

YEAH! OMG! I got this update too. I DL's all the pics but the Argo looks more like a Jumpship than a Dropship (ie it carries a Leopard). Still cool though. I was debating posting it, glad you did. :)

Update from what?? That is one of the finest BT pics I have seen yet.

Edited by Johnny Z, 08 March 2016 - 05:33 PM.

#26 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 08 March 2016 - 06:07 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 08 March 2016 - 05:24 PM, said:

Update from what?? That is one of the finest BT pics I have seen yet.

https://www.kickstar...h/posts/1512716

It's from the new BT game Harebrained is working on.

#27 Intrepid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 265 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 06:59 PM

View PostThunder Child, on 08 March 2016 - 04:37 PM, said:

Sounds like this thing is similar to the Hephaestus station that Wolf's Dragoons used to tow around with them (till some Dirty Kuritans killed all of the Wolf Civvies, and blew it up!).

Totally not how it happened Posted Image

#28 Thunder Child

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 08 March 2016 - 07:12 PM

View PostIntrepid, on 08 March 2016 - 06:59 PM, said:

Totally not how it happened Posted Image

Totally how I remember it happening though. Were they Blakist Kuritans? Or were they just a DEST team pretending to be Kuritan Patriots?
I remember that there was some sort of sub-plot, just can't remember what it was. I will have to re-read Wolves on the Border.

#29 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 08 March 2016 - 10:20 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 08 March 2016 - 02:44 PM, said:

pfft

I want one of these:

Posted Image

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Avalon

She can deploy 6 drop ships and has enough fire power to wipe out entire mech regiments in the blink of an eye.

What I always found funny is how much the Avalon looks like the Beast ship, Naggarok, from Homeworld Cataclysm.
Posted Image

#30 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 09 March 2016 - 02:41 AM

View Postcdlord, on 08 March 2016 - 02:46 PM, said:

YEAH! OMG! I got this update too. I DL's all the pics but the Argo looks more like a Jumpship than a Dropship (ie it carries a Leopard). Still cool though. I was debating posting it, glad you did. Posted Image

I posted it in off-topic earlier, but I think 13 people saw it lol.

http://mwomercs.com/...23894-the-argo/

I should have posted it in the General Forum, but I didn't really think it fit MWO. I'll just have to do something like the OP for the next Battletech Kickstarter Update (loosely attach it to MWO). Posted Image

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 09 March 2016 - 02:42 AM.

#31 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 09 March 2016 - 05:30 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 09 March 2016 - 02:41 AM, said:

I posted it in off-topic earlier, but I think 13 people saw it lol.

http://mwomercs.com/...23894-the-argo/

I should have posted it in the General Forum, but I didn't really think it fit MWO. I'll just have to do something like the OP for the next Battletech Kickstarter Update (loosely attach it to MWO). Posted Image

Yeah, I rarely ever go anywhere other than GenDis. Much more action over here. :)

#32 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 March 2016 - 05:37 AM

Just do it like the Steiner do.
Take a Naval Gauss
Load it with an Atlas (head pointing towards the planet)
Booom!
Splat!

Drop completed. Easy and fast.

Edited by Rushin Roulette, 09 March 2016 - 05:37 AM.

#33 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 09 March 2016 - 07:17 AM

View PostRushin Roulette, on 09 March 2016 - 05:37 AM, said:

Take a Naval Gauss
Booom!
Splat!

Reminds me of this picture straight from the Battletech Forum. This pic just makes me crack up...
Posted Image

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 09 March 2016 - 07:26 AM.

#34 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 09 March 2016 - 07:25 AM

Absolutely pointless addition to the game.

Cannot jump (and even if it could we have no interplanetary-interstellar travel), cannot land or even enter an atmosphere (so you would never be able to see it).

THis makes as much sense and difference in the current game as putting Hello Kitty stickers all over the server racks. Except that someone might actually get to see those...

In addition, according to lore exactly ONE still exists IIRC...

The only point I see at to even model this at all is as a cockpit item.

If you really have that much of a hardon for it, just imagine your mechbay is inside a leopard dropship that´s docked to an argo, problem solved.

Edited by Zerberus, 09 March 2016 - 07:26 AM.

#35 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 09 March 2016 - 07:31 AM

View PostZerberus, on 09 March 2016 - 07:25 AM, said:

Absolutely pointless addition to the game.

Cannot jump (and even if it could we have no interplanetary-interstellar travel), cannot land or even enter an atmosphere (so you would never be able to see it).

THis makes as much sense and difference in the current game as putting Hello Kitty stickers all over the server racks. Except that someone might actually get to see those...

In addition, according to lore exactly ONE still exists IIRC...

The only point I see at to even model this at all is as a cockpit item.

If you really have that much of a hardon for it, just imagine your mechbay is inside a leopard dropship that´s docked to an argo, problem solved.

I'm just going to point out that the OP wasn't too serious about adding the Argo to the game, he just wanted to make an excuse to post a Battletech game item in the General Discussion of the MWO Forums. I don't believe he had any serious interest in working the Argo into a legitimate game mode.

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 09 March 2016 - 07:32 AM.

#36 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,559 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 08:03 AM

View PostSpiralFace, on 08 March 2016 - 01:58 PM, said:

Yeah, I'm curious as to how this thing attaches to Jump ships though.

In BT fiction, Dropships are designed explicitly for inter-system transportation, so those leopards alone should be enough to transport themselves throughout an individual system and all the way up to the systems Zenith and Nader points. But the ship seems too small to fit a KF drive to make hyperspace jumps to become an inter galactic vessel.

Its interesting to think of it as an intra-system wide drop ship delivery system, but it seems like a redundant need when the Dropships themselves can do that. But if this thing is too massive to dock with a jump ship, it almost seems like a waist of a space craft. Since Dropships alone can act as inter-system travel, while there is still a need for Jumpships for Intergalactic travel.

The wording in HBS' update was telling - the Argo was built as a portable space station. Smaller DropShips can act as shuttles, but they aren't usually fit for long-term habitation. The Argo was meant to be comfortably lived in for years at a stretch while a colony on the surface got off the ground (and, coincidentally, be an Ark the colony could evacuate to if conditions on the surface punked out), and was also a supply storehouse for the system. It meant the JumpShip could go about its Jumpy business while the Argo maneuvered around the system to be where it was needed, possibly moving between different planets in a system if more than one happened to be habitable, or between a habitable planet and asteroid mining stations if required, or other such stuff.

It's a little fiddly, but just like HBS said - the concept is reasonably sound, if one assumes a universe where war is not a constant thing and resource decline hasn't rendered everything that isn't a gun a waste of time.

#37 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 09 March 2016 - 08:07 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 09 March 2016 - 07:31 AM, said:

I'm just going to point out that the OP wasn't too serious about adding the Argo to the game, he just wanted to make an excuse to post a Battletech game item in the General Discussion of the MWO Forums. I don't believe he had any serious interest in working the Argo into a legitimate game mode.

HE didn`t, that much is probably true.:D :D :D

And the art IS nice ;)

#38 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 08:25 AM

That thing is remarkably ugly.
I hope there won't be squandered any resources on implementing it, EVER.

#39 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 09 March 2016 - 08:30 AM

View PostRushin Roulette, on 09 March 2016 - 05:37 AM, said:

Take a Naval Gauss
Booom!
Splat!

Posted Image

#40 Volkodav

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,361 posts
  • LocationЯрославль. RDL.

Posted 09 March 2016 - 11:32 PM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 09 March 2016 - 07:31 AM, said:

Launcher \ Home: your jumpship or several jumpships (for larger units) and choice of some variants jumpships for MC or $), also dropships (leopard, union, overlord and etc).
Location in space - according to your faction and the front line.

Click on the menu:
Bridge - testing ground, quick play, tutorials.
Command Center - faction play.
Mechbays \ Mechlab - what we have now in mechlab (select mech, group weapons, loadout, camo spec, cockpit).
Barracks - skills (mech skills and pilot skills).
Capt Qarters - store, black market, titles and badges, achievements, statistics, redeem code and other.

PGI plz! - and my money will be yours)

Edited by Volkodav, 09 March 2016 - 11:39 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users