53 replies to this topic

#41 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 03:34 PM

View PostRevis Volek, on 09 March 2016 - 03:10 PM, said:

According to some very extensive testing done by Mcgral, this is wrong and we found it to be 50%. You have some proof otherwise? id be very curious to see, maybe my breakdown is wrong.

Damage is recorded at a 50% rate, but the points you get towards your match score FROM damage is generally equal to roughly 80% of your end score when everything is tallied up. Simply because everything else adds so few points comparatively.

#42 Lukoi Banacek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 03:45 PM

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 09 March 2016 - 08:00 AM, said:

Want my advice? Don't worry about it and have fun.

Best comment yet.

#43 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 04:29 PM

At one point I believe the cutoffs were 100, 250 and 400 for the different regimes of match score. This is mostly from experience confirmed by other users but whether the cutoffs are exactly these numbers, in this general range or actually vary from match to match isn't clear ... especially if PGI has modified the system.

WIN
MS < 100 - PSR no change
MS > 100 - PSR goes up

LOSS
MS < 250 - PSR goes down
MS > 250 < 400 - PSR stays the same
MS > 400 - PSR goes up

Other than that, I believe that PGI was planning some changes to PSR adjustments but I don't know if any changes were actually implemented. There is also the question of HOW MUCH PSR changes in each of the different bands and whether the change is linear or some other function of match score.

#44 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 09 March 2016 - 04:36 PM

View Postcdlord, on 09 March 2016 - 03:22 PM, said:

But I already do. :) I love my LOLcusts and I did very well in my Kit Fox with just a single CERPPC. :D

Drop the ERPPC! Run 2MG's and 2SPL for offensive capabilities, everything else is for group tools. triple AMS, ECM and TAG

#45 Monodominant

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 113 posts
  • LocationWarsaw, Poland

Posted 09 March 2016 - 05:07 PM

Its not that I want to progress fast...

Its just that I was surprised when my new account surpassed me within 10-15 games.

I understand that it seems new players get a boost not just in MCs (cadet achievement) but in PSR and that to me sounds like a TERRIBLE idea. Instead of allowing new players to hang out with Tier 4-5 players that wont massacre a quick progression to 3 (and maybe even 2, depending a bit on luck and getting good teams that carry you) would lead to quick disappointment and anger.

From my perspective the PSR is fine in taking account of spotting, assisting, capturing objectives etc as well as damage but the VITAL part missing is what mech class you are playing. Because I regularly get 500++ damage with my Quickdraws/Banshees but obviously with my Blackjack I am happy if I get 300+ damage... and I have gotten 300-400 damage multiple times and a decent match score but a lost match will drop me down significantly. Sure, your match score isnt JUST damage but obviously damage is the biggest factor (if as some posters say damage is 50% and the rest is ALL the other factors then they obviously are just partial fractions of that 50%).

Again, I dont care to be tier 1-2 but I was really surprised how I could go on be top scorer and top damager in multiple matches in a BJ-1, outperform Heavies and Assaults and still lose PSR or be = while at the same time being stuck at Tier 4...

Thanks everyone for your responses!

#46 Cath

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 05:08 PM

View PostMonodominant, on 09 March 2016 - 08:10 AM, said:

Well... they put it there and its visible so...

But I imagine there should be a weight for what kind of mech you are in. Match Score is directly correlated with damage... and sure, you get MS for other things as well (assists, spots, caps etc.) but the big one is damage... and you cant do THAT much damage in a light or a medium (with some exceptions) in a balanced match...

well.....that's not entirely accurate. depends on what "that much" is. I only have 3 lights that I own and play. Urbies. With med pulses and mg's I can pull 500+ damage games semi often. I have quite a few stinkers too, but average damage between all my mech classes really isnt that much different. Lights 200-ish, heavies 350-ish, meds in between. (don't really play assaults)

And on a side note, I'm stuck in t4 also. Played 2 years ago for a short while, came back this past x-mas to mid tier 5. 1k games later, mid tier 4. perhaps i'm just that shitake mushroom, but I cant get the break points that often in a loss.

Edited by Cath, 09 March 2016 - 05:12 PM.

#47 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 09 March 2016 - 05:18 PM

View PostMonodominant, on 09 March 2016 - 05:07 PM, said:

Its just that I was surprised when my new account surpassed me within 10-15 games.

I understand that it seems new players get a boost not just in MCs (cadet achievement) but in PSR and that to me sounds like a TERRIBLE idea. Instead of allowing new players to hang out with Tier 4-5 players that wont massacre a quick progression to 3 (and maybe even 2, depending a bit on luck and getting good teams that carry you) would lead to quick disappointment and anger.

From my perspective the PSR is fine in taking account of spotting, assisting, capturing objectives etc as well as damage but the VITAL part missing is what mech class you are playing. Because I regularly get 500++ damage with my Quickdraws/Banshees but obviously with my Blackjack I am happy if I get 300+ damage... and I have gotten 300-400 damage multiple times and a decent match score but a lost match will drop me down significantly. Sure, your match score isnt JUST damage but obviously damage is the biggest factor (if as some posters say damage is 50% and the rest is ALL the other factors then they obviously are just partial fractions of that 50%).

Again, I dont care to be tier 1-2 but I was really surprised how I could go on be top scorer and top damager in multiple matches in a BJ-1, outperform Heavies and Assaults and still lose PSR or be = while at the same time being stuck at Tier 4...

Thanks everyone for your responses!

It's an even worse idea to allow someone who should be in tier 1 or 2 to spend too much time in tier 4 or 5 on an alt account. The people in tier 4 and 5 should either be new and learning or simply unable to perform better on a regular basis for whatever reason.

#48 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 07:55 PM

Just a quick example of how it adds up, I don't recall the actual set numbers but these are close.

If you do 300 damage - 150 match score
1 kill - +10
1 assist or anything else that adds in - +1

So that would make a 40 shot alpha on target worth 2x the match score of 1 kill, and 10x the match score of each individual other thing - though they can and do add up pretty quickly if you are making a point to earn them. Damage is still king of match score and earning xp/tier points across all tiers, but very heavily weighted in lower tiers because you can't count on 8 of your team to break 100 damage.

If you mission is to get out of tier 4 - the only reliable way to do that is to score 600+ damage and at least 1 kill (plus some of the other bonuses you should naturally accrue) to make sure every match is moving the bar upwards regardless of win or loss, getting the biggest upward movement on the wins and medium on the losses.

#49 Tier 1 Smurf

• PipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 11:52 AM

T1 is better because you get less of these players.

#50 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 12:53 PM

View PostRevis Volek, on 09 March 2016 - 03:10 PM, said:

According to some very extensive testing done by Mcgral, this is wrong and we found it to be 50%. You have some proof otherwise? id be very curious to see, maybe my breakdown is wrong.

Sure, every screenshot I have backs me up. I'm at work right now, though, so don't have access to them.

I'm pretty sure that McGral's research backs me up, too. What he found is that 2 pts of damage = 1 pt of match score. That's not the same thing as "damage is 50% of match score," though. My results almost always have my damage in the 70-80% of match score range.

I'll post some when I get home... I'm West Coast, so it'll be late tonight for East Coasters.

#51 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 01:10 PM

Just remembered that I have some from a while ago in my photobucket account. :) Sorry for the size... photobucket does something to my uploads which prevents me from linking them at full size.

Posted Image

Note that I have a match score of 463 and 645 damage. 645 damage is worth 323 match score (which is what McGral found in his research), which is 69.8% of match score in this case, not 50%.

#52 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 02:03 PM

View PostMonodominant, on 09 March 2016 - 05:07 PM, said:

You're misunderstanding how the system works. When you make a new account it doesn't just catapult you upward. If you don't do well and you lose matches it will plummet you downward just as quickly.

Now what you can do is make a compelling argument that PSR moves too slowly for regular players once you get beyond the seeding stage. That's evidenced by the fact that you were able to quickly get into Tier 3 on a new account but are seemingly getting no where on your main account.

#53 Tier 1 Smurf

• PipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 02:51 PM

View PostJman5, on 10 March 2016 - 02:03 PM, said:

You're misunderstanding how the system works. When you make a new account it doesn't just catapult you upward. If you don't do well and you lose matches it will plummet you downward just as quickly.

Sort of.

During the seeding games, I've done 400 team damage and like 10 dmg to the enemy and sandbagged lost> and while it drops the PSR like a brick, it doesn't go down as much as it goes up on something like 1600dmg 6 kill win games during that time.

#54 Death Proof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 546 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:18 AM

Winning + Match Score is the most important factor in leveling PSR.

If you're relying on Match Score alone, you'll be waiting a long time to level up.

And yes, PSR is a leveling mechanic.

The more winning games you play the faster you'll level up and win the prize of getting curb stomped match after match by the game's best players.

lol

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users