60 replies to this topic

#1 Gentleman Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrench
  • The Wrench
  • 733 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, the land of slurpees and potholes

Posted 09 March 2016 - 11:16 AM

Here's my opinions on how some weapons in the game should be rebalanced. Bear in mind that this is simply my opinion, I'm always willing to lend an ear to someone who has a different idea, so please don't be "that guy" and tell me that one of my ideas are stupid without providing info as to why and what would be a better way. I'd like to thank Scout Derek and Sandpit for the suggestion of splitting up my original post into segments as well as how to make everything here easier to read, as I have little experience making posts on these forums. Please keep it civil in here and bring your own ideas on how else certain things can be balanced.

I'd like to thank Scout Derek and Sandpit for the suggestion of splitting up my original post into segments as well as how to make everything here easier to read, as I have little experience making posts on these forums.

Small laser:
Spoiler

Clan lasers:
Spoiler

PPC/ERPPC:
Spoiler

Clan ERPPC:
Spoiler

Flamer:
Spoiler

Autocannon/2:
Spoiler

Autocannon/5:
Spoiler

Autocannon/10:
Spoiler

Autocannon/20:
Spoiler

Clan Autocannons:
Spoiler

LB-X Autocannons:
Spoiler

Ultra-Autocannons:
Spoiler

Gauss Rifle:
Spoiler

Machine-Gun:
Spoiler

LRMs and C-LRMs:
Spoiler

SRMs and C-SRMs:
Spoiler

Edited by Elit3 Nick, 09 March 2016 - 01:28 PM.
I merged threads, should look better now.

#2 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 09 March 2016 - 11:57 AM

I'd really suggest you break those into multiple threads. You're going to have a miserable time trying to keep your thread on topic when you're covering that much information across that many different systems in the game.

#3 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 09 March 2016 - 12:00 PM

I like most of what you have to say. Kinda lost me at moving away from TT though. First, we'd have to be at TT values to move away from it, and second, moving away from it is what I believe how we got into this mess.

#4 Gentleman Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrench
  • The Wrench
  • 733 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 12:01 PM

View PostSandpit, on 09 March 2016 - 11:57 AM, said:

I'd really suggest you break those into multiple threads. You're going to have a miserable time trying to keep your thread on topic when you're covering that much information across that many different systems in the game.

Breaking it up in which way? One thread for weapons alone?

#5 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 09 March 2016 - 12:05 PM

View PostElit3 Nick, on 09 March 2016 - 12:01 PM, said:

In a way yes, such as a thread for Weapons, a thread for equipment, and a thread for the engine.

Plus the lack of usage of the spoiler function is really tough on people who just want to respond to one topic on this.

If you don't know how to use it, you first go [.spoiler] (without period, to prevent it from making it at this point), move the text/ picture you want after it, and then at the end, put [/spoiler].

It should look something like this:

Spoiler

I can do it for you if you like.

#6 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 09 March 2016 - 12:08 PM

View PostElit3 Nick, on 09 March 2016 - 12:01 PM, said:

well, each section there you listed above?
Breaking it down as much as possible will help you manage the thread in the longrun and keep it on topic. You've got some good ideas up there, but the majority of people here aren't going to read through that entire post and are going to pick out one or two subjects they feel are important to them and you're going to wind up with 50 different discussions going on in your thread

#7 thehiddenedge

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 326 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 12:25 PM

I'm not sure I'm going to trust someone who calls themselves eilt3...

See what I did there?
Instead of focusing on the content of your post, I instead resorted to personal attacks. This is because on some level I feel insulted that you would expect me to read all of that text and make an intelligent reply.

Nah it's not really that bad, but there are some people...

You make some good points, but there's so much to even cover to keep a focused discussion going. I'm also going to have to agree with what cdlord said. Straying away from TT is part of what got us into this weird place we are right now as far as balance.

#8 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 09 March 2016 - 12:28 PM

View Postthehiddenedge, on 09 March 2016 - 12:25 PM, said:

I'm not sure I'm going to trust someone who calls themselves eilt3...

See what I did there?
Instead of focusing on the content of your post, I instead resorted to personal attacks. This is because on some level I feel insulted that you would expect me to read all of that text and make an intelligent reply.

Nah it's not really that bad, but there are some people...

You make some good points, but there's so much to even cover to keep a focused discussion going. I'm also going to have to agree with what cdlord said. Straying away from TT is part of what got us into this weird place we are right now as far as balance.

Actually, compared to some of the wall-o-texts I have seen on these forums, this one was well organized and read quickly. 10/10.
I'm on the fence about spoilers. While it would reduce the first impression wall-o-text, it would also necessitate more mouse clicks. If I wanted that, I'd log into the game... Posted Image

#9 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 12:29 PM

err, I'm going to combine your two threads, unapprove the old first post as well, standby...

Done, should look better now, no?

Edited by Scout Derek, 09 March 2016 - 12:33 PM.

#10 thehiddenedge

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 326 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 12:34 PM

View Postcdlord, on 09 March 2016 - 12:28 PM, said:

Actually, compared to some of the wall-o-texts I have seen on these forums, this one was well organized and read quickly. 10/10.
I'm on the fence about spoilers. While it would reduce the first impression wall-o-text, it would also necessitate more mouse clicks. If I wanted that, I'd log into the game... Posted Image

Nah, I was just giving him a hard time. It was actually organized pretty well for a forum post. There's just so many different topics to branch out on there. I don't know where to start.

Small lasers I can totally agree with a shorter duration time. Last time I looked there wasn't much of a gap between small and medium.

I was actually comparing Clan lasers to IS lasers yesterday and current numbers are pretty balanced right now. They have longer duration and higher heat to match, but they also do more damage and have longer range. I think the real problem here is less efficient Clan heatsinks, not the lasers themselves.

PPC's do need higher velocity and I could even settle for a slightly longer cooldown, but no charge mechanic. They are already losing out compared to Large Pulse Lasers. Clan PPCs doing 12 direct damage doesn't sound too bad.

AC2's could use less heat in my opinion, that's my only real complaint. AC's in general could use a slightly higher velocity, but I feel ammo is fine except for the 20 being kinda low. LB-X's yeah, ideal spread at optimum range makes sense, I agree with you there.

Gauss rifle... Hopefully if they are implementing a power draw mechanic they could get rid of the charge time and instead make it power hungry. I don't mind the charge up mechanic, but I like not having it more. I was reading Blood Legacy last night and the part where Phelan and Natasha test out to be warrior's made a power draw seem like a very interesting idea.

Edited by thehiddenedge, 09 March 2016 - 01:02 PM.

#11 Gentleman Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrench
  • The Wrench
  • 733 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 12:39 PM

This thread now (apparently) focuses on weapons.

View Postthehiddenedge, on 09 March 2016 - 12:34 PM, said:

Nah, I was just giving him a hard time. It was actually organized pretty well for a forum post. There's just so many different topics to branch out on there. I don't know where to start.

Using my ancient Xbox gamertag has become a habit, although I'm heavily considering finally changing it to avoid such potential insults. :P

#12 Nerdboard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 226 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 12:46 PM

Personally I disagree with many of the changes/issues you adress.

Many things on your list (example: gauss, ac/5) are absolutely fine in my opinion and should not be changed in any way (unless different balance changes throw them into a completely different environment compared to the current state of the game).

I completely agree that Command Console, C.A.S.E and BAP could use an overhaul. (other thread now)

Slight correction to your comment about machine guns: Machine guns do not have any bullet velocity. They hit instantly. They do however have a spray effect (a cone of fire if you will) which you would probably want to reduce instead in order to increase their effective range.

Edited by Nerdboard, 09 March 2016 - 12:47 PM.

#13 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 09 March 2016 - 12:47 PM

View PostElit3 Nick, on 09 March 2016 - 12:39 PM, said:

This thread now (apparently) focuses on weapons.

Just trying to give you some tips to help you be able to keep your thread on topic and constructive. Trust me, there will be plenty who will derail. I'll try to give some thought to responding to some of your ideas later this evening, but I like your thoughts on a few things listed above

#14 Gentleman Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrench
  • The Wrench
  • 733 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 12:54 PM

View PostNerdboard, on 09 March 2016 - 12:46 PM, said:

Personally I disagree with many of the changes/issues you adress.

Many things on your list (example: gauss, ac/5) are absolutely fine in my opinion and should not be changed in any way (unless different balance changes throw them into a completely different environment compared to the current state of the game).

I understand, like I said with Gauss, it's more or less balanced the way it is, what I proposed was simply an alternate way of balancing it, so that it's a bit less annoying. As for AC/5s, I can do with keeping the RoF the same, but at least add a few more shots per ton to at least make it a bit more attractive on heavier mechs over massing AC/2s, which has higher DPS and the same damage potential with a ton of ammo.

View PostNerdboard, on 09 March 2016 - 12:46 PM, said:

Slight correction to your comment about machine guns: Machine guns do not have any bullet velocity. They hit instantly. They do however have a spray effect (a cone of fire if you will) which you would probably want to reduce instead in order to increase their effective range.

I was not aware of this, Smurfy lists the speed at 100, which does seem a bit odd, as that would make the rounds travel significantly slower than an AC/20 round.

#15 Mcgral18

• CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 09 March 2016 - 12:55 PM

A couple notes: the MG has no velocity, it's hitscan like a laser. Unless you just want the particle effect faster, velocity does nothing for performance.

Range is mostly useless as well because of the CoF.
My suggestion is return the damage to 1 DPS and remove (or significantly reduce for the Clam MG) the CoF.

Reducing AC2 ammo and even AC10 is not a positive change. UAC10 one could make an argument, but 200 Dam/ton feels good.
Although I'm curious...why do you want different dam/ton values between the AC5 and AC2? 75*2=150 and 30*5=150
The AC2 certainly doesn't need a nerf.

#16 Gentleman Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrench
  • The Wrench
  • 733 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 12:56 PM

View PostSandpit, on 09 March 2016 - 12:47 PM, said:

Just trying to give you some tips to help you be able to keep your thread on topic and constructive. Trust me, there will be plenty who will derail. I'll try to give some thought to responding to some of your ideas later this evening, but I like your thoughts on a few things listed above

The "apparently" comes from me thinking that I had created a new thread, only to see the same replies as before, I probably edited this thread without realizing it.

#17 Mcgral18

• 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 09 March 2016 - 12:57 PM

For cACs, I'd keep the bursts as they are but improve performance.

Make them fly faster, with cool downs in line with their respective class (lel, 5.03s cAC20 recycle)

#18 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:00 PM

View PostElit3 Nick, on 09 March 2016 - 12:56 PM, said:

The "apparently" comes from me thinking that I had created a new thread, only to see the same replies as before, I probably edited this thread without realizing it.

I did, I merged the thread and did some editing.

#19 Gentleman Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrench
  • The Wrench
  • 733 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:02 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 09 March 2016 - 12:55 PM, said:

A couple notes: the MG has no velocity, it's hitscan like a laser. Unless you just want the particle effect faster, velocity does nothing for performance.

Range is mostly useless as well because of the CoF.
My suggestion is return the damage to 1 DPS and remove (or significantly reduce for the Clam MG) the CoF.

Reducing AC2 ammo and even AC10 is not a positive change. UAC10 one could make an argument, but 200 Dam/ton feels good.
Although I'm curious...why do you want different dam/ton values between the AC5 and AC2? 75*2=150 and 30*5=150
The AC2 certainly doesn't need a nerf.

It's more with buffing the AC/5 and AC/20's dam/ton, the AC/2's round reduction was if the AC/5's ammo/ton remained the same. I feel the AC/5 should have at least something over the AC/2, which is 2 tons lighter, has greater velocity, more range, and the same damage potential as the AC/5, not leaving much in its favor short of being able to twist away while the next round cycles.

View PostScout Derek, on 09 March 2016 - 01:00 PM, said:

I did, I merged the thread and did some editing.

Oh you sneaky fox you...

#20 Mcgral18

• 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:04 PM

View PostElit3 Nick, on 09 March 2016 - 01:02 PM, said:

It's more with buffing the AC/5 and AC/20's dam/ton, the AC/2's round reduction was if the AC/5's ammo/ton remained the same. I feel the AC/5 should have at least something over the AC/2, which is 2 tons lighter, has greater velocity, more range, and the same damage potential as the AC/5, not leaving much in its favor short of being able to twist away while the next round cycles.

Oh you sneaky fox you...

And yet, the AC5 is far superior to the AC2.

It's among the best isAC, when boated (and especially when quirked).

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users