Badges And Titles: Am I The Only One Who Really Could Not Care Less About Them?

73 replies to this topic

#1 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:01 PM

Seriously?

"Day 7 of big bad spending fervor inspiring Mech Countdown"

Oh Look, a badge my 4th grader designed and a silly and utterly pointless "title" (more so because it's not even an "earned " one".

Are we really such a mental junk food addled society that people remotely care about these things? Just empty calories.

Truth to tell, the whole Countdown thing kind of grinds my gears.

For the Urbie, it was fresh, original, the Devs had FUN with it.

For everything since? It's mostly formulaic dreck, no really effort involved, only of minor interest.

Scout Derek threw out an idea to me about a 3 day countdown, a 3,2,1 BOOM! and truth to tell, I think I would much prefer that.

Day 3:
-Screen Grabs, Faction Paints/Camos, etc
Day 2:
-Quirks Announced (maybe even leak the build specs to Smurfy Lab so we can start theorycrafting)
Day 1:
-Size comparo/Gameplay video for NGNG to get their promotion on.

then BOOM.

The other 4 days, currently? Big. Whoop.

Yes, I know some think a White Knight is never allowed to criticize, or grumble. Well, you'd be wrong.

Thoughts and opinions, dissenting, agreeing or straying to odd tangents, welcome.

#2 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:11 PM

3 days, enough for discussing all the fun stuff before getting the content.

At least that's how I pictured it when I threw it out, I mean, a week countdown, some get hyped, while others don't ever bother to look until the 4th or 3rd day away.

#3 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:17 PM

I don't really care about that stuff either. Happy with my big daddy title.

#4 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:20 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 09 March 2016 - 01:11 PM, said:

3 days, enough for discussing all the fun stuff before getting the content.

At least that's how I pictured it when I threw it out, I mean, a week countdown, some get hyped, while others don't ever bother to look until the 4th or 3rd day away.

I dont get hyped over badges, i mean i have some badges of shame and much shame time saved up but they are fluff.

Just something shiny next to my name, the Urbie one is the only one i really care about. :P

#5 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:22 PM

Only one I really care about is my Founders tag. It represents how long I've been here and the faith I've put into PGI for doing the right thing. I have many more, but that was my first. :)

#6 Malleus011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:23 PM

Seven days would be great if they had seven days of content to fill it.

Badges and titles are pretty 'meh'.

Screenshots are nice, but they start leaking those early.
Video teasers are good.
Weapons fire teasers are good.
Mechlab weapon geometry videos are good.
Scale videos are good.
Walk animation videos are good.
Combat footage is good.
'Commercials' like they made in the old days are cool and would (IMO) make a better capstone than NGNG, I've never watch more than a few minutes of their stream. (I want to see the 'mech, not them playing it).

If you can't produce enough content to fill 7 days, then 3 days would do.

#7 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:25 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 09 March 2016 - 01:17 PM, said:

I don't really care about that stuff either. Happy with my big daddy title.

Yeah. The ones we earn in game, even if some are largely "participation" awards, at least have SOME effort and meaning tied to them (well aside from certain folk parading Deathstars or Ace of Spades they "earned" during a server crash, killing Discos. Still think they should have it stripped when found and reported) but the ones witht eh Mech Packs are totally ...pointless, IMO.

And lame. Lol.

View PostMalleus011, on 09 March 2016 - 01:23 PM, said:

'Commercials' like they made in the old days are cool and would (IMO) make a better capstone than NGNG, I've never watch more than a few minutes of their stream. (I want to see the 'mech, not them playing it).

Oh goodness, yes. This, please. I miss my old Mech Commercials. Thou Closed Beta ones were GREAT.

#8 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:26 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 09 March 2016 - 01:24 PM, said:

Yeah. The ones we earn in game, even if some are largely "participation" awards, at least have SOME effort and meaning tied to them (well aside from certain folk parading Deathstars or Ace of Spades they "earned" during a server crash, killing Discos. Still think they should have it stripped when found and reported) but the ones witht eh Mech Packs are totally ...pointless, IMO.

And lame. Lol.

Tho i dont have it on this account, i got my Ace of Spades very legitimately on my alt and i get soooooo much flak for it. It almost not worth toting around lol.

Edited by Revis Volek, 09 March 2016 - 01:26 PM.

#9 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:26 PM

They don't concern me in the least. Of course, neither does the countdown.

#10 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,548 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:30 PM

If you're going to flash an "I spent money" badge, you may as well flash an "I spent a goddamn lot of money" badge.

I get that it's something else Piranha can entice people with, but yeah - I don't care. I picked the one that sounded lulziest and went with it, then ran the "I spend too much money on video games" badge to remind myself that I'm a sad fat whale.

I like that Piranha at least tries to make something of an event out of these releases, but at this point it does come off as a somewhat formulaic, hit-the-PR-checklist thing these days. Still better than nothing, by quite a bit, but I do miss the giggles of the UrbanMech release. Kinna wish that one of the PR Checklist items was "do something silly/off the cuff" to liven things up a bit, instead of doing the exact same series of releases every time.

#11 Dread Render

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 847 posts
  • LocationSouth River NJ

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:37 PM

I bet i actually do care less than you... um... cause I never thought of it till your post. ;-)

#12 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:38 PM

View Post1453 R, on 09 March 2016 - 01:30 PM, said:

I like that Piranha at least tries to make something of an event out of these releases, but at this point it does come off as a somewhat formulaic, hit-the-PR-checklist thing these days. Still better than nothing, by quite a bit, but I do miss the giggles of the UrbanMech release. Kinna wish that one of the PR Checklist items was "do something silly/off the cuff" to liven things up a bit, instead of doing the exact same series of releases every time.

So much, this.

Though trying to find something funny is liable to fall flat, too. Hence why I would prefer a more truncated, to the point countdown. I was actually kind of at the "remove the whole dang thing before Scout Derek threw out the 3 day idea..

They want more promotion? Have Russ and Tina, etc do some live streaming stuff. I know that I helped put Russ off to early preview over the Warhammer fiasco (which in fairness, even Russ admitted the changes to the Model were very much for the best), and it seems like they've tightened up the modeling QA a bit since, but, really I would prefer those to this limp tired formula.

#13 Soultraxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:38 PM

Im not really all that fussed about badges - I only activated mine the other day to see what it looked like.

I like my CW title (even though its a low rank) because its something I had to put game time into to get.

Count-downs I look at but wouldn't care if they stopped doing them.

#14 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:39 PM

Meh... Don't really care one way or the other.

I'm the captain of my college ambivance team!

#15 Mole

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:39 PM

I don't really care about badges and titles. Only reason I'm sporting the Marauder badge/title is because, well, they gave it to me, so why the hell not? But the badges and titles don't really mean anything to me. I don't even pay attention to what badges and titles people have. Only one that occasionally catches my attention is when someone comes in with a "Death Star" or a "Liquid Metal" because those two are very difficult to achieve.

#16 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:42 PM

View PostMalleus011, on 09 March 2016 - 01:23 PM, said:

Seven days would be great if they had seven days of content to fill it.

Badges and titles are pretty 'meh'.

Screenshots are nice, but they start leaking those early.
Video teasers are good.
Weapons fire teasers are good.
Mechlab weapon geometry videos are good.
Scale videos are good.
Walk animation videos are good.
Combat footage is good.

Gotta say, I'd really prefer all the same content, but compressed into 3 days.

I like all of it - I'm even curious about badges and titles, for that matter - but badges/titles are way, way too light to be a "full day of hype building!"

Compressed into 3 days, I think, would work a lot better.

If they still want to go 5 or 7 days, they'll need much better content.

Imagine, if you will, a video for each day. Not "streaming player NGNG" format, but with some actual production value using the spectator camera.

Show them in combat, but only at a distance. Get some nice VO work going on, have some story to it. Have several "episodes", each showing some more of the Mech, while building hype and excitement for the game itself at the same time.

But if they either can't or just don't want to invest in making that content, then i really think cutting these down to 3 or 5 days would be much better.

#17 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:48 PM

View PostMole, on 09 March 2016 - 01:39 PM, said:

I don't really care about badges and titles. Only reason I'm sporting the Marauder badge/title is because, well, they gave it to me, so why the hell not? But the badges and titles don't really mean anything to me. I don't even pay attention to what badges and titles people have. Only one that occasionally catches my attention is when someone comes in with a "Death Star" or a "Liquid Metal" because those two are very difficult to achieve.

best of my knowledge only one legit Death Star has ever been achieved. So look at any you see with extreme cynicism.

#18 process

• Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:49 PM

Purchased titles and badges don't do much for me, although I use my Founder's badge to show support for the game and the community. I think earned titles and badges are more valuable, however we only have room for one of each.

It'd be great if we have more achievements with earnable things, along with place to display them.

#19 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:50 PM

View Postprocess, on 09 March 2016 - 01:49 PM, said:

Purchased titles and badges don't do much for me, although I use my Founder's badge to show support for the game and the community. I think earned titles and badges are more valuable, however we only have room for one of each.

It'd be great if we have more achievements with earnable things, along with place to display them.

kind alike a salad bar from a military dress uniform?

#20 process

• Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:54 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 09 March 2016 - 01:50 PM, said:

kind alike a salad bar from a military dress uniform?

Yap.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users