Now I've Seen Everything.

87 replies to this topic

#1 Mole

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 08 March 2016 - 06:03 PM

So I was just in a match today where my team, once again, left our assaults behind to die. Our Dire Wolf complained about it, and some guy legit told him to "bring something faster or shut it", that it "wasn't our fault he brought a slow mech and got caught out" and then, when challenged, issued his response: "check score" as if him having a good score in his Warhammer made his point less stupid somehow. What is wrong with people?

#2 Nauht

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 06:11 PM

Puglife.

But on the flipside of that it will teach that DW to be more situationally aware and get to know the maps better. One of my main mechs is my dakka whale and I've never been caught alone ever since it happened the first week the DW was released.

Positioning, being aware of where the herd is going, where the enemy will be, where they'll come from and how to get where you're going before the herd does, is all needed to drive the DW. Plan ahead.

#3 Soulos

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 49 posts

Don't drive slow 'mechs and complain your slow. As far as the "check score" part, your right, not to important. The only important part to take from this is don't drive slow 'mechs and complain your slow. When I drive my dire and get left behind, I accept it is my fault. So should you.

#4 John1352

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

There comes a point when the best option for the Dire is to turn around and meet the enemies head on. If a foolish light or medium mech runs straight at it, the alpha can often be enough to get an instakill, which may or may not put the brakes on the enemy NASCAR.

#5 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 08 March 2016 - 06:33 PM

This is why I want winning the match to play a greater role in determining income, match score, XP and PSR rating.

Because there's a whole lot of derpdonkeys out there who believe that getting 3 kills or getting top damage automatically means they were a credit to their team. Silly people who decide to stay hidden in their 99% healthy 4xERLL sniper King Crab until the end of the match, when their whole team is dead and the red team has 6 damaged mechs left. So they manage to grab a few kills before their King Crab is smashed, and they consider themselves the real MVP. Or fast mechs who engage in a scorching Nascar race, sacrificing their 3 allied assault mechs to destroy 3 enemy assault mechs and chalk it up as a personal victory.

This is why there needs to be more emphasis on winning matches rather than stroking your epeen. Yes, the puglife is brutal. Yes, RNGeesus is unforgiving. No, matchmaker don't give a f*ck if you have lost 50 matches in a row. But on average, over a long enough period of time, it's better to play with players who are actually trying to win rather than boost their individual stats at the expense of their teammates.

I once said "my dead teammates are only stepping stones on my road to victory", and I said it as a joke. But it seems to be an actual motto for a lot of MWO players.

#6 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,627 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 06:45 PM

The thing I find most surprising is the fact that this is the first time you've seen this.

#7 Accused

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 989 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 06:48 PM

It's all about planning ahead and knowing where to be. There are oftentimes situations where you must commit whether your team backs you up or not.

There have been times when my team left me and I told them I wasn't going to move from my spot. I'd find a hole and make my stand there. Have to judge the situation and roll with it.

#8 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 08 March 2016 - 06:51 PM

I think the part that struck me as the most ridiculous about the whole thing was the "check score" comeback that he had. As if that makes him any less of a twit.

#9 Malachy Karrde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 473 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 06:56 PM

I don't care if my assault group is left high and dry. More kills for me.

#10 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 08 March 2016 - 06:59 PM

You gotta lead the charge in the Whale. Don't stop.

#11 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 07:07 PM

Should have taken the Hazzard Short Cut

Posted Image

#12 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 08 March 2016 - 07:25 PM

Some serious twitness in some of these responses. Like they are infallible or are above reproach. If I can help a teammate I do, regardless of the size, I always try to assist my team in our overall survival. Twit response: "Gets Moar kills, duhs". That being said , I have gotten better at being situationally aware. Sometimes it's a superpug that's gonna do his own thing and while that's not so much a lost cause as it is more of a conundrum.Does that sometimes lend to me getting k'oed early than I probably should, Ya probably, but it's how I wanna play and I can just load up another game. Beats being a blowhard

Edited by JackalBeast, 08 March 2016 - 07:27 PM.

#13 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 07:31 PM

Just another salty scrub; got pwnt, had low score and then QQed about the team. Someone rubbed his face in it; git gud.

#14 762 NATO

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 312 posts
  • LocationUnder the desk of the Magestrix of Canopus

Posted 08 March 2016 - 07:39 PM

Now to be fair, I have used the "check score" for some very particular people who were being SaltyAssPugLords or just trolling the day away because they were bored or in a bad mood. Those people are also on my Blocked Player list (4 people), but the list only mostly works. The times I remember doing that was when it was Tier 5s in a drop with 3s. The 5 telling the whole team to rush straight into a gunline and then running forward and dying while initial shots are still being traded. And of course whining about it afterwards. (THANK YOU PGI FOR THE MUTE BUTTON!)

Sometimes, it makes perfectly good sense to run an ECM Spider aaaaaaalllll the way around Polar Highlands for the perfect UAV. Somewhere on my phone I have a shot of a match result where I did zero damage (well 1 team damage for JJs) but still got a match score of low 300.

Honestly, I believe that PUG is mostly dominated by self-centered players with little concept of team play. They only ball up as a survival tactic to keep from getting caught out.

And don't whine at the lights for not guarding the assaults <this is not directed at any of the previous posters, just shoes fitting and all>. That job belongs to the mediums. The lights have to harass the other teams assaults, cap points, spot for LuRMage, sling those NARC pods, pop the good UAVs, be a general nuisance and turn the enemy on their *** so the rest of the team can shoot them in the backs. They got a lot on their minds doing everything they can in tinfoil armor.

Edited by 762 NATO, 08 March 2016 - 07:44 PM.

#15 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 08 March 2016 - 07:43 PM

Posted Image

#16 Gamuray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 866 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 07:45 PM

View PostMister Blastman, on 08 March 2016 - 06:59 PM, said:

You gotta lead the charge in the Whale. Don't stop.

View PostMalachy Karrde, on 08 March 2016 - 06:56 PM, said:

I don't care if my assault group is left high and dry. More kills for me.

View PostGhogiel, on 08 March 2016 - 07:31 PM, said:

Just another salty scrub; got pwnt, had low score and then QQed about the team. Someone rubbed his face in it; git gud.

Frozen City Night - Skirmish.

Assault Lance pit spawn. Rushed down by enemy lance every time. Assaults have to either engage and hope to be supported by a fast team and maybe not die, or take a super long detour and let their other friendlies die.

Are you done now SIR'S?

#17 Chuck Jager

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 07:46 PM

I do not mind folks balling up or trying to follow the ball.

Lately I see a group get to the first decent place near the back of a map and sit there. I would be happy for a nascar. These folks continue to only move in the complete opposite direction of any enemy that is targeted unless someone is obviously out of position and then it is a race to that place.

Is this the promise that Steam has delivered?

#18 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 08 March 2016 - 08:18 PM

View PostMole, on 08 March 2016 - 06:03 PM, said:

So I was just in a match today where my team, once again, left our assaults behind to die. Our Dire Wolf complained about it, and some guy legit told him to "bring something faster or shut it", that it "wasn't our fault he brought a slow mech and got caught out" and then, when challenged, issued his response: "check score" as if him having a good score in his Warhammer made his point less stupid somehow. What is wrong with people?

When PGI advertized MWO as a "thinking person's shooter", legions of idiots too idiotic enough to not know they're actually idiots started playing the game. Their only desire is to play "Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots". Posted Image

#19 SuomiWarder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,661 posts
  • LocationSacramento area, California

Posted 08 March 2016 - 08:38 PM

Heavies are usually 40 to 50 percent or more of the que for this reason. They are fast enough not to get left behind but still have decent firepower.

#20 Azalie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 341 posts
  • LocationThe Warp

Posted 08 March 2016 - 08:47 PM

This is why I stopped playing Dire Wolves once I hit Tier 2....was getting crazy. Team would not always engage in maneuvers I could keep up with and did not always respond to requests to group up or slow down. Back in Tier 3 the enemy was often not coordinated enough that I was swarmed or the pilots themselves just slowly marched into my dakka taking it all to the face....I'd still die but would take 2 or 3 with me....not anymore.

Now I stick to an Atlas or Stalker....so long as it does 60+kph I don't seem to have any issues staying in effective ranges with regards to the team.

Have to disagree with the call for Dire Wolves to lead the charge though... With their speed and pitiful twist range I feel they are best in the second line of mechs to crest the hill...heavies and faster assaults who can take punishment should draw fire so whales can have some time to unleash their death. Enemy will sometimes even switch to it....spreading damage and allowing the first wave some relief.

Edited by Azalie, 08 March 2016 - 08:50 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users