#1 SuomiWarder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,661 posts
  • LocationSacramento area, California

Posted 11 March 2016 - 06:32 AM

Hey fellow MechWarriors.

Obviously something so low that visible shuttering will affect things, but what frame rate do people feel is required for gameplay that doesn't affect aiming too much? 40+, 50+, 60+ etc.

Just curious - because I am wondering if I should spend money to upgrade my computer if I am getting 41 to 44 fps consistantly.

#2 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 06:34 AM

30 is fine.

#3 Narcissistic Martyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 11 March 2016 - 06:43 AM

30ish minimums are fine for me.

Granted my CPU can't crank out much more than that. Grumble AMD grumble...

#4 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 06:43 AM

View Postsycocys, on 11 March 2016 - 06:34 AM, said:

30 is fine.

Don't think so.

Currently playing at 90+, had 30 on my old PC which i'm still using from time to time.
The difference from playing at 30 fps and stable 60+ is lightyears. I literally score like 500 dmg more on average in CW when using my new PC. The difference between 30 and 60 fps is not only clearly visible, it affects your effectivity when playing the game.

#5 TheCharlatan

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 06:49 AM

30 is the bare minimum.
I play at 40 and it is nice, but reaching 60+ is awesomesauce.

#6 KHETTI

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationIn transit to 1 of 4 possible planets

Posted 11 March 2016 - 06:54 AM

Idealistically, 60fps+, but 40fps+ would be acceptable.

#7 Lugh

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 06:55 AM

View Postmeteorol, on 11 March 2016 - 06:43 AM, said:

Don't think so.

Currently playing at 90+, had 30 on my old PC which i'm still using from time to time.
The difference from playing at 30 fps and stable 60+ is lightyears. I literally score like 500 dmg more on average in CW when using my new PC. The difference between 30 and 60 fps is not only clearly visible, it affects your effectivity when playing the game.

The difference isn't the frame rate so much as the frame rate's consistency. The Human eye can tell very little difference between 30 adn 60 frames per second. However, if you are getting 30fps under IDEAL circumstances, very few mechs, etc.

Then your frame rate likely drops into the 10fps range under duress, and that is VERY noticeable.

So you should be looking for 30+ frames per second in the Game ending brawl phase when there is a LOT going on.

#8 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 06:55 AM

The most acceptable answer here is probably 60+, but given the liberty to be specific I'd pinpoint it between 70 and 80. I believe the really REALLY picky elitists prefer 72fps, which is a nice round value for VSYNC lovers with 144Hz screens. I will also say that the difference between 60fps and 120fps is pretty noticeable.

#9 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 06:58 AM

If I look at the afterburner graphs fps looks to vary between 60 and 125. seems fine.

#10 PyckenZot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 870 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAnderlecht, Belgium

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:02 AM

I play between 50 and 60 fps on vsync. Plays well. Anything below 40 starts becoming annoying.

#11 brroleg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 245 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:20 AM

BTW, actual game heats up my video card less than mechlab, main menu, hangar, store, etc.. all that stuff that is not actual game

#12 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:36 AM

It´s not so much about actual framerate as it is about consistency, Movies are 25 FPS but those 25 are absolutely rocksteady, and that´s why it doesnt seem choppy... The average human eye itself cannot reliably register anything above 25 fps, the rods and cones in your eyes cannot react to movement faster (which is also why if you blink while moving so fast that everything is a blur the very first image after opening your eyes is razor sharp). If absolutely steady, even 15 FPS is still reasonably playable, though that is already quite close to "slideshow syndrome"....

However, if you run at, say, 30, and that dips regularly to under 25, then it feels choppy, especially if lag also comes into play.

But if it stays rocksteady at 30 like mine does, never dropping under 25+ even in intense 24 mech brawls, then you will not notice any signicant and objectively quantifiable difference from more FPS. The game plays exactly the same with my steady 30 FPS on my oldass Quad core + GTX 560 comp as it does on my GF´s brand new dual overclocked octacore, dual 980 SLI, 32GB RAM monster at 120 FPS... It just looks a hell of a lot better on hers.

Essentially the main reason to have more than 30 is headroom. So that if and when it dips due to increased load, it doesnt fall far enough that wou would notice...If you have 60 and it fally by half, thats still 30..if you have 30 and THAT falls by half, that´s 15 and that you WILL notice Posted Image

Edited by Zerberus, 11 March 2016 - 07:48 AM.

#13 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:38 AM

30 is fine but you need 60 because you will dip below 30 when you get into heavy fighting.

#14 Nostromodamus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:42 AM

I get 50-60 consistently, except that starting a couple of patches ago my rate will drop to 10-20 for a couple of seconds, usually half a dozen times per match.

I have changed nothing my end. Really annoying because it usually happens at the worst times...

Edited by Nostromodamus, 11 March 2016 - 07:42 AM.

#15 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:44 AM

I used to play MWO at 15 FPS from June of 2012 - December of 2012. I did fine... better than fine.

But that was then. MWO was full of bads and we didn't have double heatsink monsters...

#16 Dekallis

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 56 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:53 AM

20-30 fps is....playable but you won't see everything. there will be hectic moments where things will just seem to happen instantly that didn't. Tracking fast paced play is hard at 30 fps. But for passive play, sniping, lrm'ing it's fine. Fast moving things may seem to warp or make short teleports at this fps. Though they aren't actually warping it's just lag making it look like they are.

40-50 fps is more typical you'll get occansional wtf moments but they're rare you're much less likely to be blasted by something because your frame rate was lagging. Though tracking fast moving targets may be more slightly more challenging than it should be.

60 FPS is the ideal fps. beyond 60fps is usually superfluous in MMO's. Theoretically things are happening faster for you than for other people at high frame rates but because the server is the decider on what goes down and reconciling conflicting data the advantage is minimized. However in offline games crazy fps rates can actually make the games super hard because everything happens faster and there is such a thing as too fast.(Which is one reason why games generally have built in fps limiters)

Desynch will probably get worse and hitreg will likely be more inconsistent at lower fps's. Because situations like you and an enemy firing at what seemed to be the same time for you may actually be he fired first and you fired slightly second so you die first among other oddities. Long story short 50-60 fps is where you want to be. Or actually slightly higher at like 70 fps because fps will inevitably dip during hectic battles(such as CW fights where lots of weapons are firing at once onscreen)

Edited by Dekallis, 11 March 2016 - 07:54 AM.

#17 Nostromodamus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:55 AM

View PostDekallis, on 11 March 2016 - 07:53 AM, said:

Desynch will probably get worse and hitreg will likely be more inconsistent at lower fps's. Because situations like you and an enemy firing at what seemed to be the same time for you may actually be he fired first and you fired slightly second so you die first among other oddities. Long story short 50-60 fps is where you want to be. Or actually slightly higher at like 70 fps because fps will inevitably dip during hectic battles(such as CW fights where lots of weapons are firing at once onscreen)

I think we solved the Han/Greedo debate.

#18 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:56 AM

Ideal? 60 FPS plus
Playable Minimums no less than 40.

If your going to upgrade don't make the mistake of buying a new/bigger GPU.

This game is CPU cycles - Intel.

#19 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,980 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 March 2016 - 08:07 AM

I run 120 hz monitor, so any time it drops below 90's I can tell the difference.

I'd say anywhere between 80-100 is as smooth as you need, anything lower and you start missing frames, and anything higher and you don't really notice.

#20 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 11 March 2016 - 08:08 AM

For precise aiming, 60+. I feel when my system drops in the 50s or 40s, I cant aim for ****!

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users