836 replies to this topic

#21 Zerberus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:46 AM

^^ROFL, believe it or not those specials do a lot better job than the US public school system in many cases Posted Image

Edited by Zerberus, 11 March 2016 - 10:46 AM.

#22 Roughneck Cobra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 462 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:50 AM

View PostZerberus, on 11 March 2016 - 10:46 AM, said:

^^ROFL, believe it or not those specials do a lot better job than the US public school system in many cases Posted Image

Its showing I think! Posted Image

#23 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:53 AM

View PostStryker Ezekiel, on 11 March 2016 - 09:49 AM, said:

Someone wanna shut this Russ 'Lights Only' Fanboy up and link some Light abusing Hitreg Videos? Posted Image

Or simply Explain how a light can take a a Splatdog to the face (Thats 85 Approx Alpha) at 5 meters with all missiles confirming hits visually with Artemis.

Lights are OP, Russ takes pride in keeping them as such, he doesnt need forum Whiteknights ontop.

I'm hardly a white knight...

View PostZerberus, on 11 March 2016 - 10:46 AM, said:

There's a reason I pay to put my daughter in private school... Actually, there are a lot of reasons.

#24 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:54 AM

View PostLostdragon, on 11 March 2016 - 09:03 AM, said:

Even the "OP" lights are harder to play than the good mechs from any other weight class. What most people don't realize is the guys ripping teams apart in lights would do the same thing in any other class because they are just really good at the game.

Shhh... we don't want that to be common knowledge.

#25 Catra Lanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,182 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:57 AM

View PostMechWarrior5152251, on 11 March 2016 - 10:10 AM, said:

Lights absolutely take more skill than other weight classes to score well. This applies even to the ACH which must keep moving or it will die just like any other light. In fact I have much higher average damage in Firestarters than Cheetos.

If lights were OP more than 5% of players would drop in them...

No they don't, I consistently score higher in the Adder than the Victor but lower than the Stalker. In a Cicada (it's a light for all practical purposes) I'm getting away with murder. In the Ravens I do ok, not great but ok and I'm a sucky light pilot. I play MWO because I want to play big stompy machines and feel the smell of oil. When I'm in a light bouncing light a gnat between canyon walls at 120+ km/h or flying high above the battlefield I don't get that feeling, that's why I don't play them that often. Maybe I'm not the only one, maybe that's part of the reason other weight classes are more popular.

Edited by Catra Lanis, 11 March 2016 - 10:58 AM.

#26 Aerei

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 127 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:10 AM

Eh, as a medium pilot, I've never found lights to be overly concerning, by and large. Arctic Cheetah can be annoying due partially to its ECM and mainly due to a clan XL with a small profile, but it's still not exactly what I would call OP outside of an organized 12 man AC rush--but even then, I'm going to use that key word--"organized". A disorganized mass of lights are still going to die like any other disorganized rush.

Lights spot, lights distract, lights make idiots squirrel, and lights help check heavies. At least in my experience, some heavies can move at decent top speeds, but they suffer from inferior twist speeds and acceleration/deceleration. That's what can kill you against a light--especially if you're dealing with an AC, or an Oxide, that can hit you up close for 40+ damage.

That doesn't make them OP, though. Lights require a good sense of tactical awareness, due to their piss poor armor and the fact that one wrong move could see them crippled or killed. I would say a good light pilot may be harder to deal with than an equally good heavy pilot, but it's easier to be good in a heavy.

Edited by Aerei, 11 March 2016 - 11:12 AM.

#27 Thunderbird Anthares

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:28 AM

my two cents:

Jenner IIC
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Jenner_IIC

This fast striker carries a Streak SRM-4 and two SRM-6 launchers. This hail of missiles can quickly overcome a light 'Mech, though it does leave the Jenner IIC vulnerable to opponents who mount an Anti-Missile System.
Variants[edit]
  • Jenner IIC 2 This support variant replaces the short-range missile launchers with an ER Large Laser and an LRM-5. A Small Pulse Laser provides defense against conventional infantry and other units that stray too close. Its jumping capacity is increased to 270 meters. BV (1.0) = 1,330[4], BV (2.0) = 1,406[5]
  • Jenner IIC 3 This variant mimics the original Jenner by carrying four Small Pulse Lasers. These are devastating to infantry, but still respectable against other units. A Narc Missile Beacon allows it to aid the targeting of other units' missiles. BV (1.0) = 725[4], BV (2.0) = 788[6]
  • Jenner IIC 4 Clan Nova Cat, the primary users of the Jenner IIC, created this variant after they moved to the Inner Sphere. Though it changes the appearance of the 'Mech, the actual specifications of the design changed little. It retains the Streak SRM-4, but replaced the standard missile launchers with a pair of ATM 3s, each of which is accompanied by a ton of ammunition. BV (1.0) = 1,030, BV (2.0) = 1,052[7]

#28 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:49 AM

View PostMatt2496, on 11 March 2016 - 08:34 AM, said:

2. Learn to Aim. One of the biggest issues I see with people who can’t deal with lights is that they can’t aim. If you’re having trouble aiming, try lowering your mouse sensitivity, or practice in the training grounds.

Piloting lights a lot, I can suggest this tip to 90% of players.
(and corollary: learn to lead the target)

#29 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:53 AM

View PostCatra Lanis, on 11 March 2016 - 10:57 AM, said:

No they don't, I consistently score higher in the Adder than the Victor but lower than the Stalker. In a Cicada (it's a light for all practical purposes) I'm getting away with murder. In the Ravens I do ok, not great but ok and I'm a sucky light pilot. I play MWO because I want to play big stompy machines and feel the smell of oil. When I'm in a light bouncing light a gnat between canyon walls at 120+ km/h or flying high above the battlefield I don't get that feeling, that's why I don't play them that often. Maybe I'm not the only one, maybe that's part of the reason other weight classes are more popular.

It could be that you more intuitively understand how to pilot a fast, squishy 'Mech effectively than you do the larger, slower 'Mechs.

#30 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:55 AM

If the hitreg shield was really a "thing" every comp player would run Commandos. Near instant start/stop speed and cornering on a tiny profile would completely wreck the hit reg - it just doesn't. Most players in the game simply can't shoot straight even with hitscan weapons.

Edited by sycocys, 11 March 2016 - 11:56 AM.

#31 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

View Postbrroleg, on 11 March 2016 - 08:43 AM, said:

All lights have hitreg shield. Thats why they OP

Someone wanna shut this Russ 'Lights Only' Fanboy up and link some Light abusing Hitreg Videos? Posted Image

Or simply Explain how a light can take a a Splatdog to the face (Thats 85 Approx Alpha) at 5 meters with all missiles confirming hits visually with Artemis.

Lights are OP, Russ takes pride in keeping them as such, he doesnt need forum Whiteknights ontop.

Can you 2 explain us why 90-95% of pilots I meet cannot aim correcly, but when I meet some good damn guys suddenly my light has no more lag shield and no more hitreg issues?

pfffffffff.

#32 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,950 posts
  • LocationUSA

Lights aren't OP.

Hitreg on fast lights, is OP.

BECAUSE IT SUCKS.

Edited by Mister D, 11 March 2016 - 12:14 PM.

#33 Lugh

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

View PostMister Blastman, on 11 March 2016 - 09:27 AM, said:

No, it isn't just lights... ALL 'mechs have hitreg shields. Play with PPCs + ballistics and you shall see.

Oh look my Dual UAC 10 has given me the RED CROSSHAIR OF ALL IS WELL. But his CT is still Light YELLOW after 3 alphas. WTF PGI?!?!?

#34 Aetes Nakatomi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 571 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire, England

Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:58 AM

I have just started dropping in my Commandos.

If the red team are made up of derps I can run through them over and over scoring great hits, getting kills, hunting their lights and generally having great fun running through their line over and over at 160+.

If the red team has one person that can aim I get popped the first or second time I engage. The same as what happens in my Artic Cheetah, my Firestarter, my Jenner IIC, my Raven (you get the idea).

#35 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:56 PM

View PostStryker Ezekiel, on 11 March 2016 - 10:40 AM, said:

Cant respond when you talk like you are schooled in a Sesame street special.

And we can't take you seriously without evidence.

"Light Mechs OP" is the poster statement for someone with poor aim.

#36 Xavori

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 792 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 01:04 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 11 March 2016 - 12:56 PM, said:

And we can't take you seriously without evidence.

"Light Mechs OP" is the poster statement for someone with poor aim.

If you have poor aim, might I suggest the Atlas D-DC I'm currently running as a damage farm for max c-bill farming

3xSRM6, 2xLBX10 (rofl), 2xMPL with ECM and radar dep module.

I like to imagine the panic that occurs in enemy pilots when my Atlas appears out of nowhere and random pieces of their mech start falling off. As Deadpool would say, "I hope they wore their brown pants!"

#37 RavenKnight86

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 205 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 01:07 PM

Ok I haven't played in a couple months but I just had to log in and say this. People are telling players like Mcgral18 that he doesn't know what he is talking about. He knows his stuff and if you don't believe it get up to his tier and find out.

#38 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 11 March 2016 - 01:13 PM

Posted ImageI sorry a single light mech should not be able to out tank a damn Atlas.
I've seen it you've seen it.
My cousin told me a story of Battle of Fallujah once.
He watched a insurgent on a damn bicycle holding a rpg charging a Abrams.
Now a company sniper took out the insurgent, but you get my point.
C'mon man, get real.

Edited by Novakaine, 11 March 2016 - 01:14 PM.

#39 4rcs1ne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 474 posts
  • LocationKnoxville,TN

Posted 11 March 2016 - 01:16 PM

Ok, this thread addresses noobs (Most likely T5) like you making these extremely generalized statements about lights. Might I suggest to read and reread the tips section of my OP.

View PostMcgral18, on 11 March 2016 - 10:28 AM, said:

I found the Tier 5 Scrub

He doesn't seem to realize that a 6.6 M CoF is larger than some Light mechs are wide.
Post your evidence, or git gud

Amen, brotha.

#40 occusoj

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 452 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 01:18 PM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 11 March 2016 - 11:49 AM, said:

Piloting lights a lot, I can suggest this tip to 90% of players.
(and corollary: learn to lead the target)

Now all we need is a latency indicator next to the red dorito to guesstimate the amount of lead required. Or some other, better, indicator for how wrong HSR might be.
Having to lead targets with lasers is pathetic on its own.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users