164 replies to this topic

#101 CK16

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 18 March 2016 - 05:25 AM

I can say it is a viable strategy, in some cases. We had a match on Emeral Tiaga where we had to defend a counter attack, we were up a full premade, with only about 8 CGBI memebers and the rest pugs. The initial part of the match we set up like usually in the base forward of Omega a bit and set up a fireing line well things kinda went not so go we ended at something like 16 to 18 or something like that. They got Omega and pulled back out side the gates and formed a firing line.

Well through a miracle I would say, we were able to push out a bit and snag 3 kills and losing no one so now it's 19 to 18 but we took a beating and alot of our mechs are pretty banged up. We fall back in the process we gain another kill but lose one of our own. THIS is the time we fell back to our Drop zone. We had a small lead think already 1 perma dead and we had used a lot of tonnage so far.

The end result ended wit us in a victory on a very close match through yes using our Drop Ships and shortening our supply line of mechs. Also great high ground for long range sniping.

We wonthrough a quick decision by our DC to fall back and use any assets we could to win.

Not the most honorable victory but there is more honor in victory then defeat.

#102 TKSax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,057 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 18 March 2016 - 05:31 AM

Well this was not one of the "standard" house-marik.com units. I get this tactic of falling back under your dropships if you get the kill lead and the other team has killed omega, still crappy tactic I would not do but less crappy. However to not even leave your drop zone at the beginning of the match is stupid. They guys would even go back to camping under their drop ship after they killed off a enough of the defenders even after they were losing the kill lead... such cowards.

Edited by TKSax, 18 March 2016 - 05:32 AM.

#103 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 05:37 AM

So are we just letting this Jamie vs. Mechreg thing slide?

#104 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 18 March 2016 - 05:47 AM

And also we more fell back to shorten the time for reinforcements to regroup with the force. We also were not just hiding along the back wall we were using the height advantage to poke and snipe as they came up.

It's not a go to strategy for us trust me. It's usually a last resort sort of thing.

Edited by CK16, 18 March 2016 - 05:54 AM.

#105 TKSax

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,057 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 18 March 2016 - 06:03 AM

CK16, I would say if you are the attacker you kill omega and get the Kill lead, falling back outside of the gates is a valid tactic to me especially if you are facing a full 12 man and you are not one, shorting the distance for the attacking group once they have the lead from the dropships is 100% valid. ( I would not fall back underneath the drop-ships though.)

I really only have issue with Defenders on Counter-attack who never leave their dropzone, letting you waltz right into the base destroy omega and the force you to attack them with their drop-ships backing them up to try and win. Its a stragey of not trying to win, just trying no to lose.

#106 Lord Baconburger

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationDel Monte

Posted 18 March 2016 - 06:46 AM

I propose an invincible NPC mech formed like voltron sitting in the dropzone wearing a Ushanka, carrying a Moisin Nagant Carbine that shoots the power of 50 gauss rifle rounds at once to anyone who sits in the DZ for more than 20 seconds.

That'll get the ******* moving.

#107 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 06:51 AM

View PostLord Baconburger, on 18 March 2016 - 06:46 AM, said:

I propose an invincible NPC mech formed like voltron sitting in the dropzone wearing a Ushanka, carrying a Moisin Nagant Carbine that shoots the power of 50 gauss rifle rounds at once to anyone who sits in the DZ for more than 20 seconds.

That'll get the ******* moving.

I was going to suggest that those camping the DZ be forced to read Far Country while they wait, but that works too.

#108 TKSax

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,057 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 18 March 2016 - 07:15 AM

View Postdervishx5, on 18 March 2016 - 06:51 AM, said:

I was going to suggest that those camping the DZ be forced to read Far Country while they wait, but that works too.

LOL Far Country would be pretty bad punishment.

So if the Defending team sat in there dropzone for the whole 30 mins and did not even leave it, And My Team who did leave the drop zone and killed omega, could we report the Defending team for non-participation?

Camping your drop zone when defending on counterattack is just a Crap Tactic used by crappy teams exploiting the reason dropships where made stronger.

#109 TKSax

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,057 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 18 March 2016 - 08:37 AM

BTW just o be Clear this was not a regular house Marik unit like the 13th orient, RMA, MGA,, or Black Windows.

Edited by TKSax, 18 March 2016 - 08:39 AM.

#110 Khereg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 919 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 18 March 2016 - 08:45 AM

View Postdervishx5, on 18 March 2016 - 05:37 AM, said:

Heck no we aren't!

Set a date already, guys!

#111 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 08:45 AM

View PostTKSax, on 18 March 2016 - 08:37 AM, said:

BTW just o be Clear this was not a regular house Marik unit like the 13th orient, RMA, MGA,, or Black Windows.

Yes it was Kcom we get it.

#112 KahnWongFuChung

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 18 March 2016 - 08:46 AM

poop

#113 TKSax

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,057 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 18 March 2016 - 08:53 AM

View Postdervishx5, on 18 March 2016 - 08:45 AM, said:

Yes it was Kcom we get it.

LOL yea we all know how aggressive and cowardly KCom is :) No it was not KCom.

#114 RjBass3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 635 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationKansas City MO.

Posted 18 March 2016 - 09:17 AM

View Postdervishx5, on 18 March 2016 - 06:51 AM, said:

I have a better idea. In the school I teach at we have a student club called the Tech Club (the geeks of the school, me included) and we meet every Mon after school to build PC's, play video games, learn more about tech etc..

On the days we play video games, we like to setup our own in house Alien Arena server (one of the few FPS games the students are allowed to play while at school) and have a one our boil off. One of the standard server settings is Anti Camp. A player can only stand in one spot for a maximum of two minutes before the game auto frags him for camping. First the server give the player a couple of hits, decreasing his health. If the player still has not moved, the damage the player is taking will kill him after two minutes have passed.

Now obviously a blanket rule like that won't work in MWO, but I think it could if in the drop zone. Say when a mech drops, that mech has 4 minutes to clear the specified drop zone or else it starts taking damage. If after another 4 minutes of the mech taking damage it has still not moved out of the specified zone, the auto damage becomes enough to destroy the mech.

That gives the player a full 8 minutes to clear the drop zone, or 4 if he/she doesn't want to start taking auto damage.

This very same rule would also help with curbing the time we have to wait for a disco to redrop when all other players have been killed.

Thoughts?

#115 TKSax

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,057 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 18 March 2016 - 10:30 AM

I actually like that a lot.

View PostRjBass3, on 18 March 2016 - 09:17 AM, said:

Now obviously a blanket rule like that won't work in MWO, but I think it could if in the drop zone. Say when a mech drops, that mech has 4 minutes to clear the specified drop zone or else it starts taking damage. If after another 4 minutes of the mech taking damage it has still not moved out of the specified zone, the auto damage becomes enough to destroy the mech.

That gives the player a full 8 minutes to clear the drop zone, or 4 if he/she doesn't want to start taking auto damage.

This very same rule would also help with curbing the time we have to wait for a disco to redrop when all other players have been killed.

Thoughts?

I like this a lot.

Edited by TKSax, 18 March 2016 - 10:30 AM.

#116 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 10:32 AM

No, that's too balanced. I say Far Country or ever worse: a late Stackpole novel!

MOLTEN SLAG
GOLDEN FIRE

#117 The Mecha Streisand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 245 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 09:27 PM

View PostRjBass3, on 18 March 2016 - 09:17 AM, said:

I have a better idea. In the school I teach at we have a student club called the Tech Club (the geeks of the school, me included) and we meet every Mon after school to build PC's, play video games, learn more about tech etc..

On the days we play video games, we like to setup our own in house Alien Arena server (one of the few FPS games the students are allowed to play while at school) and have a one our boil off. One of the standard server settings is Anti Camp. A player can only stand in one spot for a maximum of two minutes before the game auto frags him for camping. First the server give the player a couple of hits, decreasing his health. If the player still has not moved, the damage the player is taking will kill him after two minutes have passed.

Thoughts?

I've been thinking something quite similar, actually.

Is it too hard to have there be two different versions of the map boundaries, one per team? And for that matter, have different out-of-bounds timers for those areas?

What I'm after is this. 1.) Each team has, say, 45 seconds to clear out of its own DZ. (Let's put a protection in there for any disconnected mech, that it gets its OOB timer suspended while the player is disco.) 2.) Each team has a simple 10-second OOB timer for the opposing team's DZ, and that DZ should be expanded to an area significantly beyond the boundaries of the DZ(s). In either case, if you exceed the time in the OOB area, then BOOM! Long Tom up the doodoo hole. Nice knowin' ya.

NOW, we KNOW the backend can detect when a player is disconnected (it'll tell us, after all), so that sounds like a pretty easy single-bit flag to toss in somewhere to protect the disco, or at least give them an extended timer. The point of this is, though, that we want to stop DZ camping on the home side (which was the OP topic), so we have a reasonable time limit in which mechs are to be moved out of the DZ after dropship deployment. Friendly forces consider it an act of cowardice, refusal to engage the enemy, w/e, if you're not moving out. As for the other end, it seems that dropship's lasers just aren't enough to deter some from camping the DZ. And for that matter, given that there tend to be DZ campsites set up for most matches, there really isn't a LOT of cover to be had exiting some of them (Vitric Forge, Boreal Vault, on the attacker side, for instance). So, between setting the DZs and immediate vicinities (say a 120m limit from the DZ's boundaries) off-limits to opponents, and providing a little more cover for the movement out of the DZ (so that fresh reinforcements aren't stepping out of the dropship straight into a 10-on-1), and the DROPSHIP MVP LAZORZ, we should hopefully be able to give everyone at least a little breathing room to coordinate SOMETHING and get the heck into the fight before being shredded.

I mean, I've seen mechs destroyed on the way to ground from the dropship, having not yet even gotten their feet on solid ground or had the chance to return fire at all, and that's a little much.

It's perfectly reasonable to say that, for instance, the defender gains a numerical advantage during a counterattack/hold (defender being the attacker, I guess, in that by 'defender' here, I mean the team with the HOLD TERRITORY mission and OMEGA to sorta protect (and not give a F*** about)), and pushes out toward the enemy's DZ to press their advantage and create, sorta, a defense in DEPTH as well as BREADTH, etc. It's cool. But blowing up mechs that haven't even touched solid ground yet kinda just breaks the game.

And camping one's own DZ makes meta-sense, sure, but it's really pretty cowardly (and I've done it, too). You should be able to find advantageous positions without resorting to that, and if you're in any significant lead in the kill count, then I suspect you are able to do so. SO, obviously lacking the WILL in many cases, we offer a stick instead of a carrot. Campers will be destroyed for camping, at least in the DZs.

But maybe your idea is better. F*** it, it's late and I'm tired and my internet connection isn't getting fixed until at least Tuesday...

#118 MechWarrior4023212

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 367 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 18 March 2016 - 10:22 PM

Putting a timer on the area will do nothing to stop it occurring, the other team will sit just outside the zone and shot at the others in the zone.

If they want to be serious about it then all sync dropping of re-enforcements.

Edited by Ember Stormfield, 18 March 2016 - 10:22 PM.

#119 Jamie4red

• Pip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 18 posts
  • LocationCanada, Ontario

Posted 18 March 2016 - 11:20 PM

View Postdervishx5, on 18 March 2016 - 05:37 AM, said:

View PostKhereg, on 18 March 2016 - 08:45 AM, said:

Heck no we aren't!

Set a date already, guys!

Only if he wants to. He should win due to the clan mechs. I am good for it.

Edited by Jamie4red, 18 March 2016 - 11:21 PM.

#120 Khereg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 919 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 19 March 2016 - 04:53 AM

View PostJamie4red, on 18 March 2016 - 11:20 PM, said:

Only if he wants to. He should win due to the clan mechs. I am good for it.

I'm pretty sure we've seen the last of Mechreg....on this thread anyway.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users