Domination: The Cruelest Joke Of All

42 replies to this topic

#21 MrMadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 12:06 AM

Domination is completely pointless, cuz there is no way to capture base, till entire enemy team won't be killed. So it's just Skirmish around spot, poorly chosen by devs. The whole point of Domination - is to prevent players from avoiding engagement, running away and hiding. Same thing can be achieved via improving Skirmish instead.

#22 TheCharlatan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 12:16 AM

I love that they placed the radar on the citadel in River City.
PGI: "We overhauled River City so that not all fighting would happen around the Citadel."
Domination comes in, PGI: "We placed the Radar tower on the Citadel, so all fighting would happen around the Citadel"
Good job!

#23 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,070 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 12:46 AM

i like how the beacon is always in the central feature of the map. the only thing worse than that is on polar where its in the middle of the plane of death.

#24 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 18 March 2016 - 12:50 AM

I was relieved to see at least on Alpine they didn't put it right on the summit of Mt. Tryhard (aka. R*tard Ridge).

That would've been the ultimate troll move.

#25 Ryllen Kriel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 754 posts
  • LocationBetween the last bottle and the next.

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:46 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 18 March 2016 - 12:46 AM, said:

i like how the beacon is always in the central feature of the map. the only thing worse than that is on polar where its in the middle of the plane of death.

Indeed...I was in a match on that map, playing Domination. The best analogy of how the fight went down that I can conjure is like watching a young child making two Transformers fight each other by picking them up and smacking them together till they break.

A bunch of mechs forced into a small plain with no cover...yeah, really...fun...yeah.Posted Image

#26 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:49 AM

So OP you make a title that makes everyone think you have a problem with the game mode and then you only have a problem with one map of the game mode? Perhaps don't waste out time

#27 HerrRed

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 116 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:55 AM

I find the frankie boyle's joke about variety buses to be a lot crueler... As well as a lot funnier XD

Edited by HerrRed, 18 March 2016 - 03:55 AM.

#28 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 04:19 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 17 March 2016 - 08:41 PM, said:

Terra Therma is just a test of guts. The team that pushes hardest center the fastest wins 99% of the time.

There is always the guys on each team who say "Don't go center! You'll get crushed!"

Why would they get crushed? Oh, right. The other team goes center hard and rolls face.

So it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. The people who lack the confidence to push hard and drive a win sandbag and ensure a loss. Go in, die gloriously, set your team up for a win.

I love Terra Therma. It's a test for who has the brassiest balls. Who knows high central location with choke points and clear fire lanes is best spot, goes in and effin' TAKES IT, and who has a list of excuses for why the can't or shouldn't.

This. People who think those that go into the middle as fast as possible are bad are bad players themselves.

Terra Therma is a test of tactics. And the winning tactic isn't cowering outside.

Edited by dervishx5, 18 March 2016 - 04:20 AM.

#29 Lugh

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 04:22 AM

View PostSplashDown, on 17 March 2016 - 06:53 PM, said:

perhaps but its still better than conquest which is now the worst mode in game imo

Nope.

Assault is by far the worst game mode.

#30 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 18 March 2016 - 04:23 AM

View PostMrMadguy, on 18 March 2016 - 12:06 AM, said:

Domination is completely pointless, cuz there is no way to capture base, till entire enemy team won't be killed. So it's just Skirmish around spot, poorly chosen by devs. The whole point of Domination - is to prevent players from avoiding engagement, running away and hiding. Same thing can be achieved via improving Skirmish instead.

I would have thought Domination suits you to a tee, bearing in mind that most people just blindly rush to the colored circle ....that should suit your short range rush playstyle.

#31 MrMadguy

• 2,209 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 04:32 AM

View PostOderint dum Metuant, on 18 March 2016 - 04:23 AM, said:

I would have thought Domination suits you to a tee, bearing in mind that most people just blindly rush to the colored circle ....that should suit your short range rush playstyle.

It would be much better, if Domination would have base with cover as central point, instead of this stupid radar. There should be some sort of assault - not Snipe/LRM fest at open space.

#32 MrMadguy

• 2,209 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 01:39 PM

Lol. Players already refuse to come into circle on maps with open center (Alpine Peaks - is complete disaster in this case, cuz team, that spawns at left side of map - has advantage, as always) and simply let other team win within just one minute. I guess, Assault cap rushes weren't enough for PGI? Very soon they will be giving us 25K CB for free for one minute matches, lol.

Edited by MrMadguy, 18 March 2016 - 01:40 PM.

#33 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:36 PM

View PostCoolant, on 18 March 2016 - 03:49 AM, said:

So OP you make a title that makes everyone think you have a problem with the game mode and then you only have a problem with one map of the game mode? Perhaps don't waste out time

Actually, I only wanted to waste your time. And learn to proof read your posts.

#34 Mad Strike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLima , Peru

Posted 18 March 2016 - 05:36 PM

Bunch pf people playing a game they don't like , THAT'S THE REAL JOKE

lol

#35 Moomtazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 577 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 05:40 PM

View PostMister D, on 17 March 2016 - 05:49 PM, said:

Domination is everything I hate about MWO.

Namely, king of the hill nascar bulldozing.

Throwing yourself at the enemy, forcing yourselves into a bad position "because you have to", and never being prepared for it.

Huh? Domination killed NASCAR. I haven't seen a Domination Left-Turn match yet!

#36 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 05:44 PM

I've only played the mode once and it was on Alpine. Was a good laugh, put the thing at the bottom of the one location everyone hated about the map with no cover from or for anything.

Didn't really expect much thought to go into planning the mode it at all, but man someone was all sorts of drunk when they picked that spot.

#37 MrMadguy

• 2,209 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 01:07 AM

View PostMad Strike, on 18 March 2016 - 05:36 PM, said:

Bunch pf people playing a game they don't like , THAT'S THE REAL JOKE

lol

Saying "If you don't like feature X - then you don't like entire game" - is Composition fallacy

Players never dislike entire game - they love some parts of it, but hate other. Player's opinion about this game usually represents balance between this two and depends on whether player can bypass things, he don't like, or not, i.e. are bad things mandatory or optional. And yeah, last straw situations actually happen, when developer suddenly changes balance between good and bad things. And worst case scenario - is when developers trying to force bad things on you, as trade off for good things.

Greatest example - forced no flying in Wow. It became last straw for millions of players. Since WotLK, Wow have always been the game, where every new xpack was trade off between decent and terrible changes. Looks like they just can't implement some good changes without trying to feed you with some BS, so perfect game is simply impossible. And they don't realize, that good and bad changes aren't additive - they're multiplicative.
Posted Image
I guess, PGI aren't experienced enough game developers, so they haven't realized, that what they're doing to compensate loss of players - is driving more and more players away from their game.

Edited by MrMadguy, 19 March 2016 - 01:14 AM.

#38 Nyte Kitsune

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 440 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSeattle, Wa USA

Posted 19 March 2016 - 01:16 AM

I feel your pain, luckily I have yet to be punished with Terra Therma and Dominion, then again I also haven't been on Alpine Peaks since the patch. So I have no idea what the spawn and conquest are yet, and no, don't tell me.

As for Dominion as a mode its nice to have another option, and there's still one more new mode coming to Quick Play.

#39 MrMadguy

• 2,209 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 01:39 AM

View PostNyte Kitsune, on 19 March 2016 - 01:16 AM, said:

I feel your pain, luckily I have yet to be punished with Terra Therma and Dominion, then again I also haven't been on Alpine Peaks since the patch. So I have no idea what the spawn and conquest are yet, and no, don't tell me.

As for Dominion as a mode its nice to have another option, and there's still one more new mode coming to Quick Play.

Conquest spawns at Alpine haven't been changed. Skirmish spawn points are changed, but it's still better to go to mountain - yesterday's 12:0 match against team, that refused to do it, proves it. Maybe less disadvantage for team, that swans at right side of map. Domination spawn points are very similar Assault ones. Team, that spawns at left side of map still has advantage of having direct access to radar and opposite team can't even get into range without being lurmed till death - so Domination at Alpine is complete joke. Easy win for left spawns team.

#40 Gyrok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 19 March 2016 - 09:39 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 18 March 2016 - 12:46 AM, said:

At least on Polar you can use it strategically to block LRMs...

20 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 20 guests, 0 anonymous users