#1 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,341 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 21 March 2016 - 07:39 PM

So I was just in a match that had what I feel to be, a relatively cheap way to deprive me of a kill, and I know I'm not the only one who's experienced this.

In my HBK 4G, I'd just obliterated a poor locust through the back, securing a kill and marching on to where I knew another enemy was, which I soon confronted face to face with a HBK IIC laser variant. We faced down, entering one hell of a brawl, their small lasers vs my mediums and AC20. We fought hard and I'd destroyed both his side torso's, but apparently he was running a standard because he was still standing with 2 ersl's in his ct...

Then, he popped... not due to the damage I'd done [well, I guess you could say partially due to the damage I'd done, since I'd likely stripped his heatsinks] but due to an overheat suicide, robbing me of the kill and the associated c-bills attached to said kill.

I moved on to get cored out by a tagteam of an atlas and crab, but... I couldn't help coming away from that fight with the HBK IIC and feeling, cheated.

I don't mind when someone jacks my kill usually, it happens, and I'm always glad for the team win over my own personal kills, but after such an amazing fight with a similar tonned mech, I just feel robbed and cheated.

So, how do the rest of you feel about this kind of thing? Do you think that in the event of someone popping due to heat, should the person they are fighting against [or did the majority of damage against them] get the kill? Or should it stay as a way to deny players the satisfaction of a kill?

#2 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 21 March 2016 - 07:45 PM

Suicides should award a kill to the guy who's getting KMDD in those cases as well. After all, if you drove them off a wall and they snapped the leg you burned red along with most of their upper body...face it, the ground just got the assist.

#3 L3mming2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 07:55 PM

all for awarding the kill to the player with most damage done. but there douse not need to be a penalty for the overheat sueside. if i fight a close despared batle i will always use overide and yes sometimes you heat kill your self. but atleast there is a chance you kill your oponent in time and shut down after just in time...

#4 eminus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 604 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 09:29 PM

in a way you got the cbills and xp via KMDD

#5 Troutmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 21 March 2016 - 09:32 PM

I'm not too fussed about this as it rarely happens. The only time I'd be really angry would be if I already had 7 kills and they would have been the 8th. I'll get that achievement eventually....

#6 Chuck Jager

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 09:49 PM

I do it every time I see 2 or more enemy on me. You can dish out more damage faster than trying to stay alive. it also really POs the folks trying to get the kill. Its legal and fun.

#7 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts
  • LocationOutter Periphery

Posted 22 March 2016 - 12:04 AM

Um...no. When a battle is hot and heavy it is numbingly easy to blow yourself up. Take my TBR prime, it's got something like 6 or 8 CERMLs on it. If I'm going into a fight against a damaged mech and I'm damaged I ALWAYS hit override and open up in hopes you die before me. It's a valid tactic. So sorry you don't like that, but, they allow it, we do it, you don't like it, tough. Damage. Faster than they are heating up, problem solved.

#8 Black Ivan

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 12:07 AM

During the last days I got this surprisingly often. Deep in fight with my Hunchback IIC short shut down and suddenly boom because of overheat. I wonder what happened still.

#9 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts
  • LocationOutter Periphery

Posted 22 March 2016 - 12:45 AM

You melted your reactor.

#10 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 22 March 2016 - 12:49 AM

View PostRejarial Galatan, on 22 March 2016 - 12:04 AM, said:

Um...no. When a battle is hot and heavy it is numbingly easy to blow yourself up. Take my TBR prime, it's got something like 6 or 8 CERMLs on it. If I'm going into a fight against a damaged mech and I'm damaged I ALWAYS hit override and open up in hopes you die before me. It's a valid tactic. So sorry you don't like that, but, they allow it, we do it, you don't like it, tough. Damage. Faster than they are heating up, problem solved.

Totally this, who cares as long as the enemy dies, or are you really that much of a stats whoore?

Edited by Ace Selin, 22 March 2016 - 12:50 AM.

#11 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 12:51 AM

OP, you did win, what do you want? You defeated your enemy, isn't that enough? That laughable cbill reward can't really be it, or is it?

Sure, everyone lives for the kills it is kind of satisfying to see that message pop up. But on the other side it is a valid move to override. I killed countless mechs before I cooked myself up and if you are to die anyway you better go down with guns blazing!

#12 Prof RJ Gumby

• The People's Hero
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 01:20 AM

Nope.
You didn't kill the enemy, you don't get the kill. It's that simple.
"Oh but I totally would" you can say. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Point is, you did not. Overheat, even with shutdown, can sometimes kill fresh mech on random.

Moreover, as CW proved perfectly, players really hate those defeats that drag on and on. You know, those people that play MWO to have fun and fund its existence. Seeing your team dying like sheep is not fun, 'Playing' a match that's already decided while you have very little no zero chance to do anything anymore is not fun either. Thus, leaving them with an option to go kamikaze is a very good thing - even when a player is a last man standing he still feels in power. He can push override and go "Die Hard" style. A chance to kill an enemy or two before dying AND a chance to deny the enemy the kill is simply good for player morale. It definitely saves more frustration that the "oh I didn't get the kill on that last helpless guy" reaction causes. Especially that killing that last guys after a stomp is next to no challange, if you don't count the challange to be faster than the rest of the hungry hounds in your team.

Edited by Prof RJ Gumby, 22 March 2016 - 01:28 AM.

#13 PyckenZot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 870 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAnderlecht, Belgium

Posted 22 March 2016 - 01:42 AM

View PostL3mming2, on 21 March 2016 - 07:55 PM, said:

all for awarding the kill to the player with most damage done. but there douse not need to be a penalty for the overheat sueside. if i fight a close despared batle i will always use overide and yes sometimes you heat kill your self. but atleast there is a chance you kill your oponent in time and shut down after just in time...

Indeed. I don't care who gets the kill. But I will always try to use that one extra shot to take someone out when given the option!

#14 kesmai

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 22 March 2016 - 02:57 AM

Well kill that bugger before he blows himself up. Not need to be greedy.

Edited by kesmai, 22 March 2016 - 02:58 AM.

#15 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 22 March 2016 - 03:28 AM

I used to be a bit more for suicide penalties then I am now. Still, I think it is wrong and the suicider should be punished like every other FPS out there. However, it never hurts to compromise a bit on ones opinion.

Still, I think giving the kill to the attacker who did the most damage dealt before suicide is a good idea. I also think the game should acknowledge that too.

Basically, If the attacker (who inflicted the most damage) is "X" and the suicider is "Z", the game should say "X has killed Z" instead of the current "Z has killed Z". There could be some small icon or indicator next to it to denote it was a KMDD kill.

In anycase, don't give any credit to the suicider for the suicide.

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 22 March 2016 - 03:28 AM.

#16 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,341 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 22 March 2016 - 05:37 AM

View PostRejarial Galatan, on 22 March 2016 - 12:04 AM, said:

See, I'm not advocating to disallow the tactic, but instead to award the kill to the person you're fighting, since you died fighting them. Instead of denying them the c-bills and points.

#17 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 22 March 2016 - 05:43 AM

View PostBlack Ivan, on 22 March 2016 - 12:07 AM, said:

During the last days I got this surprisingly often. Deep in fight with my Hunchback IIC short shut down and suddenly boom because of overheat. I wonder what happened still.

You still take damage after shut down so long as your heat is above 100%.

#18 Nostromodamus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 183 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 05:52 AM

I'd be all for allowing the guy with KMMD or last hit scored to gain a kill bonus in that situation.

I regularly use override when I know I'm going to die, so I can go down fighting and scoring as high as I can before the inevitible. It never crosses my mind to do it in a spirit of "denying the kill". Award the kill to the KMMD or last player to score damage on me. Either solution would be fine with me.

I would ask that people don't be so hostile with those who choose to use the override feature. I was harassed just this morning for using override in this manner, with several people calling others to report me for the behavior, saying how I was denying the kill and that I was using override in the "wrong way". I have social anxiety disorder and the situation triggered a panic attack in me. All this because I am using a feature of the game in a legal manner.

#19 0bsidion

• 1,653 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 05:56 AM

View PostCMDR Sunset Shimmer, on 22 March 2016 - 05:37 AM, said:

See, I'm not advocating to disallow the tactic, but instead to award the kill to the person you're fighting, since you died fighting them. Instead of denying them the c-bills and points.

I guess I don't care one way or the other if they change it. I hit override to kill my opponent or die trying, or both. Once I'm dead it doesn't really matter to me who gets the credit for it or not, since I'm not doing it for any other reason.

#20 Astrocanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 642 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 05:57 AM

View PostCMDR Sunset Shimmer, on 21 March 2016 - 07:39 PM, said:

So I was just in a match that had what I feel to be, a relatively cheap way to deprive me of a kill, and I know I'm not the only one who's experienced this.

In my HBK 4G, I'd just obliterated a poor locust through the back, securing a kill and marching on to where I knew another enemy was, which I soon confronted face to face with a HBK IIC laser variant. We faced down, entering one hell of a brawl, their small lasers vs my mediums and AC20. We fought hard and I'd destroyed both his side torso's, but apparently he was running a standard because he was still standing with 2 ersl's in his ct...

Then, he popped... not due to the damage I'd done [well, I guess you could say partially due to the damage I'd done, since I'd likely stripped his heatsinks] but due to an overheat suicide, robbing me of the kill and the associated c-bills attached to said kill.

I moved on to get cored out by a tagteam of an atlas and crab, but... I couldn't help coming away from that fight with the HBK IIC and feeling, cheated.

I don't mind when someone jacks my kill usually, it happens, and I'm always glad for the team win over my own personal kills, but after such an amazing fight with a similar tonned mech, I just feel robbed and cheated.

So, how do the rest of you feel about this kind of thing? Do you think that in the event of someone popping due to heat, should the person they are fighting against [or did the majority of damage against them] get the kill? Or should it stay as a way to deny players the satisfaction of a kill?

Popped both his side torsos and the fight went on. Then he "suicided" by heat? Presumably while still fighting you. And you feel cheated.

A) You couldn't have popped both side torsos and still fought him.
B) It wasn't a "heat suicide to cheat you out of your kill" if he's still trying to kill you instead of run away. Or was he supposed to simply stand there while you popped his third torso?

LOL

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users