#21 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:00 PM

View PostMerryIguana, on 24 March 2016 - 11:41 AM, said:

That ortho leads me to believe PHX can mount 2 pistols. I approve.

Mind... blown!

Dual-wielding pistols in MWO? That's my jam!

Posted Image

View PostOni74, on 24 March 2016 - 12:29 PM, said:

Not a fan of the motorcycle helmet. Reminds me of the Enforcer-cluster-****. The head needs to be 30% narrower.

What's the deal with laundry-pin jumpjet protrusions? Couldn't they come up with something more high-tech?

It looks ok, but would definitely look 10 times better if it was narrower. Like the Black Knight helmet.

#22 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:03 PM

No need to worry about a "neck" since it cannot pivot the head. A neck could be a severe liability, since it would be a small piece of material that, if shot, could result in decapitation...
(Okay, okay... In MWO it cannot pivot the head)

I am really wondering about those JJ hitboxes...

Edited by Prosperity Park, 24 March 2016 - 01:04 PM.

#23 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:13 PM

View PostBarantor, on 24 March 2016 - 11:25 AM, said:

Looks like the grip is offset a little bit from where the barrel of the MG points.

I still wish we would get all the variants in timeline... they added the PHX-1b but not the PHX-3M?

HAte to be OCD, but nope
Posted Image

View PostBarantor, on 24 March 2016 - 11:40 AM, said:

It's nice, but it's always odd to me when they add in the "royal" variant which is usually the most rare, but don't include the Helm Memory Core upgrade models, usually M or S variants.

I realize that some variants can be created with others, but adding in more variants gives them the opportunity to add mechs with a more diverse array of quirks (as maligned as quirks are sometimes held).

With masc being in game now, I wish they would just go back and add all the masc versions of all mechs that are already in game.

In this case it was a matter of not packing "more of the same". Most of the 3050s PHX were also interchangeable. At least eh Royal allows for a high torso hard point.

View Postcdlord, on 24 March 2016 - 11:43 AM, said:

Okay, where are these orthos stored? I've seen them float around, but I can't find it on the mech page or on the store page...

could try the link in the OP? Posted Image

View PostMerryIguana, on 24 March 2016 - 11:41 AM, said:

That ortho leads me to believe PHX can mount 2 pistols. I approve.

Well, for several of the 3050 models, it SHOULD... my money is on PGI Modeler NOT getting the memo and the off arm just getting another PewPew box. Though isn't the PXH-KK the only other one with the second large laser in the pack?

View Postcdlord, on 24 March 2016 - 12:19 PM, said:

Well, yeah.... But what about the others, like the Archer and the Rifleman, Marauder, and Warhammer? I searched through the news and though I see the PHX, I don't see the others.....

http://mwomercs.com/...ory-black-widow

try "Warhammer blueprints" in the search engine. Or Rifleman. Archer, etc.

Or manually scroll through the Announcements page. If they are missing, well IDK, I guess that's why I download them the day they release.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 24 March 2016 - 01:16 PM.

#24 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:16 PM

View PostWill Hawker, on 24 March 2016 - 12:48 PM, said:

If the head is to narrow it'll look like a Jaeger from Pacific Rim.

which is fine by me

#25 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:21 PM

Still pretty stoked. I'd prefer a narrower head, but I'm on with what it's got.

I highly doubt those intakes are going to be an issue, even if they are ST hitboxed. They're going to be pretty small overall, this being a 45t medium mech that'll be appropriately scaled.

They're narrow, and pokey, so they won't be very easy to hit on a very rapidly moving, twisting mech. Aiming for them would be hazardous for most, strong likelihood of missing completely. Better to just aim center mass (again, 45t medium)

#26 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:23 PM

View PostOni74, on 24 March 2016 - 12:29 PM, said:

Not a fan of the motorcycle helmet. Reminds me of the Enforcer-cluster-****. The head needs to be 30% narrower.

What's the deal with laundry-pin jumpjet protrusions? Couldn't they come up with something more high-tech?

30% starts getting way to narrow, though around 15% as in this mod looks pretty good. Might see it go as far as 20. Beyond that, it's too skinny.
Posted Image

#27 Barantor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:29 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 March 2016 - 01:13 PM, said:

HAte to be OCD, but nope

In this case it was a matter of not packing "more of the same". Most of the 3050s PHX were also interchangeable. At least eh Royal allows for a high torso hard point.

You don't hate to be OCD... Posted Image The ortho isn't exactly true to the final model either sometimes. Wonder what happens if you try to slam an AC/2 in that MG slot lol.

Packing more of the same has been their MO for a while though has it not? There are at least a dozen mechs they've come out with that could replicate another variant in it's chassis.

I mean if they are going to keep quirks, then why not use that as the way to differentiate between variants?

PHX-3M has 2 energy in each arm, one ballistic in left arm, one ams in right arm, no ecm, jumpjets and a 270xl. The 3S comes close to this, but has masc and is missing a left arm energy point.

There are times when I don't have a problem with it, like the Archers where I can just update one of my 2Rs to exactly what the 4M is like, with other mechs the hardpoints are different combos and I wonder why they picked the ones they did.

Sometimes I wonder if the FWL ones are too good since they often have the K variant hardpoints but don't omit jumpjets. Posted Image

#28 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:34 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 24 March 2016 - 01:03 PM, said:

No need to worry about a "neck" since it cannot pivot the head. A neck could be a severe liability, since it would be a small piece of material that, if shot, could result in decapitation...
(Okay, okay... In MWO it cannot pivot the head)

I am really wondering about those JJ hitboxes...

who said anythign about a neck?

View PostBarantor, on 24 March 2016 - 01:29 PM, said:

You don't hate to be OCD... Posted Image The ortho isn't exactly true to the final model either sometimes. Wonder what happens if you try to slam an AC/2 in that MG slot lol.

Packing more of the same has been their MO for a while though has it not? There are at least a dozen mechs they've come out with that could replicate another variant in it's chassis.

I mean if they are going to keep quirks, then why not use that as the way to differentiate between variants?

PHX-3M has 2 energy in each arm, one ballistic in left arm, one ams in right arm, no ecm, jumpjets and a 270xl. The 3S comes close to this, but has masc and is missing a left arm energy point.

There are times when I don't have a problem with it, like the Archers where I can just update one of my 2Rs to exactly what the 4M is like, with other mechs the hardpoints are different combos and I wonder why they picked the ones they did.

Sometimes I wonder if the FWL ones are too good since they often have the K variant hardpoints but don't omit jumpjets. Posted Image

dude... the original 3M has 2x ERLLs... and single heat sinks. (Yeah they eventually fixed that in the Upgrade TROs, but sheesh!)

Not too many people are worried about the FWL models being too good. (Upgraded HBK.... with 5 shots of ammo for the AC?)

Now if we were talking about the 3050 Steiner upgrades... well, yeah. OP.

#29 BigBenn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 571 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:38 PM

I understand the desire to have mechs looks like the original, but actually having hands gripping a gun is a bit much. I was hoping to see a shorter right arm weapon instead of the monstrous thing in the blueprints. But alas....

I really hope to see the Battlemaster attended to. The canopy. The over sized missile launchers on the arms. Etc. Etc.

#30 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:40 PM

View PostBigBenn, on 24 March 2016 - 01:38 PM, said:

I understand the desire to have mechs looks like the original, but actually having hands gripping a gun is a bit much. I was hoping to see a shorter right arm weapon instead of the monstrous thing in the blueprints. But alas....

And since ti was in the concept...you expected it to be removed? Posted Image

#31 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:43 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 March 2016 - 01:34 PM, said:

who said anythign about a neck?

dude... the original 3M has 2x ERLLs... and single heat sinks. (Yeah they eventually fixed that in the Upgrade TROs, but sheesh!)

Not too many people are worried about the FWL models being too good. (Upgraded HBK.... with 5 shots of ammo for the AC?)

Now if we were talking about the 3050 Steiner upgrades... well, yeah. OP.

Yeah a lot of them retrograded the "upgrade" on the HBK too lol.

WVR-6M and 7M come to mind though as well.

Steiner upgrades do seem to be pretty good. FWL has a prevalence for Large Lasers (good), LRMS (not so good) and LBX (not so good) whereas Steiner uses cheaper weapons on upgraded frames.

Still, I stand by the grumpiness that I would like them to fill out all the variants for all the current mechs. Your Grand Dragons would slot into this too, though I understand if they wait till the rescale is done on them.

#32 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 02:12 PM

Posted Image

#33 BarHaid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,069 posts
  • LocationMid-Cascadia

Posted 24 March 2016 - 02:13 PM

Hey people; this is a Phoenix Hawk. It's SUPOSED to have a fishbowl for a head!

;)

#34 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 02:17 PM

View PostBarantor, on 24 March 2016 - 01:43 PM, said:

Yeah a lot of them retrograded the "upgrade" on the HBK too lol.

WVR-6M and 7M come to mind though as well.

Steiner upgrades do seem to be pretty good. FWL has a prevalence for Large Lasers (good), LRMS (not so good) and LBX (not so good) whereas Steiner uses cheaper weapons on upgraded frames.

Still, I stand by the grumpiness that I would like them to fill out all the variants for all the current mechs. Your Grand Dragons would slot into this too, though I understand if they wait till the rescale is done on them.

well, in fairness, LB-X in TT are great. Straight upgrade to the AC10. And traditionally the FWL had issues producing PPCs, so the prevalence of LLs in th e3050 TRO made sense that way.

And of course, a lot of "glitches" were intentional to show the rushed nature. Just always thought the PXH-3M was so egregious in that that it went to unbelievable. Engineers install a new upgraded laser that tax 120% what the unit's heatsinks can cope with in a "cycle", then decide to add a second one, knowing that it was almost impossible to continuously use the 1 laser, let alone both.

14 waste heat from one salvo... if standing still and not using the medium lasers. If jumping..and you pull an alpha? 26 waste heat, very good chance of auto shutdown and ammo explosion.

It was just like... man..Even Liao wouldn't put that into service..... Posted Image

View PostBarHaid, on 24 March 2016 - 02:13 PM, said:

Hey people; this is a Phoenix Hawk. It's SUPOSED to have a fishbowl for a head!

Posted Image

depends on the art source

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 24 March 2016 - 02:17 PM.

#35 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 24 March 2016 - 02:30 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 March 2016 - 02:17 PM, said:

well, in fairness, LB-X in TT are great. Straight upgrade to the AC10. And traditionally the FWL had issues producing PPCs, so the prevalence of LLs in th e3050 TRO made sense that way.

And of course, a lot of "glitches" were intentional to show the rushed nature. Just always thought the PXH-3M was so egregious in that that it went to unbelievable. Engineers install a new upgraded laser that tax 120% what the unit's heatsinks can cope with in a "cycle", then decide to add a second one, knowing that it was almost impossible to continuously use the 1 laser, let alone both.

14 waste heat from one salvo... if standing still and not using the medium lasers. If jumping..and you pull an alpha? 26 waste heat, very good chance of auto shutdown and ammo explosion.

It was just like... man..Even Liao wouldn't put that into service..... Posted Image

depends on the art source

Bishop, go easy on the FWL.... Mechs really are not their thing... Tanks on the other hand....

#36 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 02:38 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 24 March 2016 - 02:30 PM, said:

Bishop, go easy on the FWL.... Mechs really are not their thing... Tanks on the other hand....

If I could pilot a 95 ton Ontos Tank you know I would. Posted Image

Either way the FWL led the way for a lot of mech upgrades just prior to the clan invasion but we seem to get them sporadically here.

#37 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 24 March 2016 - 02:55 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 24 March 2016 - 11:32 AM, said:

I thought you'd be happy with all the different variants that are all going to be here in one day when it is released.

Anyhow, Phoenix Hawk, are it's jump jets, it's wings/pack, going to be hitboxes?

If they are then Phoenix Hawk's going to be in some deep mud.

I have refused to buy it because of this reason alone....That makes the ST's on the mech the size of a Heavies.

Until I see how it plays out i wont be touching these.

#38 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 24 March 2016 - 03:03 PM

View PostRevis Volek, on 24 March 2016 - 02:55 PM, said:

I have refused to buy it because of this reason alone....That makes the ST's on the mech the size of a Heavies.

Until I see how it plays out i wont be touching these.

I'm saving for Kodiak anyways, seems like a better deal IMO.

$55USD for a Hero, and 3 Variants that are useful (plus a duplicate of one variant)? That sounds like something I can get behind if I compared to a la carte of some mechs today.

#39 Myke Pantera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 836 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 24 March 2016 - 03:04 PM

I don't like the side view of the thighs. Apart from that, it looks satisfying for me.

#40 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 03:14 PM

View PostBarantor, on 24 March 2016 - 02:38 PM, said:

If I could pilot a 95 ton Ontos Tank you know I would. Posted Image

Either way the FWL led the way for a lot of mech upgrades just prior to the clan invasion but we seem to get them sporadically here.

funny how the retcons work, really when so many of the mech sin the "3050" upgrade, originally weren't even available until the Outreach Conference, when Marik agreed to make the Upgrade Kits for everyone else, since they were not embroiled at war.

Heck, 90% of Mechs even in the House Armies weren't even upgrades. Prince Victor, Hohiro, Kai, and their entourage all drove 3025 tech mechs until after Outreach. When the future of the Realm doesn't have a high tech mech, pretty much nobody did.

But man with all the retcons, Upgrades, etc, you'd think half the mechs in the war of 3039 were full blown level 2 Star League Mechs... yet even most of the ones that Kurita got from Comstar were stipped to level 1 tech.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users