71 replies to this topic

#61 Aetes Nakatomi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 571 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire, England

Posted 25 March 2016 - 01:55 AM

Overall I love the feel they have captured. But I desperately want the whole gun to disappear if the hardpoint is unused and the head is a little too Enforcery for my liking.

Edited by Aetes Nakatomi, 25 March 2016 - 01:55 AM.

#62 0bsidion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 05:45 AM

View PostAetes Nakatomi, on 25 March 2016 - 01:55 AM, said:

Overall I love the feel they have captured. But I desperately want the whole gun to disappear if the hardpoint is unused

I'm hoping for that as well, but somehow I doubt it's going to happen. Still, the hand held gun is a first for MWO that actually made the translation from BT art. The Wolverine, Griffin, and Battlemaster should have had them too.

#63 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 25 March 2016 - 07:29 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 25 March 2016 - 01:19 AM, said:

you like Scorpions though, so ya know... kinda suspect...... Posted Image

Everybody likes Scorpions, whoever says otherwise are lying their arses offs and are simply ashamed to admit it. Posted Image

Edited by Juodas Varnas, 25 March 2016 - 07:29 AM.

#64 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 25 March 2016 - 07:43 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 25 March 2016 - 07:29 AM, said:

Everybody likes Scorpions, whoever says otherwise are lying their arses offs and are simply ashamed to admit it. Posted Image

I will grant you, they are remarkably resultant machines, but I've never liked quads, to me they are not Battle Tech.

#65 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 25 March 2016 - 08:14 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 25 March 2016 - 07:29 AM, said:

everybody but the poor saps getting the crap beat out of them simply driving to drive one.

"The design itself was also shunned by most MechWarriors due to the rough ride of the four-legged gait"

I think if Scorpions were ever added, we'd have to include violent screen and reticle shake anytime they moved..... Posted Image

#66 Richard Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 886 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 10:10 AM

Whats a good mech to try out to get used to the style of the Phoenix Hawk? Most of my mechs have high points and don't rely on weapons in the arms that much, so I'm not that well practised with them.

#67 BigBenn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 571 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 25 March 2016 - 10:15 AM

View PostWill Hawker, on 25 March 2016 - 10:10 AM, said:

Whats a good mech to try out to get used to the style of the Phoenix Hawk? Most of my mechs have high points and don't rely on weapons in the arms that much, so I'm not that well practised with them.

Shove as many jump jets as you can on a GFN, cram in the largest STD engine, put a PPC in the right arm, and 2 ML and SL anywhere else you can... and go bee-bop around the maps screaming "ARMAGEDDON!"

If PGI used the same Arctic Cheeter damage mod on the Phoenix Hawk it will be very enjoyable to play. I have high hopes. I bought the standard pack with the -R hero add on. So.... I'm going to keep my fingers crossed.

Edited by BigBenn, 25 March 2016 - 10:18 AM.

#68 jss78

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 25 March 2016 - 10:37 AM

View PostWill Hawker, on 25 March 2016 - 10:10 AM, said:

Something like VND-1AA is probably as close as you'll get. Same tonnage, pretty much the same movement profile, two laser arms.

#69 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 25 March 2016 - 12:15 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 March 2016 - 09:40 PM, said:

both have their pros and cons. I enjoy designing and building mechs. That said by your own word, you enjoy the mechlab MORE than the actual game. That speaks somewhat more to the state of the game than an unbridled love of Mechlabs (after all you could spend all day on Smurfy, Remlab, Mech Factory, etc, instead).
Well, no, because I only enjoy designing and building mechs that I can then play. Each needs the other to be fun.

With that said, I understand and agree with the rest. I personally eschew meta loadouts most of the time, but I'm fully cognisant of the issues you're talking about. Realistically, though, that is going to happen no matter what: if we just had l1 tech stock mechs, the best would become meta and the rest be unused in the same manner as now (though at least not be some travesty of a rebuild - I do get where you're coming from!)

You know what's crazy? For all it's bad artwork, I really had fun with MWTactics, because I could play in the Mech Lab,and yet not feel as trapped by Meta. It's one reason I long for HBS's upcoming game.
I never did try MWTactics, despite it being more my thing.... Was nervous about how things where going and their monetisation etc, so I passed... Turned out I was right, unfortunately.

But yeah, there's a strong probability that HBS's offering will totally replace MWO for me, at least for a good while.

#70 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 25 March 2016 - 12:20 PM

View PostBarHaid, on 24 March 2016 - 11:13 PM, said:

That's right! STEP UP TO THE PLATE!!!

But back on topic to the thread: It really is a conundrum for me. I LIVE to play in the mechlab and try to create the "perfect" loadout on a mech. And yet, I desperately long to be restrained by hardpoint size and quantity limitations.

So many threads on this, soooooo log ago.

I accept my Stock account and my Unlimited account. Never the two shall meet. Posted Image

Hey, limitations make mechlab time MORE fun, not less. If mechs are just open bags of tonnage, there's nothing to work around and optimized, you just cram stuff in and done. I actually prefer mech building with Clam mechs over IS mechs because the reduced customisation makesbit more interesting.

I came on board with this pretty late, I was strongly against sized hardpoints (and am still a realist about the - they won't help balance for example) but after the Clam release... I'd love them. Bishop was right :)

Edited by Wintersdark, 25 March 2016 - 12:21 PM.

#71 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 25 March 2016 - 12:20 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 25 March 2016 - 12:15 PM, said:

Well, no, because I only enjoy designing and building mechs that I can then play. Each needs the other to be fun.

With that said, I understand and agree with the rest. I personally eschew meta loadouts most of the time, but I'm fully cognisant of the issues you're talking about. Realistically, though, that is going to happen no matter what: if we just had l1 tech stock mechs, the best would become meta and the rest be unused in the same manner as now (though at least not be some travesty of a rebuild - I do get where you're coming from!)

I never did try MWTactics, despite it being more my thing.... Was nervous about how things where going and their monetisation etc, so I passed... Turned out I was right, unfortunately.

But yeah, there's a strong probability that HBS's offering will totally replace MWO for me, at least for a good while.

What I like is you really get to "test your mech building" in the TT/Turn based style, whereas in FPS too much is determined my twitch skill and coordination. (which is fine too, but just totally different).

But man I loved building my 2 AC5/2 ML/4LRM5 Jagers (MWT didn't allow you to increase armor, which kept a lot of build variety, actually), and having them support my HBKs up front (with a half ton of leg armor/small laser removed for an extra ton of AC20 ammo), and to be able to see a Light mech literally disintegrate from an AC20 blast or a 3 PPC alphs from my AWS-8Q. And flanking with my LRM5 packing Jenners. (Man I wish they'd had Assassins)

Such fun. I can't wait for Battletech.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 25 March 2016 - 12:21 PM.

#72 jss78

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 25 March 2016 - 02:21 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 25 March 2016 - 12:20 PM, said:

What I like is you really get to "test your mech building" in the TT/Turn based style, whereas in FPS too much is determined my twitch skill and coordination. (which is fine too, but just totally different).

But man I loved building my 2 AC5/2 ML/4LRM5 Jagers (MWT didn't allow you to increase armor, which kept a lot of build variety, actually), and having them support my HBKs up front (with a half ton of leg armor/small laser removed for an extra ton of AC20 ammo), and to be able to see a Light mech literally disintegrate from an AC20 blast or a 3 PPC alphs from my AWS-8Q. And flanking with my LRM5 packing Jenners. (Man I wish they'd had Assassins)

Such fun. I can't wait for Battletech.

That's actually really well-working build for the Jager-A in MWO, and close to how I run mine. With a cooldown module you get that "never-ending LRM hose" effect, and when people come to off you you open up with two well-quirked AC/5's. When possible you'll target the enemy with both the LRM hose and the AC's at the same time, and it's just plain evil.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users