Those With/getting Vr Post Here

129 replies to this topic

#41 Wolfkolf

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 09:42 PM

Vive support would so have me back in the game all the time! I got my Vive now where is my mech?! :-D

#42 CreszZ

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 52 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 10:48 AM

I am thinking about getting the Vive ( have the Oculus) ..."Vorpx" says that it support the Vive, I have created several Vorpx profiles for MWO that you can download from "cloud profiles" and try on the Vive ( use the ones that say "geometry 3D" first - they have the best 3D but you need to run the game in DX9).

Let me know how the experience with the Vive works out...

#43 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 07 June 2016 - 03:10 PM

Played the Vive at a friends house a month ago.

That VR stuff is gonna be the future of gaming. All we did was play Pictionary with it and it rocked.

#44 ThermidorFallen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Carnivore
  • The Carnivore
  • 224 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 07 June 2016 - 03:21 PM

Does Google Cardboard count?

#45 Radbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 07 June 2016 - 10:06 PM

I was hovering the "Buy" button for the DK2 but realised ... "how in the World will I see my beer? This buy is just several accidents waiting to happen". So I never purchased.

On a more serious note, 3D Movies give me a slight headache, and I think the image quality is worse than 2D. I'm worried it will be the same with VR for me. I guess I just want to try it Before I buy it and then make my decision. I'm sitting 4 feet from a 60" screen anyways, and that thing feels like a windscreen. I'm quite immersed and happy with what I have =)

#46 Project_Mercy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 430 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 05:57 PM

View PostRadbane, on 07 June 2016 - 10:06 PM, said:

On a more serious note, 3D Movies give me a slight headache, and I think the image quality is worse than 2D. I'm worried it will be the same with VR for me. I guess I just want to try it Before I buy it and then make my decision. I'm sitting 4 feet from a 60" screen anyways, and that thing feels like a windscreen. I'm quite immersed and happy with what I have =)

The method of how 3D movies "Work" is very different from a VR headset. It basically plays tricks with your brain. I also have issues with most 3D movies.

VR on the other hand is great, if it gets setup correctly. There's certain things that many people initially have issues adjusting too (usually your avatar moving or doing something without you actively attempting to do it.. it really messes with your brain and your brain's answer to most of that is "Let's Vomit!") SIM games generally don't run into this case, because you're usually in some sort of "thing" that your controls are designed to move (like driving a car, or mech or whatever) and so you brain is generally happy.

I agree on VR for this game. Once you get used to HMDs and VR in a Sim, going back just.. feels like T-ball. I honestly just can't get into it anymore.

The resolution on the Rift/Vive is still mediocre though. Things in the "distance" have a tendency to be a bit grainy. You get used to it after a bit, but it's one of my few gripes about the headsets right now. I'm really looking forward to the next gen of VR headset. Hopefully that'll be of sufficient quality that I can basically ditch my larger monitors.

Considering Cryengine 3 came out with a VR version, I'm sort of sad PGI hasn't put more effort into it. I realize they're a pretty small shop, but honestly it's one of those things that if they HAD done it, they could have had a huge influx of people from Steam and the like. Valkyrie is total crap compared to MWO and people are eating it up just because it's cool. It feels like a huge lost opportunity.

#47 Colonel Cabbage

Rookie

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 02:15 AM

I have the HTC Vive and would love for my pilot's head-tracking to be linked to my head. (Doesn't need to include arm or torso movement either)

#48 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 02:23 AM

Vive seems neat.

I'm looking into a single screen be headset, the split eye thing as shown in the oculus rift YouTube video above would be very disorienting without the offset perspectives.

Being able to independently control the head of the pilot, torso and arms of the mech all independently would really allow for some neat gameplay.

View PostColonel Cabbage, on 11 June 2016 - 02:15 AM, said:

I have the HTC Vive and would love for my pilot's head-tracking to be linked to my head. (Doesn't need to include arm or torso movement either)

Ask PGI for the settings, it works with track IR and should work for you.

#49 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 11 June 2016 - 08:58 AM

Did the fix the ui in 3d? It was crap when i played it with nvidia 3d vision surround

#50 CreszZ

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 04:40 AM

I have been playing in VR since the Oculus DK1 came out in 2013( that was lame- but I did it)...the DK2 and CV1 are quite good though and after playing this long in VR, I can't imagine playing any other way - this game is meant to be played in VR!

I personally like the head tracking moving the torso( which is what you get with Vorpx), but I know some people don't because it seems to make them motion sick which is something that I have never had a problem with luckily...

The Steam launch party had a DK2 set up that had the head movement independent of the torso movement, so it can be done obviously ( I personally don't like it that way- but that's me)

What we do have available in VR is pretty cool though - yes the mech lab and HUD are messed up, but the game is awesome! I posted profiles on Vorpx that you can download from the cloud and I actually tweaked the geometry 3 D settings down so that you can read the mech lab (it's still migraine inducing) but once you are in game you really should boost the 3D sepetation to around 1.35 or so ( it boots at 0.81 I think). - you'll love it!

Until they make a VR native version of this game, geometry 3D with Vorpx is as good as we can get - and it's pretty damn good. I have also played around with TriDef and was able to get some really good effects but for whatever reason it took away **** control and forced you to aim with your head...I mean actually no seperate mouse control just your head tracking ( at least in Vorpx you can still use your mouse too).

I have heard of people using Vimeo but I haven't hot that to work for me - if you have some info on how to make it work please post it - I would love to give it a try:

#51 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 13 June 2016 - 04:54 AM

+1 for first person mechbay and pilots quarters and more. Fallout 4 is going VR, MechWarrior Online get on it! :)

#52 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 10:38 PM

View PostCreszZ, on 13 June 2016 - 04:40 AM, said:

I have been playing in VR since the Oculus DK1 came out in 2013( that was lame- but I did it)...the DK2 and CV1 are quite good though and after playing this long in VR, I can't imagine playing any other way - this game is meant to be played in VR!

I personally like the head tracking moving the torso( which is what you get with Vorpx), but I know some people don't because it seems to make them motion sick which is something that I have never had a problem with luckily...

The Steam launch party had a DK2 set up that had the head movement independent of the torso movement, so it can be done obviously ( I personally don't like it that way- but that's me)

What we do have available in VR is pretty cool though - yes the mech lab and HUD are messed up, but the game is awesome! I posted profiles on Vorpx that you can download from the cloud and I actually tweaked the geometry 3 D settings down so that you can read the mech lab (it's still migraine inducing) but once you are in game you really should boost the 3D sepetation to around 1.35 or so ( it boots at 0.81 I think). - you'll love it!

Until they make a VR native version of this game, geometry 3D with Vorpx is as good as we can get - and it's pretty damn good. I have also played around with TriDef and was able to get some really good effects but for whatever reason it took away **** control and forced you to aim with your head...I mean actually no seperate mouse control just your head tracking ( at least in Vorpx you can still use your mouse too).

I have heard of people using Vimeo but I haven't hot that to work for me - if you have some info on how to make it work please post it - I would love to give it a try:

How is the hud in vr... it sucks in nvidia 3d surround... hud is '3d' but seems off kilter and makes aiming even harder..

#53 White Bear 84

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 10:41 PM

With the slew of games inc Fallout 4, Resident evil and Doom that are set to get made up for VR after this years E3 count me in!

#54 Chemical Hazard

Rookie

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 03:13 PM

HTC Vive here. I'd love to play MWO with it.

#55 CreszZ

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 05:51 PM

The HUD in VR is not in 3D and you have to use the "edge peek" ( middle mouse button ) to see it, but at least it's readable that way... I used the Nvidea 3D vision too and it was distracting 1 VR is much better ...

For you Vive guys - it should work with Vorpx, let me know how it plays...

#56 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 06:23 PM

I hope they eventually fix NVidia 3d vision with the rise in popularity in VR... I would play this game more often if 3D worked.

#57 Jack Shayu Walker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 05:58 AM

Deeply sad after last nights town hall. Until PGI has a way to turn VR off for the front end, and on for the game, they've put set VR to the side.

#58 CreszZ

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 06:29 AM

I was working during the town hall and only caught some of the beginning, but if you heard them say there is a way to turn it on - that may mean we can do it on our own..(like "Alien Isolation") .

I made a vague comment on the HUD in VR earlier...to clarify; The HUD target reticle and info works great along with the map in VR, but the weapon overlays and target info display are displayed outside your Fieid Of View - so you have to use "edge peek" to see them with Vorpx but if there is a way to "turn on" the VR native maybe this won't be an issue...I know that they want to do a whole VR interface kind of like "Elite Dangerous" for an officially endorsed VR release but it was still perfectly playable at the Steam Launch party...

Edited by CreszZ, 18 June 2016 - 06:30 AM.

#59 Trashhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 261 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 09:22 AM

Had a chance to play some demo's on a HTC Vive, works well when you can walk around.
Never had a chance to play a simulator-like game (like Elite:Dangerous).

I do own a head-tracker (TrackIR, but there are of cause others like Tobii EyeX and so on) and it works well in MWO (better in E:D, of cause).

Need a lot of practice, though, since there is now another degree of freedom to get used to (apart from turning your mechs legs, the torso, and the cross-hair all separately).
I sometimes loose track of where the cross-hair is, but it's getting better. ;)

I highly recommend to switch of relative X, Y and Z positioning, otherwise the game will try to represent your heads position (and not only yaw, pitch and roll) in the cockpit, which is even more confusing and of no real use, imho.

#60 NickPtar

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 02:00 PM

View PostAlexander Garden, on 27 May 2016 - 11:13 AM, said:

I'm the self-professed VR fanatic person here. Started with the DK2 and have been running hobbyist development with the Vive for a little while now. If you were here for our Steam launch party in December you may have had a chance to try out the (very simple) Atlas 'Mech Repair Vive demo I put together for it, or you got a chance to sit down and run around in MWO itself on Canyon Network with an Oculus DK2 setup.

More than a few of us here are really stoked on VR in general, and its potential for MWO. Right now our hurdles are less on the technical side, more on the practical design side. For me, proper implementation of VR is more than hooking it in and getting the bare minimum in place. UI alone is a huge component of proper implementation, for frontend/menu and in-game HUD, and it's those kinds of things that we're currently looking at for proper native VR support in the future.

Bare minimum:

Keyboard+mouse+VR:

Keyboard (WASD) controls legs
Mouse controls torso twist and weapons
VR headset controls arms (as if freelook is always on) *separately* from torso (mouse)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users