Defender of Star League

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,346 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationIn Dropship DogeCafe

Posted 03 April 2016 - 07:08 PM

Russ didnt say it was the cy but im kool with that or the Thug.

#102 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 03 April 2016 - 07:26 PM

View PostLastKhan, on 03 April 2016 - 07:08 PM, said:

He didn't say it was the Cyclops, but he said the concept art was completed a long time ago... and the Cyclops is one we know had arts completed.

Hence why I would lean toward it being the case.

#103 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 April 2016 - 07:32 PM

View PostLastKhan, on 03 April 2016 - 07:08 PM, said:

Does the Thug have it's concept done? What mechs do we know have their concept done?

#104 LastKhan

Defender of Star League

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 07:33 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 03 April 2016 - 07:26 PM, said:

He didn't say it was the Cyclops, but he said the concept art was completed a long time ago... and the Cyclops is one we know had arts completed.

Hence why I would lean toward it being the case.

That is true, again im kool with it. Thug would be pretty neat as well. but you know DoA brah.

View PostTheArisen, on 03 April 2016 - 07:32 PM, said:

Does the Thug have it's concept done? What mechs do we know have their concept done?

Who knows what is behind the curtain at PGI. :P but yea the cy did so meh.

Edited by LastKhan, 03 April 2016 - 07:35 PM.

#105 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 07:52 PM

View PostLastKhan, on 03 April 2016 - 07:33 PM, said:

That is true, again im kool with it. Thug would be pretty neat as well. but you know DoA brah.

Who knows what is behind the curtain at PGI. Posted Image but yea the cy did so meh.

I'm down with the
Posted Image

#106 LastKhan

Defender of Star League

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 07:54 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 03 April 2016 - 07:52 PM, said:

I'm down with the
Posted Image

im more partial to this. Also Thug Lyfe.

Posted Image

Edited by LastKhan, 03 April 2016 - 10:04 PM.

#107 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 03 April 2016 - 09:58 PM

View Postoldradagast, on 03 April 2016 - 07:25 AM, said:

Agreed. It is a brutally good example. The 0XP is named such since that's about how much XP you'll get in battle using one. Terrible hardpoints that mostly hit rocks, all for ECM, which doesn't do you a lick of good if you have to expose 60%+ of your mech just to shoot something.

Amusingly, part of the tweakage the -0XP got was needed for the remote sensor dispenser that MWO lacks.

If it could drop the equivalent of on-the-ground UAV-ish sensors (only it took up tonnage and had "ammo"), it'd have been considered one of the most incredibly unique and useful heavies in the game.

http://www.sarna.net...ensor_Dispenser

For that matter, you could have slapped it in as a "info hardpoint" option for the Cyclops as well, letting it lay down an extra eye or two to watch for the team as it trundled along.

#108 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• 5,339 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 04 April 2016 - 01:15 AM

View PostHit the Deck, on 03 April 2016 - 01:23 PM, said:

Thanks for answering the question! Now, I'd like to comment about what you wrote:

PGI's resource is finite and they need to be put to a good use. MWO is not Megamek where you just need to create a sheet and a sprite (may be an exaggeration). We need PGI to create good Mechs in our particular setting/environment so people buy and play them, and the Mech can add something meaningful to the game.

Just because PGI didn't make a mech that YOU wanted, doesn't mean that they "Wasted resources".

Those of us who spend the most on this game, are the ones that have history in the setting and lore.

If they had made some other mech, you likely wouldn't have wanted it anyway.

If you don't like a mech, you're not going to buy it, but OTHER'S may like it, and will buy it.

There is clearly enough of a call for this mech. If it got voted for. So, if enough people asked for a specific mech, then PGI's best interest to put the resources into making said mech. And if they held an official poll, then it's in their best interest to make the one that was voted for.

You, simply seem salty the mech you wanted wasn't the one voted for.

#109 Hit the Deck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 04 April 2016 - 02:13 AM

View PostCMDR Sunset Shimmer, on 04 April 2016 - 01:15 AM, said:

Just because PGI didn't make a mech that YOU wanted, doesn't mean that they "Wasted resources".

Those of us who spend the most on this game, are the ones that have history in the setting and lore.

If they had made some other mech, you likely wouldn't have wanted it anyway.

If you don't like a mech, you're not going to buy it, but OTHER'S may like it, and will buy it.

There is clearly enough of a call for this mech. If it got voted for. So, if enough people asked for a specific mech, then PGI's best interest to put the resources into making said mech. And if they held an official poll, then it's in their best interest to make the one that was voted for.

You, simply seem salty the mech you wanted wasn't the one voted for.

You are right that this Mech accumulated many votes against the Zeus and Charger. Thus my original question of why it got so many votes despite its apparent weaknesses in our current version of MWO. Talking about something apparent, maybe those who voted or wanted this Mech didn't really see it or think it through and just clinging to nostalgia. That's another reason this thread exist, to show people that it doesn't have much potential. Of course I can't change the mind of people like you.

I will certainly be salty if Cyclops get released but there's no infowar or at least change to the Command Console and it stays irrelevant. That's why I mentioned that and hope that it could gain some momentum or PGI pick the clue (to make meaningful infowar come true).

As for now I only like the Mad Cat Mk. II. It would cool if we can get it after the timeline jump. Fingers crossed that it won't be long!

#110 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• 5,339 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 04 April 2016 - 02:33 AM

View PostHit the Deck, on 04 April 2016 - 02:13 AM, said:

You are right that this Mech accumulated many votes against the Zeus and Charger. Thus my original question of why it got so many votes despite its apparent weaknesses in our current version of MWO. Talking about something apparent, maybe those who voted or wanted this Mech didn't really see it or think it through and just clinging to nostalgia. That's another reason this thread exist, to show people that it doesn't have much potential. Of course I can't change the mind of people like you.

I will certainly be salty if Cyclops get released but there's no infowar or at least change to the Command Console and it stays irrelevant. That's why I mentioned that and hope that it could gain some momentum or PGI pick the clue (to make meaningful infowar come true).

As for now I only like the Mad Cat Mk. II. It would cool if we can get it after the timeline jump. Fingers crossed that it won't be long!

I'd love meaningful infowar, but without a radar system that works similar to Mechwarrior 3/4/LL, you can't even begin to have proper info war. The fact that the radar system is so...screwed in this game is insane.

That being said, for those of us who like our mechs, we don't care if it's viable in the game, we automatically assume hardpoint inflation anyway these days. Sometimes, it's not about "Does it work in the game" but rather "Will it look cool in the game?"

There's an old joke in the wargaming community at large... especially in regards to battletech, since it follows "rule of cool."

Is it practical? No? Does it look cool? Yes. Then Do it.

At the end of the day, we have mechs like the Locust in game, that pop if you sneeze at them... or things like the Commando... Then we've got assaults like the Gladiator and the Victor and the Highlander...

I honestly dislike the Glad, Victor and Highlander... but you know what, I'm Happy they are in game, because somewhere, there's someone who LOVES that mech, and can virtually pilot it.

You're right, you won't make me change my mind, because my focus when it comes to the mechs in game isn't about the practicality of them. Mechs are far from practical to begin with, so if you really want to talk practicality, it's pointless. And honestly, the imbalances we currently have in the game are due to people like you who can't play just to play, and must optimize everything 5ever.

I hope the Madcat MKII makes it in also, why? it's classic, but I wouldn't want it before the Marauder II, Beheamoth, or Annihilator, since they're sooner in the timeline, and arguably, more deserving of being new Assaults.

#111 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 April 2016 - 02:41 AM

View PostHit the Deck, on 02 April 2016 - 06:08 PM, said:

Rumor says that PGI have a concept art of it ready.

Yup. A few pics have already been leaked for concept pictures

Spoiler

#112 50 50

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 04 April 2016 - 02:43 AM

I still hope the changes that were proposed for the information warfare are introduced.
I thought the additional values for the range, speed, duration, sharing range and signature for the mechs was a great idea.
There is so much more that could come from having this in the game not only from a change to the dynamics in the game but future additions for things such as modules.

As for the Cyclops... add it.
Would love to see it.
More mechs the merrier.

Perhaps we could see a 'Command Pack' added for IS and the Clan that introduces some new assets and functionality.
:)

#113 Clanner Scum

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 338 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 April 2016 - 03:32 AM

They'll just quirk it well to bring it in line with other assault mechs.

#114 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 04 April 2016 - 05:37 AM

View PostHit the Deck, on 02 April 2016 - 05:55 PM, said:

Wow this 'Mech blows! Having the same tonnage as the Mauler, Cyclops is basically an inferior version of it.

Posted Image

This thing needs serious hardpoint inflation if PGI decide to bring it into the game! Why did people vote for it?

EDIT: I didn't include variants with FutureTech or tech not in the game.

That mech will never translate well into MWO since it was primarily used for it's communication equipment.

#115 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 07:01 AM

View Postmogs01gt, on 04 April 2016 - 05:37 AM, said:

That mech will never translate well into MWO since it was primarily used for it's communication equipment.

and because anything beside click a pixel ArcadeWarrior scares and offends our CompOverlords, so the infowar that would enhance the value of mechs like the Raven, or make mechs like a Cyclops or Ostscout potentially viable, will never happen.

#116 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 07:05 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 04 April 2016 - 07:01 AM, said:

and because anything beside click a pixel ArcadeWarrior scares and offends our CompOverlords, so the infowar that would enhance the value of mechs like the Raven, or make mechs like a Cyclops or Ostscout potentially viable, will never happen.

Actually, would the Cyclops really be that bad if it got quirks similar to the Atlas? Until PGI implements infowar, that is.

#117 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,254 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 04 April 2016 - 07:07 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 04 April 2016 - 07:01 AM, said:

Now now, it is a well known fact that competitive play takes 1000 times the thought both pre match and during the match than any public match ever.

I'm serious. MWO public queue doesn't take enough thought for you? Try out competitive play.

#118 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,254 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 07:11 AM

Btw, what sets the Cyclops apart from the Mauler is its speed. Comes with a stock 360, so most variants should be able to take up to a 400 engine. Except for the dual gauss variant, which will likely get the 325 engine cap and Mauler-esque hardpoint inflation, so it will essentially be a Mauler alternate, quirks dependent.

#119 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,254 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 07:17 AM

View PostCathy, on 03 April 2016 - 12:54 PM, said:

Been thinking this whole thread seems to have come about because Russ said there may or may not be a second mech, an IS one announced in April, and its not going to be the flea, but some sketches were done, but need fleshing out.

Could be any mech really

Actually, the concept art was done a long time ago, but Alex went back and tweaked it, presumably with some lessons learned in mind or some of the newer mech assets. So it's all done now, and it is almost surely the Cyclops, which was slated to be the assault following the Zeus, but I think PGI felt resistance 2, being ALL energy boats needed a wow-factor assault so they used the Mauler instead, probably a good call for them.

I have mixed feelings, efficacy will heavily depend on hardpoint inflation and quirks, and the off chance that they will throw ECM on one of the variants.

If they do though, they HAVE to release an ECM Clan Assault.

#120 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 04 April 2016 - 07:21 AM

View Postcazidin, on 04 April 2016 - 07:05 AM, said:

Actually, would the Cyclops really be that bad if it got quirks similar to the Atlas? Until PGI implements infowar, that is.

It first needs hardpoint inflation if it got no meaningful command and electronic warfare role. Builds like this MAL-1R analogue could still work though, but it's limited.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users