138 replies to this topic

#81 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 April 2016 - 11:23 AM

Can we have just about any other assault mech instead? Finding one that's totally superior to the Clops is easy.

A second 95t mech would be good, help fill out the roster. I elect the Nightstar.
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Nightstar
http://mwomercs.com/...rk/page__st__40

Alternatively, we could go for an assault lighter than 100t that mounts ECM in lore, not just dreams. That'd be the Gunslinger.

#82 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• 5,339 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 03 April 2016 - 11:50 AM

View PostHit the Deck, on 02 April 2016 - 05:55 PM, said:

Wow this 'Mech blows! Having the same tonnage as the Mauler, Cyclops is basically an inferior version of it.

Posted Image

This thing needs serious hardpoint inflation if PGI decide to bring it into the game! Why did people vote for it?

EDIT: I didn't include variants with FutureTech or tech not in the game.

"Why did people vote for it?"

Because some of us love the setting, some of us love the mechs we grew up with, or that came with the Battletech Introductory Box Set, or that we utilized in various other mechwarrior games.

Not everyone that plays this crunches the numbers and must be uberleet bad boys that can destroy everything in one shot.

Some of us like the idea of the immersion, of the history and lore and don't need our mechs to be the best of the best.

Honestly, the more I see posts like yours, the more I die a little inside. You care nothing for the history and lore of the source material, only what works "best" and let's you kill fast.

It's a shame.

#83 xVLFBERHxT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 698 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 11:52 AM

For an ECM Assault just give us the Awesome 9Q and we are fine!

#84 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 03 April 2016 - 11:58 AM

View Postcazidin, on 03 April 2016 - 09:58 AM, said:

The problem with that is that few if anyone will want to play a fragile Assault mech, which is almost an oxymoron in and of itself! Remember, the Rifleman had an OK release but wasn't great. The Archer, a fire support mech, was considered bad because of it's geometry and poor quirks. The Cyclops would be poorly received if it's a brawler, because of the low mounts, but doesn't have any structure quirks to help it survive in a brawl. It wouldn't be a mini-Atlas then. It'd just be mediocre.

Hence the second half of my comment? Always enjoy when people cherry pick parts out of a comment, and lose the context in the process, all to argue over something that if one reads the entire comment was not actually promoted.

#85 Trauglodyte

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 12:09 PM

All of you are stuck on the supposed fragility of the mech. That is color commentary BS written to explain why the mech had such little armor. None of that has anything to do with MW:O. The Cyclops is an iconic mech in the Battletech universe and it the pinnacle of what is information warrior control. Quite frankly, it is the truest of C&C mechs in the entire game, much more so than the Atlas. Having played this game for as long as I have, it is no wonder that most people don't want it because it doesn't "pew pew" well enough which explains why everyone wants that giant piece of garbage the Annihilator. This game needs to be more than pushing a couple of buttons and doing damage. That the wanna-be top tier types shot down the tried concept of Infowarfare and that so many on this board follow them with baited breath is sad and beyond me.

#86 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 03 April 2016 - 12:18 PM

View PostTrauglodyte, on 03 April 2016 - 12:09 PM, said:

All of you are stuck on the supposed fragility of the mech. That is color commentary BS written to explain why the mech had such little armor. None of that has anything to do with MW:O. The Cyclops is an iconic mech in the Battletech universe and it the pinnacle of what is information warrior control. Quite frankly, it is the truest of C&C mechs in the entire game, much more so than the Atlas. Having played this game for as long as I have, it is no wonder that most people don't want it because it doesn't "pew pew" well enough which explains why everyone wants that giant piece of garbage the Annihilator. This game needs to be more than pushing a couple of buttons and doing damage. That the wanna-be top tier types shot down the tried concept of Infowarfare and that so many on this board follow them with baited breath is sad and beyond me.

Oh if it arrives, my money is spent, because it is what you are saying it is, and I've no real love for the easteregg mech, it just happened to be the endgame mech in MW3.

Most of the others touted here are wanted for the high meta mounts, wondering who would want the Annihilator if it was limited to 32kph, would people think it was a good choice then ?

#87 Bongo TauKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 559 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationPain, Inner Perpihery, Lyran Commonwealth.

Posted 03 April 2016 - 12:28 PM

View PostHit the Deck, on 02 April 2016 - 06:24 PM, said:

I'd love it when they finally announce the Cyclops as the next Mech release, they also announce the (re)introduction of info warfare! Imagine the reworked Command Console, new command wheel interface, better map, passive sensor, meaningful scouting role, etc. Then the Cyclops hopefully wouldn't be a waste and have a specialty as a valuable command center Assault.

You know I completely forgot about passive sensors ala MW4. That feature saved my arse many a time in a scout mech.

#88 LastKhan

Defender of Star League

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,346 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationIn Dropship DogeCafe

Posted 03 April 2016 - 12:30 PM

View PostCMDR Sunset Shimmer, on 03 April 2016 - 11:50 AM, said:

Because some of us love the setting, some of us love the mechs we grew up with, or that came with the Battletech Introductory Box Set, or that we utilized in various other mechwarrior games.

Not everyone that plays this crunches the numbers and must be uberleet bad boys that can destroy everything in one shot.

Some of us like the idea of the immersion, of the history and lore and don't need our mechs to be the best of the best.

Honestly, the more I see posts like yours, the more I die a little inside. You care nothing for the history and lore of the source material, only what works "best" and let's you kill fast.

It's a shame.

This i agree. Honestly 70% of the mechs in BT are meh with meh sauce, so what if its nothing new, most mechs are nothing new and can do this mech or that mech better. The mech lost in a neck to neck in the polls here on the forums with the Zeus i think it deserves to at least be showcased for those who did want it at that time. If you distaste it, dont buy it, and wait on the next Mechemon. Sometimes i think most people are over spoiled by the pumped up mechs.

Edited by LastKhan, 03 April 2016 - 12:32 PM.

#89 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 12:41 PM

View PostTrauglodyte, on 03 April 2016 - 12:09 PM, said:

Actually I don't see anyone stuck on "the supposed fragility" of it. A couple comments were made. The rest simply pointed out the fact that without info war all it is is a weaker Atlas.

You must spent more time and made more out of its fragility than we did.

#90 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 12:54 PM

Been thinking this whole thread seems to have come about because Russ said there may or may not be a second mech, an IS one announced in April, and its not going to be the flea, but some sketches were done, but need fleshing out.

Could be any mech really

#91 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 03 April 2016 - 12:57 PM

View PostCathy, on 03 April 2016 - 12:54 PM, said:

Been thinking this whole thread seems to have come about because Russ said there may or may not be a second mech, an IS one announced in April, and its not going to be the flea, but some sketches were done, but need fleshing out.

Could be any mech really

LIKE THE SCORPION!
It's not going to be the Scorpion.

#92 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 03 April 2016 - 01:23 PM

View PostCMDR Sunset Shimmer, on 03 April 2016 - 11:50 AM, said:

It's a shame.

Thanks for answering the question! Now, I'd like to comment about what you wrote:

PGI's resource is finite and they need to be put to a good use. MWO is not Megamek where you just need to create a sheet and a sprite (may be an exaggeration). We need PGI to create good Mechs in our particular setting/environment so people buy and play them, and the Mech can add something meaningful to the game.

View PostCathy, on 03 April 2016 - 12:54 PM, said:

Could be any mech really

Yes, you are right. It is also to tell people that the Cyclops is bad on paper for our current state of the game, so either don't release it, make it better, or make infowars a reality because it's what gives the Mech a purpose.

#93 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 02:02 PM

Might be an idea to make a poll with a neutral unbiased lead asking a yes no don't care

See if people want it or not.

Myself I'd rather have a visually good looking classic old school mech that brought nothing new, other than its shape, than a meta mech with high hard points.

Don't think there has been a genuine need for a mech based around pure performance since the Arctic Cheater, and the Ebon Jaguar were released.

I know a lot of comp teams take a pair of Atlas-S these days, the same people that were saying it was dead, because of its low mounts, until it got heavy structure quirks and the hit reg for srm's was improved.

Which seems to strongly suggest, any mech can be made a winner if its quirked hard enough.

So end of the day if it looks good buy it.

Edited by Cathy, 03 April 2016 - 02:04 PM.

#94 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 02:28 PM

Oh Bish, I did that cause the someone said that the Cyclops was Italian

#95 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 02:44 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 03 April 2016 - 11:58 AM, said:

Hence the second half of my comment? Always enjoy when people cherry pick parts out of a comment, and lose the context in the process, all to argue over something that if one reads the entire comment was not actually promoted.

...Actually, now that you mention it, what did happen to Infowar? Was it pushed off for a later date or completely scrapped, like the Command Console buff?

View PostMarack Drock the Unicorn Wizard, on 03 April 2016 - 02:03 PM, said:

Cyclops is... a horrible mech. It just looks cool. That is the only reason people want it.

...You know me so well. Posted Image

#96 Seal Farmer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 02:44 PM

This version looks cool. Think it wont be a great mech but.

Posted Image

#97 Vonbach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 697 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 03:31 PM

I'm up for the Cyclops. I've always thought this thing was cool.

#98 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 04:13 PM

View Postcazidin, on 03 April 2016 - 02:44 PM, said:

...Actually, now that you mention it, what did happen to Infowar? Was it pushed off for a later date or completely scrapped, like the Command Console buff?

...You know me so well. Posted Image

I don't think we ever got an official comment about the future fate of infowar, but the over the top retardery of some forum members over losing their point and click arcade shooter, makes me feel that they probably have scrapped it entirely, sadly.

#99 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 05:15 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 03 April 2016 - 04:13 PM, said:

I don't think we ever got an official comment about the future fate of infowar, but the over the top retardery of some forum members over losing their point and click arcade shooter, makes me feel that they probably have scrapped it entirely, sadly.

Language, Bishop. If you remember the problem was Ghost Range which was poorly thought out and implemented. This was PGI giving what we asked for to combat the laser meta in a way we didn't consider, I even made a thread about the short sightedness of it but that's another topic. I didn't like it, personally, but Ghost Range was workable.

What I really liked about "Info War" were the new quirks for mechs like sensor range, target gathering time, etc. I know that you dislike quirks, as they are now, but this was the easiest way for PGI to do this, I think. It'd be a terrible shame if they scrapped info war completely because we disliked a separate system.

Edited by cazidin, 03 April 2016 - 07:02 PM.

#100 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 06:26 PM

View Postcazidin, on 03 April 2016 - 05:15 PM, said:

Language, Bishop. If you remember the problem was Ghost Range which was poorly thought out and implemented. This was PGI giving what we asked for to combat the laser meta in a way we didn't consider, I even made a thread about the short sightedness of it but that's another topic. I didn't like it, personally, but Ghost Range was workable.

What I really liked about "Info War" were the new quirks for mechs like sensor range, target gathering time, etc. I know that you dislike quirks but this was the easiest way for PGI to do this, I think. It'd be a terrible shame if they scrapped info war completely because we disliked a separate system.

No. See. This is how issues and misinformation starts.

I do not dislike quirks. Have never said that. (Agent 0 Fortune and some others have). I do not like the current implementation and overreliance on quirks as bandaids and kiddie crack.

Quirks used as the icing on the cake, the cherry on top, in other words to fix whatever deficiencies that hardpoints or hitboxes can't on a unit, to accentuate a stock role for the unit, or for fluff reasons, I am fine with, in part because in almost all cases, those quirks would be relatively modest. And not every single mech would be draped in them. Using quirks to enhance JJs on mechs liek Spiders that in lore were superior jumpers above and beyond base specs (supposedly generated less heat while jumping, and their semi wings allowed for steering and limited in flight directionality), accenting Recon Mechs actualyl being better at Recon than Assault Mechs, etc?

Totally cool with that.

Quirks being poured out by the bucketful, becoming an all determining factor for a chassis viability, as a bandaid to leave broken weapons broken (hello PPC)?

THAT is what I have an issue with.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users