#1 Hawkeye 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationArcadia

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:55 AM

http://www.ign.com/a...tion-web-series

Good for them, but how does Mechwarrior: Online get one of these now?

I find it strange that a brand new F2P game manages to snag this kind of publicity, but a 20+ year franchise doesn't? (Don't mistake that statement for attacking PGI-they have bigger concerns, like releasing the game, than a flimsy web series to be working on)

Obviously this is far from a done deal (the team is still developing their ideas to present to the studio) but the wheels are in motion. But snagging Warner Bros. for the web-series? That's a shocker http://www.ausgamers...-and-web-series

So...

Anyone good with CGI? I'll write the script lol

#2 TheSassySquatch

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 177 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:02 AM

I would gladly just take some extended length real game play footage.

#3 Grugore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:12 AM

Mechwarrior doesn't need it. It has a rich history and many books written about it. That, and I bet their community can't hold a candle to ours. Granted, I'm biased, but I stand by my statement. I would like to see a Mechwarrior movie, though. Imagine what they could do with cgi now? That would be an awesome movie imho.

Edited by Grugore, 14 July 2012 - 10:13 AM.

#4 Icebound

• Elite Founder
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:12 AM

It just looks like Call of Duty: Robots. Nothing groundbreaking here, graphics are overrated for sure, gameplay looks twitch based.

Made by Adhesive Games, I had to spend more time than normal googling to find out who made it. Indie company first game, no idea how they managed to get all this hype with such a generic looking title.

#5 SinnerX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:18 AM

I just want a Mechwarrior game. We have what 30-40 novels for lore and story purposes? At least Battletech took historical inspiration for it's fluff, the Hawken story(based on the videos on that page) looks like the same recycled tripe we've been getting for the past decade, only this time with robots.

#6 Icebound

• Elite Founder
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:20 AM

Wouldn't be suprised if when the NDA gets dropped, so does anyone talking about Hawken.

#7 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:20 AM

They are funded by the same company as League of Legends, which hopes for the same kind of success and as such are ready to invest heavily into marketing. :P

#8 Bloodshed Romance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 726 posts
  • LocationFlorence, South Carolina

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:22 AM

i'll play Hawken.. but Mech Warrior will still be my favorite!
and Mech Warrior movies would be amazing..
Mech Warrior apparel and other misc things (car decals, stickers for my computer case, etc) would be amazing aswell...

Edited by Bloodshed Romance, 14 July 2012 - 10:23 AM.

#9 Faenwulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 671 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:27 AM

I don't know. The more I see of Hawken, the more it leaves me yawning. At the beginning I was hoping for soem similarity with the good old Heavy Gear but Meh. Nothing to look for there.

Concerning the Movie thing: Meh and Good. Good because it advertises Hawken and draws all thsoe trigger itchy suicidal maniacs of CoD, BF &Co. to the game they should be playing instead to MWO.

Edited by Faenwulf, 14 July 2012 - 10:47 AM.

#10 Doctor Strangelove

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:29 AM

Accept no cheap substitutes like Hawken.
Play only quality, satisfying and original MechWarrior Online.
[Raises dual PPC's into air firing]

#11 Davoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 618 posts
  • LocationFending off an entire RCT of Cappellans with a lance of Atlai

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:35 AM

Yes, when it goes live, we should get some people together to make a Mech Warrior version of what RedVsBlue is to Halo
But, more serious.
And with GIANT STOMPY ROBOTS!

#12 Lucan

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 36 posts
  • LocationCollierville, TN

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:40 AM

A movie about mechs is hard to make interesting without exchanging realism for anime-style super abilities. Mechwarrior tends to be slower paced and more merthodical, which, in my opinion, can be compared to real life warfare. That said, if some movie makers and producers can turn modern combat into an Expendables movie, someone can make a Mechwarrior movie about a mercenary team that gets betrayed or framed by an employer or something. Plus, combat gets hecktic when at least 3 mechs from either team meet and greet too so it can get crazy with an army vs. a mech merc group.

View PostDavoke, on 14 July 2012 - 10:35 AM, said:

Yes, when it goes live, we should get some people together to make a Mech Warrior version of what RedVsBlue is to Halo
But, more serious.

HELL YES! I would love that, even more to be part of it. I can see Atlas making fun of Jenner and then Jenner runing circles around him or stealing his kills :D

Edited by Lucan, 14 July 2012 - 10:43 AM.

#13 Foresale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 127 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:40 AM

View PostDavoke, on 14 July 2012 - 10:35 AM, said:

But, more serious.

I would be completely in favour of this and would help out any way I could. As long as I don't have to be the obligatory gender ambiguous character in the pink mech.

#14 Bongo TauKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 559 posts
  • LocationPain, Inner Perpihery, Lyran Commonwealth.

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:41 AM

I truly think Hawken was a rushed out game to compete with MWO. It fails in my opinion, at being a FPS instead of a true simulator of giant robot combat.

#15 PirateLincoln

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 152 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, USA

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:47 AM

Hey, the Hawken folks are gonna have to pull out all the stops to compete with the almost 30 years of rich history, shaped and nurtured by a vast fan-base, that BattleTech/MechWarrior has.

Hawken looks, like Bongo just said, to be a first-person-shooter with nothing to really make it stand out. This really looks like another one of those games that got a lot of funding and then went crazy trying to build up a false sense of history through marketing as opposed to, y'know, making a solid game.

My F2P FPS devotion is probably gonna end up going to DUST 514 anyways...looks WAY more interesting.

#16 Frisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 290 posts
  • LocationAustin TX

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:50 AM

Hawken looks completely epic. I really hope IGN ends up going the same route Hawken is. Having a live show to follow as well just make it that more awesome. With the timeline MWO has, it could really work out well, having 25 years + of people from all walks interested in some form of battletech, MWO has a very large base.

Anyone recall hearing about a battletech movie about 8-10 years ago? I the IP is all sorted out now, this franchise could be another Star Wars IMHO.

#17 Brose

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationChicago, Illinois

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:51 AM

View PostFrisk, on 14 July 2012 - 10:50 AM, said:

Anyone recall hearing about a battletech movie about 8-10 years ago? I the IP is all sorted out now, this franchise could be another Star Wars IMHO.

+1

#18 Team Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,222 posts
  • LocationUrbanmech and Machine Gun Advocate

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:54 AM

View PostGrugore, on 14 July 2012 - 10:12 AM, said:

Mechwarrior doesn't need it. It has a rich history and many books written about it. That, and I bet their community can't hold a candle to ours. Granted, I'm biased, but I stand by my statement. I would like to see a Mechwarrior movie, though. Imagine what they could do with cgi now? That would be an awesome movie imho.

Coming soon to a theatre near you: Battletech: The Game: The Movie. In IMAX 3DDDDDDDD!!!!

#19 Duke William

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationIS

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:01 AM

I dunno the hawken gameplay doesn't look that good. But I haven't payed too much attention to it.

#20 WuhSawBe

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationIronhold/Outreach

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:18 AM

View PostHawkeye 72, on 14 July 2012 - 09:55 AM, said:

Good for them, but how does Mechwarrior: Online get one of these now?

Anyone good with CGI? I'll write the script lol

You kind of answered your own question there imo. What will it take for Mechwarrior/Battletech to get a web series, or movie? A dedicated fan, with the drive, skill, and the tools to get the job done. That has always been part of joy of the BT universe, with a game as aged as this, a lot of this kind of stuff is in the hands of the fans. Heck, look at PGI as example... fans of Battletech, now making a Battletech game!

(credit to the latest No Guts, No Galaxy for touching on a subject similar to this)

View PostBongo TauKat Talasko, on 14 July 2012 - 10:41 AM, said:

at being a FPS instead of a true simulator of giant robot combat.

This as well. Reminds me of a mix between CoD and Armored Core. Quick-paced, tweek-fest, rambo style gameplay. Where as in MWO, you'll feel more like you are actually PILOTING the mech.

Edited by WuhSawBe, 14 July 2012 - 11:24 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users