• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 64 posts
  • LocationWashington, USA

Posted 05 April 2016 - 11:31 AM

View PostSiriothrax, on 05 April 2016 - 11:18 AM, said:

Bo5 regular, Bo7 finals tbh.

I absolutely would love to see this, if nothing else the finial finial should be bo7 for sure, but idk how possible bo5 would be for most of the qualifying as i'd imagine ALOT of teams are going to apply, if mrbc is able to get 60-70 this is going to get a **** ton. If pgi is willing to reach out and get ALOT of community refs, of which so long as they are still allowed to participate they shouldn't have too hard of a time doing, it may be possible! hell id volunteer to ref.

Edited by ChapDude, 05 April 2016 - 11:33 AM.

#62 Siriothrax

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 134 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 11:38 AM

View PostChapDude, on 05 April 2016 - 11:31 AM, said:

I absolutely would love to see this, if nothing else the finial finial should be bo7 for sure, but idk how possible bo5 would be for most of the qualifying as i'd imagine ALOT of teams are going to apply, if mrbc is able to get 60-70 this is going to get a **** ton. If pgi is willing to reach out and get ALOT of community refs, of which so long as they are still allowed to participate they shouldn't have too hard of a time doing, it may be possible! hell id volunteer to ref.

Edited by Siriothrax, 05 April 2016 - 11:38 AM.

#63 Homeless Bill

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationA Box Near You

Posted 05 April 2016 - 11:58 AM

View PostMatt Newman, on 05 April 2016 - 08:52 AM, said:

Hey everyone! we are listening to constructive feedback and we are willing to adjust the gameplay rules!
I have personally spent hours talking with other league organizers to gather feedback on our gameplay rules, structure, maps and tonnage rules.
These things can and will be adjusted but I will gleefully skip past feedback that comes with a side serving vitriol.

I'm glad that you're open to adjustments, but I guess the real question is why - if you actually spent hours talking to league organizers or even looking at the format for other leagues - you would post one of the worst, most ***-backwards formats you could have proposed initially? There's a reason that vitriolic outcries happen, and it's because PGI pitches something scary stupid that clearly took no feedback from the community.

This announcement should have been your big moment in the sun, and like so many others, it's going to be lost fighting over the basic details that any league organizer or serious competitive player could have sorted out for you weeks ago. It baffles me that PGI insists on the fail --> rabble --> triage route instead of getting **** sorted ahead of time.

There is simply no way any league organizer told you, "Yeah skirmish is the way to go," or, "You'll only need a roster of 12 for teams of 8," or, "Yeah people will be fine using random mice in the finals." I really wish you folks would pick a few long-time players and run things by a stupid detector before announcing big things - all of this rabble is of PGI's own making.

#64 VoodooLou Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 595 posts
  • LocationMember #2618

Posted 05 April 2016 - 12:01 PM

I would think that a Exclusive to the Tournament map should be used that no one will have access to until the time of the Battles. Since this is basically turning Amateurs into Professionals (once you get paid for doing something you go Pro) they shouldnt have any type of advantage over each other that exposure to the map prior to the event would give, since the players wont become pro's until the 3rd place team wins the match that puts them in 3rd place, having no knowledge of what to expect will PROVE that Yes these players really are the best of the best because they can think on their feet. If they have map access prior to the events then the team that can spend more time on the map will have the advantage which just shows better preparation ability rather than just Piloting skills.

#65 Willothius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 187 posts
  • LocationThe Great Mechbay In The Sky.

Posted 05 April 2016 - 12:14 PM

View PostVoodooLou Kerensky, on 05 April 2016 - 12:01 PM, said:

I would think that a Exclusive to the Tournament map should be used that no one will have access to until the time of the Battles

Well, that's why The Void was announced recently, wasn't it? ;)

#66 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 12:21 PM

SO EXCITED!!! I GOTTA BE IN A TEAM!!! :D

#67 Kael Posavatz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 971 posts
  • LocationOn a quest to find the Star League

Posted 05 April 2016 - 12:39 PM

There are...issues.

1) On the 'support the tournament' page Conquest is not listed as a game mode that grants XP bonuses to those purchasing the Support Package

2) The 'Faction Warfare' game modes are a copy-paste of the Quick Play game modes

3) Those who would be willing to give additional support cannot do so. I mean, the XP bonus doesn't need to stack, but you could certainly add additional cockpit items to an account just like when you pick 'faction content' for a mech package you get the skins/colors once, but can get multiple copies of the cockpit items

4) Giving all the money to one person to distribute might make things a little easier on your end. But Canada's revenue service is going to want a cut, and some countries tax income earned outside of their borders (USA is one of them). So by the time 'distribution' rolls around there is far less to distribute than you suggest (not to mention, taxed again as 'earned income' for player 2)

5) You've run an official tournament before. As I recall it featured a lot of mechs standing around/not doing anything because skirmish mode means there are no objectives that a team can use to force another to participate.

6) Having the Team Captain locked creates a failure point. If he is injured in car accident/dies/whatever, his (or her) team is hosed because the 'Team Captain' is no longer available to do stuff.

7) Tonnage limit of 0-1200? This makes very little sense as the most tonnage an 8-person team can bring is 800 tons, and the minimum an 8 person team can bring is 160 tons. (In other words, only 53% of your proposed tonnage range is actually playable).

8) Single elimination. This makes tournaments dead simple to run. But you are hosting a 13-hour event for the 'grand finals'. The matches are going to last less than two hours, even if there is a lot of 'standing around doing nothing'. It also opens a team up to winning by luck/freak chance. Yes, this happens on a battlefield, but it doesn't give a true demonstration of skill or ability.

9) Skirmish. Boring. A lot of standing around and poking. Lack of alternative objectives to draw the other team out to defend, or pressure them to attack. Furthermore, forcing teams to fight on a variety of map/game mode combinations will given a better showing and be a truer test of skill and ability

10) Open ended tech. Forcing teams to commit to IS or Clan tech would be a great way to pump up hype and increase interest. Since this isn't a thing, I expect all the teams are going to look more or less like one another.

Edited by Kael 17, 05 April 2016 - 12:40 PM.

#68 627

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 12:40 PM

so, I'm just curious, what kind of 4 button mouse will be provided? Is it symetrical?

I mean, sure, us lefties are a rare species, but we exist. And if you give people these nice ergonomic right-hand formed gaming mice I'd expect at least some complaints about it. And by the way, what serious gaming mouse has only 4 buttons? Standard is 3, normal is 5 and good mice have 7+...

#69 Joe Mallad

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 05 April 2016 - 12:54 PM

View PostMatt Newman, on 05 April 2016 - 08:52 AM, said:

Hey everyone! we are listening to constructive feedback and we are willing to adjust the gameplay rules!
I have personally spent hours talking with other league organizers to gather feedback on our gameplay rules, structure, maps and tonnage rules.
These things can and will be adjusted but I will gleefully skip past feedback that comes with a side serving vitriol.
I just don't need that kind of energy in my life right now (winky face)

Namaste.
so why only 12 characters for team names? Are we supposed to abbreviate our unit names? Example... My unit is "The Dreadnought Merc Corps" we go by TDMC but if we put just "Dreadnoughts" will that be enough for the naming system to recognize us from the unit list that's established in game already?

Edited by Yoseful Mallad, 05 April 2016 - 12:55 PM.

#70 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 05 April 2016 - 01:01 PM

Before we get too excite... there are some issues here:

MWO NEVER had any kind of on-going competition or an always online leaderboard of any kind.

Comp lvl play was only a thing among a very small number of players and it was mostly less than 10 teams dominating and wiping the floor with any and every team who tried those competitions.

MWO has a very small player count (compared to other E-sports) and talent concentration is mostly around 2 or 3 poles. So, out of curiosity, what will be the incentive of an average player like me to even consider participating?
I can give you the names of the winning players and teams... right now!

Its a bit different from a big sports event. In big sports events, everyone has a good idea about who the champion may be, BUT the underdog players have incentive to participate because they can change their life by showing excellent performance and receiving offers from big clubs.

So I ask again... what will be the incentive of an average player like me to even consider participating?

#71 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 05 April 2016 - 01:09 PM

THE HIGHEST SKILL TOURNAMENT IN ESPORTS???

Really? Must we embarrass MWO??

Edited by LakeDaemon, 05 April 2016 - 01:10 PM.

#72 Antares102

• Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 01:18 PM

View PostTercieI, on 05 April 2016 - 09:18 AM, said:

Blunt question then: If you've spent hours talking to organizers about rules, how did these ever get to press? No league would ever or has ever used "unlimited skirmish." No vitriol, just bafflement.

This is so f ucking awesome true !

Edited by Antares102, 05 April 2016 - 01:18 PM.

#73 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 05 April 2016 - 01:19 PM

View PostGlory, on 05 April 2016 - 09:06 AM, said:

TBF, no finalists will be using joysticks anyway.

Actually, i think finalists should be forced to use joysticks. <maniacal Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image>

#74 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 05 April 2016 - 01:25 PM

View PostTheCharlatan, on 05 April 2016 - 09:22 AM, said:

Everyone knows real mechwarriors use steering wheels.

Not this youngling:

Posted Image

#75 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 05 April 2016 - 01:40 PM

View PostGlory, on 05 April 2016 - 11:14 AM, said:

why have I never seen your name in a league?

Seriously, did you have to go there? <smh>

#76 Pinscher

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 02:01 PM

I am an American.
Single, white and male.
I love guns and respect people for their gods.
I refuse to fly because of sexual molestation.
I am a Veteran, who was trained with explosives.
I hate Islam.
I hate my government.

I am everything my government hates. If I should happen to be good enough for the finals, I wont be able to attend. I either wont be able to go to Canada, or come back. Dont scoff this off, there are many of us.

#77 Danghen Woolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 339 posts
  • LocationHarlech, Romulus, Outreach

Posted 05 April 2016 - 02:04 PM

Here is a great idea for a tournament... 8v8, stock IS only, no Hero, no Champion, 400 ton limit. Now that I would watch...

The current setup and rules will be a ton of ERLL Ravens, S-SRM-6 Ryokens, and whatever else the "Comp" flavor of the week is. As it is written it will be like watching

Good luck to all the teams though.

#78 PraetorGix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 740 posts
  • LocationHere at home

Posted 05 April 2016 - 02:13 PM

View PostMoebius1, on 05 April 2016 - 08:09 AM, said:

Mechbay sale please.

Second the motion.

#79 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 02:34 PM

Just a thought I had when I read that the mouse will be provided by PGI....I hope you remember that there are people that are left handed. Using a righthand mouse in your left hand is annoing and if its one of these oh so ergonomic ones. It simply hurts after a short while.
So giveing people what they are used to...good idea.

Something else that bothered me. Why fixed screen resolution but not fixed amount of details?

#80 Top Gun Killer

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 69 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 05 April 2016 - 02:37 PM

https://www.reddit.c...ats_coded_into/

This is why they shouldn't let people bring a keyboard and mouse to event.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users