Mechwarrior Online World Championships 2016

174 replies to this topic

#81 Felbombling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,976 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 05 April 2016 - 02:41 PM

It feels like we've gone back in time to April 1, 2016.

#82 Radkres

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 02:43 PM

What About those people who are Disabled and require a Special setup? o.O

#83 Kageru Ikazuchi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 02:49 PM

In order to be eligible for participation in a Region, no less than 51% of your Team Roster must reside within that Region.

At a minimum, this should change to no less than 51% of your Core Members and no less than 51% of your Team Roster.

I would prefer 76%, to be honest.

#84 signal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 105 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 02:54 PM

View PostUncle Russ, on 05 April 2016 - 02:37 PM, said:

https://www.reddit.c...ats_coded_into/

This is why they shouldn't let people bring a keyboard and mouse to event.

Making sure the software is a clean slate or having an approved list of hardware shouldn't be that difficult. Sure, it's an issue, but players in competitive gaming have preferred gear. If I've been training for MRBC season 7 for a month, and then played all the way to week 4 with my Razer Mamba, I'd be pretty pissed to find out I now have to switch to some generic 4 button mouse. I'm used to my mouse, I like it, the whole reason I got it was because it was the most comfortable fit for me (and honestly I'm one of those people where there's really only a few mice models that I find to be truly comfortable).

Of course, this is still the least troublesome aspect of the tournament. Personally, I feel that the tonnage and drop limitations should follow MRBC very closely.
  • Don't use skirmish
  • don't use 0-1200 tonnage (although it's pretty obvious they wrote 0-1200 because they expected to tweak it, since an 8 man can't even use all of that)
  • make some tech and duplicate restrictions
  • have different tonnage rules for different drops
  • use double elimination
  • allow players to use their own peripherals
  • increase roster size to 16 at least
I'm not really angry at the way this was set up, I really think it has potential to be great, but please PGI, take in the feedback from the fantastic players from teams like EmP, SJR, Lords, AS, etc. and league organizers that have worked hard to create a great competitive scene. The fact that I'm seeing some of the best players posting in the forums with feedback, shows that folks do care.

#85 Top Gun Killer

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 69 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 05 April 2016 - 03:07 PM

View Postsignal, on 05 April 2016 - 02:54 PM, said:

Making sure the software is a clean slate or having an approved list of hardware shouldn't be that difficult. Sure, it's an issue, but players in competitive gaming have preferred gear. If I've been training for MRBC season 7 for a month, and then played all the way to week 4 with my Razer Mamba, I'd be pretty pissed to find out I now have to switch to some generic 4 button mouse. I'm used to my mouse, I like it, the whole reason I got it was because it was the most comfortable fit for me (and honestly I'm one of those people where there's really only a few mice models that I find to be truly comfortable).

Of course, this is still the least troublesome aspect of the tournament. Personally, I feel that the tonnage and drop limitations should follow MRBC very closely.
  • Don't use skirmish
  • don't use 0-1200 tonnage (although it's pretty obvious they wrote 0-1200 because they expected to tweak it, since an 8 man can't even use all of that)
  • make some tech and duplicate restrictions
  • have different tonnage rules for different drops
  • use double elimination
  • allow players to use their own peripherals
  • increase roster size to 16 at least
I'm not really angry at the way this was set up, I really think it has potential to be great, but please PGI, take in the feedback from the fantastic players from teams like EmP, SJR, Lords, AS, etc. and league organizers that have worked hard to create a great competitive scene. The fact that I'm seeing some of the best players posting in the forums with feedback, shows that folks do care.

Yea shouldn't be that hard for PGI to do it when CS:GO a much much much bigger name couldn't even do it ...

#86 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 05 April 2016 - 03:10 PM

View PostDanghen Woolf, on 05 April 2016 - 02:04 PM, said:

Here is a great idea for a tournament... 8v8, stock IS only, no Hero, no Champion, 400 ton limit. Now that I would watch...

The current setup and rules will be a ton of ERLL Ravens, S-SRM-6 Ryokens, and whatever else the "Comp" flavor of the week is. As it is written it will be like watching

Trust me, if it were stock only every team would be running only a few mechs. Stock mode does not increase variety since only a few stock mechs are worth running.

If you actually want variety, you should do MRBC style rules with mech restrictions. It forces teams to get creative with drop decks and builds so even mechs like Orions and Shadow Cats end up being used for some drops.

Edited by Krivvan, 05 April 2016 - 03:11 PM.

#87 Peiper

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 1,444 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationA fog where no one notices the contrast of white on white

Posted 05 April 2016 - 03:16 PM

It turns my blood to think that the money I've paid for mech packs is going to this and not more content for everyone. The mechs are already overpriced. Feeling a little bent over tonight.

#88 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,254 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 05 April 2016 - 03:18 PM

View PostKrivvan, on 05 April 2016 - 03:10 PM, said:

Trust me, if it were stock only every team would be running only a few mechs. Stock mode does not increase variety since only a few stock mechs are worth running.

If you actually want variety, you should do MRBC style rules with mech restrictions. It forces teams to get creative with drop decks and builds so even mechs like Orions and Shadow Cats end up being used for some drops.

I do really like the max 1 of any chassis, with one duplicate allowed rule. It certainly does bring lots of variety and makes creating a drop deck more interesting.

View PostPeiper, on 05 April 2016 - 03:16 PM, said:

It turns my blood to think that the money I've paid for mech packs is going to this and not more content for everyone. The mechs are already overpriced. Feeling a little bent over tonight.

You mean your money is being turned into more money for more content by helping the exposure of this game?

#89 mdmzero0

• WC 2017 Shoutcaster
  • WC 2017 Shoutcaster
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 03:40 PM

PGI, please. This is your big chance to put a huge spotlight on the game in general, with some of the best players in the game showing just how exciting it can be. Please, please, please, please, please talk to the community run league organizers.

They have been doing this for years. I promise you they have found every problem you may think of, they've encountered every combination of gameplay and rules in an attempt to make comp play as fair and as fun as possible, and they can help you set up the rules so you don't have to do it all yourself. This is a win-win situation- they help take the workload off you by showing you what already works and what doesn't, how they know, etc., and you get to put together a super exciting tournament that has the potential to raise interest in MWO like nothing else.

What you have so far is not it.

#90 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 03:51 PM

View PostAleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, on 05 April 2016 - 08:29 AM, said:

Tonnage 1200?

Tonnage?

Posted Image

Edited by White Bear 84, 05 April 2016 - 03:53 PM.

#91 Túatha Dé Danann

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 1,164 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 April 2016 - 03:59 PM

Aside from the price pool:

a) Motivation
Not everyone is into money, most of us SPEND money to play this game. So a tounament should be something promoting E-Sports, getting people into the boat, having a good time and giving them something in return. Are there teams in the lower skill levels? Yes. Do they have a reason to participate? Not really. Beside the 3 winning teams, there is not motivation set from this tournament to participate. You could simply take the 4 best teams from the internal server statistics and shorten up the overall tournament and be done with it.

Is this fun? No. Does this promote E-Sports? No. Is that a motivation? No? Do the rule-sets create any kind of room for creativity that is fun for the viewers to watch? No.

This is (I'm sad to say this) what happens, if you don't know stuff about your own game.

b ) Listen to the people who already organized big leagues. They have been and are able to get all kinds of groups under one roof, while maintaining fun for everyone. Do you have a weak team of noobs? You want to try it out and still give the community something back? Nice! You have a tryhard team of pros that goes full out and shows the max. amount of what is possible? Nice! Do you get that under one roof PGI? Nope. But you have to.

c) This is not just an event, this is a chance to push the little trust you gained after tossing out IGP into something bigger and you are wasting it. The only question I have to this is: Why? I mean: Really, why? Is that so hard to listen to people who already have experience in organizing this stuff? Is it an ego problem or what?!

Please sort out that stuff, come clear with the community and make it worth participating - for everyone!

Edited by Túatha Dé Danann, 05 April 2016 - 04:01 PM.

#92 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 04:04 PM

My thoughts -

----Stat tracking is currently and for a long time been terrible. The exports won't magically be better for the tourney client.

----*It's going to be boring as hell for spectators.* -- This is extremely important, we've been harping on PGI to actually start implementing objective based gameplay since closed beta - so this event will really put forth how extremely one-dimensional this game is to anyone that bothers to tune in.

Even more so if you use Skirmish mode, the least interesting of all the modes, as the standard bearer.... at least use a modified Invasion, Counter Attack, Domination with switched up locations or something that people might actually garner some amount of interest from watching.

---PGI hasn't done an actual tournament yet, but they want to start out with a fairly large payout one? Alright, well how do you suspect that will work out when it starts to show through that PGI has exactly 0 experience running these things even on a small scale?

---Going to use a stand alone version of the client from the May 17th patch. Given how well the (non-existent) QA dept. has been doing with the last three patches this is probably not a great idea.

--- Teams get disqualified for dropping short on players? Seriously? If a team can win with less than 8 against a full 8 then they should be crowned and Russ should give them his house.

--- Macros are "discouraged" for pre-finals play, yet they will be allowed.... It's like saying HGH is cool all season long but you better skip that injection before the Super Bowl.

By far the biggest issue I see the event having beyond the fact that they clearly decided to launch it without experience or at the least actually talking to experienced tourney operators is that the goal has to be to generate revenue through new customers who are going to be bored to death because the game play lacks any interesting direction to generate tension between the teams (much less tension for the commentators to hype up for the spectators).

Rushed tourney will likely equal quite poor results.

#93 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 April 2016 - 04:08 PM

Lot of people use these... and they won't be allowed? 0_o

Posted Image

#94 lpmagic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • 319 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 04:13 PM

Everyone is so excited :)

I understand.

Here is some feedback for you matt/PGI

8v8 = good stuff

15:00 minute match time = also good stuff

Map TBD = Good call, randomise it, but eliminate at least one certain map, possibly two, I would recommend eliminating Terra therma and Viridian Bog. I would also, for the sake of variety, announce the maps 24 hours prior to match to allow various constructs for viable deck building.

Tonnage TBD = Again, very good choice. I would honestly take a look at how MRBC currently arranges the specification process. I am NOT saying to mimic that particular set, but similar should be easy to create and will set up for very dynamic builds from each different team. I would heartily recommend taking a look at banning some weapons from drops that say "are less then 400 tons" like clan streaks, they simply do not work in this environment and should be disallowed, there are some weapons at many different stages to take a look at. Please speak to the heads of the current and former leagues to help come up with something that fits the need to force variance in the game, MRBC is a shining example of that variance, and once again is a good template for success at least in format overall.

Peripherals No personal peripherals allowed = IMHO this is a tough choice, on one hand, it puts everyone on even footing, with the exception that some people have never used simply a keyboard and mouse, you have just put them at a disadvantage, right in the door, like myself, I have used a game pad since the inception of the game, could I use a keyboard? why certainly, will I be as effective, why certainly not. A mouse and keyboard should be allowed, I doubt very much if you would lack for volunteers from the mech con to vet each individual piece of equipment to check for chicanery. Please ask developers of other e-sports scenes to help in this regard. if barring all of that, you simply have to go with what is on hand ( I understand the sponsorship world quite well) please do your best to make it relatively inexpensive but good quality, and announce exactly what it will be PRIOR to the inception of the tourney, giving us time to adjust and try to create new mechanics for ourselves, you want the best show possible, and so do we.

Now for some other ideas to address:

1. Please allow for "best of five" for qualifying rounds, it is fairly standard now, and can be done in 1-2 hours per match.

2. Please allow 7 minutes in between matches for players to re- ready, gather mechs, add or subtract modules, but no more, mechwarriors dawdle if given the opportunity. I will praise your "two minute late rule" this is good, hold firm please.

3. Please add language that will discourage a tie in any form, what that is, is up for debate, but using conquest to force movement and strategy has been proving a boon to the competitive scene, and after a very long time, teams are forced to fight more then ever now. Please consider conquest.

4. Rosters need to be very malleable. it is totally understandable to only "pay" for the playing eight for every team, costs are a bear to undertake. Allow teams to fill their rosters to somewhere between 16-20, this will help with, Attrition (a natural progression in anything competitive) real life, you are almost unilaterally guaranteed to lose at least one player via real life wife/spousal Agro. By allowing that, and continuing to make it clear that teams will only bring 8 players, and be allowed to "self pay" for an additional 4, you let the players themselves work out the specifics of who has made it and who has not, this is why teams have leaders, allow them to self police in this manner, your tournament will be better for it . We, and you, do not want a single team to DQ because they could not get their folks together, honestly, you/we really don't.

5. I would encourage you to take a somewhat harsher stance in regards to the regionalization of this tournament. by allowing 49% from a different country/locality, you are leaving things open for teams to combine their NA/euro/OC teams, and this will not bode well, as a matter of fact, it might be overwhelming. I do not think that requiring 76% would be overly problematic the way you have drawn up the boundaries. I further would expect you to show some latitude in this for folk who simply can not find enough people in their region for a team, show some magnanimous tendencies in this regard, it will stand you in good stead. IMHO your terms now are far too lenient.

I honestly believe this tournament is a great idea, and I wish it to succeed in the most strenuous of terms. Please take from us what you need, but please listen as well. feel free to reach out at any time, in any way. I would be happy to help garner information from almost any source, and or help smooth the road to contacting people. We honestly need each other (the players and you) in this endeavor. Allow us our moments of passion as it can overtake us at times, we mean for the best to happen in the end, no matter how it gets there.

Every single person on here that is complaining is passionate in some way or another about this game, understand that about 90% of that vitriol you refer to comes from wanting things to go right.

Thank you for your time

Lpmagic

#95 mdmzero0

• WC 2017 Shoutcaster
  • WC 2017 Shoutcaster
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 04:17 PM

View Postlpmagic, on 05 April 2016 - 04:13 PM, said:

2. Please allow 7 minutes in between matches for players to re- ready, gather mechs, add or subtract modules, but no more, mechwarriors dawdle if given the opportunity. I will praise your "two minute late rule" this is good, hold firm please.
Lpmagic

The only problem with a 2 minute rule is some players with large inventories already experience 2+ minute save/load times.

#96 lpmagic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • 319 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 04:22 PM

View Postmdmzero0, on 05 April 2016 - 04:17 PM, said:

The only problem with a 2 minute rule is some players with large inventories already experience 2+ minute save/load times.

Like me????

the two minute rule I refer to is "2 minutes late" I was saying 7 minutes in between games would be a good solid number. Especially since players would have enough in game currency to set up all mechs without switching modules back and forth, as well as the tournament build likely haveing less mechs in your inventory :)

#97 Cato Zilks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 698 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationPrinceton, NJ

Posted 05 April 2016 - 04:24 PM

Dear all,

PGI says they are still open to suggestions and they want the discussion here in your forums. So lets focus the discussion on constructive proposals.

1) Lets have matches be best of three.
  • Match one, conquest with a 430 ton drop cap.
  • Match two, domination with a 580 ton drop cap.
  • Match three, skirmish with a 475 ton drop cap.
    • Tie Breaker, Assault with a 450 ton drop cap. Takes as many rounds as needed to find a winner.
2) Lets have limitations on chassis type brought (all variants count toward the same chassis). I suggest the team can only play only 1 of each chassis per match, and can only play a chassis in two of the three matches.

In tiebreakers, once a mech is used in a tiebreaker match, it may not be used again in further tiebreaker matches between those teams.

This means the team of eight must field 16 mech-types at a minimum, but may want more backups in case of tiebreakers.

#98 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 05 April 2016 - 04:25 PM

View Postmdmzero0, on 05 April 2016 - 04:17 PM, said:

If I skimmed the rules right, you won't have anything but oodles of cbills and xp/gxp to get whatever you would want or need. Do you really need, or more to the point, want all the mechs in your inventory for this endeavor.

#99 mdmzero0

• WC 2017 Shoutcaster
  • WC 2017 Shoutcaster
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 04:31 PM

View PostBilbo, on 05 April 2016 - 04:25 PM, said:

If I skimmed the rules right, you won't have anything but oodles of cbills and xp/gxp to get whatever you would want or need. Do you really need, or more to the point, want all the mechs in your inventory for this endeavor.

True, but what if you buy every possible mech you'll bring and multiples for each loadout so you can swap without moving stuff around?

#100 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 05 April 2016 - 04:35 PM

View Postmdmzero0, on 05 April 2016 - 04:31 PM, said:

True, but what if you buy every possible mech you'll bring and multiples for each loadout so you can swap without moving stuff around?

I believe the point of the oodles of cbills and xp is so they are sitting there as needed. Just name them appropriately, pick the one you want, and go. No need to save anything.

Edited by Bilbo, 05 April 2016 - 04:36 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users